Start by marking “The Collected Stories of Jack Schaefer” as Want to Read:
The Collected Stories of Jack Schaefer

The Collected Stories of Jack Schaefer

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Hardcover, 1st U.S. Edition, 520 pages
Published May 1st 1966 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Stories of Jack Schaefer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Stories of Jack Schaefer

The Bone Feud by Wynne McLaughlinDeadman's Fury by Linell JeppsenEye For Eye by L.J. MartinMorgan by Frank RoderusThe Devils Gunslinger by Chet Cunningham
Best Western Historical Fiction
59th out of 72 books — 44 voters
Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthyThe Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWittLonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryAll the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthyTrue Grit by Charles Portis
Literary Westerns
107th out of 120 books — 202 voters

More lists with this book...

Schaefer deserves recognition for much beyond Shane. Some wonderful story telling. Will be rereading sometime soon.

Here the Kirkus review

In antiquity and among primitive peoples the storyteller enjoyed a unique role and had to live up to a heavy responsibility. He had to celebrate heroes (try Schaefer's story Jeremy Rodock), teach essential lessons (try Hugo Kertchak, Builder) provide emotional/sentimental release (try Stubby Pringle's Christmas), add to the historical record (try--
Published in 1966, this volume is comprised of a series of indelibly etched character studies of men and women living in the cattle raising parts of the west in the late 1800s. Like a fine brandy, these stories are to be savored rather than rushed. I had completed about half of them when the library demanded the book be returned. I will lay low for a time, and then check it out again.
Jack Schaefer is a Western writer and is the author of the book Shane. My favorite story is still "Nate Bartlett's Store". I enjoy his humor.
I really liked most of these stories. Others I wouldn't recommend - or once was enough. He is a fantastic writer/story teller.
One of the best collections of short stories I own. I recommend this to everyone. :)
Betsy marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2015
Vernill Flanders Marrast
Vernill Flanders Marrast marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Aleem marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Iwik Pásková
Iwik Pásková marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Terry Renee
Terry Renee marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Wallis marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Alisa marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Stephen.w.brandt marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
David Graham
David Graham marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Laurel marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Lauren Ostermann
Lauren Ostermann marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Josh marked it as to-read
May 10, 2013
Karl marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2013
Schaefer was born in Cleveland, Ohio, the son of an attorney. He graduated from Oberlin College in 1929 with a major in English. He attended graduate school at Columbia University from 1929-30, but left without completing his Master of Arts degree. He then went to work for the United Press. In his long career as a journalist, he would hold editorial positions at many eastern publications.

More about Jack Schaefer...