Start by marking “Sins of the Son” as Want to Read:
Sins of the Son

Sins of the Son

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  10 reviews
An acclaimed true-crime author takes on his toughest project of all-- writing about a murderer who happens to be his son.

When a hideous murder makes the headlines, a barrage of questions usually appears in its wake: Why did this happen? Could it have been prevented? What kind of family was the criminal from? Are his parents in some way to blame? Any crime writer worth his
Published June 15th 2000 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published July 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sins of the Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sins of the Son

Jim Thomsen
Wow. Books like "Sins Of The Son" show how cheek-by-jowl we all live with murderous violence in the world. And being a good parent, or at least a well-meaning ones, makes one no less vulnerable to monsters that live just without — or within.

Carlton Stowers, already a first-rate true-crime author, had to learn this the hard way. By no means a perfect parent, he nonetheless tried his best to correct the sudden wrong turn his son Anson made in his early teens — and got nowhere with it. Now, Anson
Sandy
Dec 26, 2009 Sandy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: True Crime Readers
Carlton Stowers wrote this nook about his son. It was a very well written book. His son Anson started using drugs at an early age. After that, Anson just never seemed to be able to get it together again. He was in and out of prison, then one day, while strung out on Meth he killed his wife by beating her and forcing an ice pick through her ear.

It tells how frustrating things we have no control over can be. A toubhing story of someone on the "other" side.
Bella
Very sad story that Carlton Stowers lived and then wrote about. At the Texas Book Festival I had the honor to ask him personally about his emotions and experience writing this book and after he gave me an honest, heartfelt response he thanked me for asking him.
Donna Humble
An interesting book written by the father of the killer. This book gives an inside view of parents pain and attempts to understand the person their son has become.
Tiffany Delahunt
Wow Carlton. I am sorry you had to live through this and filled with admiration that you had the grace and talent to write such an amazing account. Sometimes it's the writing that spellbinds me. Sometimes it's the story. In a few rare cases (this book, The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule, Papillon by Henri Charriere) it is both.
Andy
A good book from a celebrated Dallas true-crime author about the true story of his son's addiction to meth and spiral into ever-worsening criminal acts, with trips in and out of the Texas prison system. The book culminates with his son murdering his ex-wife and being imprisoned yet again.
Lori Gottshalk
I admire the author for writing this book. He did so with clarity and honesty. It could not have been easy.
Tina
A book about a father coming to terms with finding out his son is a murderer. Great book! True story!
Rhonda O'meilia
This happened a little to close to home for my tastes. Disturbing!
Kylie
This is a sad story.
Kathleen Bennet
Kathleen Bennet marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Cheryl Chilipka
Cheryl Chilipka marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Jackie Kerkhoff burdette
Jackie Kerkhoff burdette marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Kathy
Kathy added it
May 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Careless Whispers To the Last Breath Scream at the Sky: Five Texas Murders and One Man's Crusade for Justice Open Secrets Innocence Lost