Start by marking “The City Under Ground” as Want to Read:
The City Under Ground

The City Under Ground

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Dans la cité souterraine où habitent Luc et ses amis, il n'y a ni fleurs ni soleil. Les gens sont tous chauves, on circule sur des trottoirs mobiles et le ballon au panier se joue avec un robot comme adversaire.
Mille ans après la destruction atomique, les enfants aventureux de l'an 3000 habitent Surréal et ne sont jamais sortis à "l'Air Libre".
Un tremblement de terre endom...more
Published February 1st 1994 by Douglas & Mcintyre Ltd (first published November 12th 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The City Under Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The City Under Ground

Caren
Really and truly, when I reread this book, it's a not-all-that-great story of a rather bland and over-regimented city underground after some worldwide disaster and the boys who discover that there's really a great wide world out there. So why did I give it four stars? Because when I was ten years old, this was my favorite book in the whole world--I must have checked it out of the library at least a dozen times. And I've come to find that other kids of that age adore it, too, so obviously there's...more
Greg
This was the first science fiction book I ever read. As a 10-year old it made a lasting impression on me, and I spent years trying to locate a copy for my home library. Certainly sparked my interest in the science fiction genre. Originally published in the late '60's, I re-read it about 4 years ago and it held up well.
Terry Dean
I read this book aloud to my son who didn't like reading or like anything to do with grade school at the time. As I read, he was attentive and loved the story. I was then able to get him to take turns reading to me aloud and we finished the book. He got an A on his book report. He read several books after that with me and he passed through school to graduate -- all thanks to Suzanne Martel:)

Terry D McMillan
Beth Mathison
Like other readers here, I read this in grade school and it left a permanent love of science fiction on my psyche! I can't believe I found it -- have been looking for years. I'm sure the story wasn't top notch, but it sure made a great impression. Thank you, Goodreads and fellow searchers, for helping me to find it.
Rose
Read in French.
Amanda
Wow, this book has a interesting story behind it for me!
I remember when I was a lot younger, I found this book in the library during lunch, but I couldn't take it out because I already had too many books out. So I did what every kid did- I hid it. And guess what? For all the years I was in that school, I could never find it ever again!
Until now! Thank you, good reads, for helping me find this elusive book and proving to myself I'm not crazy!
Pepe Jose
es una m pinchada en un palico
Janis
A good book to introduce children to science fiction, an easy read. Also shows children directly contributing to society - which my children enjoyed.
Lee Smith
I read this one in the 6th grade. It was the first science fiction book I ever read, and I was hooked on scifi since.
Nathan
Not bad, and clearly where the book "The City of Ember" completely stole many its ideas from.
Andrea Dorothy
Interesting things happened in this book, though written in a dull manner.
Maude
Maude added it
Sep 14, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Mbleska
Mbleska marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Lindenizen
Lindenizen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Mots
Mots marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Gg
Gg marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Diana Welsch
Diana Welsch marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Suzanne Martel (born Suzanne Chouinard on October 8, 1924 in Quebec City, Canada) is a French-Canadian author.

Martel currently resides in Montreal, Canada. She is married to Maurice Martel and together they have six sons and six grandchildren.
More about Suzanne Martel...
Jeanne, fille du Roy/The King's Daughter Menfou Carcajou Robot Alert Nos Amis Robots Pi Oui