Devoured

Devoured

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  3,689 ratings  ·  314 reviews
Megan’s twin sister Remy died in an accident nine years ago, and she’s been haunting her ever since. Knowing how crazy that sounds, Megan keeps this secret to herself and tries to lead a normal life. But when she takes a summer job at Land of Enchantment to keep an eye on her new boyfriend and his lovesick best friend, Samantha, she meets fellow employee Luke who can see R...more
Published September 22nd 2009 by Simon Pulse (first published September 12th 2009)

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateShiver by Maggie StiefvaterPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-SmithCity of Glass by Cassandra Clare
Best Book Cover 2009
45th out of 315 books — 3,018 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
176th out of 3,616 books — 7,604 voters

More lists with this book...

~Tina~
Jan 05, 2011 ~Tina~ rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to ~Tina~ by: TBR Reduce Challenge 2011 (Jess)
Devoured is the story about Megan who has been haunted by her seven year old sister, Remy, after a horrible accident ten year ago. Meanwhile she gets a summer job at The Land of Enchantments to keep a worried eye on her boyfriend Ryan ever since his best friend, Samantha, has drunkenly admitted that he was her soul mate.
While Megan was getting sized up for her Snow White costume, Remy appears and shows her a horrid vision, causing her to faint. When she wakes, Luke, a painter at the park, is by...more
Morgan F
Ever since a horrific car accident nine years ago, Megan has been haunted by the ghost of her dead twin sister, Remy. Megan, in an attempt to keep an eye on her boyfriend and his perky best friend, takes up a summer job at the amusement park, Land of Enchantment. On her first day there, Remy comes and gives Megan a horrifying vision. Megan isn't the only one who saw Remy this time, however. Luke, a cute guy who works at the park, is determined to help Megan and get her twin sister to move on. Bu...more
Michelle. D.
This book had lots of turns and twist. Amazing! Even though I can't really remember what really happened, all I remembered was that there were lots of twists an d I really loved it! This review was so suckkkkyyyyyy! Even though it really isn't a review.. ALALALLALALALALALLALALALALLALALLALALALLALALALLALALL... Time to go eat some cake! Anyone want to come with me? No? Suite yourself. TRA-La-LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Peace out sukkers!
~Chad ♥ :D
Angie
This is a stunning, contemporary twist on the tale of Snow White! It's a rare book that makes me laugh, cry, AND scares the crap out of me ;-)
Regan ♥
*There might be some spoilers*

I liked this book. It's not the most well written book ever, but it was alright. The characters weren't anything special, and no-one really stood out for me, well, except Remy, she was creepy. o_O

I think the romance between Megan and Luke came out of nowhere. I was like, 'uh, well that was unexpected.' They hadn't even known each other long, and Luke claimed to know everything about her, when he just met her. :/

Remy scared me. She was constantly going on and on abou...more
Heather
Emily
Nine years ago, Megan lost her twin Remy in a terrible car accident. Megan doesn't know what to do with Remy when she pops in for visits, but as Remy becomes more incoherant and shows Megan visions of murders, Megan has nowhere to turn. Having just been hired at the Land of Enchantment amusement park, Megan finds an unexpected ally who also sees her sister, Luke.

Megan's life is now spiraling out of control with a boyfriend who has an unusual attachment to his best friend who is a girl, Luke who...more
Gus
This was a super quick read and, while not that well-written, I actually liked it. The end was full of twists, which is hard to find in a teen book! I was shocked and kept telling my hubby what happened. There is a large fairy tale element to it (Snow White) that I wasn't aware of when I picked out the book to read, but it really added to it and made it an interesting tale. I'll probably read her other books, as I was pleased with how Marrone told the story.
Deltay
Oct 13, 2009 Deltay rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
With Devoured, Amanda has brought a whole new facet to the concept of the fractured fairytale - and is it ever refreshing! Disregarding the apple on the cover/spine, the lack of mention of fairytale roots otherwise might have one not even making that connection initially. And in this case, it seems to work best this way - for those who are fans of Snow White, it adds a little extra zing; for those who aren't, it still works great as a stand-alone YA paranormal/romance/mystery/and so much else.

I'...more
Wicked Walker
Devoured is dark, edgy remake of the fairy tale Snow White. The main character, Megan Sones, lost her sister, Remy, in a car accident that also put her father in a coma 10 years ago. She has had various sightings of her sister's ghost but none so much as lately when she starts work at an amusement park to keep an eye one her boyfriend and his "friend". Megan meets the park owner's daughter and forms an unstable friendship with her. She also meets the talented and mysterious Luke who to her surpr...more
Liz
Re-tellings of fairy tales often suffer when an author tries to stick too close to the source material. Snow White in particular suffers - the seven little men are a difficult hurtle to overcome.

However, Devoured isn't really a re-telling, it's more about what happened next. The prologue is from the evil queen's perspective as she learns her stepdaughter's fate and is resigned to her own as a slave to the enchanted mirror. The mirror has tricks of its own and goad the evil queen into cursing all...more
Nan
Nov 13, 2009 Nan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Angie Thompson
Megan is a girl with problems. She's been dating Ryan for the last month --but her dates tend to turn into group outings with his best friend, Samantha. She really likes him, and she can't help but be jealous of his friend, especially since they're working together at an amusement park all summer. What's a girl to do? Like any other jealous girlfriend, Megan quits her job at the bookstore and takes one at the park where she can keep an eye on Ryan.

Megan has another problem, too. She can see her...more
Mimi Valentine
Three words to describe this book? Dark, fairytale-esque, and yet unfairytale-esque at the exact same time!

Devoured put an edgy and unique twist on the fairytale, Snow White (which I love), and I enjoyed it so much more than I expected to! I'm actually a huge fan of fairy tails and such. I'll admit that this was a little strange at first, but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down!

I just adored the characters in this book. Megan was the perfect heroine, Luke was the perfect guy, and Remy wa...more
Nic
I really loved this book. It was an easy fun read that I finished in one day.

It is the story of Megan who sees her twin sister's ghost. She gets a summer job at the local amusement park to spend time with and keep an eye on her boyfriend Ryan. There she meets Luke who also can see Remy. Sparks fly between Megan and Luke. Luke trys to help Megan to get Remy to move on, but Remy is trying to tell Megan something......

I found that I got sucked straight into the story and it was a fast paced. I real...more
D.F. Jules
How can I say this, to me it seems that the author was confused between two main plots and that instead of choosing, she just did a mash up of them.

There's a lot of plot holes, things that had no sense and characters that just serves as plot devices that I couldn't see any point of them actually being in the story.

Because of the attempt on combining two major problems, the story seemed stilted, rushed and just, well, ridiculous.

All in all, I guess if you have time at the dentist or whatever, you...more
Angee Saxey
Rated: PG-13; language (f-word once or twice & Lord's name in vain as much as if it were the word "the"), violence, sexual references.

I thought the plot was amazing and I actually got so scared a tear fell! That is hard to do in books, for me. The story deserves five stars, but I hate language and there were a lot of typos in the first sixty pages! I will definitely read Amanda's other books just for their creative and timely plots!
Rosa
I couldn't sleep last night so I decided to start reading this book and it's a good thing I couldn't sleep because I didn't want to put it down. This book is actually a modern day continuation of the Snow White tale that takes place many generations after the original, which I never would have figured out based on the description, although after the fact I do see some hints on the cover.

Megan has had a difficult life, when she was 8 she was in a car accident with her twin sister Remy and her fa...more
Ithlilian
I don't know why I thought this was a vampire book, but I am very glad it wasn't. I'm a little afraid to pick up any teen drama released recently due to the overwhelming number of angst filled vampire books out there. If you feel the same way, don't worry, Devoured is more of a fairy tale retelling than a angst filled drama. I enjoyed every moment of Devoured; I pretty much devoured it. Bad pun, I know. The characters in this book feel real and believable, yet they are not overly dramatic. Each...more
Krystle
Finally! A ya romance where the male lead isn’t a dark, brooding, creepy, stalker-ish guy! Yay! He was pretty much normal, considerate, and an overall nice guy. Okay, he was rather mysterious with his abilities and such but I don’t care about that too much since everyone seems mysterious when you don’t know them.

The writing was quick and snappy, with a main character whose voice feels realistic and in tune to what I would normally think when I was her age. Granted she was annoying at some points...more
summer
So Devoured by: Amanda Marrone it takes place in her home town, and the land of enchantment, Devoured is about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and all the other fairy tales in history, Megan the main character is getting a job at a place called land of enchantment. Megan had a twin sister named Remy, she also has a boyfriend that she tried to introduce to her father, at the land of enchantment she meets a boy who also works at the land of enchantment.

Warning plot spoilers and discussion below:
S...more
alexis
Pub Date : September 22, 2009

Summary: Megan takes a job at the Land of Enchantment amusement park so she can spy on her boyfriend Ryan and his best friend Samantha.

Samantha happens to be in love with Ryan.

When Megan starts seeing the ghost of her dead sister, Remy, she knows this summer can't possibly be the good one she was hoping for.

Then Luke, another employee at the Land of Enchantment, tells Megan that he can see Remy too.

Megan doesn't know how to save her sister.

But when her best friend di...more
Karissa
I love fairy tale retellings, so I was excited to read this modern day retelling of Snow White. This ended up being an okay book but definitely didn't blow me away. The book was fairly engaging but not all that fairy tale like; I found the interpretation of the fairy tale to be a bit bizarre.

Megan's life changed as a result of a horrible car crash. Her father is in a coma, her mom is obsessed with doing dancing routines with their dog, and Megan is haunted by the ghost of her twin sister Remy. W...more
Chantelle Jury
I really enjoyed this book!
I think Amanda Marrone did a really good job incorporating the snow white fairytale into a story like this one because it worked really well!
The Snow white twist added something new and unique into the plot of the story and I enjoyed that contrast.
I liked Megan and her relationships with the other characters of the story, especially her relationship with Remy and Luke.

Remy, in my opinion, was a good character to have in the story as she became important in the entire p...more
Ria
I have a hate-love relationship with this book it’s rather a REALLY slow pace. I read half of the book in the beginning of summer and was fighting to finish it and finally I did.
What I loved about it:
-the mysterious disappearing of Kayla
-Remy’s tantrums “Remy by far is my favorite character in this book specially when she stood to Ari
-Remy’s vision of the dead body
-Psychotic Ari and her Dad

What I hated about it:
-Like I said it’s a really slow book the first 17 chapters are utterly boring beyo...more
Saniya(Will Herondale is mine)
By looking at the cover, which is so pretty, and then at the blurb, I thought the story is gonna be really good. My expectations were fairly high but then, the book proved just fine. I wasn't that impressed and I am sightly disappointed because this book could have been alot better. The story was fresh, a plus point but it needed an improvement in characterization and then I didn't find the author's writing interesting either.
Overall, it was an okay book and if this is one of the author's first...more
Tez
Megan Sones originally applies for a job to keep an eye on her boyfriend and his clingy best friend, but then she meets someone else who can see and interact with Megan's twin Remy - who died aged seven. Meanwhile, there's something very disturbing about the family that owns and manages the amusement park.

This stand-alone novel works a treat. The blend of Brothers Grimm, Gossip Girl, and V. C. Andrews creates a shadowy atmosphere with genuinely creepy moments and some truly effed-up characters....more
Elizabeth
Megan applies for a summer job at the Land of Enchantment so that she can be closer to her boyfriend, Ryan and his best (girl)friend Sam.
Sam told Ryan that he was her soul mate and Ryan always brings Sam along whenever Megan and he goes anywhere.
Remy, Megan's sister died at the age of seven in a car accident and Megan's dad has been in a coma since then, as well.
From the day Remy died, she has been haunting Megan, but now Remy becomes more agitated and appears more frequently.
Megan meets Luke, w...more
Nora Cayetano
Es un muy buen libro.
Ya estaba cansada de encontrar la misma receta de Crepúsculo, y aunque, la verdad, el libro es parecido pero no igual, no me arrepiento para nada de haberle dado una oportunidad.
Cada aparición del fantasma de la hermanita gemela de Megan y las menciones a al asesinato de Blancanieves me dejaron un muy buen sabor de boca. Incluso, y volviendo a la hermanita, me atrevo a decir que las descripciones son capaces de erizar la piel.
No obstante, soy incapaz de subir la calificación...more
Neal
Devoured by Amanda Marrone screams one thing to me; Epilogue! This book is about one girl named Megan and what happens when she stumbles upon the ancestors of a Grimms fairy tale. With the help of her dead sister and a new psychic love interest Megan might just get her happily ever after.
Brianda
i thought this book was really really really really good. i really enjoyed it and fell totally in love with Luke. i totally recommend it to everybody. :)
  • Give Up the Ghost
  • Under My Skin (Skinned, #1)
  • Whisper (Whisper, #1)
  • Raven
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
  • Book of Love (Knight Angels, #1)
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • The Mark (The Mark, #1)
  • Past Midnight (Past Midnight, #1)
  • Possessions (Possessions, #1)
  • Shadowed Summer
  • Wake Unto Me
  • The Tear Collector
  • Crave (Crave, #1)
  • Sleepless
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)
  • Swoon (Swoon, #1)
  • Sea
Amanda Marrone grew up on Long Island where she spent her time reading, drawing, watching insects, and suffering from an over-active imagination. It didn’t help that her father told bloodcurdling stories, and would take Amanda and her siblings for moon lit walks in the graveyard—the highlight of which involved having them march up to mausoleums and knock on the doors—alone. On more than one occasi...more
More about Amanda Marrone...
Uninvited Revealers Slayed The Multiplying Menace (Magic Repair Shop, #1) The Shape Shifter's Curse (Magic Repair Shop #2)