Start by marking “Digging Est Dog” as Want to Read:
Digging Est Dog

Digging Est Dog

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  2,247 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Illus. in full color. A dog who has to learn how to dig doesn't stop until he has dug up the whole town. ...more
Published (first published August 12th 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Digging Est Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Digging Est Dog

First published in the tumultuous intellectual environment of 1967, Al Perkins' treatise is frequently mistaken as a satire of Fascism. A closer reading shows the theme to be Man's struggle against (and implicitly, ultimate acceptance of) his own mortality (cf. the "hard stone floor" against which Duke rages).

An alternate, Marxian interpretation, based primarily on the ending tableau in which Duke uses his skills to plow a garden, has fallen out of favor.
May 29, 2014 Aaron_ebert rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young children
Recommended to Aaron_ebert by: no one
Shelves: childrens-books
"The Digging-est Dog" by Al Perkins is a book about a dog who did not have a home until he met a young boy at the store where he was kept.

The characters include Duke, the dog who was at the store who is lonely and wants a home. Sam, the boy who took Duke home. Sam is a kind boy who feels bad for Duke when he is in the shop and decides to take him home. The pack of dogs are the local dogs who Sam hooks Duke up with, they are judgmental of dukes inability to dig and are overall the problem in the
Oh yes, I rated it 1 star. It started out with such potential, a dog being adopted by a wonderful little boy. They play and have fun together, they love each other to no end, BUT WAIT! Other dogs come along, and it is discovered the boy's new dog can't dig, because he grew up in essentially a cement cell. So, they work together; the boy trying to teach the dog how to dig.

Alas, the boy is sad, for the dog just can't learn, and so night comes. In the night, the dog discovers how to dig, and become
A dog can’t be a dog in a pet shop. They can’t run, they can’t play, and they most definitely can’t dig! This book is about a dog named Duke who desperately wanted to get out of the pet shop—off of the “hard floor of stone”. One day, a boy named Sam, saw him in the shop. He knew that a dog couldn’t be a dog in a place like that! He took Duke back to his farm and made him feel at home. Sam introduced Duke to other dogs who liked to dig. Duke had never dug before, and just couldn’t get the hand of ...more
Category: Beginning reader picture books
Author: Al Perkins
Illustrator: Eric Gurney
Title: The Digging-est Dog
Publication date: 1967
Brief annotation: A dog obsessed with digging can’t stop and digs up the entire town.
Themes: habit, obsession, humor, dogs, dog behavior, consequences, selfishness
Ways to use the book with children: Predicting the consequences of what happens when you can’t control your own behaviors
Greta High-reynolds
This book is really special... my aunt passed it down to Phoenix when he was a baby and it quickly became a favorite for both of us. It had been her son's book (my cousin) and had also been a favorite of his. Recently, my cousin passed away unexpectedly. It was way too soon. We still have this falling-apart, well-loved book on our book shelf and it makes me think of Jeff, and of little baby Phoenix :)
Even when I was a very young child I really disliked this book. First, the dog is kept in that horrible store. Next, the other dogs bully him for being different; then Sammy Brown puts the 'being able' to dig condition on his love for the dog; and then turns around and rejects the dog when he does the exact activity that Sammy wanted him to do - to the point that the boy was going to return the dog to the horrible store. Again, the other dogs bully him for being different, to the point that one ...more
Lisa Arthur
The Digging-est Dog by Al Perkins.

It's a great book for children learning to read. Sammy Brown becomes the hero and does what every kids wants to do save animal from the pet shop. Sammy gets his own dog and names him Duke. I love how Sammy wants to teach Duke all he knows. Duke like any other pet with his love for his owner want to please him. Like children who want to make their parents happy sometimes finds a little trouble along the way or their good intention goes wrong. I think these are th
digging-est Dog by Al Perkins was a great book growing up book that I read. I would recommend this to any kid or the parents of kids because you never know when your special ability. This book is about this dog that never got picked and the pet store but one day one kid came in a wanted to take this dog.
Maggie Klipp
In this story, a young boy adopts a dog. The dog looked sad and the boy felt bad for him. When the boy brings him home, he loves him and wants him to stay forever. He even teaches the dog how to dig. However, the dog has a problem. He cannot stop digging. He digs everything up and the boy gets mad at him for it. The dog continues to dig through the town and destroy all kinds of things. He then gets trapped in one of his own holes and his dog friends and boy have to help get him out. Then the dog ...more
Rachel Brokaw
The Digging-est Dog is simply a fun children's book to pass the time. I chose this book because some books stick out in children's minds and this is one that stuck out to me from when I was a child. It is an entertaining read for very young children.
The Digging-est Dog is about a boy's dog who starts digging, and he ends up digging up the whole town.

This book could be used to teach children that it's okay to do activities that you enjoy, but in moderation, and to know when to stop.
I imagine I would have given this book four, or even five, stars were it not for the sequence in which the dog's owner seems to utterly disown him. It was really upsetting when the boy threatened to return the dog to the stone-floor prison from where he had come. I would be reluctant to expose a child to that aspect of this otherwise utterly charming story.
Good for kindergarten and first grade. The story rhymes and has a lesson. When realizes he messed up, he good back and fixes it. Then he doesn't do it again.
Scott Hayden
I LOVE THIS BOOK! And Susanna the 5-year-old insisted it deserves 5 stars because "It's fun to read and it's exciting."

It is rich with examples of so many peacemaker principles.
- A good desire blown out of proportion.
- A community turning on one of its own.
- The necessity of community to rescue someone who's in too deep to help himself.
- How real repentance results in restitution.
- Restoration to usefulness.

One year, I read it to two fifth-grade classes within two weeks, to rapt attention. Yes,
One of my favorite books from my childhood. I have great memories of my dad reading this to me.
Diana Pettis
Beginner reader. I would recommend this for first or second graders especially if they like dogs.
Another one of my favorite childhood books. I can read this one with my eyes shut.
Owned by: Stephanie
Favorite book from childhood
I loved this book when I was little.
All about going too far.
This was supposedly the first book I ever read by myself... to this day, it is one of my favorite children's stories available. Though hard to find I bought a copy for when I have kids.

The poor puppy in the window who wants a home and some friends, and gets a bit over-excited about digging. But he learns his lesson in the end and has a home and friends to boot!

The drawings are adorable, the words are pretty easy for little ones, it is a wonderful book for your children.
Stig loves this one and makes me read it over and over. It's one of those cool Seuss books not by Seuss. It's about a dog in a petshop. A boy takes him home and introduces him to the neighborhood dogs. Every is disappointed that he can not dig. The boy works hard to teach him to dig and then he takes to digging and digs up the whole town. It's a cute and funny story, which of course has a good lesson in the end.
Jennifer Heise
This beginner book hasn't worn well. What I remember as a charming story was nearly annoying when I read it to my son, and he wasn't interested in hearing it again despite his fondness for digging stories and dogs.
Brian Harticat
This read held me to the end. It was like a comfy blanket. I was so proud of the dog and his accomplishments. Well, unless it was my yard he was digging in, then I would have slapped the crap out of him. I would have encouraged the dog to dig for treasure, that would be great. Also, to dig around my enemies homes, then they would be stranded, HA HA HA!
To sum it up, a must read.
  • Sam and the Firefly
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • Please Try to Remember the First of Octember!
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Snow (Beginner Books B-27)
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • Shoo, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #3)
  • The Hair Book (Bright & Early Book)
  • Young Cam Jansen and the Dinosaur Game (Young Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • The Golden Egg Book
Al Perkins is an author of several children's books, including the ever-popular Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb (1969), The Digging-est Dog (1967), and The Ear Book (1968).He also wrote early titles in the Beginner Books and Bright and Early series.
More about Al Perkins...
Hand, Hand, Fingers, Thumb The Ear Book (Bright & Early Books) The Nose Book (Bright and Early Books BE-8) Tubby and the Lantern Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #1)