Fantastic Invasion: Dispatches from Africa

Published March 7th 1989 by Penguin Books

Paul
Feb 21, 2011 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: africa
"In the beginning, we had the land. Then the white man came and he had the Bible. So, he taught us to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened our eyes again, he had the land and we had the Bible."

Jomo Kenyatta
Dan
To be taken only in small doses. There's nothing uplifting about this book, and that is why I sought it out. The subject matter is still remarkably relevant, despite the book being almost thirty years old. Marnham's Africa is a place of horror, mostly man-made, and his documentation of the failures of western aid programs in the continent is something we would do well to pay close attention to. Unfortunately out of print, but definitely worth a look if you can find a used copy.
Lucía
Lucía added it
Aug 06, 2013
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Sebastian
Sebastian marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2012
Velvetink
Velvetink marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2011
Viva
Viva marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2011
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2012
Phil
Phil added it
Oct 29, 2008
Sandi
Sandi added it
Mar 21, 2008
Wild Mary: The Life Of Mary Wesley Dreaming with His Eyes Open: A Life of Diego Rivera The Man Who Wasn't Maigret: A Portrait of Georges Simenon Resistance and Betrayal: The Death and Life of the Greatest Hero of the French Resistance Road to Katmandu