Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?

Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  19 reviews
John R. Powers has written three other novels: The Last Catholic in America, The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice Cream God and The Junk-Drawers Corner-Store Front-Porch Blues. He lives in Wisconsin.
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published 1975 by Popular Library

Carei
This was the best kept secret in Jr. High School. I read it and couldn't believe that I hadn't heard of it! I didn't let anyone else know about it cuz I just knew it would be removed from the library and this was before anyone thought of removing books from the library!
It was so sexy and provocative, I just LOVED it. I'd never read anything like it in my life. Very MEMORABLE book.
Melody
This is a 'go to' book for me. Anytime I want to read something fun and funny - this is the book I grab. I first read this book in high school and have reread it at least once every couple of years. I still laugh out loud when I read it. The story telling is great. It has a great flow and character development. A truly enjoyable read.
GreatNorthern Wisconsin
John Power's book is a wonderfully touching book about pre-Vatican II Catholicism and more specifically life in the South Side of Chicago. Even more specifically in the area of how Catholics perceived the world in 1964 and how the world viewed us, I mean Catholics.

Sorry to have let that slip, but all too often the Catholic Church has been viewed as a monolith. It ain't. There are so many different ways that Eddie Ryan viewed faith and friends in high school, ranging from hope, annoyance, confor...more
Steven Schwope
This comedic musical follows eight catholic school children all the way from the start of elementary school through their senior prom. As we see their experiences with confessions, puppy love, and sex ed classes (where the girls learn to wear panties, because their black patent leather shoes reflect up, and the boys learn to control their urges.) We can also watch them grow from kids to mature young people. They learn many life lessons along the way through humorous songs and witty dialogue. Thi...more
Kerry Zukus
Powers' second book in his trilogy, this coming of age tale is full of humor and warmth. A very enjoyable read.
Suzy Prybell
Apr 19, 2008 Suzy Prybell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a book that's highly amusing
Recommended to Suzy by: Allan
I would actually give this book 4.5 stars. The beginning reminded me of The Catcher in the Rye and the same style of writing that JD Salinger used for Holden Caulfield. It's written as this boy Eddie, goes from Freshman to Senior year in highschool. I've read books that people say makes them laugh out loud, and although I've found them amusing, I've never really laughed out loud at them. This one I did laugh out loud. I enjoyed the writing style and being in the head of a 13 year old boy is rath...more
Jodi
A high-school classic! My dad recommended it, and it really resonated for him, as one who attended Catholic school in the 1950s and 1960s. I was not raised Catholic and read it in the 1980s but it was still a wonderful book to me.
Molly Gonzales
This book is hilarious and brings back so many memories for me. I grew up Catholic and went to a private school until 8th grade. I always go back to this book time and time again. I love it!
Virginia
I'm not Catholic, but I was raised by one, and married one. This book was an enjoyable look into Catholic childhoods in the '50s and '60s.

And it gave me some insight into my mother.
Tam
This book is the funniest book ever written. Especially if you understand the culture of growing up Catholic. If you have a used copy you'd sell me, I'd love to buy it from you!
Katerlio
found it on the street, left it on the plane. funny parts, slight tinge of melancholic nostalgia, excellent descriptions of sock hops.
Sarah Wells
This and Powers' other Catholic school based book were quite entertaining and worth the garage sale purchase ;)
Carolyn
Bobby gave me this book to read while in high school. It is funny. I need to go back and read it again.
Allan Sanedrin
If you grew up Catholic in Chicago (like me), you would definitely relate to this book.
Jim
Funny and touching book about growing up Catholic.
Marc
Fair-to-middling. Does not live up to the hype.
amy
Senior year at UMD - I played Virginia.
Mandie Pendola
Mandie Pendola marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Cmagj
Cmagj marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Madlyne Dodds
Madlyne Dodds marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
  • Mama's Bank Account
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere,Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
  • The Golden Name Day
  • Studs Lonigan
  • Freddy the Detective
  • Words You Don't Want to Hear During Your Annual Performance Review (Dilbert, #22)
  • 36 Children
  • The Singing Creek Where the Willows Grow: The Mystical Nature Diary of Opal Whiteley
  • Much Ado About Nothing
  • Creatures of the Kingdom
  • Gray's Anatomy
  • Good Times/Bad Times
  • Microbe Hunters
  • Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #5)
  • Pardon Me, You're Stepping on My Eyeball
  • Journey Cake, Ho!
  • Downhill Chance
  • The Journey That Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey
The Last Catholic in America The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice-Cream God The Junk-Drawer Corner-Store Front-Porch Blues Odditude: Embracing the Eccentric Within Odditude: Finding the Passion for Who You Are and What You Do