Start by marking “The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles: The Authenic Voices of England, from the Time of Julius Caesar to the Coronation of Henry II” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  4 reviews
From the Roman occupation to the coronation of Henry II, a thousand years of English history are recorded in the Anglo-Saxon chronicles. Translated into modern prose by Anne Savage, and accompanied by informative commentary, the voices of old speak from the pages of this accessible book, providing an insight into life as it really was in England during this period.Lavishly...more
Published April 1st 1997 by Continental Enterprises Group (first published December 31st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles

Graham
In a nutshell, this hefty hardback is a reproduction of the Anglo-Saxon chronicle, a yearly account of English deeds from the birth of Christ to the 12th century. It was written by monks and the first half is retrospective; it wasn't until King Alfred's era that this chronicle was actually begun.

Anne Savage has translated and collated the chronicle into a fine-looking account. My only issue is with her statement in the foreword that "we have presented the Chronicles selectively, [...:] the langu...more
Judy
A translation of the chronicles coupled with illustrations and a historical review of the times. Singles out historical figures, architecture and art from Roman occupation to the battle of hastings, and beyond to Henry II. Great illustrations and pictures from relevant archeology. I would have liked more information on language development and mythology but in terms of a generous overview, this was book has been one of my better finds.
Noelle
The nerd in me made an appearance because I really loved this book. It was written like a historical chronology and so I just read a detailed timeline. I am related to some of the people in the book so it was neat to read about the things that they did.
Pete daPixie
Love this book, with it's translated chronicles laid out year by year from Julius Caesar to Henry II with some tasty illustrations.
Chris Naylor
Chris Naylor marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Blotwulf
Blotwulf marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 29, 2014
Glenn Golaszewski
Glenn Golaszewski marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Sonya
Sonya is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Neutro
Neutro marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Carmen Lyndley
Carmen Lyndley marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Bill Godman
Bill Godman marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Cale
Cale added it
Jan 04, 2014
Bhofman68
Bhofman68 marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2013
Diocletian
Diocletian marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Brooke Bird
Brooke Bird marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Jessi
Jessi added it
Jun 21, 2013
Tessa
Tessa added it
May 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Anchoritic Spirituality: Ancrene Wisse and Associated Works The Anglo-Saxon Chronicles