Start by marking “Quantum of Solace” as Want to Read:
Quantum of Solace

Quantum of Solace

Many of Ian Flemingas short stories have been the inspiration for the extremely successful James Bond film franchise, and included in this collection are such stories as "Octopussy, The Living Daylights," and "For Your Eyes Only," The title story, "Quantum of Solace," lends its name to the upcoming James Bond film, slated to release in Fall 2008. This collection will be pu ...more
Published 2008 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about Quantum of Solace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quantum of Solace

BrokenTune
Apr 12, 2014 BrokenTune rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Review first posted on BookLikes: http://brokentune.booklikes.com/post/...

I picked up a bunch of James Bond books from a second-hand bookstore a few years ago, and as some of you may have noticed, I am reading my way through them.

When I picked up the books I knew all of the films - probably better than anyone really should - but I did not know much about Fleming's writing or the stories that underpinned the movie plots.

Because of that, I was unaware that Quantum of Solace is basically a re-issu
T.E. Grau
May 07, 2015 T.E. Grau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this my first experience with the writing of Ian Fleming, I loved these shorter glimpses into the work-a-day life of James Bond, and was struck by a) Fleming's sexism, and to a lesser extent, his racism/xenophobia, b) Fleming's opinion of Americans and America (which was quite amusing), and c) the stoic, sociopathic nature of Bond, who - for the most part - does what he's told and kills who he must by order of his employer, without a lot of the soapy romance and sometimes silly gadgetry of th ...more
Hana
Sep 23, 2016 Hana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was really interesting, now that I've seen some of the Bond movies (Pierce Brosnan & Daniel Craig's versions) to come across the books they were adapted from.

I like reading books with characters that I've previously known.

I only read Quantum of Solace from this anthology and it was odd to me that I expected an action packed piece of writing. On the contrary, it was merely a retelling of another character's story from which we perceive a certain moral: offering an amount of comfort can pay
Nisar Masoom
Jul 02, 2015 Nisar Masoom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of Ian Fleming ever since reading his Bond novel The Spy Who Loved Me. I found it brilliantly written and before Quantum of Solace I finished You Only Live Twice, and found it one of the most mediocre spy thrillers I've ever read.

I was hesitant of reading Quantum of Solace due to the boredom I endured with You Only Live Twice. But my excitement rekindled when I ended the second tale titled For Your Eyes Only. And it flourished with Fleming's wit combined with the adventurism Jam
Alice
Dec 30, 2015 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spies, 1960s, bond
The complete James Bond short stories, usually published in the volumes For Your Eyes Only and Octopussy and The Living Daylights, collected by Penguin under a new title to tie in with the 2008 film.

Several of these stories represent Ian Fleming using Bond as a vehicle for the more literary, social commentary tales he wanted to tell, which, on the whole, doesn't work brilliantly. There is some fine writing here, though, particularly in the atmospheric 'From a View to a Kill'.

The collection als
Catherine
Sep 27, 2011 Catherine rated it really liked it
What a fun little book! It has the expected thrills, foreign travel, high class living, and touches of misogyny one might expect from a collection of stories about James Bond. The real pleasure, however, is in overhearing Bond's thoughts when he is alone: his romantic fantasies, his unease about taking human life, his love of highly specific luxury products, and his nostalgic daydreams about the perfect day in a given city.
Interesting to note: the title story has absolutely nothing to do with th
Fran
Apr 19, 2011 Fran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-books, p-books
This sat on my 'reading' shelf for months, simply because I had a break from Bond reading and '007 in New York' was the only short that I hadn't read. Well, now I have, finally. There are some real crackers in the Bond shorts. Particularly enjoyed 'Quantum of Solace', in part because it's just Bond listening to a story and then going to bed which is the furthest one could ever get from a Bond film!
Joseph Rogers
Joseph Rogers rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2016
Matthew Barnes
Enjoyable collection, but nothing special.
Simon
Simon rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2015
Chip Cox
Chip Cox rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Alison Gains
Alison Gains rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2016
Josh Matteson
Josh Matteson rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Gemma
Gemma rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2011
Victoria
Not usually much of a fan of short stories, but these were very exciting. Varied too.
Manzoor Elahi
Manzoor Elahi rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2014
Eric Brasley
Eric Brasley rated it it was ok
May 19, 2016
Roman
Roman rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Kaia
Kaia rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2009
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Jennifer Kay
Jennifer Kay rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Steve Stratton
Steve Stratton rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Paul Vittay
Paul Vittay rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Ann Parker
Ann Parker rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2017
Nuveshen Naidoo
Nuveshen Naidoo rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
David Harold
David Harold rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Shankar
Shankar rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Charlie Wybierala
Charlie Wybierala rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2014
Adrian Chester
Adrian Chester rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Ian Lancaster Fleming was a British author, journalist and Second World War Navy Commander. Fleming is best remembered for creating the character of James Bond and chronicling his adventures in twelve novels and nine short stories. Additionally, Fleming wrote the children's story Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and two
More about Ian Fleming...