Start by marking “Face to Face With Gorillas” as Want to Read:
Face to Face With Gorillas

Face to Face With Gorillas

Deep in the jungle—you’re suddenly face to face with the great gorilla. It’s clear that even here, you are sharing a moment with one of man’s closest relatives. He’s staring at you with those eyes that look so...human. Experiences like this have made National Geographic photographer Nick Nichols a fierce advocate for conservation of shrinking wildlife habitats.
Published February 10th 2009 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Face to Face With Gorillas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face to Face With Gorillas

MissDziura
Michael Nichols’ book Face to Face With Gorillas, is a great resource for students of all ages, yet its intended audience is readers in grades 3-5. Not only is Nichols an expert in the field of gorillas, he also supplies an age-appropriate index, research notes, and glossary for readers. A Booklist review by Randall Enos explains further;
The back matter includes sections on how the reader can help, a challenge to develop an appropriate zoo habitat for gorillas, “facts-at-a-glance,” a brief gloss
Anna Shepstead
May 01, 2016 Anna Shepstead rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
I already love gorillas, but after reading this informational text, I felt like I understood them on a deeper level than I had before. The book told readers that gorillas are highly social creatures, and even related them back to humans, which I thought was important for children to see the relation between. Nichols discussed their behaviors, their vital role in their native habitats, dangers to the species, and other various facts on the amazing creatures. Additionally, the book had little fact ...more
Kelly
Apr 17, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it
This book is published by National Geographic with close-up and action photographs, a map, and a drawing. The map shows where the four types of gorillas range in Africa. There is a lot of good background information here about how the gorillas live, socialize, eat, play, and what diseases effect them. It also talks about the problem of poaching and habitat loss from logging. There is a growth in tourism to see the gorillas, and this has changed attitudes, but the rules for distance are not alway ...more
Michele Farmer
Spectacular full color photography in a beautiful National Geographic book provides a perfect venue for studying ecology, animals, and conservation. The text provides lots of facts presented in story form as well as in a "facts at a glance" section and a small glossary. It's especially nice that the author includes his own personal experiences with gorillas in the wild. The book is heavy on the importance of conservation and touches on evolution. Excellent classroom library resource for grade th ...more
Lauren Barone
The pictures in this book were absolutely incredible. Gorillas are such a fascinating animal and have so many human-like qualities. This book could be inspiring to a younger audience studying the wild animals of different habitats and their lives. I would use this in a lesson on the wildlife of the world and demonstrating the rewarding outcomes of supporting a great cause such as shrinking wildlife habitats.
Mrs Bond
May 21, 2011 Mrs Bond rated it liked it
Nichols speaks to readers through 1st person narrative about his experiences with gorillas. Along the way he shares facts and details, occasionally nudging the agenda of conservation and protection. Touches on the gorilla-human common ancestor theory. Many large photos throughout, helpful captions. Includes Facts at a Glance, Glossary, Index, list of additional resources, and Research & Photographic notes.
Katie Curry
Oct 31, 2011 Katie Curry rated it liked it
Shelves: informational
This book is all about gorillas. It gives numerous facts ranging from behavioral characteristics to life expectancy.
I would use this book in a science lesson discussing primates. I would also use this in a compare and contrast lesson discussing a gorilla's similar characteristics to a human.
Raina
Aug 12, 2009 Raina rated it it was ok
Shelves: j, nonfic
Cool pictures, but not quite as many as I would want. Not as much emphasis on the "Face to Face"ness as I would want. More emphasis on text about gorillas, especially conservation information. Which I'm all for, but there weren't as many hard facts as I expected.
Christopher
Jul 26, 2010 Christopher rated it liked it
I liked that this book was an intimate look into the lives of specific gorillas, rather than written generally. Highly informative.
Lindsey Lubker
This is a national geographic book. It makes you feel as if you are meeting a gorilla. It tells you all the details about gorillas.
Dee
May 03, 2013 Dee rated it it was amazing
National Geographic, what can I say.
Jordan arieno
Jan 21, 2010 Jordan arieno rated it it was amazing
This book is about a photogarapher that has grown up to take snap shots of gorillas. But these are rare gorillas there Silverback Gorillas.
Sarah Gioia
Sarah Gioia rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Leng
Leng rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Alexis Demaria
Oct 14, 2013 Alexis Demaria rated it really liked it
Shelves: ch-02-nsta
I love gorillas so I loved this book! Very interesting.
Bonnie Grover
Bonnie Grover rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
C. Gronewold
C. Gronewold rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2017
Robbie
Robbie rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2014
Bryanna D
Bryanna D rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2013
Bryan Clark
Bryan Clark rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Jayden Mahoney
Jayden Mahoney rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2016
Robert Farmer
Robert Farmer rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2016
Elias Crawford
Elias Crawford rated it did not like it
Dec 20, 2014
Jennifer Donahue
Jennifer Donahue rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Esutterlin
Esutterlin rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2011
Lucia
Oct 16, 2009 Lucia rated it it was amazing
Very cool!!!!
Daphney Riddle
Daphney Riddle rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Felicia
Felicia rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2011