Start by marking “Alice in Blunderland” as Want to Read:
Alice in Blunderland

Alice in Blunderland (Alice Prequels #2)

Here are all the embarrassing things that might happen to you in the fourth grade -- and "do" happen to you, if your name is Alice McKinley: 1. Your next-door neighbor (who happens to be a BOY!) sees you in your underpants.

2. You sneeze beans all over your best friend.

3. Your brother lies to you for fun and you believe him.

4. You get trapped inside a snow cave -- your "own
Published September 1st 2003 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Alice in Blunderland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice in Blunderland

Judith Bautista
Oct 05, 2015 Judith Bautista rated it it was amazing
Have you ever tried to act cool in front of your friends but everything goes all wrong? The genre of this book is realistic fiction. In my opinion I thought this book was really good and funny because it tells a lot of embarrassing things that happened to Alice in the fourth grade.

The setting of this book is mostly at Alice's elementary school and sometimes in Alice's house. It is important because it creates the whole book by making it alive and it has a lot of details. This book is about a
Cordelia Dinsmore
Jul 21, 2012 Cordelia Dinsmore rated it it was amazing
This was my first Alice book. I happened to love it, and that's why I gave it a five star rating. The author has totally nailed the voice of a 9 yo girl who is not world wise, and still has the innocence of a well-loved child. I loved the sense of humor in the book, especially the way the author so realistically portrayed the fourth graders as they learned about the growth of babies from the earliest stages. I also loved Alice's naivete in regards to her older brother. Of course she believed eve ...more
erica
Feb 14, 2015 erica rated it really liked it
more like 3 1/2 stars. it didn't feel as engaging as the first in the prequel series. alice is so misunderstood and I want her to find someone who will make her feel she is important! this one just lacked substance.
Ashley
Oct 16, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it
I think this book teaches children:
1) Life experiences often times builds character.
In the book, Alice learns a lot more about life and experiences some more embarrassing moments that build character.
2) Sometimes, a trial is a blessing in disguise.
In the book, Alice and her brother set aside their differences to unite for a greater good.
Miri
Oct 30, 2012 Miri rated it really liked it
I wish I wasn't trying to read as wide a variety of junior fiction as I can right now, because these books make me want to just put down everything else until I've finished the whole series. I really like Alice.
Samantha
This is probably more of a 3.5 because it's pretty good. Alice is in 4th grade and her year is marked by a lie that she takes seriously which angers Lester. Alice's brother Lester likes a girl named Lisa and one night while doing dishes Lester confides in Alice about Lisa's troubled home life. Alice and her friends band together and save money and collect items for a care package so as to help Lisa escape her situation, but what Alice doesn't know is that Lisa actually has a pretty nice home lif ...more
Molly (Conan the Librarian) Crumbley
Alice McKinley is back in action and ready to begin fourth grade in the second installment of the series. Unfortunately for her, it seems like fourth grade might be even tougher for her than third—she just can’t seem to stop making blunders!

Every other day it seems like Alice is knee-deep in humiliation—getting buried in a collapsed snow cave, believing her big brother Lester’s ridiculous lies, having to sing in front of the whole class even though she can’t carry a tune, and reenacting romantic
brooklynnnne
Dec 09, 2015 brooklynnnne rated it really liked it
Stephanie E
Dec 23, 2007 Stephanie E rated it really liked it
I read this book a long time ago, but I still remember it. It's about a girl named Alice and her father and older brother, Lester. Her mother died when she was very little and she doesn't remember much about her mother. It was a pretty good book but I don't recommend this book of the series for people over 13 or 14. Maybe some of the other books where Alice is older. =]
Hannah Robinson
Jan 05, 2015 Hannah Robinson rated it it was amazing
Alice in Blunderland was a funny book i very much enjoyed.It was a book that you dont want to put down when you are reading.From all of the funny times alice got embarrassed to when she was hanging out with her firends to when she gets introuble. This is just one of the many books in the alice series and I cant wait to read the reast of the funny book in the series
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, humor
In a world full of books about not fitting in and doing stupid embarrassing things, Alice has to be my absolute favorite. Sure there's other books out there with a whole slew of crazy things happening to one kid, but Alice is like all of us. Alice is REAL and the things that happen are just the kinds of things that you're likely to do (or probably did at her age).

Great series!
Smile
Oct 09, 2014 Smile rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book as a young girl. She was the girl I dreamed to be. All her blunders and embarrassments, I wished to experience. I mostly envied her relationship with her teacher, who appeared to be very understanding of her. I literally read this book so much that within the first year of buying the book, it was all tattered and taped!
Talia
Mar 19, 2009 Talia rated it really liked it
Fourth grader Alice has the best of intentions, but she’s also really gullible. Especially when it comes to her teasing older brother, where Alice believes most of what comes out of Lester’s mouth, leading to some huge problems.

Another cute prequel to the Alice series.
Lillian
Jul 26, 2013 Lillian rated it it was amazing
I wouldn't say this is my FAVORITE Alice book but it feels weird to give it anything BUT a 5/5! This is a solid Alice book! Actually it's a good book in GENERAL. If I have kids, I am SO MAKING THEM READ THESE BOOKS.
Emma
May 30, 2011 Emma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another funny and cute Alice book! Alice learns a lot more about life and experiences some more embarrassing moments that build character. There were a couple of moments where I actually couldn't help but chuckle. This is a great book and you should check it out!
Oct 12, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Alice has started 4th grade, and she's still getting into trouble. Shoving vitamins up her nose, getting trapped in a snow cave, and covering for her brother while he stays out late with a girl.

Charming and cute, but not as many laugh-out-loud moments as the previous book.
gwen g
Dec 14, 2013 gwen g rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
These are so sweet. Fourth-grade Alice is as adorable as third-grade Alice. I think I'm going to start skipping around in the series, at least to the YA installments, but I'm happy these were recommended to me.
10-11 Isabella
Nov 28, 2010 10-11 Isabella rated it liked it
This book was okay but not my favorite. It was about a girls who is a little quirky but it just wasn't that interesting. Nothing happened that really sucked me into the story. It did not hook me in.
Kathrine
Mar 07, 2010 Kathrine rated it it was amazing
Alice is a blunderbuss in this book!!!!!!! Especially when it comes to her brothers lies!!! She is goofy, funny and a blunderbuss!!!!! So read it to find out what silly things she does.
Partridge Public
Apr 25, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it
another series that Mary and I both enjoy
Emma
Aug 06, 2011 Emma rated it did not like it
Really not a good book for kids ages 10-12. but probably okay for kids who are 13 +.
Lisa
Nov 02, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
Not as charming as the first Alice prequel, but it was a still a fun read. Naylor has a knack for capturing the voice and spirit of a 4th grade girl.
Caroline
Aug 24, 2008 Caroline rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
Alice is blundering along with her pals Donald and Rosalind, her dad and brother Lester (who takes advantage of her gullibility) and her cat Oatmeal.
Koqua
Dec 20, 2011 Koqua added it
it was okay. alice always believes what he brother tells her.
Danielle
Dec 09, 2014 Danielle rated it liked it
Alice is in 4th grade! Everything she does is sooooo embarrassing.
Missy
Aug 03, 2009 Missy added it
Great book! It's ridiculous, sad, funny, weird, and lovable all at the same time!
Sonia Schoenfield
Dec 15, 2011 Sonia Schoenfield rated it really liked it
My daughter liked this so much she immediately read the next ones in the series. This strikes me as an updated version of Ramona. Would recommend to any fourth-grader.
Kendra
Mar 14, 2010 Kendra rated it really liked it
i LOVE this book.Phyllis Reynolds Naylor is awsome<3 Most books have not real world problem. but her books are kids my age having problems like their brother not there to open the door. it so so good
Kim
Jun 27, 2007 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens
Has mortifying events! Be ready to feel the pain of Alice. Phyllis, again, gets another standing ovation. At least from me.
  • Self-Portrait (Three Girls in the City, #1)
  • Please Write in This Book
  • Home Sweet Horror
  • Grave Secrets (Deadtime Stories, #8)
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Ten Ways To Make My Sister Disappear
  • Face the Music (Hannah Montana, #9)
  • Beyond the Door (Time Out of Time, #1)
  • The Christmas Genie
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • The Year of the Rat (A Pacy Lin Novel)
  • Just Another Day in My Insanely Real Life
  • Ruby Lu, Brave and True
  • Buddy (Dog Diaries #2)
  • Sophie the Awesome (Sophie, #1)
  • Hold on Tight (Hannah Montana, #5)
  • Never Swipe a Bully's Bear (Roscoe Riley Rules, #2)
  • The Girl Behind the Glass
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice Prequels (3 books)
  • Starting with Alice (Alice Prequels #1)
  • Lovingly Alice (Alice Prequels #3)

“There was a fire drill at school the next day. I think I’m more afraid of the fire alarm than I am of a fire. When the fire alarm goes off, you jump out of your skin. Your heart pounds and your ears buzz and your brain melts and all you want to do is get away from that horrible noise. “Get up and walk quickly out the door and to your right,” said Mr. Dooley. “Do not pass go and do not collect two hundred dollars,” said Donald. I held my hands over my ears to drown out the fire alarm. Outside we stood around waiting for the bell that means we could come back in again. “Yay! The roof is on fire! No more school!” someone joked. “Anybody got a match?” said someone else. Mr. Dooley said that wasn’t funny. He said if there really was a fire, we’d be smart to know what to do.” 0 likes