Start by marking “1942: The Year That Tried Men's Souls” as Want to Read:
1942: The Year That Tried Men's Souls

1942: The Year That Tried Men's Souls

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  29 reviews
From the author of Forrest Gump and A Storm in Flanders comes a riveting chronicle of America's most critical hour. On December 6, 1941, an unexpected attack on American territory pulled an unprepared country into a terrifying new brand of warfare. Novelist and popular historian Winston Groom vividly re-creates the story of America's first year in World War II. To the gene ...more
Published April 3rd 2006 by Grove Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 1942, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1942

Edward
Winston Groom (author of "Forest Gump") provides a narrative history of the year 1942, after a brief outline of the events leading up to WWII. He takes you through the lows (Pearl Harbor, Corregidor, Bataan) and through the highs (Battle of Midway), providing enough details to let you understand the key events in that extraordinary year. The book is easy reading - he provides enough details of key events and battles to keep you interested without getting bogged down in any one event. He accompli ...more
Bruce Sorkin
Very readable. Groom really has the creative nonfiction genre down. It's well documented (and I've flagged 3 books to read) but flows like a novel.

The focus is between Pearl Harbor and early 1943. But Groom provides good prologue and epilogue to keep the context.

I've always focused on the Germans in WWII. The Japanese were enemies but until this book I did not realize what kind of enemy. Growing up in the 60 s there was already this sense that the Japanese were just polite efficient and maybe
Jill Hutchinson
This is a very informative book and I would recommend it to any reader of WWII history......unless you are a serious student of WWII. If so, you will find nothing new here but even with that said, the author includes eye-witness reports and some little known trivia that will hold your attention.

The majority of the book is set in the Pacific theater since the US was losing the war to the Japanese during this early period. The author concentrates much of the narrative on the Battle of Guadalcanal
Martin
Vary good history of a pivotal year in world history. Well researched, footnoted, and balanced with anecdotal insight that make a good history book read like fiction.
julia
I found this a fascinating history of WWII. It focused, as you might guess, on the year 1942, when America finally joined the war effort. It begins slightly before 1942 with an introduction of how the war began, and then comes into focus with the events at Pearl Harbor. The author spends some time with the American forces joining with Britain in fighting off the Nazis in Europe, but spends most of tje book is spent where America spent most of its men--in the Pacific fighting the Japanese. The bo ...more
Curtiss
“1942” is a very-readable military history book, featuring Winston Groom’s insightful perspective on "The Year That Tried Men's Souls," especially those of the men of the 1st Marine Division at Guadalcanal from August through November of that fateful year.

Throughout his narrative, Groom includes numerous anecdotes about the activities of a variety of colorful characters whom, despite my own voracious reading about WWII, I have never read about before. These include: Agent “Cynthia” the divorced
David
A decent "popular" World War II history book that focuses on the pivotal year of 1942. The book is written by the same author as Forrest Gump, so it is easy to read. I would say it would be a good book for someone who wants to know a little more about World War II history without going into too much depth. I was happy to see the story of my Grandpa's unit mentioned. However, I believe the author could have written a much better book by focusing on all of the combatants in World War II, not just ...more
Becky
A very well-written account of the events leading up to the attack of Pearl Harbor (December 7, 1941) and the subsequent year, 1942. With almost all of the US Pacific Fleet destroyed, we were at a decided disadvantage against the Japanese, at first. 1942 was the year of a humiliating first, the first time the United States surrendered to an enemy force. Accounts of the Bataan March showed the fortitude of the American soldiers. I would recommend this book, extremely readable.
aj
This is written by the author of Forrest Gump. It's an amazingly enjoyable read even though it packs a ton of historical information into each chapter. It focuses mainly on America's struggles with Japan on the Pacific, weaving strategic and logistical facts in with personal human stories in a very elegant way. It is from the US perspective, but it's a very balanced account of that year.

I found the subject matter to be very relevant in its stark contrasts to how we view war and military today. T
Catherine
This book shows just how incredible it is that we ended up winning WWII, especially in the Pacific. Easy to read, quick, with fascinating stories like the spy Cynthia (in the European theater), High Pockets (in the Philippines), and some beautiful poetry by a soldier who died in the POW camp just following the Bataan Death March. And Groom wisely overlaps with 1941 and getting us into the war with Pearl Harbor and then with 1943 so you see the direction things were going. It helps emphasize how ...more
Srcarson
While this is a historical book about one single year in U.S. and World History, 1942, I had no idea what a critical year it was for the world, and especially the U.S. I learned a lot and enjoyed the book.
Gerry
The book covers the year 1942 as the title suggests. Groom is simply an amazing author who is also the author of the likely more famed "Forrest Gump". In this work he follows both the PTO and ETO during this the most trying year of the Second World War for the USA and her Allies. All sources of battles and information is backed up with significant notes of primary sources. For a person who is not a historian (as I am not a historian) but enjoys learning of the struggles of the early years for Am ...more
Brian
While this book was quite informative, it had a few problems. Firstly, the book focuses on the battle of Guadalcanal and the fighting in the Pacific to the exclusion of almost everything else. Only token attention is paid to the Battle of the Atlantic, the invasion of North Africa and the fighting in the China-Burma-India area. Secondly, I noticed a few factual errors. For example, on page 404 the author twice refers to the Doolittle raiders flying B-24s, when they actually flew B-25s. Overall, ...more
Ken Horne
Being a fan of the Forest Gump story, this book caught my eye because of its author. I enjoyed the book but found very little new information. The author makes little effort to disguise his personal bias - which can, at times, distract from the story. Overall, however, I am happy to have read it and enjoyed finishing it up over Memorial Day weekend as we remember those who died for the freedoms that are enjoyed across the western world today.
Roger
A review of the early stages of WWII. Based on the book, almost all the action was in the Pacific Theatre of the war. Many great stories and updates on a lot of information previously covered in other books and movies on WWII. Like the author's easy reading style and his use of individual stories to add flavor to the book. Overall-highly recommend this book and would read other books written by Mr. Groom.
James
This is an excellent book. I expected no less from Winston Groom and I was not disappointed. I cannot recall a book which packs so much into so little. One could read this one very readable book and walk away with a fairly good understanding of World War II. This was certainly one of the most fateful years in American history and Groom gets the most out of it. Highly recommended.
Kristen
May 17, 2012 Kristen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kristen by: Dad
I can't say enough how much I enjoyed this book. I knew about Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid, but that was the extent of my knowledge of 1942 in the Pacific. The writing was superb and easy to follow. It's a miracle that we won WWII. The men of WWII are so inspiring and had such a love of country. I'm so grateful to them and for our freedoms.
Kater Cheek
It's rare that a book this informative is also readable. Even with a scant high-school knowledge of WW2, I was able to follow along and get swept up in the action.

Most of the book deals with the US naval battles in the Pacific arena. The author touches on North Africa as well, but merely mentions the European theater.
Salaryman63
Just completed reading this for the second time. Its a marvelous book. We often take for granted just how grim things seemed in 1941-42. This book focuses on the American experience in the Pacific but also weaves a very insightful profile of the national psyche. I must have-even for those not into WWII history.
Bob
Aug 21, 2007 Bob rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: History Buffs
Shelves: history
A well written history of the first full year of the United State's entry into WWII. Actually this is a good book for people who compare WWII with our invasion of Iraq. A lesson or two could be learned. You might recognize the author as the same person who wrote Forrest Gump.
Kbarr77
What a year!
Mary Louise Hartman
Required reading for anyone who takes our country and our greatest generation for granted. The battle in the Pacific immediately after WWII was a terrible ordeal fought by very young men who had to learn as they went blindly into battle.
Rod
Groom's an excellent writer, but his choice of topic hamstrings him somewhat. He seems to focus on the Solomons Campaign, possibly because most of the action took place during his year of choice.

Steve
A good book about the pivotal year of World War 2. This book is written by the author of Forrest Gump, so you know it is well written.
Bernie Davis
Good review of all that went wrong, was going wrong and ultimately went right in terms of one of the worst years in human history.
Richard
Excellent concise history of United States actions in WW2 in the year 1942; now all we need is 1943, 44, and 45.
Charles
The book did not plow new ground but provided new details about the players in WW II
Sean Johnson
Groom is no Atkins, but this is well written, page turning history none the less.
Scott
I very absorbing account of one of America's darkest times.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
  • Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle
  • Roosevelt's Centurions: FDR & the Commanders He Led to Victory in World War II
  • The Battle of the Tanks: Kursk, 1943
  • The Boys' Crusade: The American Infantry in Northwestern Europe, 1944-45
  • With Wings Like Eagles
  • The Greatest Battle: Stalin, Hitler, and the Desperate Struggle for Moscow That Changed the Course of World War II
  • Yalta: The Price of Peace
  • A Dawn Like Thunder: The True Story of Torpedo Squadron Eight
  • Decision in Normandy
  • Fateful Choices: Ten Decisions That Changed the World, 1940-1941
  • Six Months in 1945: FDR, Stalin, Churchill, and Truman--from World War to Cold War
  • Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors
  • Bodyguard of Lies: The Extraordinary True Story Behind D-Day
  • The Last 100 Days
  • In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front (Modern War Studies (Paper)
  • Sea of Thunder: Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign 1941-1945
  • Miracle at Midway
Winston Groom is an American novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for his book Forrest Gump, which was adapted into a film in 1994. Groom was born in Washington, D.C., but grew up in Mobile, Alabama where he attended University Military School (now known as UMS-Wright Preparatory School). He attended the University of Alabama, where he was a member of Delta Tau Delta and the Army ROTC, and ...more
More about Winston Groom...
Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump, #1) Gump and Co. (Forrest Gump, #2) Vicksburg, 1863 The Aviators: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh, and the Epic Age of Flight Shiloh, 1862