Start by marking “The Littles” as Want to Read:
The Littles

The Littles (The Littles #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,308 Ratings  ·  205 Reviews

Published January 1st 1993 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1967)

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
423rd out of 3,454 books — 6,499 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Must-Have Series for Children Ages 6 to 12
140th out of 590 books — 1,186 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara Hannon
Dec 05, 2011 Sara Hannon added it
Shelves: fantasy
1. Fantasy

2. When the family they live with goes on vacation, the Littles, tiny people with tails, have the adventure of a lifetime when a new family moves in for a few months. This new family brings mice and then a cat to give the Littles more than they have ever had to deal with before.

3. This is a well-written children's book. It is written on such a great level for young readers. The wording is clear, the story is adventurous, and the large type is offset by cute little illustrations. Unlik
midnightfaerie
Jul 22, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
We read over half of this and then just got plain bored. It started out good, but I think there were too many characters too fast and it got confusing for both myself and my 5 yr old. We tried to finish it, but in the end, we thought our time could be put to better use and so picked up the next book in the Chronicles of Narnia series we were also reading. What a difference when a child is engaged. Don't think we'll finish this.
Wendi
Jan 04, 2011 Wendi rated it it was amazing
I love all of the Littles books. I read them when I was in grade school. I even thought that maybe the Littles lived in my basement.
Miss Smith's Class
Nov 13, 2014 Miss Smith's Class rated it it was amazing
If you want to read an exciting book, this one is for you! We read it as a second grade class. Some of our favorite parts are when Lucy saves the day, when the Little's are scared of the mice, taming the cat, and many others! It is full of adventure, excitement, and has some funny parts. We definitely recommend this book to other second graders or anyone who wants to read a good book.
Candi
Mar 31, 2016 Candi rated it really liked it
Just started reading this series with my son. I thought it was appropriate since I'm always calling my kids "The Littles". I think it's super cute and interesting, a bit like Stuart Little (which came way later). When I asked my son what he would rate it (between 1 and 5), he said "Six, for epic." Love the enthusiasm. :-)
Jodi
Nov 30, 2008 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jodi by: Gram Henige
Kristine Hansen
Jul 15, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, chapter-book
My first introduction to The Littles was on Saturday morning when I was a child and they used to have these specials on TV that featured some sort of book or another. I remember the delight with which I found and devoured the first book.

I wasn't sure how the series would hold up with me now, 30 years later. But it does. I still love The Littles and as always am fascinated by their adventures, but even more by the way they live inside the walls. There was a time I was POSITIVE little people lived
Candice Snow
Apr 22, 2015 Candice Snow rated it liked it
This one is difficult to rate because I'm not 100% sure if I would have enjoyed it as a child. It wasn't very interesting or fast paced, which is a big no-no when your book is less than 80 pages and half of the pages are illustrations.

The story follows a family of tiny individuals called The Littles. These people are not human--not only because of their small size, but also because they have mouse-like tails. It's sort of like Steward Little gone wrong. These little people steal things from the
Becky
Sep 25, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
This is basically an easier version of the Borrowers. It's super cute, but it has this weird definition of "people" that I'm a little leery of. Basically the defining factor of what makes someone a person is the ability to speak. Just because the Littles have tails does not make them beasts (the actual word used) because they can talk. That's how the cat recognizes them as people and not food.
I know what you're thinking! I hear you saying, "So what, Becky? This is a children's book and you read
Cason
Jan 24, 2014 Cason rated it it was amazing
I loved the I liked when Tom tied the yarn ball to the cat and sat on the cat!
HeavyReader
Jul 04, 2007 HeavyReader rated it really liked it
When I was a kid, I really wanted to believe that tiny little people lived in the walls of my house and took little things from me and my family to furnish their home. Alas, it was all just fiction.
Brooklyn Schamens
In middle school I remember reading some of The Littles books, and I really enjoyed them. I think they are a unique series of books. This book was about The Littles, a very, very small human family about the size of mice and their life living inside of The Biggs, a normal sized human family house. The Littles encounter many obstacles of how to provide for their own family, but also how to keep away enemies such as mice and the house cat. The book ends on a good note where The Littles become good ...more
Laura Verret
The Littles are rather nervous. All of their lives they’ve lived inside the walls of Mr. and Mrs. Biggs’ home, and it’s been fairly safe – sure, they’ve had to worry about being spotted on their quick dashes to gather food off of the dining room floor, but they no longer have to worry about being attacked by mice. But this is different – now the Biggs are going away for an entire three months and letting the house out to strangers! Will the Littles be discovered?

Discussion.

It’s rather funny read
M
May 29, 2016 M rated it liked it
Oh, I don't know--

This was fine, and I didn't read it when I was a kid that I can remember, so I have no special attachment to it, but I felt like it was sort of dull--I wanted magic. I'd just read her Charlotte's Web--our first book with chapters out loud, and she's only five, so I picked something small that involved animals.

I'll probably bring our copy in to school and add it to the library. I want our home library to be as streamlined and tight as possible, which is tricky given our overabun
Maria Jo
Feb 08, 2015 Maria Jo rated it really liked it
The Littles

"The Littles is a timeless favorite that's been enjoyed for decades. Ready to grab the attention of a new generation, fresh cover art brings an updated look to this classic series.

Meet the Littles, a family like any other but with a few tiny differences! They live in the walls of the Bigg family house where they get everything they need. In return they make sure the Bigg house is always in good repair.
When the Biggs go away for the summer the Newcombs come to stay in their house. And
Scott Houston
I have read this book with my third graders and we have completed some comprehensive discussions and questions over the first dozen chapters. My cooperating teacher had the entire class read this book together, and I believe that by the time they are finished the first half of the school year will be over or the children will lose interest. This is a good story, and I think it is good for children to make connections with how they would relate to the characters if they were tiny as well. However ...more
Maggie
Mar 31, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it
I loved this series as a kid and while it has withstood the test of time, there is so much more children's literature to choose from these days. Several elements of the story line can be confusing for younger readers and may require pre-teaching--the fact that the Littles live in the walls, why the Biggs rent their house temporarily to the Newcombs, stories of the Mice Invasion of '35, etc. A good choice for transitional readers with some longer chapter book experience under their belts.
Ebookwormy
Mar 09, 2013 Ebookwormy rated it really liked it
#1 of the Littles series, this is the one book I wanted to make sure to buy. It introduces "the Littles", "the Biggs" and "the Newcombs" with a clever tongue in cheek lightness that makes the books fun for adults as well as little readers.

What makes them fun for kids are simple adventure stories that feature concrete explanations of the ways the Little's have adapted every day materials to their tiny uses. These adaptations allow them to live a life similar to "the Biggs" while preventing their
Caleb
Feb 03, 2015 Caleb rated it it was amazing
I liked it. These new people come when the Biggs go on vacation for 3 months and they make a mess. Then mice come. The Littles can't defend themselves from mice so they need the new people to set traps. But the people can't see the mice. So Tom dresses up like a mouse and runs across the floor so they can see a mouse. Then they get a cat instead of traps and a cat is even worse than mice. Then Tom tames it by talking to it.
Julia Buffington
This book is one of many that introduce you to the Littles. They are a small family that live inside the walls of the Biggs' house. Throughout the book, there are many turn of events and trouble seems to show up everywhere. Tom and Lucy have to try to save the day. These books are great starter books to chapter books. They also trigger kids imagination which is very important. Good read.
Amy Clinton
Dec 05, 2013 Amy Clinton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 642
Summary:
A fictional story about a family of tiny people with tails who live in the walls like mice. They live in the house with the Big family, one that is clean and neat. But then a messy family moves in and attracks mice which through the balance off. The tiny people have to find out how to clean up this mess while protecting themselves against the mice and cats.

Personal Response:
Super cute childrens book. Very imaginative and it allows the reader to see how messes need to be cleaned up becaus
Mary Lou
Sep 11, 2015 Mary Lou rated it really liked it
Read this one as a child. I'm giving it four stars because of the feeling it left me with from that time. If I read it as an adult, I may change the stars up or down. But I hesitate re-reading it, because I like the feeling it gave me through child's eyes, and somehow I don't want to ruin that.
Jen Bojkov
I was kind of dreading this one- it seemed old-fashioned and maybe out-dated at first, but I ended up liking it a lot. Good storytelling at heart- nothing too complicated. I think most kids will like the idea of little people living in their walls! Good for both boys and girls.
Kelsey
Jul 04, 2015 Kelsey rated it really liked it
This was really a quick and adorable read. The little's are well... a little family all about six inches in height. It is a short read and I remember reading it and loving it when I was younger. I'd recommend it to younger children rather it is an easy read for them or a bed time story.
Ricci
May 23, 2014 Ricci rated it it was amazing
Read this one out loud to the kids. It was a good and engaging story. I remember these books from when I as kid and I really liked them. It's about a family of tiny people with tails, who live in the walls of a house owned by normal sized people.
Jun 20, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Read this whole series (13 books) out loud to 6.5yo. She loved them. I enjoyed them, too, actually. They were perfect for imaginative kids. Just enough adventure and not too much scariness. Although gender roles are somewhat dated, there are strong, smart characters of all ages and both sexes. I liked the inter-generational relationships. Plus, they essentially homeschool (brought to forefront mostly in "The Littles Go to School").

I could definitely have done without the Terrible Kid (of course
Jayna
Feb 29, 2016 Jayna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun, children-s-lit
I loved the Little Apple books when I was a kid, and it was wonderful to read this story with my son. The pacing is a bit fast, but in children's lit that can be common. I think that it is a fun read to encourage early literacy.
Joy
Nov 24, 2015 Joy rated it really liked it
I love children's books. These little people are quite creative in dealing with the new cat in the house. My favorite part of the book was the interactions between the family members -- so kind and patient with each other.
Shannon Smith
Jul 22, 2015 Shannon Smith rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading this to my 6, 4 & 2 year old. It was perfect! It captivated the 4 year old, but had enough mild action/peril to entertain my oldest and a simple enough storyline for my youngest to follow along happily.
Britny Ohliger
Dec 04, 2013 Britny Ohliger rated it really liked it
Shelves: libs-642
This is the story of a family, the Littles. They are just like everyone else except they are 6 inches tall. They live in a big house (the Bigg's house to be specific and within the walls!) and have everything they need. In exchange for living there, the family fixes up the house, making sure to keep up with repairs. Just when things seemed to be going right, the Biggs leave on summer vacation and the Newcombs come stay to visit. Their mess attracts a dangerous enemy to the Littles; mice! As if i ...more
  • The Paint Brush Kid
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Prairie School
  • Third-Grade Detectives #1-2: The Clue of the Left-Handed Envelope & The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief
  • Tornado
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • Jake Drake, Bully Buster
  • Nate the Great
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Flat Stanley (Flat Stanley, #1)

The Littles (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Littles Take A Trip