Start by marking “Northern Lights” as Want to Read:
Northern Lights

Northern Lights

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  32,731 Ratings  ·  906 Reviews
Lunacy was Nate Burke's last chance. As a Baltimore cop, he'd watched his partner die on the street-and the guilt still haunts him. With nowhere else to go, he accepts the job as Chief of Police in this tiny, remote Alaskan town. Aside from sorting out a run-in between a couple of motor vehicles and a moose, he finds his first weeks on the job are relatively quiet. But jus ...more
Published October 12th 2004 by G.P. Putnam’s Sons

To ask other readers questions about Northern Lights, please sign up.

Nicole R Nora Roberts has written over 200 books! If you liked this I would recommend picking up others by her. She is one of my favorites and I would…moreNora Roberts has written over 200 books! If you liked this I would recommend picking up others by her. She is one of my favorites and I would recommend Midnight Bayou.

I also really enjoy Sandra Brown's books. A recent one I enjoyed is Deadline.(less)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenKiss an Angel by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsIt Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneCan You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella
Favorite Romances
152nd out of 644 books — 304 voters
Everything She Ever Wanted by Ann RuleThe Pregnancy Project by Gaby RodriguezHe Sees You When You're Sleeping by Mary Higgins ClarkMontana Sky by Nora RobertsMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Lifetime Movies Based On Books
31st out of 78 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Blacky *Romance Addict*

I think this is the first dude-lit book I've ever read.

I have to say I loved it!!
Maybe it was the narrator (who was brilliant), or just the character of Nate <3 but I really enjoyed this one.
What's really surprising is that the story here is REALLY slow, the romance as well, the suspense takes hours to get to it, but damn, I didn't really give a sh*t ahahahhahahah I just wanted to know more about him and his past and how he adjusts to life in Alaska.
Watched the movie too. Sucked. But the ma
Vishous
bUdDy rEaD wItH mY BeLgIuM wAfFlE

This was slow, but I've read books that are slower. Loved the journal entries the most, and everything how Alaska was described, especially because I have always wanted to go and see it.
The main hero was perfect, tortured soul, but NORMAL!!!
Didn't like the main heroine till almost the end. Started to like her when she started to act more ... let's say tender.

Wish I could say it gripped me, but sadly it didn't. I would even love it more without romance in it, bu
Evaine
Mar 27, 2008 Evaine rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Linda
Besides the fact that one of GRs friends (Thank you, Pa!) told me that NORTHERN LIGHTS had some similarities to THE WITNESS, (my favorite NR’s romantic suspense), I was intrigued to see the story posted under What Book Would You Like To Live In?. Of course, there were over 2,500 books listed under this title but I was still interested nonetheless.

So while I was sweltering in our humid 90+ degree weather and waiting for autumn to arrive, I decided to visit Lunacy, Alaska. Population: 506. And be
Michelle
Jan 01, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This book is a perfect example of why I love Nora Roberts so much. It takes a lot for me to want to move anywhere in the north where winters are long and harsh. Yet, even long after finishing Northern Lights, there is a part of me that really wants to move to Alaska. Her descriptions of its harshness, quirkiness, and more importantly, its beauty, leaves me breathless every time and makes me want to experience it myself, even though I hate winter and snow.[return][return]Meg is the perfect heroi ...more
Glamdring
Sep 14, 2015 Glamdring rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Glamdring by: Blacky *Romance Addict*
*Buddy read with V <333*

There's so many things I loved in that book.

First, the fact that the book was told from the hero's POV. It's not the first book Nora Roberts wrote that way, but I love her heroes in general so it's always a good surprise when she does it.

Second, I loved the way she spoke of Alaska and climbing in extreme conditions. In most of her books the location is part of the story and in Northern Lights she really made both feelings really vivid.

Finally, I loved both MCs and th
Kristalia
Final rating: 3.75/5 stars

7th book by Nora Roberts that I have read, and the first one I consider a weak compared to the others. Reason? I really, REALLY, hated the heroine. And hero was very loveable. Maybe even one of the best of heroes by Nora so far. Also of note, I read the translation of the book on my language.

I don't really feel like writing a long review for this one so I will just keep it simple.

Besides me hating the heroine, i liked the story. But then, there was also the pacing. It
Andrea Hussey
Jun 29, 2012 Andrea Hussey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Of course we start out with an unlikable character using crude language and talking about sex in a completely trashy manner, two characteristics that are sure to come in a Nora Roberts book. He’s talking about him and his group all sleeping with the same whore before they leave to go to the mountain. Ew. He’s cheating on his wife and family. How admirable.

We pick up with the main guy and there’s more crude language. The 1st person he meets tells him there’s an older woman that’ll try to get in
Lyndi
Jul 30, 2014 Lyndi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. This book gave me a raging headache. I don't remember who half the characters were and couldn't remember them while reading. There were just too many of them. Lots of time spent in awe of the snowy mountains. I mean, this is a busy book. Lots of things are happening. The repeated descriptions of the scenery weren't necessary. The repeated descriptions of depression weren't necessary. Damn near half the conversations weren't even necessary.

The reason this gets three stars instead of two: I w
Krista (I remember you, Min) (Critical)
I seriously loved everything about this book. First of all, it was mostly about Nate, which was AWESOME! NR NEVER writes books about the hero! And it was soooo refreshing. On top of that, I ADORED Nate. He is seriously everything I want my future husband to be. How Nate sat with the little boy for breakfast every day was sooo cute. It made me want to kiss him. I loved spending time with him as he adapted to life in Lunacy.

Okay. I loved the setting of Alaska, because I pretty much knew nothing a
Tina
I liked this one. Nora Robert is, in recent books of hers that I've read, 3 for 3 with the prickly heroines/cool heroes. Like Birthright and Tribute, I liked the hero more than I liked the heroine.

Police Detective Nate Burke comes to a small town Lunatic, AK (pop. around 600) to get away from the crushing despair he's felt since his partner in Baltimore died in an alley in his arms. Nate is hired on as the Sheriff of the small town. Over time he begins to heal while taking in the quirks of both
Morgan
Jan 05, 2009 Morgan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-p-q-r, alaska
I don't like to give bad reviews, but sorry, Nora really missed it with this one. As an Alaskan woman, I was offended by her portrayal of Alaskan women. The only character in the book I liked was her hero. Every other character came across as stupid, slutty, selfish, greedy, or a combination of all the above, and it didn't matter if it were the men or the women.

I once read a reader review in which the reader gushed about how she now knew what Alaska was really like. Well, that was Alaska in some
Ian
Oct 23, 2011 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b-favorites
I sometimes wonder if there are two authors named Nora Roberts. Some of her books are very good, others are so dull beyond belief. This is one of the good ones. OK it's a little cliched but burnt out Baltimore cop Nate Burke accepts the job of Police Chief in a remote Alaskan town called Lunacy. While there he investigates a 30 year old crime.
As with many Nora Roberts books the women are tough. Nate's love interest in this book is Meg Galloway, a shy of commitment bush pilot who takes on bears
Brenda
Aug 24, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: Helene Young
As Ignatious Burke and his pilot, Jerk, got closer to their destination of Lunacy, Alaska, Burke was sure his life was about to end. The surrounding mountains, covered in snow and ice, the bucking plane and Burke’s churning stomach told him he really shouldn’t have climbed onto this plane. But land safely they did, and never had he been happier to stand on solid ground (albeit a frozen lake)!

Ex Baltimore cop, Nate (please!) had just been hired as Lunacy’s first Chief of Police; their small town
Mónica Silva
Apr 10, 2013 Mónica Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opinião no blog http://howtoliveathousandlives.blogsp...

Assente no Alasca, este livro permitiu-me viajar até às montanhas inóspitas, ao frio cortante da neve, ao aconchego da vila de Lunacy. Senti uma vontade irreprimível de procurar esta região, encontrar um chalé onde pudesse passar o meu tempo com uma manta nas pernas, uma chávena de chocolate quente numa mão e um livro noutra. É esta a magia das descrições de Nora Roberts, fazem-nos ansiar por uma realidade bem diferente da que vivemos!

Surpr
Sara ♥
4.5 stars.

Man, the end was pretty intense! I was like, "WHO IS IT??? WHOOOOO IIISSSS IIIIITTT?????" while banging on my steering wheel. My 3-year-old was like... "Who you talking to mom?" Hahahaha!

The narrator was really good, too. I liked that it was a guy, since the story is primarily about Nate. And his female voices weren't totally annoying, which is a huge plus!! ;)

To sum up my thoughts/feelings on this book...

I thought Nate was wonderfully flawed and that he heals in a reasonable and beli
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
At 672 kindle pages a little on the long side but nevertheless a really good slow unwinding romantic suspense combining a cold case murder, the quirkiness of a remote small town characters and interesting hero and heroine. And the inclusion of several possible murder suspects meant the whodunit kept my interest to the very end.

(4.5 stars)
Samantha
Jul 13, 2010 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Out of the many, many Nora books I've read, this one pleasantly surprised me. It's unlike any of her other books, this one having more "gore"... but it was still such a nice read. Very well written, and of course, no one can set a scene that makes you feel like you're standing in the middle of it like Nora Roberts can, even if that scene is Alaska.
Kerry
Jun 08, 2015 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 8, audiobooks, romance, 2007
Lunacy, Alaska - population 506 - is Nate Burke's last chance. As a Baltimore cop, he had watched his partner die - and the guilt still haunts him. Maybe serving as Chief of Police in this tiny, remote town, where darkness falls by mid-afternoon and temperatures fall to below zero, will bring some kind of solace. It isn't as if he has anywhere else to go. Aside from sorting out a run-in between a couple of motor vehicles and a moose - and pulling apart two brothers fighting over John Wayne's bes ...more
Mollie Matusick
Jan 15, 2013 Mollie Matusick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've only read two Nora Roberts' books--this one and Tribute--and I liked this one much better. I'm still thinking about the characters weeks after finishing. I feel like I miss them and could pick the book back up and open it to a random page just to visit with them for a little while. The story is set in a remote village in Alaska, and the main character is a cop from Baltimore who gets hired by the mayor to become chef of police after his partner was killed in the line of duty. The characters ...more
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 Jane Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-mystery
Really good mystery, some romance to go with it, feel good ending, enjoyable escape.

STORY BRIEF:
Nate was a cop in Baltimore. His partner was killed on the job. Nate felt responsible and was sad, withdrawn and depressed for months. He left Baltimore to become police chief of a small town in Alaska, hoping to further lose himself. He meets Meg who is a fiercely independent bush pilot, flying people and supplies around Alaska. She has more masculine traits than feminine and is the initiator of casu
Northern Lights was interesting, but not what I've come to expect from Nora Roberts. The characters really come to life in this book and the reader gets dragged into the story. What was refreshing was that it was realistic...the hero wasn't superman, the heroine wasn't wonder woman....they were real, normal people.

However, the story did have a tendency to drag...it was really slow paced. Not to the point that you didn't want to keep reading, but you didn't have the urge to read 'just one more c
Cindy Newton
Yes, yes, I know it's lite reading, like bubble-gum for the mind, but this one was really pretty good. I'm a Roberts fan--she writes well enough to make even a mindless romance acceptable--but this one was much more murder mystery than romance, and an engaging one, too. Even though I did suspect the killer, he was one of several, and she managed to keep him from being a sure thing until the very end. She's got a knack for natural dialogue, as well. Sorry to disappoint all you literary purists ou ...more
Melinda MacLean
I really enjoyed this book! It was suspenseful, and a great mystery. You won't see the ending coming and who it is.
Martina Nix Govoni
Cominciare l'anno così, con un romanzo tanto soddisfacente, è un buon segno.
Nora Roberts è un'autrice che difficilmente delude e qui da il meglio di se. Non è solo un giallo, non è solo una storia d'amore, è uno spaccato di vita affascinante di un territorio al limite del selvaggio.
Bravissima a descrivere il contesto, mai banale nel tratteggiare i personaggi (encomiabile come mostri Meg attraverso la descrizione della sua casa), è un romanzo che prende vita ed esce dalle pagine, per quanto vivi
Cindy
Feb 18, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story totally kept me engrossed from beginning to the end. One of the things I really love about Nora Roberts female characters is how much courage & backbone they have. When Nate comes to Lunacy Alaska he's prepared for it to be his last stand. After his partner on the police force was shot & killed in front of him & he was also shot he went into a major depression & wasn't sure whether he wanted to live or not. So to get away from it all he accepted the position as chief o ...more
Sandra
¿Qué mejor que Nora Roberts para despejarme entre tardes de estudio? La verdad es que me esperaba algo diferente de Aurora Boreal, y eso no quiere decir que no me haya gustado. Es una historia intrigante, síp, aunque desde bastante pronto ya tenía tres sospechosos y... uno de ellos resultó ser el asesino (creo que es porque veo las pelis de Antena 3 y mucho CSI y Mentes criminales jaja).

Nate me ha gustado muchísimo, me tenía prendada... eso sí, no me ha gustado nadita cuando sacaba su lado frío
Jun 11, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4 stars. I haven't read that many Nora Roberts books, but this was one of the better ones that I've come across. It was slower than I expected, focusing a lot on the main character, Nate; a police officer suffering from depression who moves to a small town in Alaska. He gets to know and love the people of the town and soon falls in love with a woman named Meg. But then a frozen body is found in the mountains and it turns out to be Meg's father, who disappeared 16 years ago. Soon after, someo ...more
R-Cee*Jay
Loved it! The whole Alaskan setting, the mystery,the thrill! Enjoyed it all!
Georgia ♥ Team Dex ♥
Re-reading favorite oldies...

description

Nora Roberts knows how to write a romance. Two people, small town, one-kind of love...

Madison Mega-Mara...: #164 Northern Lights by Nora Roberts 1 1 Sep 01, 2015 09:07AM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Creation in Death (In Death, #25)
  • All the Queen's Men (CIA Spies, #2)
  • All Night Long
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

“I don't kick a man when he's down, unless I'm the one who put him down in the first place. I don't put him down unless he deserves it. And I don't break my word if I give it. So I'll give you my word.” 170 likes
“What are these?”
Meg looked at the rings of keys in Nate’s hand, deliberately furrowed her brow. “Those would be keys.”
“Why do you need so many keys?”
“Because there are so many locks? Is this a quiz?”
He jingled them in his palm while she continued to give him a sunny, innocent smile. “Meg, you don’t even lock your doors half the time. What are all these keys about?”
“Well… There are times a person needs to get into a place, and hey, that place is locked. Then she would need a key.”
“And this place that, hey, is locked, wouldn’t be the property of that person. Would that be correct?”
“Techincally. But no man is an island, and it takes a village, and so on. We’re all one in the Zen universe.”
“So these would be Zen keys?”
“Exactly. Give them back.”
“I don’t think so.” He closed his fist around them. “You see, even in the Zen universe I’d hate to arrest my wife for unlawful entry.”
“I’m not your wife yet, buddy. Did you have a search warrant for those?”
“They were in plain sight. No warrant necessary.”
“Gestapo.”