Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach To Customer Service

Raving Fans: A Revolutionary Approach To Customer Service

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  3,582 ratings  ·  179 reviews
"Your customers are only satisfied because their expectations are so low and because no one else is doing better. Just having satisfied customers isn't good enough anymore. If you really want a booming business, you have to create Raving Fans." This, in a nutshell, is the advice given to a new Area Manager on his first day--in an extraordinary business book that will help...more
Published May 19th 1993 by William Morrow (first published April 19th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Raving Fans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raving Fans

Meri
Jerry Springer is less insulting to human intelligence. More useful as toilet paper.
Aaron
Aug 18, 2008 Aaron rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: (sound of crickets)
Recommended to Aaron by: Employer Training Program
Not that I expected anything different, but this "revolutionary approach to customer service" is pretty simplistic. I admit that I read it as a requirement at work. There are three main lessons in the book and the rest is filler. Undoubtedly, the author began with a basic outline. That outline was then stolen by a rouge children's author who, then completed the story around it. "I did it as a joke... but they're going out like that". The three basic lessons are solid common sense concepts. For t...more
John Speight
Do not buy this book. It is way too long, the narration is terrible and they spend way too much time talking about golf. The main points are, figure out what you want, find out what your customer wants (try and reconcile them) and then deliver plus 1% per week. There, I just saved you $20 bucks.
Michelle Johnson
I read Raving Fans as a supplemental text for a college, Principles of Customer Service course. I think it's funny that many reviewers have rated this book negatively based on its size and its simplification of the concept of good customer service.....that the ideas in this book are just common sense. And truthfully, they are just common sense....... And yet poor customer service has become a standard, that we've become accustomed to. We don't really expect anything above mediocre anymore.

Raving...more
Steven
I've been reading a lot of fiction lately, so I decided to pepper in a "business" book.

Considering "Raving Fans" covers a compelling topic and is only 132 pages, I figured I'd read it.

One hour later and I'm finished and now writing this review.

It's a decent read. This book uses a narrative, third-person format to show the reader the benefits of employing the mindset of businesses with "Raving Fans." I rolled my eyes the first couple pages in when I realized the whole book was going to employ th...more
Cathy Allen
I no longer know whether I picked up this book and read it because I was irritated by the level of customer service I often get, or if my irritation is caused by learning from this book how ridiculously easy it is to provide good service. It's probably a cyclical thing. This I do know for sure: more than any book I've read in years I want to hand out copies of this one.... not in restaurants or grocery stores. Those folks tend to provide good service. I want to hand it out at the hospital, at th...more
Jessa Allen
My manager asked everyone in the department I work in to read this book. At first glance it's a short read with large font and lots of whitespace, so I knew it wouldn't take long to finish and I wasn't opposed to reading it. By any means though, I wasn't excited to read it. I read a lot, 95% of the time it is fiction. I was a little worried that this would be dull and like I was back in school again.

I was pleasantly surprised that they incoroprated their lessons in a cute little story about an A...more
Kevin Wunder
Is customer service a dying art? It might be.

When was the last time that you had a really great experience as a consumer? What did you do after? Who did you tell?

I love the premise of this book; "satisfied customers aren't enough...you have to create raving fans".

Ken Blanchard shares (in a very anecdotal way) some very compelling principles about creating and maintaining amazing customer experiences. The book will definitely challenge the way that you currently look at the customer experience...more
Patty
This book was recommended to me by someone on synod council. Blanchard is an expert at coming up with succinct ways to look at a topic. He has books on change, customer service and (apparently) golf, that look for very basic concepts - 2 or 3 at most.

Blanchard then takes these 2-3 topics and wraps them in an interesting story. The story is supposed to (in my opinion) capture the reader's attention and make the concepts easy to remember.

Raving Fans does this well. There are 3 concepts that the ne...more
Chris Rock
Using a fictional analogy to illustrate a point is a useful writing convention. However, this book takes that overboard and creates and entire fictional world to illustrate the author's point. I'm sorry, but you can't use the success of a fictional business that you invented to illustrate how effective your principles will be.

That's not to say that the principles in this book are terrible, but I'd be much more convinced if I saw some case studies, or even anecdotes.

Like most business books, it c...more
Strongblack Coffee
The revolutionary approach to customer service came down the the simplest yet the most important principle, treating the customer right and making them the biggest fan of your business, services and products.

I tried to relate the above principle with our company:

Clients:
-- They are always right, even if they are dumb :P
-- Doesn't really matter how tough their situation is, we make them feel that we can help them and we actually do.
-- We make them feel that they are under the best hands and we ha...more
Mr. Z
If you are a boss or teacher, I think this story will help inspire you to understand what it takes to get the most from your organization or classroom. "Going above and beyond" is a theme left behind in today's me-first society, but leaders and teachers who are willing to take the extra step will still get the extra results that are waiting for them. Excellent ideas, examples and applications can be found in these pages.
Narfy
This is not a book I would ever willingly read on my own. It was assigned after management team was collectively dazzled.

It is a book for people who don't read a lot. Large print, small words-I thought I was back in Grade 3. I'm also a but surprised that no one else has commented on how closely the storyline follows "It's a Wonderful Life". A supernatural being takes our Protagonist through "what if" scenarios. Unoriginal.

And the genre of business-fantasy hybrid-ugh. Don't get me wrong, I love...more
Michelle
This is a quick read...but a little corny. There are three main points to the book in regards to customer service. They are good points- but I could have done without all of the filler.
Michael J.
One the all-time best customer service books of all time. Please read and implement the concepts. Ken Blanchard's best book, in my opinion.

Blessings,

Michael
Jill Morrison
I'm about half way through and so far it's as cheesy a book as that one about the stupid mice. Seriously? Put it into an email, bullet-form, and save a tree.
Niko
The overall concept is inspiring however the fairy book format was insulting. The ideas presented within could've been summed up on 3 triple spaced pages.
Celeste
Very good book. It will put you in the right frame of mind! Made a huge difference on how I treat my clients. It has raised my customer service bar!
Matt
Very simply written book that I didn't embrace. Had a character who was some guy's 'fairy god mother of service'
Jerry Mahn
This was a turning point in my leadership. Anyone who works in customer service can learn much from this easy read.
Amber
I had to read it for work, a fairy tale story with impossible expectations of customer service.
Sheree
Good book on how to create customers who will rave about your products or services.
Jeff Raymond
God, management books are terrible. If you need a book to help you manage...
Ethan
This book is crap, don't waste your time on it.
Greg
I enjoyed this short and to-the-point analogy of what it means to provide excellent customer service. I fully agree with Blanchard that today's society expects terrible service, I know I do. Why is this? Though I have little practical experience to back it up, I believe that the 3 steps given in this book could be revolutionary to a company, or any kind of organization. Everything comes down to a human to human concern, and everything else is just excess.

The three steps are:
1- Decide what you...more
Omar Halabieh
Below are key excerpts from the book, outlining the principles of developing "Raving Fans - The Ultimate in Customer Service":

1) "The first magic secret is Decide What You Want...When you decide what you want you must - create a vision of perfection centered on the customer."

2) "...Discover the customers' vision of what they really want and then alter your vision if need be."

3) "...There are really three (traps of customer listening)...I've already told you about the first one: customers saying...more
Patrik Hallberg
Glödande fans - nöjda kunder är inte tillräckligt
Skriven som en berättelse där distriktschefen får hjälp av kundservice fen Charlie. Recepten som Charlie lär ut är ett recept i tre steg:

1) Börja med att bestämma dig för vad du vill?
Skapa en vision av perfektion inriktad på kunden
tillämpa visionen på verklighetens nivå för att upptäcka hinder och motigheter

2) Upptäck vad kunden vill?
Kundens vision blir bara meningsfull vid jämförelse med din vision
justera din vision om det behövs?
Kundens vision ä...more
Douglas
May 22, 2007 Douglas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People in Business or Retail
Shelves: business
The book is a 130 page anecdote about a struggling salesman. He learns basically three things to help him create Raving Fans. First he learns that he must really listen to the customers and then visualize a business that he wants to create. For example, a department store where all the employees greet you by your name, serve you coffee, polish your shoes, let you bring 1000 clothes to the dressing room, etc...

The second thing to do is to find out what is the customers expectation and wants. Onc...more
J.
A quick read about a customer-centric approach to customer service. The three main messages are embedded in an out-of-place attempt at a child's tale. Even so, the three messages are powerful (if obvious in hindsight):

1. Create a vision of perfect customer service.
2. Compare your vision with that of your customers, and make changes if appropriate, or direct the client elsewhere.
3. Deliver 101%, and keep improving.
Christine
To get the three main points of creating customers that don't just like you (ie satisfied) but are raving fans, the tone was insulting, it was too long, and in general not helpful. The book featured a golf-obsessed fairy godmother for goodness sakes!! Would have been improved if it had offered implementation suggestions but I'm not sure that would have saved it.
  • Swim with the Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive: Outsell, Outmanage, Outmotivate, and Outnegotiate Your Competition
  • The Oz Principle: Getting Results through Individual and Organizational Accountability
  • Selling the Invisible: A Field Guide to Modern Marketing
  • Love Is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends
  • The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work
  • The Pursuit of Wow!: Every Person's Guide to Topsy-Turvy Times
  • Duct Tape Marketing: The World's Most Practical Small Business Marketing Guide
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Spin Selling: Situation Problem Implication Need-payoff
  • QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability at Work and in Life
  • Little Red Book of Selling: 12.5 Principles of Sales Greatness: How to Make Sales Forever
  • Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time
  • One Minute Sales Person, The: The Quickest Way to Sell People on Yourself, Your Services, Products, or Ideas--at Work and in Life
  • Zig Ziglar's Secrets of Closing the Sale
  • How Full Is Your Bucket?
  • The Fred Factor: How passion in your work and life can turn the ordinary into the extraordinary
  • Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment: How to Improve Quality, Productivity, and Employee Satisfaction
  • Our Iceberg Is Melting: Changing and Succeeding Under Any Conditions
Blanchard was born in Orange, New Jersey and grew up in New Rochelle, New York.He attended New Rochelle High School, graduating in 1957. He completed a BS degree in government and philosophy at Cornell University in 1961, a MA degree in sociology and counseling at Colgate University in 1963 and a PhD degree in education administration and leadership at Cornell University in 1967. As an undergradua...more
More about Kenneth H. Blanchard...
The One Minute Manager Gung Ho! Whale Done!: The Power of Positive Relationships Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey