The Steam Magnate

The Steam Magnate

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Departing from formulaic themes involving quests, magicians, and mythical animals, this fantasy novel follows a character with powers more ordinary than most uber-wizards. Having inherited the steam-power legacy and the mysterious ability to funnel the assets of others into his own coffers through the mere use of ink and paper, Eson is hated by some and feared by others. W...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Aio Publishing Company (first published 2006)

Lora
I have never read a book like this before. The experience of reading it was much like the experience of looking at a watercolor painting. That's how the characters felt, muted, undefined, but vaguely beautiful. The plot, too, had this quality, such that I don't feel like anything happened, but there was still motion.

Just for the unique quality of the prose, I would recommend that people read it. They may not like it, but it will be a new experience.
Josie
Aug 18, 2013 Josie added it
This was an interesting read. I still don't feel like I understand what happened or what the motivations of *any* of the characters were, but the language and ideas were intriguing, at least.

LOTS of "telling" and very little "showing". If you're okay with that, then go for it. Otherwise, probably steer clear.
Jenne
Dec 28, 2009 Jenne marked it as didnt-finish
Not only dull, but also awkwardly written. Which is too bad, because it sounded really interesting, and there were some images that stuck with me. I gave it the Nancy Pearl 50-page try, but nope.
Nicely written, a lazy read, action unfolds slowly. I'm not sure I ever really get to know Kyra; she is never first person. Might read the sequel when it comes out if the time is right.
Sue
Unusual setting. Would have liked more details. Beautiful ideas could have been fleshed out more for me.
Avril
This is one of the strangest books I've every read. That being said, I still couldn't put it down.
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Erica Fox
Erica Fox marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2012
Emily Walz
Emily Walz marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2012
Michael Dillon
Michael Dillon marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2012
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2012
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2012
Larou
Larou added it
Feb 19, 2012
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2011
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2010
Chocolategoddess
Chocolategoddess marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2010
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2009
Ching-In
Ching-In marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2009