Start by marking “Heaven's Gate: Cult Suicide in San Diego” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Gate: Cult Suicide in San Diego

Heaven's Gate: Cult Suicide in San Diego

Published May 28th 1997 by Harpercollins (Mm) (first published May 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Gate

Evan
On cold March nights in early spring 1997 I would tramp into my yard and tilt my head directly skyward and stare a long time at the bright fuzzy space traveler known as Comet Hale-Bopp. It was the brightest and longest visible comet to be seen from my vantage point on Earth in my lifetime. Viewing it was a privilege, since it had not been in earth's neighborhood for 4,000 years and would not be back again for that same duration.

I could not have known at the time that across the country, in a pal
Lukas Szrot
Feb 25, 2014 Lukas Szrot rated it liked it
A quick, easy read, feeling rushed in its prose (and riddled with typographical errors) as though crafted in haste to meet a stringent deadline. I am fascinated by fringe religious movements and the exceptional power they can wield over often bright and creative if wayward people who simply find the existential burden of having lots of questions and few answers exasperating. I was moved by accounts of the individuals but many of the buzz words used were alternately callous and sensationalistic, ...more
that cute little red-eyed kitten
Not very well-written or insightful. Read it because the book was laying around and I vagely remember the story about that crazy cult which killed themselves as they believed in a spaceship behind the Hale-Bopp comet. Very tragic, of course, but to us youngsters back then, it was just riduculous, funny even. The book does tell the story, but tbh I found it boring. Maybe that's inevitable, since believing in anything even remotely like this is so alien (unintended pun) to me. On the upside, it ...more
A.r.
Jan 21, 2016 A.r. rated it really liked it
A facinating insight into the cult suicides of Heaven's Gate. This is a really good book, and pretty thorough in its evaluation of the cult in a not too judgemental way. The best part was learning about the history of the cult and how it evolved. I read this book straight though without being distracted, just because it was so absorbing.
David
Sep 11, 2009 David rated it it was ok
Really this book is just a broad overview of the incident and the events surrounding it. There was no real connection with the subjects, partially because of the derisive terminology used for the cult (UFO loonies, computer geeks). It did not seem very objective or insightful. An interesting read, but still rather hollow.
♥ Marlene♥
I did not think this book was too bad. There is only one review about it on amazon which gives it 2 stars. I can understand where they are coming from but if you do not know anything about this case it is not a bad read. I want to learn more though but I do not think there is another book about this case.

Weird that such intelligent people kill themselves thinking they will be on a spaceship.
Gabriel
Feb 25, 2010 Gabriel rated it liked it
Shelves: ndfim
Really, really horrid writing. Mixed metaphors, lapses in common sense, deeply flawed logic, lack of continuity: you know those people who don't read? They write like this.

But that's exactly why I wanted to read this. The book equivalent of the recent "Transformers," or maybe "Troll 2."
Mike Silva
Mike Silva rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Kat
Kat rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2009
Sausageclaire
Sausageclaire rated it really liked it
May 10, 2011
Shelly Smits
Shelly Smits rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2012
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
May 23, 2014
Arianna
Arianna rated it it was ok
May 19, 2015
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2015
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2015
AnnKristin
AnnKristin rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2011
Jolene.b
Jolene.b rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2008
Patricia Atkinson
Patricia Atkinson rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2011
Cher
Cher rated it it was ok
Jul 24, 2008
Shane
Shane rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Ann Beck
Ann Beck marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2010
Kristin Myrtle
Kristin Myrtle marked it as to-read
May 31, 2011
Bookworm
Bookworm marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2011
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2012
Adamandtara Haley
Adamandtara Haley marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Prema
Prema added it
Nov 05, 2014
Sherry
Sherry added it
Feb 14, 2015
Lolly
Lolly marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Adam Sprague
Adam Sprague marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Melissa M
Melissa M marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2016