Start by marking “The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)

The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings #3)

4.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  447,751 Ratings  ·  5,519 Reviews
The Companions of the Ring have become involved in separate adventures as the quest continues. Aragorn, revealed as the hidden heir of the ancient Kings of the West, joined with the Riders of Rohan against the forces of Isengard, and took part in the desperate victory of the Hornburg. Merry and Pippin, captured by Orcs, escaped into Fangorn Forest and there encountered the ...more
Published January 1st 1975 (first published October 20th 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Return of the King, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Yelp! Dear Linh,

Dear Linh,

I have a possible answer. Namely, in heroic literature, such as the Lord of the Rings, and in classic literature in general, authors always strive towards some kind of moral symmetry. Sins must be atoned for, and the proper form of atonement for the gravest sins is a hero's death. Boromir had to die for his sins, and (if you've read the Hobbit) so did Thorin Oakenshield.

Frodo committed serious sins by the end of the story, as the ring overpowered him and he coveted it for himself and himself alone. However, it seems that Tolkien could not simply kill him off. Not because he is the main protagonist, but because he is such an unlikely protagonist - a hobbit willing to go into the very mouths of hell to save his friends - and if in this he was overpowered - so what! So, we cannot just kill him off.

However, the "Undying Lands", while not death (in fact, the opposite) do represent a departure from this world. So, for Frodo the atonement is not merely complete, it is actually transformed in to a reward. He sinned, but the burden was not meant for him, and in taking it on voluntarily (and playing a large part in quite literally saving the world) he went farther than anyone could have expected. The departure must take place, that is the way of things, and the scales of justice must find balance in all things, but for Frodo, punishment is turned into reward - and this reward must be accepted, or the scales will not find their balance.

Please tell me what you think of this interpretation!

Yelp!(less)

mark monday

a rousing climax to the most ravishing love story of the modern age. tempestuous, tormented Frodo at long last learns to accept the love of his lifemate - the loyal and submissive Samwise Gamgee, bottom-extraordinaire. this is truly a tale of love's labour hard-won, and at such a cost! but love conquers all in the end, and even bitter, militantly hetero villain Sauron cannot stand in the heart's path for too long. in this third book of the torrid trilogy, Frodo's love-hate relationship with
Alejandro
The last stand for the control of Middle-Earth!

I WENT TO MIDDLE-EARTH AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CRUMMY RING

That’s the message in a t-shirt that I got in a tourism travel (and I still have it!). I thought that it was appropiate to begin my review about the third part and final of Lord of the Rings.

All that fuzz about a ring that can turn you invisible? You may think, but that was the least of its properties. Its major use was being able to control of the rest of ring-bearers with it, and if you
Stephen
***NEW LAWSUIT UPDATE BELOW (6-30-11)...Lone reviewer continues fight with corporate ASSCLOWNS powers in epic 1st Amendment battle royale.***

4.0 stars. FULL REVIEW (hopefully) to follow after resolution of the lawsuit* filed against this reviewer in the District Court of Narnia by, among others: 20th Century Fucks Fox, Lucasfilms, the Tolkien Estate and Robert Van Winkle (aka Vanilla AsshatIce) in order to prevent the release of an allegedly offensive but in reality just knee-slappingly funny PA
Jason Koivu
Apr 22, 2015 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, The Return of the King. The end of a sweeping epic, one which held me firmly in its grasp as a child and still holds a place in my heart as an adult.

Everything is in motion and actually coming to an end almost from the first page of this last book in the trilogy. Frodo is ever so close to completing his quest. Aragon, Gandalf and the others are nearly at the end of their rope. Indeed, the end is nigh!

But this is not a quick finish. Tolkien dragged things out. There is a mini-battle after th
Kane
Feb 09, 2011 Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Review of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, by Sauron

[Oprah Winfrey voice-over]: We all remember him. Sauron, the displaced Lord of the Rings. Once feared by millions, Sauron has been living in relative squalor in what he prefers to remain an undisclosed location.

[Video shows unidentified heap of garbage behind a Wal-mart. In front stands a mailbox with the word "Nameless Enemy" printed on the front. The flag is down.]

[applause]

Oprah: Today, we'll be joined by someone that many of you kn
K.D. Absolutely
Jun 15, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books; 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006-2010); TFG100 Most Favorite Books; Time 100; Metalist 100 by Newsweek; Guardian's 100
What else can I say? I enjoyed all these three books included in
The Lord of the Rings

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien (5 STARS), The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) by J.R.R. Tolkien (5 STARS) and now
The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) by J.R.R. Tolkien(5 STARS).

It has the most tight interesting plot, memorable characters and universal unending theme: the triumph of good over evil. In fact, in the closing scene of the book, Frodo gives the book he wrote to Sam, the world's greatest gardener. The title of the book is The Downfall of the Lord of the Rings and the Return of the King. The "lord" refers to the evil king Sauron
Liz
Is it even possible to review a legend? To write a review about a completely different and unique world?

It is not. It is just not possible.
Just imagine writing a review about our world, about all the countries and cities and cultures and all the wars. It would simply be too long and too difficult.

What I can say about this book is that the epic journey finally came to an end.
The Fellowship had to fight bloody, hopeless fights, it had to survive epic battles and it found friends where friends
J.G. Keely
Writers who inspire a genre are usually misunderstood. Tolkien's reasons for writing were completely unlike those of the authors he inspired. He didn't have an audience, a genre, and scores of contemporaries. There was a tradition of high adventure fairy tales, as represented by Eddison, Dunsany, Morris, MacDonald, Haggard, and Kipling, but this was only part of what inspired Tolkien.

His writing was chiefly influenced by his familiarity with the mythological traditions of the Norse and Welsh cul
Glenn Sumi
My First Journey Through Middle-earth Cometh To An End (a.k.a., Hey Folks, I Made It There And Back Again!)

Wow. I did it! I journeyed over some 1200 pages, met strange creatures, witnessed real magic, wept, gasped, laughed, moaned, yawned (occasionally), and by the end of it all felt as exhausted and grateful as Sam and Frodo dragging their precious, burdensome cargo to Mount Doom.

Herewith, as in my reviews of the two previous volumes, are some observations from someone a Tolkien novice. Please
Lyndz
Jul 18, 2012 Lyndz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witches-wizards

Well, there really IS no greater compliment...
Laz
Jan 28, 2015 Laz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: epic/high fantasy lovers
“What do you fear, lady?", Aragorn asked.
"A cage,", Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”

Writing this review I have a wild hunger to re-read this series again just to get to feel that excitement and the rush of emotions that these books instill in me.

The epic conclussion to it all. The war. The great fight. The way it all ends. The sacrifice. The obsession. The act of overcoming the inredible.
Roly Chuter
May 16, 2007 Roly Chuter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’m sure glad Stevie didn’t bother to read this one:
Sam and Frodo wake up in some swamp/heath/mountain pass
Frodo: We’re lost, oh its awful, I’m hungry, we only have 3 pieces of elfin bread left
Sam: Don’t worry Frodo I’m here for you, you have the bread
Sam and Frodo walk around a bit looking dirty and lost and miserable
Frodo: oh the ring, it’s so heavy, how will I cope?
Golem: Myyy presssciousss [and all that nonsense]
Sam: Don’t worry you have a nice sleep, things’ll look better in the morning you
Denisse
Feb 18, 2015 Denisse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any HIGH FANTASY fan. I mean REAL high fantasy fans
Recommended to Denisse by: the movie LOL
Shelves: best-adult-books
Everything that can be said about this has already been said. And yes, this book is by far one of the best things I’ve read, actually the trilogy in general is. A perfect conclusion, strong in its dialogues and confident in its story. Emotional, fast paced and intelligent.

photo tumblr_ngg4vgFWv21u5atmoo1_500_zps3e7mnsec.gif

¡un día de la espada, un día rojo, antes de que llegue el alba!

photo tumblr_neoxkaH62n1ru8yv8o3_500_zpsrtnh1wnk.gif

El trabajo de toda una vida concluye de manera perfecta. De verdad. El libro tiene una fluidez estupenda, a pesar de que cada personaje tiene su propósito part
Todd
Aug 27, 2007 Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
To me, the whole point of reading the first two books of LOTR is to get to this one, because this is the truly masterful part of the story.

One thing I will say is that I really admire how the main heroes of the story, Frodo and Sam, are quite inconsequential in the classic tradition of heroes. They can't fight, they can't cast spells, they can't really do anything except persevere through extreme trial, all so that they can do what they promised to do, to do the right thing. Sam, in particular,
Becky
I feel a little unfair giving this book only 3 stars, but that is what I feel it deserves if it is to be judged on its own. There's a lot of good stuff in here, but then there's a whole lot of draggy description and slow movement, and that somewhat overwhelms the book for me.

But hey, Arwen actually had a speaking role in this book, so maybe I should give the star back, eh? Nah. Just kidding. There were three different romance lines in this book, PLUS a love triangle... of sorts. It's lucky I do
Caris
Aug 20, 2010 Caris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
How I Spent My Summer Vacation
by: Caris “The O’Malley” O’Malley

This summer was really good. I got to do a lot of neat things. The best part of the whole summer was that I got to spend it with my new best friend Johnny. Johnny is my friend because he’s smart and he tells good stories and his mustash tickles. The stories he tells are filled with creatures and adventures, so they’re really good.

Johnny is really serious about his stories. Sometimes he gets really detailed about little things and I h
Vanessa
Dec 31, 2015 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-tbr
I did it! I finally finished The Lord of the Rings! This third part, The Return of the King, is probably my second favourite installment (my favourite being The Two Towers), but this was the first time I had read the book all the way through and I'm so happy that I finally did it because the journey was well worth it.

Overall I would rate The Lord of the Rings as a 4 out of 5, as there were definitely peaks and troughs throughout the reading of it. In TROTK, there was a lot to love - the continui
Franco  Santos
Jan 27, 2015 Franco Santos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Qué genialidad...

Excelente conclusión para la considerada por muchos la mejor saga de fantasía épica jamás escrita.

description

Me hace feliz que estés aquí conmigo. Aquí al final de todas las cosas, Sam.

Es mi favorito de la serie. Me resultó imposible soltar el libro.

No voy a decir mucho más, al igual que lo hice en la reseña de La Comunidad del Anillo. Ya saben lo que se habla y lo que se venera a El Señor de los Anillos. Sólo puedo decir que este tomo fue el mejor, a mi gusto. Triste, épico, con mucha a
Douglas Wilson
Oct 11, 2015 Douglas Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Not sure how many times I have enjoyed this trilogy, starting when I was in high school. Just finished it yet again. Just magnificent. I am thinking through a companion book to What I Learned in Narnia -- What I Learned in Middle Earth -- and so I wouldn't want to say too much about it here. But I will say two things. One is that I believe the color gray is mentioned about a hundred times more than all the other colors put together. And secondly, Tolkien is enough of a master to make going to He ...more
Jelena
Apr 26, 2016 Jelena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here we go, one last time. As the third and final instalment of “The Lord of the Rings”, “The Return of the King” is the end of a long and winding road, bringing closure to all of those who walked that path. Characters and readers alike.

All the grandeur and heroism is still there. So is all the dignity and loyalty. The White Rider in the Pelennor Fields. The uneasiness, the distubing murmur of the unseen in the Paths of the Dead. Taking up the part of a bait, if that only should aid the success
Tatiana
Aug 18, 2007 Tatiana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The more times I read The Lord of the Rings, the more I love it, and the more important it is for me. I first discovered it in college, starting with The Hobbit (which is my recommended starting point). I deeply love Tolkien, this world, this universe, the legends, the histories, the people, and the story. The Greeks said that everything was in Homer. If you studied Homer, all virtue and understanding, everything you needed to know was in there. I feel the same way about the Lord of the Rings.

Th
Rob
Executive Summary: The final book offers a richer conclusion than the movie. Does that really surprise anyone?

Audio book: Robert Inglis once again does a great job with the audio. I particularly like his voices for Gandalf and Gollum. I will definitely revist this series in audio again.

Full Review
And once again I've finished the epic journey of Frodo and the ring. This is probably less of a review and more of a reflection and contrast with the movies. Needless to say I still enjoyed this book.
Lotz
Feb 26, 2015 Lotz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1955, J.R.R. Tolkien wrote what was to become one of the defining texts of the political thriller genre. The Return of the King is a book so full to the brim with intrigue and machinations, that the reader is, more often than not, lost in a sea of lies. Tolkien creates an entire political world so realistic, that the reader often forgets that she is reading a work of fiction, and not a book of history about some faraway land in a long-ago time.

At first sight, Middle Earth seems to be a land o
أحمد
Dec 20, 2014 أحمد rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
اليوم أنهيت رحلة عام كامل مع قراءة ثلاثية سيد الخواتم. الحكاية التي لن يكتب مثلها أبدا.
أنقل هنا فقط عبارتين على لسان جاندالف:

هناك شرور أخرى قد تأتي، لأن ساورون نفسه ليس سوى خادم أو جاسوس أو تابع. ولكن التحكم في كل التيارات في العالم وتوجيهها ليس دورنا، ولكن دورنا هو أن نفعل ما هو بوسعنا لإنقاذ تلك السنين التي وضعنا فيها، نقتلع الشر من الحقول التي نعرفها ونجتثها، حتى يمكن لأولئك الذين يعيشون بعدنا أن ينعموا بأرض نظيفة طيبة يحرثونها. أما الطقس الذي سيكون لديهم فهذا ليس في مقدورنا أن نتحكم فيه.
. .
midnightfaerie
Apr 09, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
The Return of the King was by far the best Lord of the Rings yet. It made me cry several times and had some key elements to it that really made it the best and rounded out the series perfectly. First of all, we have my favorite part, when the hobbits come back to the Shire. They've been through so much and are hoping to rest but are sorely mistaken when they find their beloved Shire in ruins. Trees cut down, water polluted, homes destroyed, and basically a gang of ruffians has taken over. These ...more
Brian
2016 Review:

My heart feels hollow. This hurts. I'm not kidding. I love this world and these characters and especially my little buddies, the Hobbits. I kind of wonder if I'm normal. I feel I could cry.

Original Review:

This one has become my favorite in the series. It is the climax as well as the departing of those you have allowed a place in the heart. It is both riveting and saddening. It is riveting because the excitement comes to a head, emotions overpower the mind and heart, tears threaten to
Julie Davis
Feb 08, 2013 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What becomes very noticeable to me at this point, listening as opposed to reading, is the juxtaposition of the two kings and their hobbit observers. One has been brought back to himself after being under the Dark Lord's sway and the other is prideful and arrogant. It is a striking contrast.

Another thing is how touched I was by the description of those coming to the defense of Gondor, early after Gandalf and Pippin got there. They were the few, those coming out of common need to defend themselves
Jon
I've read and re-read The Lord of the Rings so many times. Why? Because it sings to my soul and sends it soaring.

This last volume, or last few books, of the epic tale of Middle Earth, has always been my favorite.

And it's the relationships and the struggles that appeal most - Frodo and Sam, Boromir and his father, Aragorn and Gandalf, Legolas and Gimli.

At the end of all things, even a perpetually optimistic Hobbit can be tempted, can fall, just like all of us fall short. Yet the sacrifice an
Kim
Mar 28, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook

I've just spent two months in Middle Earth, listening to audiobooks of The Hobbit and then each of the books in The Lord of the Rings trilogy, one after the other.

Last week, when I finished The Two Towers, I thought it would be my favourite novel of the trilogy. In any event, I knew that I liked it better than The Fellowship of the Ring, as it has more action and less talk about action. Now I think that this may be my favourite of the three books. I don't recall my attention flagging. Nor do I
Miquel Reina
In my opinion, the last book of the trilogy of The Lord of the Rings is the most special of them. "The Return of the King" is for me the most emotional and intense book of the three parts because of its greatest battles, its strongest climax and its dramatic endings. Tolkien managed to convey that feeling of victory and also defeat in this fantastic book ending that I'm not ashamed to say that it made me cry.

Spanish version:
En mi opinión, el último de los libros de la trilogía del señor de los
Why didn't Gandalf take the ring to Mount Doom on the back of an eagle. 287 2299 Apr 06, 2016 05:50PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 3 10 Mar 14, 2016 11:55AM
Goodreads Librari...: Tolkien quote correction 2 12 Jan 05, 2016 05:06PM
favourite book to movie 11 39 Dec 17, 2015 08:39AM
  • War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)
  • The Guns of Avalon (The Chronicles of Amber #2)
  • Guardians of the West (The Malloreon, #1)
  • Pani Jeziora (Saga o Wiedźminie, #7)
  • A Tolkien Bestiary
  • Phantastes
  • The Wandering Fire (The Fionavar Tapestry, #2)
  • The One Tree (The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, #2)
  • The Endless Knot (The Song of Albion, #3)
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain #4)
  • Ilse Witch (Voyage of the Jerle Shannara, #1)
  • To the Blight (The Eye of the World, #2)
  • The Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2)
  • The Bane of the Black Sword (The Elric Saga, #5)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • Thud! (Discworld, #34; City Watch #7)
  • Silverthorn (The Riftwar Saga, #3)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

The Lord of the Rings (3 books)
  • The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)

“I am glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam.” 2350 likes
“What do you fear, lady?" [Aragorn] asked.
"A cage," [Éowyn] said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
1781 likes