Start by marking “Alice in April (Alice, #5)” as Want to Read:
Alice in April (Alice, #5)

Alice in April (Alice #5)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,508 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Alice in ChargeIt all starts when Aunt Sally reminds Alice that now that she's about to turn thirteen, she's the Woman of the House. Alice has always assumed that her father and her older brother, Lester, were there to take care of her. How can she possibly take care of them?

Alice's attempts to take charge of her household lead to one problem after another, culminating in
Published September 1st 2002 by Aladdin Paperbacks (first published April 30th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Alice in April, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice in April

Jess
I remember crying over this book because it dealt with the topic of suicide in a high school setting that young girls can understand and empathize with. The "Alice" series is great because it is funny, interesting, and a lot of fun, but also because it teaches those difficult lessons in a really comprehensive way that suits the target audience.
Melee
When I was about 8 or 9 (or perhaps younger) I saw the book Alice in April in my grandmother's library and thought it looked interesting. I didn't check it out, though, because at the time my mother essentially governed my book choices. I was right in doubting I'd be allowed to read this; I'm sure my mother wouldn't have been thrilled by boob-obsessed Alice whose brother advises her how to insult boys by insulting their testicles. :P

Miraculously, the title of this book has stuck in my mind for y
Shauna
After I read this book, I felt like Alice was my best friend! The way this book is written is so wonderful that Alice and her friends and families just come alive. This book is about the struggles of being an adolescent girl in a household of boys. She struggles with feeling like a woman and gaining respect from her father and brother. She wants to feel like a grown-up, but fears it will never happen. I read this book over and just because it feels like visiting an old friend!
Laura Hughes
Alice feels that she is now grown up enough to be "the woman of the house" (especially after pressure from her aunt Sally to take housewifely care of her single dad and older brother.) Alice makes a mess of this task through various hijinks, including biting off more than she can chew when planning a birthday party for her dad.

Meanwhile, Alice's classmates are assigning girls nicknames of states based on comparing their breasts to geological features. Various adults rightly tell Alice to ignore
Lucrecia Ramos
Alice In April is a book about a young girl named Alice, her brother Lester, and her dad. Since Alice's aunt Sally told her she is the "Woman of the House", Alice has done everything she thought her mother, who died, would have done. She tries to handle her family by herself but then realizes she doesn't have to do all the work by herself because they were a family. I liked the book because it is very interesting, easy to understand, and it goes along with the young age. It tells the struggles ...more
Samantha
Alice endeavors to take on the role of Woman of the House, though the job proves to be a bit too much for a 12 year old. I think hormones are starting to kick in during the 2nd half of Alice's 7th grade year as she spends a large part of the book crying over one thing or the other. Though, a truly tragic event (suicide) takes place near the end of the book that deserves a year's worth of tears and then some. Probably not my favorite book in the series, but it moved the saga of Alice along some.
Celine Parker
I grew up with the Alice series, and probably read this book when I was thirteen as well. I was also very excited about this book because April is one of my favorite months (cheesy, I know). But Alice learns what I have learned over the years as well - that sometimes when you have the best of intentions, things don't exactly go as planned, but that doesn't mean you've failed.
Liz
Alice lives with her dad and 20-yr-old brother. Her mom died when she was four. Alice's aunt says Alice will be the "Woman of the House" now that she's about to turn thirteen. Can Alice handle the responsibility? This book deals with several important issues pertaining to preteens and the amusing way kids handle them.
Emma
This book flew by so quickly. While I enjoyed my read I found the ending to be a little too much. I would have liked the subject of suicide to be in a separate book. It was too rushed and just sort of thrown in there. While this isn't my favorite of the series I do think it does add something to the group.
Caroline
Aunt Sally calls and reminds Alice of her thirteenth birthday. It's coming, and Aunt Sally says that its arrival signifies Alice becoming Woman of the House. Alice starts trying to take care of everything, only it doesn't quite work out...
Libby
The one I remember the best from growing up--still good! However, there is a really sad event at the end that I had forgotten--this installment definitely takes the book into deeper emotional territory.
Chris
Woah, where did that ending come from? It seemed pretty heavy for a series that has been pretty lighthearted all along. And then the tragedy seemed to be glossed over pretty quickly.
Megan
This book got a little boring in the middle. There was a big surprise in the end though. I feel like the Book was a little rushed and not finished. Over all I think the book was ok.
B
#8 in the series. Alice wants to be the "woman of the house", now that she's almost 13, befriends her old bully enemy, and plans her dad's 50th birthday party.
Kricket
book 5. in which alice, acting on aunt sally's misguided advice that she be "woman of the house," throws a terrible birthday party for her father.
Stephi C
Amazing. If I didn't know the author I'd think it was a young girl. This book literally made me cry. Yes, CRY. I love it. <3
Elissa
Alice is almost thirteen and takes on the responsibilities of "the Woman of the House." Also, by far, one of the best "after-school special" type of Alice issue by PRN, dealing with teen suicide.

Book takes place: April of Alice's 7th grade year.
Alice's life lessons: You can't stop things -- life -- from happening.
Best Alice moment(s): 7th-grade girls being named after states based on their breast size; throwing her father's 50th birthday party; Ben and Sylvia in the hot air balloon; the introduc
Amanda
I was so shocked when I found out about Denise! It actually made me cry!
Atali
This is a stressful book that made me kind of go and help her.
Maria
Alice #5 -- covering the month of April in Alice's seventh grade year.

Alice's old-fashioned Aunt Sally tells Alice that she's almost thirteen, and therefore has to assume the role of the Woman of the House, and all the responsibilities that come with it. This creates a lot of struggles for Alice and her family which culminate in Alice throwing a disastrous birthday party for her dad.

Alice's struggles here highlight the silliness of traditional gender roles, especially in non-traditional families
Crys (The Hodgenator)
Alice represents an honest portrayal of growing up for a young girl, although in her case she is trying to do it without a mother.

In the latest installment, Alice realizes that soon she will be thirteen, and according to her Aunt Sally this will make her the woman of the house. Alice takes this to heart, and throughout the novel we see her try to take care of her father and brother - and of course herself - in a very adult way. From planning her father's fiftieth birthday party to insisting that
Ana
Dalam perjalanan ke halte bus, kurasa aku sudah menemukan rahasia perdamaian dunia. Kalau semua orang di seluruh dunia bertindak seakan orang di sisinya akan meninggal besok, mungkin semua akan mengatakan hal-hal yang baik saja pada orang lain.

Duh, jadi nyesel kenapa tadinya saya meng-underestimate buku ini. Karena ternyata novel teenlit ini ngga sembarang teenlit yang biasa saya baca. Memang penampilan luar kadang menipu, saya kurang merasa 'diundang' ketika melihat cover buku terbitan Gramedi
Heather
I read a few Alice books when I was younger and loved them, and I enjoyed this one just as much as an adult. The series has been widely banned for its frank discussions of sex and puberty. While I don't think the books are appropriate for young kids, they seem pretty tame to me compared to a lot of the children's and young adult lit out there now ("Alice in April" was published in 1993). I LOVE the characters in the Alice books. I totally relate to Alice and her confusion about boys, her family, ...more
Natalie
I have to take a minute to have a mini rant - why the hell am I reading words like "Harry Potter" and "DVD" in a book that was written in 1993?!? It pisses me off. This book was written in the early 90s. That's part of the charm! Dear Reprinters - don't steal the charm! There is no need to "update" something. Kids are smart, they don't need books changed with crap like this. It totally detracts from the story because it doesn't fit.

Okay, rant over. Thank you for listening.

This is a more serious
Leigha
Elizabeth
I think these books are great. They deal with great things for jr high girls and are completely age appropriate, unlike most books for younger teens. No bad language, good kids overall, great preteen books!
Julie
Alice is really relatable, but this book is better for younger kids.

My favorite so far of this highly addictive series.
Brittany Ross
I read these books years ago. I'm 25 and retreading them. Even though they are geared to young girls, anyone can relate to them. Phyllis really hits the nail on the head showing what life is really like for a 7th grader. My now deceased aunt took me to the library in 6th grade where I found " agony of Alice" . And I've been hooked since. The library gave away books this past summer and that book just happend to be one of them. Needless to say I will never rid of. I definitely recommend this book ...more
Kira Brighton
A fun, relatable book.
  • Anastasia Again! (Anastasia Krupnik, #2)
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Summerhouse Time
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • Katie's New Recipe (Cupcake Diaries, #13)
  • Just Add Magic
  • She's a Witch Girl (Salem Witch, #3)
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
  • Life, Starring Me! (Candy Apple #18)
  • The Classroom
  • Detour for Emmy (Hamilton High, #1)
  • Fairy School Dropout
  • Ophie Out of Oz
  • Sixth Grade Secrets
  • Sixth-Grade Glommers, Norks, and Me
Phyllis Reynolds Naylor was born in Anderson, Indiana, US on January 4, 1933.

Her family were strongly religious with conservative, midwestern values and most of her childhood was spent moving a lot due to her father's occupation as a salesman.

Though she grew up during the Depression and her family did not have a lot of money, Naylor stated that she never felt poor because her family owned good boo
More about Phyllis Reynolds Naylor...

Alice (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1)
  • Alice in Rapture, Sort of (Alice, #2)
  • Reluctantly Alice (Alice, #3)
  • All But Alice (Alice, #4)
  • Alice In-Between (Alice, #6)
  • Alice the Brave (Alice, #7)
  • Alice in Lace (Alice, #8)
  • Outrageously Alice (Alice, #9)
  • Achingly Alice (Alice, #10)
  • Alice on the Outside  (Alice, #11)
Shiloh (Shiloh, #1) The Agony of Alice (Alice, #1) Faith, Hope, and Ivy June Shiloh Season (Shiloh, #2) Saving Shiloh (Shiloh, #3)