Face to Face With Gorillas

Face to Face With Gorillas

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Deep in the jungle—you’re suddenly face to face with the great gorilla. It’s clear that even here, you are sharing a moment with one of man’s closest relatives. He’s staring at you with those eyes that look so...human. Experiences like this have made National Geographic photographer Nick Nichols a fierce advocate for conservation of shrinking wildlife habitats.
Published February 10th 2009 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Face to Face With Gorillas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face to Face With Gorillas

MissDziura
Michael Nichols’ book Face to Face With Gorillas, is a great resource for students of all ages, yet its intended audience is readers in grades 3-5. Not only is Nichols an expert in the field of gorillas, he also supplies an age-appropriate index, research notes, and glossary for readers. A Booklist review by Randall Enos explains further;
The back matter includes sections on how the reader can help, a challenge to develop an appropriate zoo habitat for gorillas, “facts-at-a-glance,” a brief gloss...more
Kelly Tromburg Frisk
This book is published by National Geographic with close-up and action photographs, a map, and a drawing. The map shows where the four types of gorillas range in Africa. There is a lot of good background information here about how the gorillas live, socialize, eat, play, and what diseases effect them. It also talks about the problem of poaching and habitat loss from logging. There is a growth in tourism to see the gorillas, and this has changed attitudes, but the rules for distance are not alway...more
Michele Farmer
Spectacular full color photography in a beautiful National Geographic book provides a perfect venue for studying ecology, animals, and conservation. The text provides lots of facts presented in story form as well as in a "facts at a glance" section and a small glossary. It's especially nice that the author includes his own personal experiences with gorillas in the wild. The book is heavy on the importance of conservation and touches on evolution. Excellent classroom library resource for grade th...more
Lauren Barone
The pictures in this book were absolutely incredible. Gorillas are such a fascinating animal and have so many human-like qualities. This book could be inspiring to a younger audience studying the wild animals of different habitats and their lives. I would use this in a lesson on the wildlife of the world and demonstrating the rewarding outcomes of supporting a great cause such as shrinking wildlife habitats.
Mrs Bond
Nichols speaks to readers through 1st person narrative about his experiences with gorillas. Along the way he shares facts and details, occasionally nudging the agenda of conservation and protection. Touches on the gorilla-human common ancestor theory. Many large photos throughout, helpful captions. Includes Facts at a Glance, Glossary, Index, list of additional resources, and Research & Photographic notes.
Katie Curry
This book is all about gorillas. It gives numerous facts ranging from behavioral characteristics to life expectancy.
I would use this book in a science lesson discussing primates. I would also use this in a compare and contrast lesson discussing a gorilla's similar characteristics to a human.
Raina
Aug 12, 2009 Raina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: j, nonfic
Cool pictures, but not quite as many as I would want. Not as much emphasis on the "Face to Face"ness as I would want. More emphasis on text about gorillas, especially conservation information. Which I'm all for, but there weren't as many hard facts as I expected.
Chris
I liked that this book was an intimate look into the lives of specific gorillas, rather than written generally. Highly informative.
Lindsey Lubker
This is a national geographic book. It makes you feel as if you are meeting a gorilla. It tells you all the details about gorillas.
Jordan arieno
This book is about a photogarapher that has grown up to take snap shots of gorillas. But these are rare gorillas there Silverback Gorillas.
Alexis Demaria
I love gorillas so I loved this book! Very interesting.
Dee
National Geographic, what can I say.
Lucia
Very cool!!!!
Kayla Aven
Kayla Aven marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Nefertiri Travis
Nefertiri Travis marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Tom
Tom added it
Aug 02, 2013
Brutal Kinship Michael Nichols: Earth to Sky--Among Africa's Elephants, a Species in Crisis The Great Apes: Between Two Worlds De Kwetsbare Natuur Keepers of the Kingdom: The New American Zoo