Start by marking “Deceptions” as Want to Read:
Deceptions

Deceptions (Deceptions #1)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,140 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
From the husband-and-wife writing team of Judith Michael comes this potboiler which plays on one of the oldest fantasies in the book: What if you not only had a twin, but decided one day to trade places... just for a little while. What begins as a lark for sisters Stephanie and Sabrina quickly turns into so much more in this surprisingly satisfying read in which, perhaps n ...more
Published August 1st 1994 by Pocket Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Deceptions, please sign up.

Kiran Not read this but once I do will add here if there are any I have read :)

Tatrd
Jan 25, 2015 Tatrd rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-pb
Lady Sabrina Longworth / Stephanie & GArth Anderson

Sabrina & Stephanie are identical twins who decide to change places for a week so Stephanie - the housewife and mother of two from the midwest - can try London high-society social life and independent life of Sabrina. While trading places, something happens to Stephanie and Sabrina is stuck trying not to hurt Stephanie's family and Garth for whom she's fallen.
Stephanie Jones
Oct 06, 2012 Stephanie Jones rated it really liked it
I read this many years ago, so my review is just my general impressions. I truly enjoyed this read, and now that I am older, I think I can relate even more to wanting to trade lives for just a while. I can also relate to getting caught up in a situation and not knowing how to extricate oneself from it for fear of hurting someone else. A good book that I wholeheartedly recommend.
Fran
Sep 09, 2015 Fran rated it it was amazing
This was one of my most read pocketbooks when I was younger but I must re-read this soon. :)
Mary Ann
Sep 30, 2015 Mary Ann rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was a teenager and I remember I really liked it - decided to read it again. Good to know I haven't changed much! Still loved it. About twins who switch identities - one a London socialite and the other a suburban American wife and mother. Complications ensue. It sounds soapy but really well written and insightful into the internal struggles each faces in their new roles. Now, reading the sequel!
Averil
Jan 24, 2016 Averil rated it really liked it
I've been wanting to read this fabulous 1980s bestseller since I spotted it many many years ago, in the bookshelf of one of my mum's friends. At the time I was a teen obsessed with the lives of Jessica & Elizabeth Wakefield of Sweet Valley High fame, and the idea of identical twins swapping lives just thrilled me to the core!

This novel then, is the tale of identical twins Sabrina and Stephanie Longworth - one a married housewife & mother, the other a rich & glamorous London socialit
Jane
Oct 22, 2014 Jane rated it it was amazing
I love Judith Michael's books and this is one of the best! The believable characters that pull you into the story and don't let you go until you finish the book. I highly recommend this book for a good weekend book.
Randy Wiggins
Oct 27, 2011 Randy Wiggins rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite novel! #1 and always will be! It is probably the first adult novel I ever reead or darn close to it.
Chana
For a romance, it was pretty good. I enjoyed reading it; it wasn't boring or eye-rollingly stupid; it was well-written, light and relaxing reading.
Sabrina and Stephanie are twin sisters and have been very close all their lives. Stephanie has been married for a dozen years to a scientist in the mid-west. Sabrina has a successful antiques business in London and is divorced from a very wealthy man. Neither sister is entirely happy in her life. They plan a trip together to China and while there they
Francesco
Jan 26, 2016 Francesco rated it liked it
6++/10
Joanne
Apr 27, 2015 Joanne rated it really liked it
My first Judith Michael book and I loved it. Basically, identical twin sisters swap lives for a week and do not consider the consequences or the extent of the deception involved. Then tragedy strikes and changes everything. Stephanie lives Sabrina's glamorous jet set lifestyle becoming a successful business woman, whilst Sabrina takes on the role of a suburban houswife to a professor with two children. I became emotionally invested in the character's lives, especially Sabrina and Garth's. I love ...more
Glenda
Identical twins Sabrina and Stephanie Longworth grew up very close, but are now living very different lives. Sabrina, once married to a wealthy English aristocrat, lives in London and runs a successful antiques business. Stephanie married Garth Anderson, a university professor and researcher. She stays at home to raise her two children and envies her sister's glamorous life. In fact, neither one is completely content with their circumstances and on a trip together they decide to change places an ...more
Fiary
Sep 25, 2008 Fiary rated it really liked it
Novel yang menarik, menggambarkan karakter kembar identik dengan kepribadian yang berbeda, yang ditulis oleh sepasang suami istri.
Garth, sang suami, dosen yang gak silau dengan tawaran kerja yang bisa menggoyahkan idealismenya. Kekhasan istri-istri para pejabat, dimana-mana sama aja, ada yang suka saling pamer!
Sifat Stephanie, yang juga khas sifat manusia, suka iri kalau rumput tetangga lebih hijau. Sesekali ingin juga merasakan gimana hidup sebagai orang kaya, berada dan borjuis, hingga melup
lia
Mar 15, 2012 lia rated it liked it

Sabrina and Stephanie Longworth are twins.
Sabrina married a wealthy English aristocrat and divorced him. She now runs a successful antiques business in London. Stephanie married Garth Anderson, a scientist and university professor. She stays at home in the suburbs with their two children and envies her sister's jet set lifestyle. Stephanie's desire for a more exciting life is putting a strain on her marriage.

One day, the sisters agree to play a deception and switch places. Stephanie go
Lynn
Aug 24, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Aw, c'mon. Who wouldn't want to have a twin sister to trade places with? Especially a rich one?

I like this better than most romance novels because the protagonists are active women who don't let men dictate their every action. That's always a draw for me.

Not great literature, but lots of fun, with beautiful women and handsome men having intercourse with each other. What's not to like? :-)
Janet
Deceptions - Book 1 -- A good read from start to finish. -- but a cliffhanger.

A Tangled Web - Book 2 -- I had trouble with this one. The first 60-70% was a little boring and I had to force myself to continue reading. But then, it picked up and had a good finish. Glad I kept reading.
May 31, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and it kept me involved the whole way through. I didn't pay attention to the summary of what the book was about and at first I was startled that it wasn't a historical romance which I had originally thought it was.
I quickly became involved with the deception twin sisters, Sabrina and Stephanie, created by switching lives. As time goes on things happen that make the deception continue longer than planned and each sister becomes more and more involved in the others lives that mor
Libby
Aug 02, 2015 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: light-reading
Great summer reading book. I had read it years ago and just added it to my e-reader for my vacation. Still enjoyed it.
Cathy Grant
Apr 27, 2015 Cathy Grant rated it it was amazing
Read this ages ago and loved it. Definitely would like to read it again.
Bejohnson
May 05, 2015 Bejohnson rated it liked it
ever wanted to be in another's shoes? this is the book to read then
Kathryn
Sep 26, 2013 Kathryn rated it liked it
Old School challenge, 2013

I saw the miniseries on which this book is based when it first aired, a few decades ago. To my recollection, there are a number of differences and of course this book delves more into backstory on the identical twins who secretly trade places for a week (of course, an assortment of problems force them to prolong the charade). It is an intriguing story, one that held my attention for a plane ride, but the POV head-hopping (it's constant) rattled me. I might have ratchete
Mary Doyle
Sep 28, 2015 Mary Doyle rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book - highly recommended!
Freshy
May 18, 2016 Freshy rated it really liked it
Sa wakas sa wakas nahuman ra jd ko aning libroha! whew! sa tinuod simple lang kau ang story dili na kelangan og taas kau na narrative na bore ko sa mga inner monologues ni sabrina. pero bisan natas.an ko kay na lingaw gihapon ko og basa kay drama kau og lab man gd nako c professor garth hehehe. wla kau ko naluoy sa gidangat ni stephanie kay igat jud na bayhana mai ra nawagtang sa buhay nila. pero naglagot ko sa twist in the end tho wla na ko natingala. malas ka steph i hope u realize u lost more ...more
Bhavesha Shah
Sep 12, 2015 Bhavesha Shah rated it it was amazing
Gripping story
Elizabeth Merchant
I cannot rate this because I would give it a 5 and I know it's terrible. But it's really great terrible and I must have read it five times when I was a teen. It was also a scintillating TV movie.
Susan Ellis
Good story about twins, age 32, living on different continents, one married with 2 children and one divorced. Neither one is completely content and on a trip together decide to change places and pretend to be the other for a week. Needless to say, circumstances delay each of them to return to their own life.

There was no language in this book until the end and a lot of it.. If the book had started out that way - I wouldn't have read it.
Hippo dari Hongkong
Jan 17, 2008 Hippo dari Hongkong rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiksi
Dua orang wanita kembar yang pada awalnya iseng saling bertukar identitas. Sabrina yang hidup glamor di Inggris bertukar tempat dengan Stephanie kembarannya yang menjalani hidup "membosankan" sebadai ibu rumah tangga di Amerika...
Keadaan menjadi ruwet ketika Sabrina jatuh cinta dengan Garth suami Stephanie.. Dan terjadinya sebuah kecelakaan membuat keisengan mereka berakibat fatal...
yah, begitulah... Hehehe...
Sherrie
Sep 24, 2015 Sherrie rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. Did not know til the very end how it was going to turn out. Happy ending for once!
Pamela
Nov 02, 2011 Pamela rated it really liked it
Terrie
One of maybe 5 books I have read more than once. Twin sisters trade places. One is a mother with children. The other is a globe trotting businesswoman. The tension is just nail biting! A real page turner! This one is a little more racy than I usually enjoy, so beware it does have a little sex.
Palsay
Apr 16, 2009 Palsay rated it liked it
duh enak juga yah baca-baca novel seperti ini....^_^...

Kisah gadis kembar yang memiliki kehidupan berbeda, lalu suatu saat keduanya memutuskan untuk bertukar tempat.
Masalahnya, tidak semua hal dapat direncanakan, termasuk cinta yang tidak pada tempatnya...

• Princess Daisy
  • Queenie
  • Unexpected Blessings (Emma Harte Saga #5)
  • For My Daughters
  • Sins of the Fathers
  • Lace
  • Blessings
  • The Wrong Sister (Sister, #4)
  • Back for Seconds (Lone Star Second Chances #1)
  • Once Is Not Enough
  • A Perfect Marriage (Silhouette Intimate Moments, #621)
  • Captive Passions (Captive, #1)
  • Family Blessings
  • Savage Desire (Morgan-Challenger #6)
Judith Michael is the pen name of husband/wife team Judith Barnard (b. 1934) and Michael Fain (b. 1937).
More about Judith Michael...

Deceptions (2 books)
  • A Tangled Web

“Stephanie. Listen to me. I love you. I can't imagine making a life without you. Nothing I do means a damn thing if I can't bring it home to you - if I can't say your name and hear you answer - if I can't go to sleep at night knowing that when I open my eyes in the morning I'll find you next to me. All the wonder of my work disappears when I look at the wonder of you. The discoveries are there, even the excitement is there, but it's empty, it doesn't mean a damn thing to me without you. I am not complete without you. Don't you understand that?” 0 likes