Saving Cascadia

Saving Cascadia

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A seismologist's warnings that a Pacific island targeted for resort development will be destroyed in an earthquake are disregarded in the wake of an ambitious builder's plans to make millions through a new casino and hotel.
Published February 22nd 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published February 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Saving Cascadia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saving Cascadia

Kristin Lundgren
This is classic Nance - good solid thriller, clean cut, with no high body count. This one involves a fault line in Washington State, a zone of quietude (no action at all), and pressure building up from the plates moving, along with some geological problems beneath the island itself. Despite the warnings from an eminent seismologist, an engineering firm certifies the island as sound, and a developer builds a big casino complex on the island along with a convention center and hotel. But as warned,...more
Maddy
RATING: 3.75

Cascadia Island was formed off the coast of the state of Washington through earthquakes on the Pacific Ocean floor pushing rock upward. Mick Walker, luxury resort builder, has spent hundreds of millions of dollars to transform the sparsely inhabited island into a high roller destination. Prior to the construction, he hired an engineering group to do studies to ensure that the resort would be safe. However, despite their clearance, US Geological Survey seismologist Doug Lam is convinc...more
Lianne Burwell
Saving Cascadia turned out to be a huge disappointment. The cover promises 'a nail-biter' and 'a thrill a minute'. Unfortunately, it was anything but. Instead it read like a reject from the SyFy Saturday B-Movie line (the one that brought us such gems as Sharktopus and 2012: Ice Age). I was especially disappointed after reading the non-fiction book, Cascadia's Fault.

Let's see. We have the maverick seismologist with a theory no one believes. We have the helicopter pilot girlfriend who has problem...more
So, I Read This Book Today
With Saving Cascadia, Mr. Nance shows once again his expertise all things technical. He has expanded his world, and his expertise, beyond his avionic specialty, and it is a new and refreshing side to his writing that kept me awake and reading well into the night. In this novel, we move into the world of geological phenomena, and as always, Mr. Nance has written in an incredibly educated and precise manner, with a clarity that even the least 'geologically knowledgeable' can easily comprehend.

As a...more
Ashley H
my boyfriend asked me to read this so we'd have a book to discuss (he loves the action/michael crighton/sci-fi genre)...and it's just not my type of book. i mean, i actually like michael crighton--very entertaining, interesting on many different levels, smart and multi-dimensional. however, i think john nance is a very shallow writer, with little creativity or insight to offer his reader. all of his characters are stereotypes (midlife crisis guy, sexy/independent young careerwoman, geeky asian s...more
Stacy
This was a good story, but very detailed and involved. While I admire the research that goes into a plot like this, I don't like to get bogged down in the details. This is my first Nance book, but he reminds me of Ludlum - very long winded and detailed on things that I'd just as soon have a brief overview of. In this case, geology and seismology. While interesting, it was more info than I wanted in a book. Still, a good book with a good plot and characters. I'll give another of his a try, but no...more
Batgirl13
Fun audio book. It was an exciting story that also brought in a lot of geology in the Pacific Northwest. :)
Kristal Cooper

Wow! This is a "page-turner". I'm currently living in Port Angeles WA, right in the middle of the action, but I think I would have appreciated this book anyway. Quite a thriller! I liked everything about it, especially the fact that the story was told from like 20 different perspectives, giving added depth and a great pace to the book. (I can just imagine my high school English teacher's head exploding and that makes me love this author even more!)

Bill
I barely finished this silly thriller. The technology is more overwrought than usual, as are the characters and situations. The helicopter descriptions are repetitive (how many times do I need to read/hear 'collective'). And the twist is too easy to see coming.

On top of all that, I was listening to the author read their own work in an audio edition, which was not successful here.
Wayne
Apart from a few helicopters, not much aviation content. Interesting fictional story however, dealing with the ever-present danger of a major earthquake in the Pacific Northwest where I live.
Ryan
I thought the overall story was interesting and at times found it quite the page turner...however...I also felt myself drifting away at certain points as I found it somewhat repetitive.
Tiffany
Jun 13, 2007 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is the third book by John Nance that I've read, and so far I've loved them all. Its an exciting and wild ride right from the beginning. I loved it!
William
A real pot-boiler thriller by Nance combines seismology with a disaster scenario. The sort of book that you can't put down, and I enjoyed it.
Andrea Kepner
Like Orbit, Nance should stick to true aviation thrillers. Sure this had planes and helicopters but it just wasn't that interesting.
Adam
I couldn't put this one down. High tech without all the "techno jargon" and high speed; all wrapped in a really cool story.
Lynn Schmitz
could not put this book down! really good read couldn't wait till then end to see what happened.
Barbara
Weaving his usual web of strong characters and cultural influences, this was a great read.
Jen
No great literary value here, but I totally enjoyed it!
Maggie
Mindless, harmless. Good for night duty, or airports.
Crafty4life
Excellent read--will read more by this author!
Teri
Pretty good but the characters were sort of weak.
Melody
Scientifically interesting, plot was predictable.
Nancy (Colorado)
A little out there
Patty
Oct 02, 2007 Patty rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: aviation enthusiasts
Excellent
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
John J. Nance is an American pilot, aviation safety expert, and author. He served in the USAF during the Vietnam War and also as a Lt. Colonel in Operation Desert Storm.
More about John J. Nance...
Pandora's Clock Orbit Blackout Turbulence Medusa's Child