Lucky Everyday: A Novel

Lucky Everyday: A Novel

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  28 reviews
An inspiring novel about a women named Lucky who is anything but . . .

Forced to flee Bombay when her wealthy and charming husband divorces her and squashes her career, Lucky Boyce feels defeated and desperate for respite. Fortunately, old friends welcome her to New York where life begins with promise. Determined and trying to make a difference, she volunteers to teach yoga...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Penguin Books (first published 2009)

Ivy
The character is well-written and her plight sympathetic but the bizarre series of events that makes up the plot is one big pile of WTF.
Smita Beohar
When a lady commented to Lucky Boyce, “You are lucky today, you escaped miraculously.” Lucky simply said “I am Lucky Everyday”.

Can a name make you luckier than others??

What we get to see of Lucky’s life can never be called a lucky existence. As an outcome of her bitter divorce she was forced to flee from Mumbai to New York leaving behind a trail of bitter memories & a business which she had nurtured with her sweat & blood. She tries to start afresh in New York and starts teaching Yoga...more
Wendi
Angela
Lucky Everyday is a philosophical novel about the crooked path toward spiritual enlightenment.

The novel begins with Lucky volunteering to teach yoga at a men's prison.

In a swift move backward in time, the reader learns about Lucky's previous relationship with a pseudo-boyfriend, Amay, whom she wishes she had married and her disastrous marriage to Viki, the glamorous businessman who wanted a more traditional wife that Lucky ever would be.

In a series of seemingly random yet intricately interwove...more
Carmen
Enjoyed the book very much. I liked reading about the Indian culture (Asia) and how the women there have the same ambitions, wants and needs as we do in the US. One of my favorite parts was reading how the main charachter dealt with her emotions around abortion. She was asked at the end of the book if she was worried about what people would say adding that the character had an abortion and she said that in India society does not make it their business, it is unspoken that what is chosen for them...more
Ellen
I just don't know about this one. I get what the author was going for, the whole spiritual journey--letting go--enlightenment shebang, but wow what a disjointed downer.

And for some odd reason this book kept reminding me of Good in Bed and I've decided there should be a sub-class of books, "REALLY? fiction." Not to be confused with "Mom Fiction," "REALLY? fiction" are books where the plot just keeps spiralling down until you find yourself saying, "Really, (insert author's name here), was that ne...more
Amanda
What was it? Chick lit about divorcee who rebuilds her life after her crappy marriage falls apart. Sort of, only in this case Viki got India and Lucky was exiled to the US. I've heard of custody battles but this is ridiculous. Or maybe it was a book about finding enlightenment through yoga and a lot of misery. There was mystery. Mystery and suspense, also some courtroom drama. Lucky Everyday hit all these genres. I DID like it, but every once in a while I got whiplash when the plot/style changed...more
Erin
I enjoyed the story, but I'm guessing the author's first language isn't English because while the story/plot/ideas/thoughts were great the writing lacked depth and creativity and it read like the first draft of what with better writing and more flushed out scenes could have been more exciting, even gripping. But instead it didn't make much of an impact. But while the writing style annoyed me, the story held my interest.
Sherenaz Mazda
This is an amazing insight into looking beyond the controlling circumstances to see the view from the mountaintop and change directions. Spirituality has many faces but its effect is the same - a liberation from the bindings, release of energy and potential. The story here is intriguing and I just could not put the book down but the lessons hit home
Freny
Really was entertained and read to finish upto 3 am.
I also enjoyed the yoga bits and since I do yoga it is so motivating to read the effects! Lucky could not have been so successful without a strong body that yoga provided her with!!!
Overall I am so impressed at the way my attention was rapt and such an unusual book!!!
Audrey Norton
This was a very good, light reading kind of book. I have been studying world religions this semester, and Lucky is Buddhist, so it was nice to read about her meditation and beliefs. The ending was a little dry, but supposedly there's a sequel coming.
Tiffony
Truly worth the 99 cents I paid for this book on clearance. I was surprised how easily I was able to get into this story of a women whose life has been been through the wringer and back again. Her strength was inspiring. I would def suggest it to friends!
Margie Sanders

I liked it. Having worked with D.O.C. and a yoga enthusiast the references were sometimes off but it was still enjoyable. I didn't care for the affair and I'm really confused by the ending. Did she live? Did she die? I can't tell.
Christian
I never would have picked up this book if I had not seen it recommended on the Bikramyoga website. Initially I thought it was a marketing scam, but the book was actually very good. I particularly enjoyed the ending :-)
Katy
I was gripped by the journey that Lucky endured. I loved the ending which made me contemplate. As a student of yoga this book was inspiring. I look forward to more readings by this author.
Sunita Rajwade
This is a not to be missed novel. I enjoyed the characterization and the plot that kept me up late in the nigh till I turned the last page. One of those books I will refer too always!!!!
zellia
This was a great book! I especially loved the ending -- it really
allowed me to use my imagination about what happened to the main
character. Great read!
Annie Malinosky
I read this book when I was taking a lot of yoga classes. It was a good book but kind of hard to get into and a tad far fetched.
Evelyn M
I really enjoyed this. She definitely is not the Luckiest of people but that is life. Which is part of the point. Very good read
Anil Jaiswal
interesting view from an Indian born English writer, with cultural twists. nice plot and easy read
Xiang Wang
This book is fascinating. i love th dramatic debut and its ending. this a must read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
alka PURI
Enjoyable and could not put it down! Great and entertaining!!!
Gary
To see things in a positive way!! And to believe in myself!!!
Rosh
Nice Read. I enjoyed reading this book.
Jojo
INSPIRING and AMAZING
A novel not to be missed!
Julie
Jul 14, 2011 Julie is currently reading it
Started this book today, 7/14/11.
Sammy