Start by marking “Sins of the Son” as Want to Read:
Sins of the Son

Sins of the Son

An acclaimed true-crime author takes on his toughest project of all-- writing about a murderer who happens to be his son.

When a hideous murder makes the headlines, a barrage of questions usually appears in its wake: Why did this happen? Could it have been prevented? What kind of family was the criminal from? Are his parents in some way to blame? Any crime writer worth his
Published June 15th 2000 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published July 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sins of the Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sins of the Son

Jennifer Siddiqui
Sep 29, 2015 Jennifer Siddiqui rated it really liked it
This book kept me engaged the whole time I was reading it. The book was written by the father of a convicted killer who slipped into a downward spiral of drugs, stealing and petty crimes which eventually to a long prison sentence. Throughout the story, the author wrote about how it personally affected his life which made the story very interesting. I also liked how the father-son relationship developed throughout the story.
Jim Thomsen
Jul 03, 2010 Jim Thomsen rated it really liked it
Wow. Books like "Sins Of The Son" show how cheek-by-jowl we all live with murderous violence in the world. And being a good parent, or at least a well-meaning ones, makes one no less vulnerable to monsters that live just without — or within.

Carlton Stowers, already a first-rate true-crime author, had to learn this the hard way. By no means a perfect parent, he nonetheless tried his best to correct the sudden wrong turn his son Anson made in his early teens — and got nowhere with it. Now, Anson
Dec 26, 2009 Sandy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: True Crime Readers
Carlton Stowers wrote this nook about his son. It was a very well written book. His son Anson started using drugs at an early age. After that, Anson just never seemed to be able to get it together again. He was in and out of prison, then one day, while strung out on Meth he killed his wife by beating her and forcing an ice pick through her ear.

It tells how frustrating things we have no control over can be. A toubhing story of someone on the "other" side.
Dec 03, 2008 Bella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: true-crime
Very sad story that Carlton Stowers lived and then wrote about. At the Texas Book Festival I had the honor to ask him personally about his emotions and experience writing this book and after he gave me an honest, heartfelt response he thanked me for asking him.
Feb 15, 2015 Kirk rated it it was amazing
Growing up in Dallas Stowers has always been a familiar person, whether sports writing or his True Crime books. But this is the most impressive work of his I have ever read. I can not imagine how difficult it was for him to relive this episode of his life. I struggled to put it down.
Donna Humble
Nov 28, 2014 Donna Humble rated it really liked it
An interesting book written by the father of the killer. This book gives an inside view of parents pain and attempts to understand the person their son has become.
Tiffany Delahunt
Sep 04, 2013 Tiffany Delahunt rated it it was amazing
Wow Carlton. I am sorry you had to live through this and filled with admiration that you had the grace and talent to write such an amazing account. Sometimes it's the writing that spellbinds me. Sometimes it's the story. In a few rare cases (this book, The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule, Papillon by Henri Charriere) it is both.
Mar 10, 2008 Andy rated it liked it
A good book from a celebrated Dallas true-crime author about the true story of his son's addiction to meth and spiral into ever-worsening criminal acts, with trips in and out of the Texas prison system. The book culminates with his son murdering his ex-wife and being imprisoned yet again.
Lori Gottshalk
Sep 29, 2013 Lori Gottshalk rated it really liked it
I admire the author for writing this book. He did so with clarity and honesty. It could not have been easy.
Jun 14, 2007 Tina rated it really liked it
A book about a father coming to terms with finding out his son is a murderer. Great book! True story!
Rhonda O'meilia
Jan 11, 2013 Rhonda O'meilia rated it really liked it
This happened a little to close to home for my tastes. Disturbing!
Mar 14, 2012 Kylie rated it it was ok
This is a sad story.
Sharon marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Michelle See
Michelle See marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Melissa M
Melissa M marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
♥ Marlene♥
♥ Marlene♥ marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Jennifer Lynn
Jennifer Lynn rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Carla Allen
Carla Allen rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
2BACullen rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
Leigh is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2016
jennifer Zamalloa
jennifer Zamalloa rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Cathy Howland
Cathy Howland rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2016
Brandy Gutierrez
Brandy Gutierrez marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Veloni Amsberry
Veloni Amsberry marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016