Start by marking “Gyo, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Gyo, Vol. 2

Gyo, Vol. 2 (Gyo / ギョ #2)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,377 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Tadashi hopes to save the horribly mutated Kaori from a fate worse than death, but the treatment by Doctor Koyanagi may be worse than the disease. This new volume features a struggle between man and machines powered by dead flesh -- will mankind survive?
Published March 10th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Gyo, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gyo, Vol. 2

Erin
Jun 08, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
DEAD PEOPLE FARTS.
Alexander Páez
No es tan ominoso como Uzumaki o Black Paradox, de hecho se basa más en el asco que en el terror, pero es un excelente manga.
Lord
May 06, 2009 Lord rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, horror
Until the circus chapters, this has been a very creepy and serious horror manga. But it goes really downward later and the ending is everything but satisfactory (even less than Uzumaki). But including an awesome second one-shot at the end of the book, this is still one of the best horror manga available.
Brenna
Feb 23, 2010 Brenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
In Junji Ito's world, to become infected is to grow bloated, blistered and disfigured, and to lose all sense of what it is to be alive, leaving in its wake a naked and prostrate form only vaguely recognizable as human.

Welcome to Okinawa, Japan, some time not too far into the future – perhaps even tomorrow afternoon.

In Gyo, Ito's characters have experienced the inconceivable invasion of infected marine life, having become conjoined symbioticly with an underbelly and set of legs which control the
Ignacio Senao f
Mar 17, 2015 Ignacio Senao f rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PERTUBADOR

La historia de los peces con patas metálicas ha evolucionado a un punto perturbador, con unas imágenes y momentos impactantes y vomitivos. No es posible decir más para no hacer spoiler.

Acaba el manga con unas mini historias independientes sin relación con la trama principal… genialidades dentro de una mente de pesadillas continuas.

A quién le gusta lo perturbador y terrorífico, aquí una joya deformada.
Nozomi
Aug 23, 2013 Nozomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, manga, horror
Gyo is disturbing. I liked the first volume far more than the second. The shark chase is my favorite part. The peaceful ending is relief from the disgusting visuals of the second volume. My butthole cringed on occasion. The entire story is ridiculous.

The bonus stories are why I rate this so highly.

The Sad Tale of the Principal Post is genius dark humor. Only five pages, but hilarious. The man of the house supporting the household. That very last sentence. That is comic genius.

The Enigma of the A
Sumit Singla
Ok, so the second volume is way more disgusting than the first! It is grotesque, and what I especially like is the fact that the characters are given just the right amount of depth. They're not detailed enough for you to put yourself in their shoes, and they aren't single-dimensional caricatures either.

The artwork is nice and terrifying. It manages to build that hopelessness typical of post-apocalyptic worlds, while being anything but 'typical'.

The main protagonist, Tadashi, doesn't give up. Not
Antonio Diaz
Dec 31, 2014 Antonio Diaz rated it really liked it
Shelves: spanish-owned
Junji Ito, maestro del manga de terror en formato corto, indudablemente.

Esta segunda parte es más redonda que la primera, puesto que lleva el planteamiento inicial un poco más allá con éxito. El dibujo, aunque muy bueno, no alcanza las cotas de perfección de su obra maestra: Uzumaki.

El final me resultó un pelín decepcionante, pero pienso que es mi opinión particular. Por estos dos motivos no alcanza la quinta estrella.

En la edición en castellano de ECC se incluyen dos historias cortas: El Pilar
Orrin Grey
Jul 29, 2011 Orrin Grey rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
As I said before, it's a miracle that Gyo works at all, given its premise. In any lesser hands, this would be a disaster. In Junji Ito's, it not only works, but works remarkably well. When I say that Gyo is the least of his major works, in my opinion, anyone who's read what I had to say about the others will know that's not much of a condemnation.

This volume also contains a couple of short "bonus stories" in the back. One of them is extremely short, a gag about four pages long. The other is more
Sylvester
Feb 07, 2016 Sylvester rated it really liked it
Bjorn
Sep 13, 2014 Bjorn rated it really liked it
Absurdist horror that somehow, SOMEHOW manages to work despite a ridiculous premise: organic machines that run in the gas produced by rotting corpses and that are somehow sentient or intelligent. This isn't nearly as good as Uzumaki (which was absolutely terrifying), but manages to be horrifying and interesting despite itself. I mean, really, farts and burps are often subject to very low comedy. To have an entire horror premise based on them is an achievement in and of itself.
Noah Soudrette
Feb 05, 2008 Noah Soudrette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Wow, it's really hard to explains what's going on here, and it doesn't make any sense anyway, but if you want to see some seriously fucked up weird goings on then this is the book for you. Ito is truly a standalone figure in horror comics. Also, this book has two bonus stories at the end, one of which is awesome.
Derek Royal
May 01, 2015 Derek Royal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wild ending to an unusual story. I wrote in my assessment of Gyo Vol. 1 that Junji Ito has a penchant for taking things to the edge without really going over the top. In this second volume of Gyo, he comes close to jumping the shark (pun intended). There's a lot of craziness in this book, but I just went along for the ride to see where the artist would end up taking me. The more surreal it got is with the gaseous circus, with its mechanical-legged creatures (fish, mammals, humans) performing u ...more
Keiran Thegreat
Apr 17, 2014 Keiran Thegreat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was really excellent, if anything it was better than volume 1. The story develops at a fast pace with some shocking and brutal scenes. Well worth reading, the strongest horror story manga I have read.
Also included are 2 short stories. One is only a few pages and is basically a bizarre mystery, the other is a disquieting tale about human-shaped holes in a geological formation and is one of the most interesting short stories I have enjoyed in the last few months.

Make sure to read Gyo Volume
Robb Bridson
Feb 06, 2014 Robb Bridson rated it liked it
To be fair, I never read volume 1. There was only one copy of Gyo available for interlibrary transfer in Michigan, and it was volume 2. I figured it would work out fine. I wanted to read this because I read the author's other work Uzumaki.
Uzumaki was not as much about story as about the twisted, grotesque art and overall feeling of existential horror and complete absurdity.

I was able to enjoy the story anyway, but it doesn't live up to Uzumaki.
It's as disturbing and even more grotesque, but Gyo
Tony McMillen
Dec 16, 2015 Tony McMillen rated it really liked it
Really weird imaginative stuff. Awesome artwork, great details on the fish monsters and the landscapes and buildings etc. My only complaint is that there were only two female characters and they were both written to be almost over the top caricatures. Kaori is presented as a whiny and bullying demanding type of girlfriend who basically screams at her boyfriend for most of the book to fight the monsters and save her as she makes bad decision after bad decision. I think is meant to be funny, and i ...more
Stephen
Apr 26, 2015 Stephen rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Another journey into the weird world of Junji Ito with Gyo. Kaori and Tadashi are in a vacation at Okinawa, but then they come across a fish with legs? Although with it comes a putrid rotting stench. After they have seemingly disposed of it, for some reason Kaori still smells the stench and is getting stronger. They discover more fish with legs are walking out of the ocean, bringing along more stench and before long everything goes out of control in Japan..

The story straighaway dives into the st
Sophia F
Dec 25, 2014 Sophia F rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, horror, sci-fi
To be completely honest, I really don't know how to review this manga. The concept of walking fish seemed extremely idiotic to me at first, but now that humans have become apart of this horrifying mechanism, it seems much more terrifying. This volume was serious until the strange circus part, where the people running the show (they looked infected, but were supposedly not) treated the situation as a joke.
At first, I thought it was interesting that even after a month, the fish problem had not im
Charles Dee Mitchell
At the end of volume 1, the hordes of dead fish marching onto land with their tiny mechanical legs had spread from Okinawa to the coast of Japan. Tadashi's girlfriend Kaori had become infected by the gaseous excretions from the mobile dead fish, his uncle Koyanagi was doing what he could to help, and Tadishi himself passed out in a vat of what appeared to be minnows mixed with the occasional squid. Just the typical goings on for an Ito manga.

Tadashi comes to in a hospital and discovers that Jap
Byron Campbell
Aug 29, 2013 Byron Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gyo is more straightforwardly grotesque and less psychologically disturbing than some of Ito's other work, although anybody who sees a frame or two of the two-volume series out of context might be excused for thinking otherwise. It dips its toes in absurdity more often than outright horror. However, the "fish out of water" scenes featuring ravenous great white sharks...WITH LEGS...are genuinely terrifying. The best and worst I can say about it is that it is, by far, the most original take on the ...more
Priyanka
Jun 25, 2013 Priyanka rated it liked it
Recommends it for: all those who love horror
[This review has been previously submitted by me at MyanimeList.net under the username _Rika]

Gyo— another maccabre horror manga by Itou Junji that I read after Uzumaki and Tomie. Having his works equipped with bizarre plots and aberrant visuals, Junji has proved that horror is not necessarily synonymous with 'the ghost with long black hair' or 'the evil, bloodsucking vampires lurking in the bush out there'. He has the ability to create gruesome horror out of anything and everything, even if it i
Faris Morgan
Aug 19, 2013 Faris Morgan rated it really liked it
After reading Uzumaki, I felt like I needed to read more horror manga. I am SO addicted to horror and although I didn't think it at first, it really can be much better than watching horror on tv at times!
There was a creepy feeling when reading Uzumaki, and that feeling returned instantly when reading Gyo. The artwork, the emotions captured on the faces, the grotesque art, they all gave the perfect atmosphere that was needed. You're really thrown right into the story and must fend for yourself i
Ape
2010 bookcrossing journal:

Ok, so I just read this anyway. I don't know whether I'd ever get hold of a copy of the first part, which seems to be out of print, and I couldn't really wait. I managed to follow the plot even though it's part two. It's not overly complicated and just generally very strange. There's some wierd disease, starting in fish, that gave them legs and they walked out of the sea. This disease has now gone across to humans. The fish die, the legs remain, and when a human is infe
Jason
Mar 24, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
Now here's where it gets real. Ito commits so wholeheartedly to his concept in the second volume, you can't help but be in awe. There are some disgusting (but terribly imaginative) images in this book. And the story filled with such utterly hopeless despair for any kind of redemption you just sort of detach and go along for the horrific ride. It's incredible, and unlike probably any horrid comic I've ever read. Still totally implausible, though :).
Joseph F.
Apr 09, 2014 Joseph F. rated it it was amazing
The conclusion to Ito's wonderful horror fest filled with imagery I cant get out of my heard.
The gas-run robots have stopped using fish and are harvesting humans to power them.
Truly horrifying but strangely poignant and upsetting at the same time. Even heartbreaking, which is why I thought it deserved 5 stars.
Make sure to read the two bonus stories at the end, especially the last one. You will probably not sleep that night!
Wanda
Aug 06, 2015 Wanda added it
I've read other works by Junji Ito, and although the premise and pseudoscience of these volumes is weaker, it doesn't make the story any less horrifying. I love how beautifully he draws characters (until they meet their doom), and am supremely repulsed by the grotesque caricatures of the human form. His use of hatching and dramatic lighting is peerless, and the emotions of his characters are powerfully portrayed. Brilliant!
Unai
Oct 11, 2012 Unai rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Una breve recomendación hoy de manga, que es una de las cosas en las que menos puesto ando y además de las que menos me atrae, al menos en su vertiente más “normal”. Si el otro día os traía sushi asesino, hoy sigo con el rollo de los peces y las idas de olla de Junji Ito. En esta historia de 2 tomos, Junji Ito nos presenta un Japón invadido por lo peces casi de la noche a la mañana. Peces muertos, salidos del mar con patas mecánicas, peces pequeños, grandes, tiburones blancos paseando por las ca ...more
Siti Savannah
Jun 24, 2014 Siti Savannah rated it really liked it
after getting the enigma of amigara fault i tried to read gyo because people recommend it
and after i have finished reading this
it's a really freaking creepy comic i have to say. it's ridiculously awesome and in some part (or most of part) disgusting
idk what thing i have to say again, it's really worth reading tbvh
Veronica
Feb 27, 2015 Veronica rated it really liked it
Second time reading this since highschool days, and I still find the storyline very freaky. It was a source of some nightmares for me back in the days. Perhaps the more terrifying one I find, is actually the bonus story at the end of the book. Junji Ito stories are in general very scary for me.
Andrea Santucci
Mar 30, 2015 Andrea Santucci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, weird, comics
Questo secondo e conclusivo volume di Gyo è ancora più all'insegna del WTF di quanto non lo fosse il precedente.

In più, la storia bonus alla fine, The Enigma of Amigara Fault, è assurdamente geniale.

Ora voglio leggere tutto quello che Junji Ito ha scritto, liste della spesa incluse.
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2 (Drifting Classroom)
  • The Bug Boy
  • Parasyte, Volume 1
  • Mr. Arashi's Amazing Freak Show
  • MPD Psycho, Vol. 1
  • Lychee Light Club
  • The Fugue (Fall of Cthulhu, #1)
  • Kitaro
  • Ode to Kirihito
Junji Itō (伊藤 潤二) Born in Gifu Prefecture in 1963, he was inspired from a young age by his older sister's drawing and Kazuo Umezu's comics and thus took an interest in drawing horror comics himself. Nevertheless, upon graduation he trained as a dental technician, and until the early 1990s he juggled his dental career with his increasingly successful hobby — even after being selected as the winner ...more
More about Junji Ito...