Start by marking “The Complex: An Insider Exposes the Covert World of the Church of Scientology” as Want to Read:
The Complex: An Insider Exposes the Covert World of the Church of Scientology

The Complex: An Insider Exposes the Covert World of the Church of Scientology

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  10 reviews
For the first time ever, a former high-ranking member of the Church of Scientology is lifting the lid on the world's fastest growing cult. Duignan describes how, two years ago, he staged a dramatic escape from the elite paramilitary group at the core of the Church, the Sea Organization, and how he narrowly evaded pursuit by the Office of Special Affairs. He looks back on t ...more
Published 2008 by Merlin Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Complex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complex

The Complex started a little slowly, but it was so the reader understood all of Duignan's background, so you can understand why he got caught up in the cult of Scientology. After that, the buildup is phenomenal and fascinating.

Duignan's spot in Scientology was right near the top, after starting at the bottom in the mid-'80s, at the age of 20. He was vulnerable due to his childhood, and was sucked right into the cult's brainwashing.

The pace of this book couldn't have been much better. Near the en
A chilling book highlighting the insidious way a cult can take over a person's life.
The author came from a troubled background which led to him feeling the need to do and be something in life and to feel he belonged to something worthwhile.
Unfortunately the Church of Scientology seemed to take advantage of this fact and this book is the shocking tale of an insider's experiences on life within the organisation.
Harrowing and frightening how people can be brainwashed into believing the indoctrinati
Al Swanson
Decent book, but very poorly edited and somewhat poorly written. I'd blame the editor for most of the problems.

If you're looking for a heap of info on Scientology - read something else. This is primarily about the author and his experiences. He details what he needs to detail to tell his story - but little else. He also uses a lot of 'tology lingo without completely cluing us into the meaning. All through the book he sounds like he still is very much drawn to the cult, yet says he left because
Incredible experience to read this book. Not brilliantly written, but honest, intimate and very objective. If you've had any first-hand experience with Xenu's Warrirors, then this book will bring it all back alive. I know from first-hand experience that Scientology is creepy, weird and ridiculous, but I really had no idea how dangerous and oppressive it could be. I recommend this one to anyone interested in learning about cults and other oppressive systems. The author deserves a medal of honor.
I became interested in Scientology because some of my in-laws were involved (they no longer are). This book does not focus on the inherent quackery and woo of Scientological beliefs, but rather the culture of corruption and abuse ineherent in they system. It's uncomfortable to read at times, but enlightening. Strongly recommended. (I finished this years ago and am just not catching up on my reviews.)
Peter Dunn
This starts as a typical Irish misery novel but stick with it as it does soon pick up and gives a fascinating life history of an ex scientologist.
The author does a great job of explaining how someone could be taken in by Scientology and the tricks used to make to keep people in the fold.
so far, i can't put it down, must keep reading! very good inside look into a very destructive cult.
Peter Panhuis
Very insightful and confronting story of what's happening within Scientology
This is a fantastic read. I learned so much. I could not put it down.
Abril marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2015
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Erin marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Genevra marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Chantal Aucoin
Chantal Aucoin marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Meredith marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Patricia Normanly
Patricia Normanly marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Ketil Mastad
Ketil Mastad marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Saving the Last Dance Katherine Black Doesn't Dance (Gerry Sweeney/Katherine Black trilogy Book 2)