Start by marking “Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought” as Want to Read:
Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought

Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought

Drug addiction, rising divorce rates, increasing crime and illiteracy. Why are people unable to solve some of the most pressing problems of society today? In this book, L. Ron Hubbard gives readers a practical means to overcome personal problems, become more at peace with themselves, improve communication in the family, and find greater happiness.
Published November 28th 1998 by Bridge Publications, Inc. (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Scientology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scientology

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
The Worst Books of All Time
9th out of 6,372 books — 17,413 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerFirst Step 2 Forever by Justin BieberConfessions of a Guidette by Nicole "Snooki" PolizziGoing Rogue by Sarah PalinBirth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also R... by Eliyzabeth Yanne Strong-And...
Dealbreakers: If You Like This Book, We Won't Get Along
127th out of 1,620 books — 5,397 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 12, 2014 Keith rated it did not like it
I found myself in a youth hostel last night with nothing much to do for an hour or two except to skim the selection of books on the "take a book/leave a book" shelf in one of the hostel's common areas. What better time to wander into the dark weirdness of Scientology?

So, in short: Each page has about 5-10 footnotes, consisting entirely of definitions to words you already know, like "physics" and "foundation" and "chemistry" (no joke, I remember those all from page 2). However, there are usually
Dec 02, 2008 Matthew rated it did not like it
Worth reading to understand the bizarre worldview of Scientologists. This book focuses on the peculiar "psychology" created by L. Ron Hubbard. It's entertaining to read as a psychologist, as many of the basic tenets of thought as Hubbard describes them have been well-researched and empirically disproved by cognitive psychologists half a century ago. A large cornerstone of the Scientology cosmology is the idea that it is based on reason and science (as opposed to the other legs it stands on, like ...more
Sep 01, 2012 Dezeree rated it did not like it
I can honestly say that I don't know WTF I just read.
Omnipotent Dystopian Now
Dec 16, 2012 Omnipotent Dystopian Now rated it did not like it
Shelves: hot-garbage
I decided to check this book out with the hopes that it might shed some light on the allure of Scientology. All I found in this read was the incoherent ramblings of a madman. I do find it amusing that so many people find this "religion" to be helpful. In my opinion this is one big scam, and what's really interesting is that there are people out there that are actually buying into it! But at least Scientologists aren’t knocking on my door pushing their agenda.
Modern Hermeneut
Jan 02, 2009 Modern Hermeneut rated it did not like it
On the one hand, there is much to be said about this ambitious and demented little volume. On the other, there is very little that would be worth the saying.
Mar 20, 2012 Anoop rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2009 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked this up hoping to get some insight into Scientologist beliefs, but I don't feel all that much more informed. The very basic principles of Scientological thought are briefly outlined, but Hubbard gives very little depth to any of the ideas, most of which seem quite contemporary by today's standards (creation and destruction lifecycles/game theory/spirituality and astral projection). The second-half of the book, bizarrely, appears to outline instructions for a practitioner, describing how ...more
Apr 27, 2014 Joseph rated it it was ok

the book is completely condescending. at one point i recall the author stating something to the effect of: "if you don't understand anything in this book, reread it until you understand it." it's also got a glossary in the back which is strange. further, there were illustrations to the "belief" system of scientology which was weird.

some interesting things though: how "auditing" was explained and should be implemented. how scientologists view life as a "win-lose game." there were other met
Sep 29, 2010 Andy rated it it was amazing
I love philosophy that is on the practical side and this book nails it. Really, really good.
Mar 10, 2008 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
For my view on why I don't believe in reviews, see my commentary on "The Problems of Work" in my books read. I am reading these basic Scientology books because they were recently re-released in Summer 2007 after a pain-staking 20 years of research into the original books and discovery of mistakes made by transcriptionists which made many of the books incomprensible. The publisher had each book checked against the original notes and dictations of L. Ron Hubbard. In having read The Problems of Wor ...more
Nov 04, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it
As I said in my previous review on "Scientology: A New Slant on Life", I am trying to understand what Scientologists believe as it doesn't seem to be widespread public knowledge. Somewhat like the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, of which I am a member, there is a disinformation campaign that seems to try to discredit and misrepresent them led by apostates and other people out there with an axe to grind. In the spirit of Article of Faith number 11, which states: "We claim the privile ...more
Matthew Brand
Jun 22, 2015 Matthew Brand rated it did not like it
Just garbage. Poorly written and concepts are self-important drivel that don't actually say anything. Here's a prime example sentence:
"In Scientology, the word 'postulate' means to cause a thinkingness or consideration."

THINKINGNESS?! You have a good word right there to use! I know you know it because it's in the sentence. The book is full of these made-up words that just add confusion while trying to sound grandiose.
Mar 02, 2011 Brooke rated it did not like it
While the book states that scientology is not a religion, it sure seems like one. I gave up on reading this book after about two chapters because it did not make sense to me. Also, the writing style is very repetitive, almost to the point of attempted brainwashing. I know some people think Scientology is a crazy religion, with crazy practices...but is it really any different than any other organized religion?

As a book, "Scientology" is cyclical and repetitive, but I think that's the point. As an
Ross Blocher
Dec 27, 2015 Ross Blocher rated it liked it
Wow. If you want to understand the basic tenets of Scientology, this is the book to read.
Apr 15, 2015 Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
This book dramatically changed my life for the good - and I didn't actually think that was possible. I look at life with happiness and excitement, rather than despair. I am enthusiastic about the future, rather than worried about it. I love my fellow man, and understand them, so much more than I thought possible, even when they may seem to act irrationally. I give better advice and am able to help my friends. I am more calm. I am happier. This book just makes so much sense, and I love it!!This b ...more
Thomas Cook
Jun 01, 2008 Thomas Cook rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the basics of scientology
Shelves: philosophy
To start with I am not a Scientologist nor do I have anything against them. I was really expecting this book to be more interesting. I was sadly disappointed at its very basic philosophical notions. It had interesting ideas in a couple of areas, but very little evidence or logic to back up these ideas. I enjoy learning about different religions and schools of thought, but unfortunately there wasn't anything new or exciting to be found in this book.
Dec 08, 2014 James rated it it was amazing
The book is a collection of articles written by Mr. Hubbard on some clear, basic fundamentals of Scientology. If you study this book to see what you can use and apply, then buy this book. If your attitude is such that you want to make fun of the book or want to prove it wrong, then go elsewhere.

I found the best parts of the book regarding how to deal with people especially with the chapter Life is a Game and the idea that people create problems was fascinating. Life is a game, and there are fre
Kim Herrick
Jan 28, 2015 Kim Herrick rated it did not like it
Just a weird book with no substantiation and very little logic, if you look at the review chart its mostly #1's out of 5 - I read it however I don't understand a bit of what the author was trying to convey, prove or describe. Poor writing structure, sentence, paragraph and overall format / intro through any conclusion. does not appear to be written by one formally educated in language arts or linguistics. Jumbled would be a complement. just one batch of sentences after another in paragraph form ...more
Hobart Frolley
Sep 01, 2012 Hobart Frolley rated it did not like it
I always like to read up on something before I judge it. Now I can honestly say Scientology is one of the most assinine concepts ever. Written in an oversimplified language, it is also very repetitive and makes claims that it would be impossible to actually deliver on.
Dec 17, 2008 Brett rated it did not like it
This book is just funny I have got to say. Kudos to a man that can make a religion off of pseudoscience and call it their own through books after books on the stuff. I had to read a little about it though to see for myself.
María Greene
Oct 03, 2015 María Greene rated it did not like it
En mis años de búsqueda (aún inacabados, pero ahora más tranqui) he leído DE TODO y lo he hecho con mente abierta, y todo... todo en alguna parte tiene cierto sentido, de la misma manera en que todas las cosas, si se miran solo en una secuencia, tienen que seguir cierto orden en una seguidilla, aunque a nivel macro no lo hagan, pero este libro... es una locura.

Más encima, esta ciencia es tan exclusiva que no era de esos que uno podía arrendar o conseguirse con alguien, como la metafísica de la C
Cal Jahan
Mar 03, 2016 Cal Jahan rated it did not like it
Convoluted. I'd give it 0 star if it was possible. If you're interested in Scientology, definitely read this book, because it will scare/stupid you straight! In the guise of therapeutic practice, they call it "auditing", they will actually create neurosis. Per the book's auditing instructions, they will force you to lie and invent stuff, then tell you to shut up if you talk too much. Full of nonsensical theories. I'm not sure how could the "Church" continue to publish this crap. Btw, watch "The ...more
Apr 26, 2009 Laith rated it did not like it
Though it gives the reader a glance into a sphere of abnormal structure of living, but it certainly gives the reader a deep look into the twisted norms of a cult.
Anthony Thompson
Apr 08, 2016 Anthony Thompson rated it did not like it
The Book of Mormon has been passed on the right as the most crazy religious text I've ever read.

All bluster. No science. No logos.

It's as if the r/iamverysmart subreddit became a human and wrote a book.

It starts off with a concept all religions do. This religion is most correct. Believing anything else is stupid. Except Hubbard's book actually uses the word stupid over and over again.

It nonsensically redubs Soul to Thetan. It takes basic psychological tenants and breaks them down to useless
John Goodman
May 21, 2013 John Goodman rated it it was ok
This book is interesting and gives you insights on Scientology. The book was a gift from one of L. Ron's residences ..
Tim Price
Apr 15, 2015 Tim Price rated it it was amazing
I first tried to study this book, and I rushed through it and found it quite difficult to understand.
I put it down for a while and then about 7 months later, I decided to pick it up again and give it another shot. I decided to take my time with it and really make sure that I understood each sentence, each paragraph, each chapter, etc.

All I can say is wow! What I got out of it has honestly changed my life!
I could carry on for ages, but all I can recommend is that you go buy this book, READ IT, ap
Jul 20, 2007 Anna added it
Recommends it for: all interested in religion
Wow... and not necessarily in a postive way.
Dec 17, 2010 Sara rated it did not like it
Laughably terrible
Lacey Louwagie
So I picked up this audiobook because I'm interested in religion, in what different faith's "actual" belief systems are amidst all the stereotyping that happens. I knew nothing credible about scientology -- except that a lot of celebrities subscribe to the religion -- when I started this book. And quite frankly, I feel as if I still know nothing now.

The book didn't do much to outline where the scientology belief system actually comes from, nor did it spend very much time talking about God or spi
Jennifer Atkins
Apr 15, 2015 Jennifer Atkins rated it it was amazing
When I read this book for the first time I didn't know what to think of it again. Then I read it again, as part of a course in the Melbourne Church, and I got it. I then watched the videos based on the book and it made it all clear to me. It's actually quite simple information, I think that's why it was hard to understand at first. You can get the DVD here:
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • March of the Titans: A History of the White Race
  • Pistis Sophia: A Gnostic Gospel
  • 6 Sick Hipsters
  • Treatise of Revolutionary Psychology: The Gnostic Method of Real Spiritual Awakening
  • Evil: A Primer: A History of a Bad Idea from Beelzebub to Bin Laden
  • Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality
  • The Nag Hammadi Scriptures
  • America's March to Socialism: Why we're one step closer to giant missile parades
  • Healing with Form, Energy, and Light: The Five Elements in Tibetan Shamanism, Tantra, and Dzogchen
  • A Travel Guide to Heaven
  • Does the Center Hold?: An Introduction to Western Philosophy
  • The Key to Theosophy
  • The Hidden Face of God: Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth
  • Guilty: Liberal "Victims" and Their Assault on America
  • The Gospel According to Starbucks: Living with a Grande Passion
  • Richard Hittleman's Yoga: 28 Day Exercise Plan
  • Numerology and the Divine Triangle
L. Ron Hubbard was a popular pulp writer of science fiction, fantasy, adventure, mysteries and westerns during the 1930s and later founder of Dianetics and Scientology.

With 19 New York Times bestsellers and more than 350 million copies of his works in circulation, L. Ron Hubbard is among the most acclaimed and widely read authors of our time. As a leading light of American Pulp Fiction through the
More about L. Ron Hubbard...

“Scientology does not teach you. It only reminds you. For the information was yours in the first place.” 14 likes