Start by marking “Barnum Brown: Dinosaur Hunter” as Want to Read:
Barnum Brown: Dinosaur Hunter

Barnum Brown: Dinosaur Hunter

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  34 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Barnum Brown had one ambition as a child: to grow up to be a great dinosaur hunter. And that's just what he did when he was hired by the American Natural History Museum—working to build their astounding collection.
Barnum had a knack for finding dinosaur bones, a skill that rivaled the paleontologists before him. His most amazing discovery was uncovering the largest carni
Published October 3rd 2006 by Walker Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Barnum Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barnum Brown

Cara
Kind of wordy for a kid's book, but it was full of facts (facts about Brown, not dinosaurs).
I'd never heard of Barnum Brown before reading this book, so it was cool to find out that he discovered T. Rex.
Really 3.5 stars, but my son really enjoyed the pictures.
Megan
Oct 10, 2013 Megan rated it liked it
This story is filled with many interesting names and facts. Sheldon has written the chronology of Brown’s life to flow from one page to the next and keeps readers interested with the details in the illustrations. The pictures look both smooth and textured, depicting each stage in Barnum’s life with a clarity that puts the reader right in his hot, dusty shoes. Sheldon does an excellent job portraying the time era, both with explanations in the text and within the pictures. The way the illustratio ...more
Rani
Engaging introduction to the world of the famous dinosaur hunter and his most famous find that continues to inspire us today.
Madeline Wakem
Apr 20, 2016 Madeline Wakem rated it really liked it
If you ever wanted to know who found many of the famous dinosaurs we know today, read this book!
Shelli
Dec 11, 2014 Shelli rated it really liked it
Barnum Brown Dinosaur Hunter is a non-fictional account of a young scientist at the forefront of a new science: paleontology. Barnum’s passion and nose for finding dinosaur bones lead to the unearthing of several undiscovered species of dinosaur, including the never before seen Tyrannosaurus Rex. David Sheldon penned and illustrated a fascinating and beautiful book that kids will love and learn from. The afterward does a nice job of delving even further into the rivalry’s between paleontologists ...more
Thomas
Nov 24, 2013 Thomas rated it liked it
When the first time I saw this book, I was watching the cover on back side. You can see the archaeologist is respect for these bones which he had discovered from earth show up those of specimens in some exhibitions. I found something interesting on the front cover page. A tyrannosaurus is staring at the dinosaur hunter while its bone is being dug by a dinosaur hunter. When you see the back side of the cover, you are watching a brontosaurus’s figure. It is very cool.
Matthew
This biography is very informative and concise. I learned a lot from reading it. It was a real pleasure to follow Barnum Brown's exploits as he made his discoveries. Also, the loose peppering of odd facts, like that he would wear bizarre outfits to further his appeal as a showman really helped with the overall appeal of the book. It was a strong biographical account and the illustrations are pleasant and cheerfully presented. Overall, a true delight of a story.
Angie
Dec 27, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-non-fic
Though I still do not understand the fascination with dinosaurs ... the kiddos at my school love them. This is a nicely accessible picture book biography to encourage casual readers. Not quite enough info for research ... but more than enough to pique curiosity to look further!
Ratforcekids
This is a picture book biography about a man who uncovered one of the largest carnivores that ever walked the earth: Tyrannosaurus Rex. A great story for budding palentologists.
Kiddo
Oct 20, 2013 Kiddo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-with-facts
Perhaps 5 stars is overly generous. I haven't read anything else about Barnum Brown. Still, we've enjoyed this.
Rachel
Nov 07, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Interesting book with nice illustrations, but it skips over a lot of his life story and the text is a little stilted.
Another interesting picture book biography! I confess I never heard of Barnum Brown before reading this book!
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It's about a guy named Brown who finds fossils. B
Andréa
Andréa rated it liked it
May 17, 2016
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Heather Miller
Heather Miller rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Annie
Annie added it
Feb 21, 2016
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Bella Twilight
Bella Twilight rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Meredith Liddick
Meredith Liddick rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Grey
Grey rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2015
Laya Liang
Laya Liang marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Anne
Anne added it
Feb 09, 2015
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
Kristine
Kristine rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
David Sheldon is the illustrator of many books and more recently the author of biographies for children. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife Margit and their three children.
More about David Sheldon...