Start by marking “Patriotic Fire: Andrew Jackson and Jean Laffite at the Battle of New Orleans” as Want to Read:
Patriotic Fire: Andrew Jackson and Jean Laffite at the Battle of New Orleans

Patriotic Fire: Andrew Jackson and Jean Laffite at the Battle of New Orleans

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  34 reviews
December 1814: its economy in tatters, its capital city of Washington, D.C., burnt to the ground, a young America was again at war with the militarily superior English crown. With an enormous enemy armada approaching New Orleans, two unlikely allies teamed up to repel the British in one of the greatest battles ever fought in North America.

The defense of New Orleans fell to
Published May 8th 2007 by Vintage (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Patriotic Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patriotic Fire

Carl Nelson
I'm afraid that prior to this book, my knowledge of the War of 1812 was largely limited to three things: 1) The Americans defeated the British. 2) The British burned Washington. 3) The Battle of New Orleans was fought after the war ended and became a smash hit song for Johnny Horton. Winston Groom's Patriotic Fire: Andrew Jackson and Jean Laffite at the Battle of New Orleans provides an excellent, readable antidote to my ignorance through an engaging examination of how the battle transpired, why ...more
Josh Liller
I both loved and hated this book. It has some of the same flaws as Groom's other non-fiction books that I have read: a general history written for a non-scholarly audience, he eschews citations and includes too many fluffy footnotes. It also mostly shows Groom's skill as an author.

What hinders this book more than Groom's usual work are many instances of repetition (some nearly verbatim) and a number of mistakes. Groom admits many details of the battle are contradicted by different sources and pe
Joel Fishbane
Most of the scholarship on Andrew Jackson concentrates on his political life, so it's a great treat to dive into any book that focuses entirely on a pre-presidential Jackson, specifically his generalship during the War of 1812. For those who, like me, can't ever seem to get enough of Andrew Jackson, this is a great book that fits neatly on the shelf next to such titles as Robert V. Remini's exhaustive biography and Jon Meacham's American Lion (a single volume account of Jackson's White House yea ...more
Mike Farrell
I read this a few years ago, and found it extremely through in explaining the strategies and tactics of both sides, especially the English.

This was not a battle where the 2 sides just formed up and shot each other down; why did the English choose New Orleans instead of Mobile? How did Andrew Jackson use choosing the site of the battle to his advantage? What role did artillery, and its placement play in the battle?

All of these issues are covered in this book. Good reading for the US military his
David Williams
The phrase “What Hath God Wrought” was the first message sent long distance over the telegraph. This was in some ways the beginning of the communications age. This book covers the period from 1815 to 1848. Many viewed the War of 1812 as the second American Revolution. In the aftermath of that war the American nation began to grow quickly. By the end of the period another war would be fought. This one with Mexico. That war would complete what we today call the Continental United States.

This perio
Bill Simpson
July 3, 2008

I just completed reading this book, after having read Andrew Jackson, Live and Times by Brands. I saw Mr. Groom on a History Channel piece on Andrew Jackson, along with Dr. Brands and other Jackson and time period historians and so my wife surprised me by checking this book out of the Modesto library for me to read.

This was a very easy and pleasant read about the War of 1812 and specifically about the Battle of New Orleans. Mr. Groom is a very good story teller and I believe the item
David Bales
Great perspective on the War of 1812 by Winston Groom, who wrote "Forrest Gump", this time venturing into history, not fiction, with the tale of Andrew Jackson's victory at the Battle of New Orleans over the British, with a huge amount of help from Jean Laffite and his barrier island "pirates", who though loyal to no laws, came through for the Americans. The War of 1812 has been forgotten, but shouldn't. It preserved two countries, (Canada and the U.S.) from the imperial designs of others, (the ...more
Josh
I'd say 3 to 3.5 stars. Good read on a famous American battle. I read this before going to New Orleans thinking it was going to be more about the novelty of the participation of privateer Jean Laffite in the battle. I think I was expecting Laffite engaging the British Navy in some kind of Swamp Fox guerrilla tactics on the high seas... but the best contribution of Laffite was to not accept the British bribes in advance to take their sides which would have doomed the Americans and New Orleans. La ...more
Aimée
Why are all books about Lafitte so boring? I'm about to give up my quest for an interesting book about one of my favorite historical characters.

The textbook I use when teaching Louisiana history barely covers him, but it does so in mildly interesting manner. I prefer that over this.
Eileen
I love history and this book is history at its best. Winston Groom has a knack for storytelling and this story is a terrific one. Who would believe that our country's freedom would have depended on a fiery tempered, part-time soldier and a Baratarian pirate! Together with a mixed band of Tennessee and Kentucky volunteers, New Orleans town folk poorly armed and totally untrained, they not only held off the highly trained and battle hardened British Army, fresh from defeating Napoleon, they sent t ...more
Mark Luongo
Dec 24, 2013 Mark Luongo rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: Bibliography of another book
The author, who also wrote Forrest Gump and has lately taken to writing non-fiction, has written a highly readable account of the battle and the numerous personalities involved. But he also acknowledges the difficulties in working with confusing, unreliable and contradictory resources. Altogether the book flows well and would be worthwhile for anyone interested in the War of 1812 and the battle at "Nawlins." One glaring pictorial error, the picture of David A. Morgan, Louisiana MIlitia commander ...more
Rod
Good depiction of the Battle and the War in general. Looking backward, it is easy to take events for granted. Groom points out how likely an American defeat in the war was, what with Britain's large armies (and naval forces) freed by the defeat of Napoleon. Likewise, the British were far superior in forces arrayed in the battle itself.

Groom is not up to his previous standards in descriptive writing. For example, he calls Rachel Jackson "portly." Sorry, men are "portly"; women are "stout."

Still,
Michael

This book was impressive. This was a part of U.S. History that I didn't know much about. Now I understand why Andrew Jackson was such a popular man in history.

As much as I loved learning about Andrew Jackson, learning about the pirate Jean Laffite was even more interesting to me. Pirates helping us win the war was awesome to read about. The "bad guys" turned into heroes that Jackson had to, begrudgingly, work with. The British would have probably won the Battle for New Orleans without them.

High
David
I took an unseemly pleasure in reading about those arrogant Redcoat invaders being cut down as they marched across the swampy ground south of New Orleans by a bunch of rag tag militia, some regular Army, and pirates/privateers under Jean Lafitte. Cliches have to have some basis in fact, I suppose. A workmanlike history of a battle that took place after the conclusion of the War of 1812, Groom hits the high points and keeps things moving in this history for general audiences.
Phil Overeem
After multiple visits to New Orleans and a recent visit to Galveston island, I felt it was time I became further educated about Jean Lafitte. I still have a ways to go--this wasn't enough--but Groom's book gave me a basic overview of the Battle of New Orleans and Lafitte's role in it, plus provided me a new map for exploring the Crescent City next time. I found the writing a bit quaint at times, so I may have to return to the subject elsewhere, but not bad for a starter.
Molly
I think I'd have to be more of a history and military buff to truly appreciate this book, but it was interesting subject matter. I came away from it thinking that most of the dudes involved were naughty, violent jerks, especially in the first half of the book when they were running around dueling & fighting & killing each other -- and that was before the war even started. They all seemed to need a smack to the head and a responsible adult to tell them to knock it off.
Sydney Young
Excellent and fast paced. Think Americans are down and out? Think we haven't been there before and prevailed? Remember anything about the War that birthed the Star Spangled Banner? Want to know where the concept of one nation at all costs was first reinforced? Want to know why Jackson was such a big deal, and where Davy Crockett and Sam Houston cut their teeth? Want to hear about a charming gentleman pirate whose men helped save the Union from the Union Jack?
Tom
I can't recall what prompted my fascination with Jean Laffite, the pirate. Maybe the connection to New Orleans, Galveston, or legends that he was buried in Alton, Illinois, which I visited in May 2007. Winston Groom, who also wrote Forrest Gump, writes a great history of the Battle of 1812 and the role of the Baratarians in repelling the British. Jim Bowie, the legendary Alamo defender, was hooked up with Laffite in the slave-trading business, by the way.
Joe
This is a great book, well written and researched. The author makes the history seem more like a novel. The characters involved in the Battle of New Orleans are interesting enough on their own, but the author does a good job of showing some of the personal traits, both good and bad, of guys like Andrew Jackson, Jean Laffite, and the Britishers.
Carey
Finally the story of Jean Laffite's participation is the battle is told. So often overshadowed by Jackson, Groom boldly includes how much of the American's success rested on a pirate and hodgepodge units of New Orleans militia, often made up of minorities. Great read.
Debbie
I am disappointed that I could not finish this book. I got through about half of the book but it never really grabbed my interest. I am sad about this because I loved the author's latest book "The Aviators"
Joe Robertson
This really was a good book. If nothing else, the author is a good story teller. From beginning to end, this book sucks you into the action and the story and it is hard to put down. If you like American history you will like this book.
Joshua
Really good non-fiction book about Battle of New Orleans in 1814. Andrew Jackson comes off glowing--which I'm not too sure about--but this is a rousing piece of nf writing. I love reading about us whipping these redcoats!
Jim
really good read about the War of 1812 and America at
that time and fun story telling style by author

entertaining, informative and insightful about a very underrated war in American History
Don Fox
Groom is a fantastic storyteller, and Jackson and Laffite at New Orleans is an amazing tale. How can it be such swashbuckling fun and so hugely edifying at the same time? Simply brilliant.
Charlesa Stewart
One of the best books I have ever read. A book I would of never picked up myself but a co-worker knew of my love for history and recommended it to me.
Darlene
Outstanding history of the Battle of New Orleans and its key players. Groom writes in a lively style that's full of good information and never boring.
David Johnston
Nice, well-paced historical account but I didn't get the sense of place or the,people I'd hoped from an award winning writer.
Dennis Willingham
Good history of the Battle of New Orleans. Engaging and informative without being pedantic.
Brien
I never knew so much about New Orleans! I read it on a trip there, and liked it a lot.
  • The Training Ground: Grant, Lee, Sherman, and Davis in the Mexican War, 1846-1848
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • Patriot Pirates: The Privateer War for Freedom and Fortune in the American Revolution
  • For Liberty and Glory: Washington, Lafayette, and Their Revolutions
  • 1812: The War That Forged a Nation
  • Rendezvous With Destiny: How Franklin D. Roosevelt and Five Extraordinary Men Took America Into the War and Into the World
  • 1920: The Year of the Six Presidents
  • The Battle of New Orleans: Andrew Jackson and America's First Military Victory
  • Union 1812: The Americans Who Fought the Second War of Independence
  • The Pirates Laffite: The Treacherous World of the Corsairs of the Gulf
  • 1812: The Navy's War
  • Six Months in 1945: FDR, Stalin, Churchill, and Truman--from World War to Cold War
  • JFK's Last Hundred Days: The Transformation of a Man and The Emergence of a Great President
  • The Perils of Peace: America's Struggle for Survival After Yorktown
  • American Rifle: A Biography
  • The Ascent of George Washington: The Hidden Political Genius of an American Icon
  • The Hopkins Touch: Harry Hopkins and the Forging of the Alliance to Defeat Hitler
  • Once Upon a Car
Winston Groom is an American novelist and non-fiction writer, best known for his book Forrest Gump, which was adapted into a film in 1994. Groom was born in Washington, D.C., but grew up in Mobile, Alabama where he attended University Military School (now known as UMS-Wright Preparatory School). He attended the University of Alabama, where he was a member of Delta Tau Delta and the Army ROTC, and ...more
More about Winston Groom...
Forrest Gump (Forrest Gump, #1) Gump and Co. (Forrest Gump, #2) Vicksburg, 1863 The Aviators: Eddie Rickenbacker, Jimmy Doolittle, Charles Lindbergh, and the Epic Age of Flight Shiloh, 1862