Start by marking “The Maid of the White Hands (Tristan and Isolde, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Maid of the White Hands (Tristan and Isolde, #2)

The Maid of the White Hands (Tristan and Isolde #2)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  840 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Isolde's day has come. In Ireland, her mother, the Queen, lies dying. The throne of the Emerald Isle, one of the last strongholds of the goddess, awaits her. But while Ireland is her destiny, Isolde is already Queen of Cornwall, trapped in a loveless marriage to its mean-spirited King Mark. Her true love is his nephew, Tristan of Lyonesse, who has never married, remaining ...more
Published (first published August 19th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Maid of the White Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maid of the White Hands

Mirah W
I think the plot of book 2 progressed a little faster than book 1. Apparently, Miles diverts from the Irish myth with the fates of Tristan and Isolde. I didn't know much about it to begin with so this was news to me. I thought the twist with Blanche was good...and well-written. However, I still have my primary complaint about these books....Miles overuses such sentiments as "oh my love", "Oh Goddess Mother help me", "oh my love". It gets repetitive and annoying.
Julie Tichonchuk
This book is on par with the tale of King Arthur and his lot. It reminds me of Odysseus, where the poor guy is just trying to get home. Tristin and Isolde are just trying to find peace. I have to find the third book now. I have to know how it ends.
What with the running to and fro and hither and yon by Tristan and Isolde, the many trials and tests of their love and all the drama and whatnot, I am just exhausted. I think I'll take a long and sober break before reading the third in this series.
Stephanie Krause
This is probably my all-time favorite series. I don't know what it is, but it is always the first trilogy I mention when I talk about my favorite books... and I have a LOT of favorite books. :)
Sandra
I'm glad this book only cost me 1 Euro, and even that Euro was a waste of money. I only got 50 pages into this book, but everything about it makes me so angry that I don't see the point in continuing. The problem here is definitely me, I'm so used to the original Medieval texts that I can't follow these characters' motivation or the world setting. I have a problem with the Queens holding so much power (Mark being a pawn of sorts for Igraine, Isolde's mother ruling Ireland) when this is not histo ...more
Mariah
Oh, Tristan and Isolde. There's a reason your legend isn't as well known as Arthur, Guinevere and Lancelot's.

Sigh.

I love Rosalind Miles. Love her. Her writing is evocative, lush, vivid...I could wax poetic with superlatives all day, but suffice it to say I'll read just about anything she writes even if the actual subject matter isn't engaging me as I'd like it to.

And Tristan and Isolde's love story is not engaging me.

The Maid of the White Hands picks up shortly after Isolde, Queen of the Weste
Artist Erin
The Maid of The White Hands by Rosalind Miles- Book Review by Erin Miller
Published on May 24, 2012 by Erin Miller in Shopping
The Maid of The White Hands by Rosalind Miles- Book Review by Erin Miller

Rosalind Miles is a good historical fiction author.

The Maid Of The White Hands By Rosalind Miles- Book Review By Erin Miller

Rosalind Miles is a good historical fiction author. I liked the first book that I have read of hers that was called Isolde Queen of the Western Isle. Her second books The Maid o
Prom
The second book in this series was okay. It was definately a faster read than the first installment. I have made a promise to myself to finish this series and Im going to. A nice thing about reading the second book in this trilogy is that the relationships are starting to blossom. By that I mean that some depth has been attained (FINALLY!!!) But I need to stress the *some* part in my summary. I feel that there is no real voice behind any one of the characters. At a few points in the story, I rea ...more
Lisa Lap
Book two of the Tristan and Isolde love affair find us ten years down the road from where book one left off and yet the couple finds themselves no closer to being able to live openly than before. They're happy and content with their lives though - and find joy in the pleasure of each other's company in a court where joy is hard to come by.

Enter a new plot twist. A young princess - Blanche - has her heart set on the famous knight Tristan to have as her husband. It doesn't matter that they have n
Erin
Unlike some movie franchises, books do seem to improve upon their sequels. In" The Maid of the White Hands" it is ten years after Isolde's marriage to King Mark of Cornwall. The couple remain childless and Isolde has managed to keep her affair with her knight, Tristan, King of Lyonnesse a secret. But that is only because King Mark remains a little dumb and won't listen to any of his advisors tell him anything different. Isolde soon hears the news that her mother, Queen of Dubh Lein has died. Iso ...more
Ashwise
Didn't care for it. The words were repetitive and it failed to hold my interest.
Patricia
Oh what a story! There was intense emotion throughout the whole book. Rosalind really knows how to get her readers to become enthralled with her story as well as truly involved.
I found myself more than once nearly screaming at whichever character was nearest to Blanche to kill her. Tristan's dispair and adventure was conveyed so well that I found my own heart beat racing in tune to his.
An amazing second book and I truly look forward to the third !
Lisa
Nikki
Again, keeping this just for reference -- alas for my feeling that I've got to be able to put my hands on any Arthuriana I've ever come across. This trilogy is exactly as I'd expect from Rosalind Miles, having read here Guenevere trilogy, and if you don't want to be smothered in purple prose and sick-making attitudes to women, just... avoid.
Cassie
Jan 05, 2014 Cassie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mythology readers
Recommended to Cassie by: book series
The second book of the Tristan and Isolde trilogy. This novel continuous the story after the potion that Isolde uses against Tristan goes awry.
Dav'ne (Davney)
Okay, so the first saga of Tristan & Isolde was fun...kind of like the opera. The second was okay...this one. But it's old now and I don't have to read #3. Poor Tristan, his head must still hurt all these centuries later from all the jousting wounds!
Keeley
She really kept me on my toes with this one. I couldn't forsee how she was going to work the plot through, but she did it and kept it interesting despite the sometimes annoying lovey-dovey goings-on. I am excited to read the last installment.
katherine drake
This series of books just makes me smile, for reasons all my own. They do expand out well on this lovely story at the fringe and outer reach of Arthur's Round Table tales, amid the lush green and mystical tradition of Ireland.
~mad
Yum, yum!

07.06.14 - somewhere back there I thought this was 5 stars. Well, I just read it again, not realizing it, and it was not up to Rosalind Miles usual writing. I have the third from the library and will see!
Lydiajett
The second in the "Tristan & Isolde" series. This is where things really start to get interesting. And this book has an interesting villain in the form of a love-struck girl named Blanche.
Carmen
This part of the trilogy describes how Tristan meets and marries Isolde of the white hands. This version shows more trickery by the new Isolde and more suspicion from King Mark.
Karina
Sequel to Isolde. Again, I liked the book but one of the main conflicts doesn't sit right with what I believe...of course could be why it's a conflict.:)
Anna Claire
Man, this is one weird tale. I love Atwood at the best of times, and this was the oddest most interesting read aside from her short stories.
Janine
The second of a trilogy that tells the tragic tale of Tristan and Isolde, lovers meant to be separated by time and space.
Richard Harden
As with the first book of the Tristan and Isolde novels, this is an imaginative and enjoyable retelling of the legend.
Emaline Lapinski
pretty good, decent. it left me anticipating the next installment in the series
Lyn
3 stars
I'll write a review some other time when I'm free
That is all
Nicole Spezzaferri
The second one was okay. It wasn't as good as the first or last one.
Dacia
LOVE IT!! Plus a perfect cliffhanger for the third book....
Mayuri Kasaraneni
not as good as the first one but still really good
  • Dark Moon of Avalon (Twilight of Avalon, #2)
  • Prince of Dreams: A Tale of Tristan and Esyllte
  • Guinevere: The Legend in Autumn  (Guinevere, #3)
  • The Chessboard Queen (Guinevere, #2)
  • In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1)
  • The Uncrowned Queen (War of the Roses, #3)
  • The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Arthurian Legends
  • Gwenhwyfar: The White Spirit
  • The Courts of Love (Queens of England, #5)
  • Virgin: Prelude to the Throne
  • Pendragon's Banner (Pendragon's Banner Trilogy, #2)
  • The Prince of Poison (Alix of Wanthwaite, #3)
Rosalind Miles is an author born and raised in England and now living in both Los Angeles and Kent, England. She has written both works of fiction and non-fiction. As a child, Miles suffered from polio, and had to undergo several months of treatment. After being accepted to a junior women's college, Miles acquired a working knowledge of Latin and Greek, along with developing her life-long love of ...more
More about Rosalind Miles...
I, Elizabeth Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country (Guenevere, #1) Isolde, Queen of the Western Isle (Tristan and Isolde, #1) The Knight of the Sacred Lake (Guenevere, #2) The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)