Start by marking “The Second Coming of Steve Jobs” as Want to Read:
The Second Coming of Steve Jobs

The Second Coming of Steve Jobs

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  939 ratings  ·  38 reviews
From the acclaimed Vanity Fair and GQ journalist' an unprecedented, in-depth portrait of the man whose return to Apple precipitated one of the biggest turnarounds in business history. With a new epilogue on Apple's future survival in today's roller-coaster economy, here is the revealing biography that blew away the critics and stirred controversy within industry and media ...more
Published September 11th 2001 by Crown Business (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Coming of Steve Jobs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Coming of Steve Jobs

Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonHackers by Steven LevyGhost in the Wires by Kevin D. MitnickThe Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford StolliWoz by Steve Wozniak
Silicon Valley
18th out of 158 books — 263 voters
The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveySteal Like an Artist by Austin KleonThe 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy FerrissRework by Jason FriedThe $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau
The People's Library for Success
146th out of 188 books — 244 voters

More lists with this book...

Harrismatte
I used Tandy TSR 80 and Commodore 64 computers in middle school. Circa late middle school, early high school my parents bought us an Apple IIe for Christmas. That computer saw us through high school history and English papers (along with a dot matrix printer). I was aware that other Apple computers had come out during that time, but I didn't pay much attention. There were IBM computers in college, and I bought my own IBM compatible PC after freshman year and ran Windows 3.1. Graduate school had ...more
Y
What a great read. It had a drama, dirt, personalities, and style. It was my first encounter with the legend. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Personally, I find it so easy to worship this man. He has lots of bad qualities. Even those traits, I find them attractive. I guess that's what charisma means. Steve jobs has almost every trait that a leader should have. He's that unique.
Sheila
This is was and still remains to be a major inspiration for me!
If you are a computer tech head, business owner or a creative person,
I highly recommend this read!
Alan
This book was written after the second coming of Steve Jobs but before the third coming. (i.e. before the iPod). He had made Apple a success, then been kicked out, Made a real hash of NEXT and was funding but failing badly at Pixar. And then completely due to his funding but not really due to any management from Jobs, (in fact he had been trying to sell Pixar for years, was laying off lots of loyal staff without any payoffs) suddenly Toy Story came out and Jobs pushed his way to the front and ce ...more
Lyn Richards
Steve Jobs was a driven man who was a futurist and brought Apple back from the brink of extinction, and brought us an iGeneration of everything. That is of course after being fired by Apple many decades earlier, fighting his own inner demons, and quite frankly if this book is to be believed an Jekyll and Hyde character of the charismatic persona to an absolute prick to those who worked for him and interviewed him.

As a parent I also did not warm to a person that would not acknowledge his first b
Rodney
Clearly this book did not add a great deal to the often rumored Bi-Polar personality of Steve Jobs. It did however add a very important concept, technology isn't so much about producing a product any longer, it's about content and content consumption.

I do not know a great deal of the early history of Apple. At some point Jobs had to have technical knowledge along the lines of Bill Gates writing software code. As explained in this book, he's a marketing person and in fact one of the worst produc
Benedict Isles
Insider view of Steve Jobs' workings in the Silicon Valley. You'll get to know not just Steve Jobs but all of the actors and actresses in the blockbuster movie of his life. Plus, it's an honest sketch of Good Steve and Bad Steve. Amazing, inspiring, gripping, engaging.

Best birthday gift ever!! Thanks, babe!
Carl
The true story of how Steve Jobs pulled himself back up after being fired from Apple Computer to retake the reigns of one of the most unique computer companies that ever existed. He went on to return the company to greatness, but this book only predicted that it would happen -- then it actually did.
C.D. Reimer
I recently re-read this book since the death of Steve Jobs. This is my favorite book about Steve Jobs, taking place between his firing from Apple, forming NeXT in the aftermath, buying Pixar from George Lucas, and returning to Apple. The book ends long before iTunes, iPods and iPads are introduced that would form Steve Jobs' lasting legacy. A great read.
Dan
Great read if you are at all interested in the world of business, technology, or Apple Inc. Steve is a fascinating person.

PG-13 equivalent for language quoting Jobs

(I sent a letter to the author asking about whether Jobs had read the book. The author responded that Jobs claims not to have read it.)
Cesar Gonzalez
May 14, 2007 Cesar Gonzalez rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People looking for a good story
Shelves: business, biographies
I always find it fascinating to learn about the personalties behind some of the world's best known names. This one was particularly interesting because Steve Jobs is one of those larger than life characters, and frankly I knew next to nothing about him before reading this book.
thom
Interesting enough, but poorly written, very journalistic, and broadly lacking in any sources able to give real insight into Steve Jobs as a person.

Also, if he tells me that a company was 'bleeding money' one more time, he's going to find himself bleeding too.
Chris Lee
My first Jobs book. Really enjoyed it. It mainly detailed the time between his stints at Apple, talking much about NeXT, Pixar and such. I'd heard some stuff regarding how critical he could be. His style was covered in detail. I found that to be intriguing.
Chris Davis
This is a great story of the man who got kicked out of Apple and then asked back. I choose this over the Woz book as I thought the Job's story was probably more interesting. His twist and turns are actually quite entertaining. I would recommend.
Harish Puvvula
Digressive nonetheless it is about my hero. I enjoyed it. #first read on March 13 2010

/*** read this book for the third time. Narration was journalistic at times( as if it is an excerpt from a newspaper) but the research is good.
***/
Dwayne Ackley
A great book about Steve Jobs, post-Apple until NeXT was taken over and he went back. Also goes right up to the debut of iTunes and the complete turnaround of the company.
Neven
A gossipy collection of loosely connected stories about Steve Jobs. Clearly a journalist's book, it proceeds in paragraph fits and keeps restating its premises.
Jamie
A balanced and interesting look at the stories Steve never wanted you to hear. Still one of the kings of Jobs bios in my opinion, right along with the authorized one.
Omar Vásquez
A fascinating look at Steve Jobs' life until year 2000, as he was making his successful come back to Apple, before the iPhone/iPad phenomenon.
Erwin
Read before Jobs passed away.
Interesting story. Interesting life.
Too bad Jobs didn't write an auto-biography.
Stay foolish, stay hungry.
Papa
You get to know who and what Jobs is and his role in Apple as well as the history of Apple. Like Woz, it is a great book for Apple fans.
Lauren
If you're a Mac fan, this is a must read. I would like to lock Steve Jobs in a room with my father and see how it would turn out. ;)
David
A better biography than Issacson's- far more detail and texture to Steve's adventures. I loved this book.
Davy Buntinx
Zeer interessant boek uit 2000 over Steve Jobs tijd en rol bij NeXt, Pixar en zijn terugkeer bij Apple.
Warren
Jul 28, 2011 Warren marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not very good. Insider's homage to the creator of the "reality distortion field." Too much homage, in fact.
Matt Coulson
Really interesting story told here which really brings to bear the genius that was Steve Jobs.
Andrew
Why Apple is so powerful and successful. You need to be an ass (at times) to win.
Jaret Manuel
Very similar to the book iCon. Another great book regarding the iconic leader of Apple.
Sameer
Not bad.

Not very complimentry to Jobs, who does seem have some dark shades.
Siew Hong
A wonderful portrait of the man at the time before the iPhone and the iPad.
  • Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple, and How It Changed the World
  • The Innovation Secrets of Steve Jobs
  • Steve Jobs the Journey is the Reward: The Journey is the Reward
  • The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation
  • Infinite Loop: How Apple, the World's Most Insanely Great Computer Company, Went Insane
  • WIRED: Steve Jobs, Revolutionary
  • Apple Confidential 2.0: The Definitive History of the World's Most Colorful Company
  • The Macintosh Way
  • Inside Intel: Andy Grove and the Rise of the World's Most Powerful Chip Company
  • Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs, A Parody
  • Accidental Empires
  • Dealers of Lightning: Xerox PARC and the Dawn of the Computer Age
  • Odyssey: Pepsi to Apple : A Journey of Adventure, Ideas, and the Future
  • The Search: How Google and Its Rivals Rewrote the Rules of Business and Transformed Our Culture
  • Inside Apple
  • The Silicon Boys: And Their Valley of Dreams
  • Just for Fun: The Story of an Accidental Revolutionary
  • Revolution in The Valley: The Insanely Great Story of How the Mac Was Made
Alan Deutschman is currently writing "Walk the Walk," a book about leadership, which will be published in September 2009 by the Portfolio imprint at Penguin.

His blog about leadership is at:
More about Alan Deutschman...
Change or Die: The Three Keys to Change at Work and in Life A Tale of Two Valleys: Wine, Wealth and the Battle for the Good Life in Napa and Sonoma Walk the Walk: The #1 Rule for Real Leaders Winning Money for College, 3rd Ed Change or Die