Start by marking “Mother Goose” as Want to Read:
Mother Goose

Mother Goose

Pat-a-Cake,” “Simple Simon,” “Rock-a-bye, Baby:” these and the many other rhymes that make up Mother Goose have become almost as much a staple of child-rearing as the rattle and the bottle. Little ones love its mix of lullabies and limericks, humor and sing-song verse, and they learn from it too. Gyo Fujikawa brought her inimitable style to this version, which features a m ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Sterling (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Mother Goose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mother Goose

Apr 17, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
My grandparents gave me this book when I was three years old. I still have it, although it is near shreds. I loved it so much that I recently bought a clean copy from ebay. Still, I can't bear to part with my original copy. My sister and I spent hours staring at the pictures and imagining ourselves there - holding an alphabet letter, living in the shoe, sleeping under the moon. Gyo Fujikawa is a master illustrator and the Mother Goose rhymes wouldn't be the same without her interpretation.
Alanna
Aug 07, 2008 Alanna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with children or expecting children
Shelves: children-s, favorites
This is the best Mother Goose book. The pictures are so cute. I read this to my daughter almost every night and she absolutely loved it. When we got to "I see the moon" she would start to tear up and whimper because she knew it was time for bed. I am so glad they rereleased it so other children can enjoy. Would make a great baby shower gift!
Heather
Dec 07, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Paul is currently obsessed with the end papers in this book, which are lovely. He goes through and points to all the animals and then I say the name of the animal and he says the noise it makes. We haven't read the whole thing together, but he likes looking at all the pictures. This is a really nice, comprehensive collection of nursery rhymes.
Tracy
Aug 02, 2008 Tracy rated it it was amazing
This is the edition my mom read to me as a child, and I'm so glad it's been re-released so I can read it to my kids now. This is by far the best Mother Goose book and will hold a cherished spot on you book shelf.
Michael Fitzgerald
Pretty much every human looks the same, with little black eyes and dopey grin. A lot included, but some odd choices of rhymes (and some curious omissions, like "A Diller, a Dollar" and "Hickety Pickety, My Black Hen"). Overall, not one of the best collections out there.
Siskiyou-Suzy
I like the art a lot. I'm looking for a Mother Goose collection to have as my go-to. I almost thought it'd be this one. But then I read Ipsey Wipsey Spider. What? Nobody says that. I don't care where it came from, nobody says that. It's Itsy Bitsy Spider. That's just what most everybody says.
Tana
Jun 15, 2011 Tana added it
I am reading this to Joey and he LOVES it (at age 4). It's filled with hundreds of Mother Goose poems, most of which I've never heard before. So it's not your typical Mother Goose with the ones everyone knows. They are great poems for kids, and the illustrations are fabulous!
Jennifer Griffith
Mar 17, 2008 Jennifer Griffith rated it it was amazing
Oh, how I love this book! I wish I could live in the painting inside the front cover. It's beautiful. I've looked at dozens of Mother Goose books, and this one outshines them all. It recently came back into print, and I think I'll get a copy for each of my children. Beautiful!
Betsy
Mar 03, 2012 Betsy rated it it was amazing
A great collection! Fujikawa's illustrations, as usual, are a wonderful blend of cuteness and multicultural-ness.
Amy
May 31, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
I grew up on this book and read my old copy to my daughter. I absolutely love her illustrations.
Ciaran Tober-Bridges
Ciaran Tober-Bridges rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2012
Erika
Erika rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2011
Rebecca Scala
Rebecca Scala rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Abcdarian
Abcdarian rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Caroline Rogers
Caroline Rogers rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2015
Heidi Banerji
Heidi Banerji rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2011
FOOSA
FOOSA rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2013
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
medi
medi rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2010
Linda  Van Wert
Linda Van Wert rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2010
Amanda E Meddock
Amanda E Meddock rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Amy Thomas
Amy Thomas rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2012
B. M.
B. M. rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Slanek1
Slanek1 rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2009
Bekah
Bekah rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2017
Nadiyah
Nadiyah rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Sayruh
Sayruh rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2012
Aubrey
Aubrey rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2013
  • Around the Year
  • The Golly Sisters Go West
  • Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn
  • Time to Eat
  • The Man Who Lost His Head (Picture Puffins)
  • Read-Aloud Rhymes for the Very Young
  • Dahlia
  • Apple Tree Christmas
  • The Story of the Snow Children
  • The Magic Nesting Doll
  • Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee
  • Annie and Helen
Gyo Fujikawa was an American illustrator and children's book author. A prolific creator of more than 50 books for children, her work is regularly in reprint and has been translated into 17 languages and published in 22 countries. Her most popular books, Babies and Baby Animals, have sold over 1.7 million copies in the U.S. Fujikawa is recognized for being the earliest mainstream illustrator of pic ...more
More about Gyo Fujikawa...