The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)

The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"Mystery fans should hope that This Dog for Hire is only the first of a large litter". -- John LutzCarol Lea Benjamin's second Rachel and Dash mystery, set again in New York's Greenwich Village, fulfills all the promise of the first. Hired to investigate the suicide of a young woman whose family needs to find some understanding of why their daughter died, Rachel not only m...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Walker & Company (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Dog Who Knew Too Much, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dog Who Knew Too Much

C.J. Prince
I picked up the first three books in this series at Half Price Books in Seattle, one of my favorite stops. The first book offered some character disappointments but in book two, I found P.I. Rachel Alexander had found her niche.

As she researches the murder of a dead woman, she assumes her identity, wearing her clothes, perfume, scarf and begins to study Tai Chi. She is an incredibly fast learner in the ancient Chinese martial art (my personal observation) and becomes the favored student as was...more
Roberta
Oddly reminds me of Agatha Cristie's Miss Marple books in the way that Miss Marple didn't really "detect" so much as she went around poking her nose into other people's business like picking at a scab until it starts bleeding. The other similarity is that in many Miss Marple books there are so many good suspects that I can't always remember a week later who ultimately turned out to be the murderer.

The gimmick in this series is that Rachel Alexander's assistant is Dash, an American pit bull. Wha...more
Jan C
I enjoy this series but the cut of the book was really irritating. I felt that there were bad margins and the print went too close to the edge of the page and I think some pages may have started to come loose. I know it is a paperback but still, there should be some standards.

Rachel uses her pit bull Dashiell in her private detective work. And I have to say I would like to see a pit bull (or any other dog, for that matter) bring me a Kleenex, a trick he repeatedly performs in this book.

Here, n...more
Phillis
This is book 2 in the Rachel Alexander and Dash Mysteries. I enjoyed the first one. I don't feel this was as good. But it is a second book and I won't judge the author yet. I still have a few more Rachel and Dash books to read. This storyline is about a well to do, have everything, and knows where she is going young woman who supposedly commits suicide by defenestration. Her family hire Rachel to find out what really happened. Racel litterally puts herself in the girls shoes to see if she really...more
Margaret
First time reading this series - not bad but not great, so not sure if I'd read any others. This detective's approach kind of seemed to be detection by becoming the murdered victim, which oddly others did not question. Found it unlikely that her dog would be so readily accepted everywhere although I thought his playful habit of pulling kleenexes out of the box was endearing (and helpful at one point to her). Kind of liked the somewhat mystical t'ai chi angle to the story.
Leslie Angel
fairly good, kept my interest. Dog appears but does not talk or solve the mystery. takes place in and around a tai chi center.
Teesa
Can't go wrong, a strong woman doing a man's job and a terrier, what's not to like.
Rosie
Love the story of a detective and a pit bull. Want to read more of this series.
Pam
Interesting twist at the end. Love the akitas and of course Dash is stellar.
Shawn Zegular
Great read I love how she uses a pitbull in her novels awsome
John Stewart
Good book if you like dogs and murder mysteries.
Helen
lots of suspects, kept tension well, good char.
Marianne McKiernan
I enjoy the Chet & Bernie mysteries.
Joan E
Joan E marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Gloria Pigue
Gloria Pigue marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Lynne
Lynne marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Sue
Sue added it
May 29, 2014
KH
KH added it
Aug 07, 2014
Rachel Starnes
Rachel Starnes marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
A noted dog trainer and former detective, Carol Lea Benjamin is the author of books on canine behavior and training as well as the Rachel Alexander and Dash mystery series. She has been honored by the International Association of Canine Professionals with her election to their Hall of Fame. Ms. Benjamin lives in Greenwich Village with her husband and their dogs.
More about Carol Lea Benjamin...
This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1) A Hell of a Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #3) The Wrong Dog (Rachel Alexander & Dash #5) Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog Lady Vanishes (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #4)