Start by marking “A Specter Is Haunting Texas ” as Want to Read:
A Specter Is Haunting Texas

A Specter Is Haunting Texas

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  10 reviews
A Spectre is Haunting Texas is a Fritz Leiber novel, 1st appearing as a book in '69, originally published as a 3-part serial in Galaxy Science Fiction in '68.
Scully Christopher Crockett La Cruz is an actor, fortune seeker & adventurer from the isolated orbital technocratic democracies of Circumluna & the Bubbles Congeries. He lands in what he believes to be Canada
Published July 1st 1992 by Collier Nucleus / Macmillan (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A Specter Is Haunting Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Specter Is Haunting Texas

Erik Graff
Jul 28, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Leiber fans
Recommended to Erik by: a Three Oaks bibliophile
Back in 1973, the parents having just divorced and me home from college for the summer, I decided to get my eight-years younger brother out of Chicago and away from our depressed father for a few months by bundling him off with me and my friend Martin to the family cottage in Michigan. I got enough work as a gardener for a couple of wealthy couples down the beach to pay the bills by working twenty hours a week and the three of us settled down to a season of sun, sand . . . and more sun and sand. ...more
R. Burns
Aug 31, 2009 R. Burns rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one liking Texas, hippies, actors and space opera
Originally, I read this book sometime in the early 1970s, the best I can recall. For those of you who are sci-fi aficionados (I'm not sure I am myself) this was the time of lots of small independent publishing houses that allowed quite a bit of experimentation in the genre.

First the blurb: The protagonist and first person narrator is a Mr. Christopher Crockett Del le Cruz is a denizen of the Sack, a bubble of space station the size of small asteroid that orbits the moon. Time is a couple of hund
Manny
Fritz Leiber, evidently far from sober, writes a bizarre and ill-conceived satire on George W. Bush's America and then manages to get out of his time machine in the wrong decade.

Well, that's the most plausible explanation I've come up with so far.
Sara Bean
This is outrageous, bizarre, hilarious, and extremely entertaining.
Perry Whitford
A skeleton-like man from the moon arrives on a future, post nuclear fall-out North America which has become dominated by hormonally enhanced Texans eight feet tall, who subjugate a shrunken class of Mexican helots to keep them in power.
As that introduction should prepare you for, complete nonsense ensues.

For some reason I entered into this book with the perception that it was going to be a meditative, literary piece, but that was far from the case!
It's a hokey, silly story, with stupid, frivol
R. Burns
I read this years ago. This is an example of a style/concept that today would probably never be published by a ever-increasingly conservative industry. I plan to re-read it in the coming months and I'll do a proper review when I do.
Olatundji Akpo-sani
Feb 01, 2014 Olatundji Akpo-sani rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Olatundji by: Rob Geisen
So far so good. Love to get back to 60's pulp Sci Fi. It has it's own flavor. kind of sweet, alien, and just the other side of the tracks from normal. 30 pages into 217
Rick Claypool
A chauvinistic, skeletonish moon man fakes his way through Mexican uprisings against hormone-bloated Texans in this silly and cynical not-too-distant future adventure.
Reuben Borman
Witty, intelligent, entertaining post-apocalyptic satire.
Peter
Interesting ideas - bit dated now
Em
Em marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Berkley McLean
Berkley McLean marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Haljon
Haljon marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Aaron Gable
Aaron Gable marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Ted
Ted marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Ivan
Ivan marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Marc Carstensen
Marc Carstensen marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
  • Search the Sky
  • A Mirror for Observers
  • Starburst
  • Half Past Human
  • Lord Of The Spiders Or Blades Of Mars (Michael Kane, Vol. 2)
  • Empire
  • Who?
  • Martians, Go Home
  • Crab Town
  • Good News from Outer Space
  • The Stone God Awakens
  • The Star Fox
Fritz Leiber was one of the more interesting of the young writers who came into HP Lovecraft's orbit, and some of his best early short fiction is horror rather than sf or fantasy. He found his mature voice early in the first of the sword-and-sorcery adventures featuring the large sensitive barbarian Fafhrd and the small street-smart-ish Gray Mouser; he returned to this series at various points in ...more
More about Fritz Leiber...
Swords and Deviltry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #1) Swords Against Death (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #2) Swords Against Wizardry (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #4) Swords in the Mist (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #3) Ill Met in Lankhmar (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, #1-2)