Start by marking “Dancing with an Alien” as Want to Read:
Dancing with an Alien

Dancing with an Alien

Branko has come to Earth on a grave mission: He must find a female and bring her home. What will happen to her on his planet isn't quite clear. But without her, his planet could die.

Tonia has always loved summer, but this one is different. Her best friend is changing and her family seems to be falling apart. Then she meets someone unlike anyone she's ever met before, and s
Published February 5th 2002 by HarperTeen (first published April 26th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing with an Alien, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing with an Alien

April
Sep 07, 2008 April rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, 2008
So there's this guy who's an alien, and he is sent to Earth to find a woman, because all the female aliens on his planet died so they have to co-opt Earth-girls to be babymakers so their alien species can continue to exist.

And there's this girl who does her own thing and is really kind of together and cool and then this alien-boy comes around and she stops being so confident and gets whiny and needy and totally dependent on this person she met, like, two hours ago.

Yay! Another book that perpetua
Stephanie Jefferson
I found it to be interesting. Has a really good hook.
Diane
Dec 24, 2016 Diane rated it liked it
Branko has been sent to earth to find a mate ... someone who will return to his planet and help repopulate it. All the women have been killed by a mysterious disease. When Tonia saves him from drowning, he knows he has found the one. But as he continues to see her and falls in love, he knows how miserable she will be on his planet. Can he put her through it? Or should he return to his planet in shame? Tonia is strong willed and has never has a boyfriend before. Close to her family, well she leav ...more
Trevor Miller
This story is told in 2 voices: Branko - an alien come to earth seeking females to return to his planet and Tonia - a high school girl who's never been in love before. Branko comes to the planet Earth to find females and bring them back home. He needs to find a girl, and he finds needs Tonia. Tonia saves Branko from drowning and quickly falls in love with him. He thinks he likes her but of course he has never "loved" someone before. She finds this unusual because there has never been a guy that ...more
Julia
Aug 24, 2009 Julia rated it liked it
This story is told in 2 voices: Branko - an alien come to earth seeking females to return to his planet - and Tonia - a high school girl who's never been in love before. It is short (at 133 pages) and much more poingant by being simple in it's telling.

Branko looks human enough and is on earth only a short while to find his female. He meets Tonia and thinks she is perfect (probably helped by the fact that she saved him from drowning). Tonia doesn't quite know what to make of Branko who is kind an
Ashley Schwartau
Sep 18, 2012 Ashley Schwartau rated it did not like it
UG.
So lame.

The voice wasn't a convincing 17 year old. Sounded like an old person trying to write a teen, or what a teen in a book from the 70s might sound like. The slang was forced, there was ZERO usage of contractions ( I mean, who doesn't use contractions?) and 17 year old getting all bent out of shape because her BFF gets to make out with a guy? It just didn't make any sense. For a 12 year old, yes, but not for a 17 year old.

ALSO the plot was dumb. By the end, nothing had really changed or
Beto
Apr 13, 2008 Beto rated it it was amazing
I read this book with very good expectatives.I like it so much because the author narate the book if she was in the book like real life, thats why it it takes my atenttion so much. The book is about an alien is in the earth on a mision and now he is traing to acostumbrate to earth"s life. This book make me have a lot of predictions because the author explain it so good so I can predict a lot of things like when the alien Brankd, for first time he saw a lake it was so rear for him and she explain ...more
Carola
Nov 22, 2007 Carola rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mr. T
I recommend these book to people who like love stories.A alien comes from mars and his mission is to get a human female and take her home. He does not know much about this civilization. He learns by watching otter people act and reading books. A girl who loved swimming, notice that the summer was chaining her best friend has a boy friend, and her parents are splitting. But when the alien and she gets to know each otter a magical love story happens. but what will happen will she go to mars or wil ...more
J. Kirsch
Sep 26, 2014 J. Kirsch rated it it was amazing
A sweet, touching romance about a girl and an alien boy who fall in love despite very different cultural views. It's a little cheesy, yes - but if you don't overthink it, this book will leave a lasting impression. If you believe in the power of love at all and what it can accomplish, (or the sacrifices we make because of it), then I think you'll find this to be a story well worth getting into and enjoying.
Angela
Sep 08, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I love this book even though it has a pretty sad ending. One of the reasons that I liked this book is for being funny because Branko usually says some awkward things that he learned from his own planet about Earth and the relationship's of people. This book is entertaining to me because there are two perspectives to the story; one from a girl names Antonia(Tonia) and Branko(an alien from another planet).
Jessica
Sep 15, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all high school girls who love mysterious love stories.
Recommended to Jessica by: the librarian
Shelves: book-club
This book is about a girl who is really tall and boys dont like her. But one day she goes to the beach and meets a boy who is taller than her and she falls in love with him and finds out hes not what he said he was.
This is a very good book i loved it! it keept me on the edge of my seat and i just couldnt put it down, i read it all in one night! I recommend this book to all girls in high school who like mysterious love stories.
This book Rocked!
Yakari
May 07, 2008 Yakari rated it really liked it
Shelves: top-fav
At first glance I thought this book would be stupid but OMG I really liked it. It was such a neat little story that I recommend this to any girl who feels awkward around other people and guys to the point where you think you will never find no one special for yourself...it makes you think that, you know, that there may be hope yet for yourself for someone to love you in this world.
Kristin Aker Howell
Logue's dry sense of humor makes this dual point of view novel a fun read in addition to an honest look at the depth of feeling between teens falling quickly in love.The relationship between the two main characters is funny, unique and genuine. The fact that one of them is an alien seems to make him even more human. Memorable.
Claudia Choi
Apr 27, 2012 Claudia Choi rated it it was amazing
What happens when all women die out? Can there be life? Can the planet even survive? Your mission is to bring a female from earth, who will help us have more women. We do not believe in violence so she has to agree to come with you.
Delaina
May 15, 2009 Delaina rated it it was ok
I read this many years ago, and wasn't terribly impressed. It was well-written, as I recall, but I had a hard time identifying with the lead girl. But take this with a grain of salt, as I may have just been the wrong audience.
Parker
Dec 17, 2011 Parker rated it really liked it
Another gem hiding in the high school library. Initially amused at the cheesiness, I found the story quickly growing on me. This was an endearing alien love tale that had me smiling and remembering for years afterward.
Natacia
Aug 09, 2014 Natacia rated it it was amazing
I liked the concept of the story. Personally, I think it could have been written a little deeper than and the characters explored a little more. But they story is nice for a light read during a road trip or between deeper novels.
Donna Nix
Mar 27, 2012 Donna Nix rated it really liked it
Adding this years after I read the book. I liked it for the same reasons others have mentioned: unique premise with interesting characters. I just want to add that it is set in the Twin Cities, so Minnesotans may get an extra kick out of reading it.
Bethany
Apr 02, 2014 Bethany rated it it was ok
I liked the almost poetic way story is told... But the story itself was lacking.... Kind of silly. My 11 yr old would have liked it but the sex stuff wasn't needed... If she was going for a younger age group
Natalya
Jun 06, 2010 Natalya rated it it was ok
Simple plot and a very strange style of writing. The storyline was okay but it was very predictable at times and that kind of ruined any excitement in guessing what is going to happen next.
Sam Dhillon
Jul 25, 2013 Sam Dhillon rated it really liked it
I read this book when I was younger and haha it was a good read. The story's a bit strange to read now that I am older however I would suggest it to any young adult.
Tasslyn Magnusson
Oct 13, 2014 Tasslyn Magnusson rated it really liked it
Sweet. Liked the descriptions of the girl - very realistic, between loving herself and not loving her body - the back and forth of teen age life.
Courtney
I'm pretty sure I've read this - the reviews are definitely ringing a bell. It's obviously not one that left a huge impression though.
Courtney
May 06, 2011 Courtney rated it really liked it
134 pages of effective language. Intimate with simple passion. I would reccomend this easy, captivating read to anyone.
Daryl
Sep 14, 2010 Daryl rated it liked it
This book provided an ample amount of entertainment. I give it 3 stars because the ending baffled me.
Jaclyn
Jul 06, 2011 Jaclyn rated it liked it
it was really cute but not one of my favs
Tahnia Dias
Tahnia Dias rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Destiny Armstrong
Destiny Armstrong rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Se Eun
Se Eun rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2011
BlackxCanary
BlackxCanary rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Betrayed (Fingerprints, #5)
  • Silver Eyes (Violet Eyes, #2)
  • I Need You (Elizabeth, #6)
  • Breakfast at Sadie's
  • Breaking Rank
  • For the Love of Venice
  • A Friend Called Anne
  • E.T.: The Book of the Green Planet: A Novel
  • Nothing Human
  • Bad
  • The Book of the Pearl (Samurai Girl, #3)
  • Hawkspar (Korre, #2)
  • Popular (Popular, #1)