Start by marking “Street Dreams” as Want to Read:
Street Dreams

Street Dreams

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  487 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Love, Betrayal and Loyalty on the Streets of Harlem

Daruis, a.k.a. Rio, the only child of a singer turned alcoholic, feels he has nothing to hold on to except the idea of escaping the ghetto. Years ago, he took a gun charge for a friend and did some prison time. Unable to find a job when he gets out, Rio turns to hustling as a way out. In the meantime, Rio finds escape in
Published September 1st 2004 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Street Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Street Dreams

Whore by Tanika LynchThe Bitch is Back by Deja KingUpgrade U by Ni-Ni SimoneNatural Born Hustler by Nikki TurnerThong on Fire by Noire
the darkest child
6th out of 21 books — 16 voters
Hood Rat by K'wanSection 8 by K'wanHarlem Girl Lost by Treasure E. BlueWelfare Wifeys by K'wanThe Dopeman's Wife by JaQuavis Coleman
Great Street/Urban lit
6th out of 30 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Loretta
With this being my first full-fledged introduction to the writing of K'wan, I chose to take my time in reading this novel.

Needless to say, it was well worth the wait.

K'wan takes you deep inside the streets featuring the lives of Darius "Rio" Santana, his lady Trinity and a cast of characters that are loyal, or so one thinks. Trying to find a legitimate job seemed to be a dead end for the smart man hustling drugs part time, until the opportunity of a lifetime lands in his lap.

Just when things loo
Julio Flores
Oct 18, 2007 Julio Flores is currently reading it
E-II
Julio C. Flores
Mr. Rossi
10-18-07
pgs. 0-50

Street Dreams should be read by every student who hates to read because it is a good book that most students would enjoy reading. The book deals with a lot of issues that young students are going thru in high school or been thru. Also it's a couple of students who are attending high school and the problems they face every day. Like an abusive father, suicide, murder, rape, drug dealing, but also it's about young adults trying to make it in life lookin
Melissa Sanchez
One of the first books I ever read. This book made me cry, it made me ball. Such a great touching lively fictional story that comes to mind when thinking of others. I love this book, something that a young MAN might enjoy.
Shell
Aug 01, 2009 Shell added it
I LOVE IT THE END HAD ME CRYIN
Eva Leger
Jan 21, 2010 Eva Leger rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ALL URBAN-FICTION FANS
Recommended to Eva by: bought @ B&N
Shelves: b-urban-fiction
Five stars all the way! I can't believe I've waited this long to read any of K'wan's books! K'wan is talented in a major way and he brings something to urban-fiction/street-lit which is missing in the majority of books today. I could really go on and on about this book but I'll keep it short. I loved the characters, most of the time the secondary characters aren't all that developed and aren't crucial to the story, they're sort of like extras in a movie. Well, not here. In Street Dreams, the sec ...more
Sheryl Boyce
I really liked this book. Rio and Trinity had a special love for one another. Even though he did things he called "just being a dude", he really loved Trinity and wanted no else. He had street swag and smarts but he wasn't really a bad boy. After doing a bid in prison, Rio wanted to do things on the up and up but the street life just sucked him in. Rio was straight up,fair dude who had dreams of having a better life with the love of his life. He was her knight and would do anything for her inclu ...more
Devonte
Mainly the book was about a girl name Trinity that lived in the streets of Harlem , and coming up she had a bad childhood which affected her adult life. Through that she had a boyfriend name Darius also known as Rio that grew up in the streets and dealt with the streets as well. So there was a lot of chaos knowing that her boyfriend was in the drug business. I think the book was really good. It made me think about a lot of things that go on in life, see things more clearer than before.I would t ...more
Eloisa
This book was a book that "punched me in the gut", I really liked it; and most of the time my schema relates to this book. This book is a number one reccomended book that I want many of my friends to read , and with no doubt will love it. Impactful scenes in this book had made me think twice, cry and laugh and when I read that book minutes flew by like seconds. This book had cliff hangers within everypaqe that made me want to skip through the book to see what happens.
Now, if I could just get paid for Reading...
So far the story aspect of the book is good but I am on page 82 and there have already been 4 Typos and a word not used correctly. The book is about 300 pages long so I am guessing I have about another 10 more Typos to look forward to... Okay so I finished reading the book. It turned out to be a great but sad story. The ending really got me, I figured the story would end the way it did but I still held hope for the Rio and Trinity. Overall, quick read full of action.
Twandra Williams
This was my first novel written by K'wan. I must say that I thorougly enjoyed it.
Chas
I have read three of his books so far. I have read Gangsta, Hood Rat, and Street Dreams. Of the three I have read Hood Rat was my first favorite, Gangsta was my next, and Street Dreams is last. Street Dreams is a well written book and yes I read the whole book, but it was just missing something to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but Street Dreams was a hard read.
Zainab Simone
I did notice a few typos, but overall it was a great read.
India Jones-tanner
OMG! This book was definitely a page turner. I truly was rooting for a happily ever after for Trinity and Rio after all the chaos they endured. The only downfall of the book was keeping track of way too many characters even though they kept the story line moving.
Shakeisha Williams
Ok... I dont know why this book was not really a thrill to me, seemed typical love turned tragic story. Loved Rio's character, but wish he could have done something with himself and Trinity as well, instead of being another disappointing hood story.
Yolanda Williams
I am now finished with this book. It was all that I expected it to be. The suspend was wonderful and the plot was indeed well put together. Thumbs up!
Jaynice
i lOve this book i couLd read this book over and over again. this book has street drama and i like to her a bout the tales of other peOple hoods
Rena
I Loved this book so much! It's like the hood version of Romeo and Juliet! I could definitely relate to this book a lot! It's a must read!
Jaynice
i reaD this bOOk in 2 days it was suCh a good bOOk i recomend this bOOk tO sOmebody whO likes thuG type Of bOOks
Lindsay Hunter
Definitely one of the best books I've ever read. It is very well-written and unforgettable.
Devonte Thomas
Sep 24, 2010 Devonte Thomas is currently reading it
So far theres nothing major going on in the book but its very dramatic because theres a lot of com
Lelia
Jul 28, 2011 Lelia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
I actually enjoyed it even with the horrible language, the explicit sex and the violence.
Zipporah
This book was excellent it was not really what I had expected it was GOOD!!
Linda Strickland

Must read his other books!!!!!!
Alicia
Jul 14, 2011 Alicia added it
Shelves: urban
Short on story and long on drama.
Jason Hooper
Sep 12, 2012 Jason Hooper rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all urban lit readers
A street lit classic
  • Hoodwinked
  • Tyce
  • The Hood Life
  • What's Really Hood!: A Collection of Tales from the Streets
In 2002 K'wan hit the scene with his debut novel Gangsta, under Triple Crown Publications. It was the first novel released by the budding house and would eventually become the building block for what is now a multimillion dollar company. What started as a therapeutic release went on to become a part of urban-lit history and an Essence bestseller, as well as drawing rave reviews overseas.
After pen