Start by marking “The City Under Ground” as Want to Read:
The City Under Ground

The City Under Ground

A community, known as Surreal, has developed from a small band of survivors who retreated at the time of the Great Destruction, In the following centuries a civilization which is technologically, intellectually, and socially extremely advanced has been developed. Despite the widespread belief that Surreal is the only remaining society, it suddenly develops that there is an ...more
Published February 1st 1994 by Douglas & Mcintyre Ltd (first published November 12th 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The City Under Ground, please sign up.

Ani Chen I think you mean the City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau! I've also been looking for it and luckily I came across it. I read this book in elementary school…moreI think you mean the City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau! I've also been looking for it and luckily I came across it. I read this book in elementary school :)(less)

Caren
Oct 11, 2012 Caren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Really and truly, when I reread this book, it's a not-all-that-great story of a rather bland and over-regimented city underground after some worldwide disaster and the boys who discover that there's really a great wide world out there. So why did I give it four stars? Because when I was ten years old, this was my favorite book in the whole world--I must have checked it out of the library at least a dozen times. And I've come to find that other kids of that age adore it, too, so obviously there's ...more
Greg
Feb 19, 2010 Greg rated it it was amazing
This was the first science fiction book I ever read. As a 10-year old it made a lasting impression on me, and I spent years trying to locate a copy for my home library. Certainly sparked my interest in the science fiction genre. Originally published in the late '60's, I re-read it about 4 years ago and it held up well.
Terry Dean
May 11, 2012 Terry Dean rated it really liked it
I read this book aloud to my son who didn't like reading or like anything to do with grade school at the time. As I read, he was attentive and loved the story. I was then able to get him to take turns reading to me aloud and we finished the book. He got an A on his book report. He read several books after that with me and he passed through school to graduate -- all thanks to Suzanne Martel:)

Terry D McMillan
Beth Mathison
Feb 06, 2013 Beth Mathison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like other readers here, I read this in grade school and it left a permanent love of science fiction on my psyche! I can't believe I found it -- have been looking for years. I'm sure the story wasn't top notch, but it sure made a great impression. Thank you, Goodreads and fellow searchers, for helping me to find it.
Danielle Watkins
Feb 23, 2017 Danielle Watkins rated it liked it
Nothing extraordinary, but I enjoyed reading this book since my mom read it when she was younger. I also appreciated the utopian/dystopian vibe of this novel for its time (1964); I don't think this kind of novel was written for a young adult audience until much later when The Giver came onto the literary scene.
Amanda
Jul 02, 2013 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book has a interesting story behind it for me!
I remember when I was a lot younger, I found this book in the library during lunch, but I couldn't take it out because I already had too many books out. So I did what every kid did- I hid it. And guess what? For all the years I was in that school, I could never find it ever again!
Until now! Thank you, good reads, for helping me find this elusive book and proving to myself I'm not crazy!
Lee Smith
Feb 02, 2011 Lee Smith rated it it was amazing
I read this one in the 6th grade. It was the first science fiction book I ever read, and I was hooked on scifi since.
Andrea Dorothy
Oct 25, 2013 Andrea Dorothy rated it liked it
Shelves: underground
Interesting things happened in this book, though written in a dull manner.
Janis
May 30, 2013 Janis rated it really liked it
A good book to introduce children to science fiction, an easy read. Also shows children directly contributing to society - which my children enjoyed.
Elyse
Elyse rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2014
Itto O.
Itto O. rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
A.R.
A.R. rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Joëlle Tétreault
Joëlle Tétreault rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Josh Cormier
Josh Cormier rated it did not like it
Jul 24, 2015
Jammies
Jammies rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Brenna
Brenna rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2013
Madeleine
Madeleine rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2017
Bradley Quick
Bradley Quick rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Elisabeth
Elisabeth rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2011
Bryan Rombough
Bryan Rombough rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2014
Geoffrey
Geoffrey rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Sarah Hildebrand
Sarah Hildebrand rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2009
Phobos
Phobos rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2010
Shawn
Shawn rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2011
Alex Kirkpatrick
Alex Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Michael Bain
Michael Bain rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2014
Mark Masters
Mark Masters rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2011
AuroraBlaze
AuroraBlaze rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • This Time of Darkness
  • Beyond the Burning Lands (The Sword of the Spirits, #2)
  • Journey to the Center (Asgard, #1)
  • The Smoky God, Or, a Voyage to the Inner World
  • The Mysterious Hideaway (Adventures of the Northwoods #6)
  • Saturday, the Twelfth of October
  • The Matrix Comics, Vol. 2
  • The Root Cellar
  • Prince of Underwhere
  • Skipping Stones at the Center of the Earth
  • A Nose For Trouble
  • The Third Level
  • Dark Cities Underground
Suzanne Martel (born Suzanne Chouinard on October 8, 1924 in Quebec City, Canada) was a French-Canadian author.

Martel resided in Montreal, Canada. She was married to Maurice Martel and together they had six sons and six grandchildren.
More about Suzanne Martel...