Start by marking “Recovering from Losses in Life” as Want to Read:
Recovering from Losses in Life

Recovering from Losses in Life

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  66 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Life is marked by a variety of losses, says certified trauma specialist H. Norman Wright. Some are life-changing, such as leaving home, the effects of natural disasters or war, the death of a loved one, or divorce. Others are subtle, such as changing jobs, moving, or a broken friendship. But whether readers encounter family, personal, or community disaster, there is always ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Fleming H. Revell Company (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Recovering from Losses in Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Recovering from Losses in Life

Hope
Feb 29, 2012 Hope rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After going through a heartbreaking break up, I read this book. It really helped me get through the hurt I experienced and helped me process through it. I highly recommend this book if you're going through a loss yourself or if you want to support someone you love that is experiencing a loss. I appreciated that the author recognized that loss goes beyond death or divorce but includes relationships of all types, dreams, jobs, pets, etc.
Andy Hickman
Jun 19, 2015 Andy Hickman rated it liked it

H. Norman Wright, Recovering from Losses in Life (Grand Rapids, MI: Fleming H. Revell, 2006).

“Unfortunately, many of us have become more proficient in developing denial than we are in facing and accepting the losses in life.”

“Whenever there is any kind of attachment, a loss cannot be avoided when the tie is broken.”

Children who have lived through rejection have an extreme emotional handicap and are like refugees without a home country who may see themselves as “outlaws” with deep self-de
Starlyn
Feb 20, 2009 Starlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful book, not just for those who have suffered losses, but also for those who have suffered trauma or repeated trauma. Spoke to why some are more heavily affected by trauma than others, and to why those who like to control their environment are hit hardest. I learned quite a it about myself by reading this book.
Elizabeth (Liz)
Aug 02, 2012 Elizabeth (Liz) rated it really liked it
It has a lot of insight to help others and help one self recognize and face all the losses in life. I found particularly helpful the advise on recognizing those things that were never really addressed as losses and allowing oneself to grieve in order to move on.
Jane
Jun 05, 2009 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is great for grieving the significant losses that we experience along the way. The loss of our dreams stood out to me.
Jenny Price
Sep 18, 2008 Jenny Price rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
suggest it to anyone in the grief process or wants to help someone who is
Sarai
Lead a grief counseling group using this book and the curriculum that it also has. Have to admit one of my better classes. Book makes it easy to teach from and helps to supplement the curriculum. Highly recommend for anyone.
Reggie
Jul 25, 2012 Reggie rated it it was amazing
Every person on the planet should read this book. It is a primer of how to deal with all kinds of losses in life from the tiny to the insurmountable. I've read it three times.
Clarice
Dec 02, 2010 Clarice rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book about handling losses in life. Great book to understand my own valleys in life; also a great tool to better understand the changes in others life.
Glenda
Jan 19, 2016 Glenda rated it it was amazing
One of the authors that I like with regards to Christian counseling. Great book that deals with grieving, trauma, and losses in light of God's Word.
Rejoice
Rejoice marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Janet Grant
Janet Grant marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Kelsey
Kelsey is currently reading it
Feb 07, 2016
Deb Eakin
Deb Eakin marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Timothy Johnson
Timothy Johnson marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Alison
Alison is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Colleendearborn
Colleendearborn rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Angie
Angie is currently reading it
Jan 29, 2016
Marissa Henley
Marissa Henley is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2016
April
April is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Kerstin Gunia
Kerstin Gunia rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
David Zetterberg
David Zetterberg rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Amber Baber
Amber Baber is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2016
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2016
Dori L. Halbert
Dori L. Halbert is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2015
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2015
Jeff Johnson
Jeff Johnson rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015