Start by marking “May Bird, Warrior Princess (May Bird, #3)” as Want to Read:
May Bird, Warrior Princess (May Bird, #3)

May Bird, Warrior Princess (May Bird #3)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,690 ratings  ·  107 reviews
At Hog Wallow Middle School, May Ellen Bird was always slightly invisible. Then she went on a long trip to the land of the dead, where ghost towns glowed blue in the dark dusk and spooky specters dwelled in cities on the Dead Sea.

Back on Earth at last, May and her hairless cat, Somber Kitty, are now famous, their faces plastered across souvenirs and sportswear that read
Published September 18th 2007 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about May Bird, Warrior Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about May Bird, Warrior Princess

May Bird and the Ever After by Jodi Lynn AndersonGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardGabriel's Rapture by Sylvain ReynardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerAmong the Impostors by Margaret Peterson Haddix
books that put you in their shoes
19th out of 63 books — 18 voters
Coraline by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketMatilda by Roald DahlThe Witches by Roald Dahl
Best Books for Morbid Kids
140th out of 460 books — 290 voters

More lists with this book...

Becca
Oh my good God. I remember buying May Bird and the Ever After when I was 11. I loved it to tears (literally) and lent to my two best friends at the time, in succession, and we were all hooked. Being in the frenzy that I was, I found May Bird Among the Stars soon after and adored it just as much as I did the fist. The ending seemed so subtle, so complete in it's questions and answers left unsolved, that I didn't question my inner self telling me that it was just a two book sort of deal. So imagin ...more
Breana
As good as the other two. Its was great that May got to go back to the other world but i kinda thought Pumpkin should had talked to her without the dude.
Karen
I love Somber Kitty. He is an ugly, loyal, courageous cat. May Bird has to discover who she is. Pumpkin is a very cute sounding ghost. Have fun!
Evelyn
Veronica
I've never been so sad to see someone live to the end of their book.

This last in the May Bird series was a special treat, where May had a little more gumption, and isn't just ducking behind corners all the time. She was special from the beginning, just like any little girl with half of an imagination. In this installment, though, she was far more likeable than the first two books.

I would have wished for more conclusion. The deus ex machina at the end was a little too much, and I think it was onl
Clara
pietastic
It's a cute series and I would certainly recommend it to 10-15 year olds, especially who have even a hint of tendency toward dark humour. If you love skeletons at Halloween and don't mind taking a comical view of the afterlife, this one could be for you.

As an adult, it did fall short for me in a few ways. The plot points are a little too easily accomplished, the tone is not as fully realised as I would have liked (though there are certainly plenty of references and elements, the feeling isn't qu
Rachel
Keisha Keenleyside
May Bird Warrior Princess is the last of this pretty effin awesome trilogy.

Three Years later...

May after escaping the Ever After with her melancholy Kitty feels oddly out of place back home pretending to be a girl she will never be, and unable to talk about her adventure without looks of amusement or worry from her listeners. In fact May secretly wants to return to her real friends back in the after life.
With Ever After slowly being over ruled by Dark Spirits and a Spirit known as Bo Cleevil ru
Julia
This book was so awesome, too! I can't believe I'm just now remembering that I read it! This really surprised me because of the thing that happened at the beginning. Whoa did not see that coming!(Maybe I should have, though) I don't want to give it away, so that is why I am keeping it secret, though you'd find out soon enough if you read it.
Kassie K.
May's third book was not as good as the first two. The characters were clear, but I sometimes got confused with the settings. I like May better when she's 10, not 13. She seemed braver at age 10. But, besides that, it was a pretty good book. The end was especially exciting.
Hailey
i am extremely proud of May, for digging deep and finding her inner 'warrior princess'. I feel so bad for Pumpkin though, because he didnt really get any recognition in the whole save the world thing. all in all i do think the book couldve been better but i did like it.
Isabella
may bird was the very first big kid series i ever read when i was in 5th grade. it is the best kid series in my opinion! this is the last installment of the series when little may bird is all grown up! but she still has some ever after business to take care of!
Sara
Feb 26, 2009 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: late elementary & middle school students
S
So beautiful. The ending made me cry hard. I wish there was an epilouge kind of thing to the story - I didn't want it to end!

And I've noticed Anderson looks A LOT like May. Hmm. . . .
Adaraschia Wingit
This book was excellently written, but I don't like how May Bird got snappish with Pumpkin around the end, or the fact that he died. :(
bloop
Not giving the book a full five stars due to a few issues with it, which I will not mention because I want this review to be spoiler-free, but wow, it was a really good book.
I do not cry at books, I rarely even get damp eyes, but I spent nearly 20 minutes weeping at the end. Possibly more.
One thing I find though is that, despite being a novel for children, I would absolutely not let younger kids read this, due to the themes being quite depressing. I guess it was most likely not intended for youn
Hollowspine
May Bird is a bit of a reluctant hero, but if she believes in herself, or has to find a friend she will risk her life and fight to the end as we found out in the first two books. This book was no different. At first May struggles with the destiny laid out for her by the Book of the Dead, but as her adventure continues she raises to the challenges...but then everything comes crashing down when she learns that the Book of the Dead isn't always right. Sometimes it's completely wrong... I liked the ...more
Amanda
In this book May Bird returns to the Ever After only to discover that it has been taken over by Evil Bo Cleevil. It's now up to her and her friends to save the land of the dead.

This book was a great conclusion to a fantastic series. It was surprisingly fast-paced, never boring or slow, constantly packed full of action and adventure. The author kept the creativity going by making Warrior Princess just as unique and entertaining as the first two books. I loved the hilarious dialogue, the characte
Mrs W
Jan 19, 2013 Mrs W rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
May returns to the Ever After, where Evil Bo Cleevil’s reign has expanded. Much of what she remembers about the Ever After has changed. She is surrounded by enemies and doesn’t know where her friends are. Tacky malls are everywhere, and Bo Cleevil obviously has a bigger trick up his sleeve. Can May help the residents of the Ever After? Will she be able to be the warrior she’s supposed to become?
• No language or sexual issues
• Appropriate for younger audiences (5th grade or so), but also enjoyabl
Shirley Wagand
A well-written story with many complex themes and memorable characters. I felt that a few events needed a little more clarification like May's death and then her return to Earth to continue her life right where she left off.
Makenna
This was pretty disappointing. Nothing happened between Lucius and May, Pumpkin dies. And, in the end, May decides to become living again and stay on earth, and just be a normal girl. I just didn't enjoy this as much as I would've liked, I would've liked everything to end differently.
Princess
I gave 5 to the 2 first parts but decided for 4 star for the this third part, because the end made me cry :'( I cant satisfy myself with the it. Poor Pumpkin. Friendship shouldnt end like this, but to continue forever happily.
I imagine that the alternative ends would be like that May Bird still had her bow and arrows till she meet Bo Cleevil and finished him off with an arrow or that May or Pumpkin could have just thrown him off at that bridge. And then Pumpkin could get back to Arista and cont
Bailey
I was so sad after I read this. I wasn't disappointed, or mad, just really sad. I loved it!
Chelsea Lugo
May vs ALice

I loved how this book almost touches based with Alice in wondered.it's a good read overall.wished it had a little bit more actin though.
Lucy
Feb 08, 2015 Lucy added it
I vaguely remember reading this book, but from what I can remember, it was REALLY good.
Mandy Blackburn
I loved this whole series, funny and thought-provoking at the same time. IT can be slightly annoying with the anti-commercialism message, but it is fairly subtle so it does not interfere in the story-telling with any preaching. May Bird is a heroine that I could relate to, searching for a place to belong and having a parent that cannot seem to completely accept her for the way she is, but still loves her deeply. Some things were a bit hokey, but it did make the story more fun. I do recommend thi ...more
Scott Williams
11f1982c-42f4-4249-b21a-80f4ecf84221
Claire
Oh! It's all over! I admit I had a little cry about the ending (even though it was a mostly happy ending!)

SOMBER KITTY! SOMBER KITTY! Noooooo! I love that we found the animal spirits!

I have no words... I must buy this series!

It was her first ever real birthday party... aside from the ones attended only by cats named Legume or Somber Kitty. In fact, it was Somber Kitty who had talked her into this one by dragging his old party hat out of May's closet and carrying it around like a kitten, meowing
Flufflypickle
It was a good book... not so good as the others but I cried, I really did cry.... I guess it gives us a message at the end to never be mean to others since you never know when it is their last. Poor pumpkin, I wish there could've been more recognition... But doesn't it reflect our daily lives as well? Lovely yet I think a bit cracked end, but it does soothe the heart it different ways. Great book to read and nice message of finding ones inner confidence.... :c pumpkiinnn. 4/5
  • The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1)
  • Inuyasha Ani-Manga, Vol. 16
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy #3)
  • Gilda Joyce: Psychic Investigator (Gilda Joyce, #1)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Sylvie Cycle, #2)
  • The Well Between The Worlds (Lyonesse, #1)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • The Wizard, the Witch, and Two Girls from Jersey
  • Igraine the Brave
  • Stargazer (The Land of Elyon #4)
  • The Secret Country
  • Well Witched
  • Vampire Wars (Von Carstein, #1-3)
  • The King in the Window
  • The Haunting Of Freddy (The Golden Hamster Saga, #4)
I write books about vaguely magical peach orchards, resorts in the afterlife, enigmatic island princesses beloved by Tinkerbell, and...civics! I was an awkward and strange child who kept lots of secrets. Now I live with a sweet Basenji dog named Peanut who loves to eat shoes, and a sweet husband who is good at all the things I'm bad at, like being organized and thinking things through. I've loved ...more
More about Jodi Lynn Anderson...

May Bird (3 books)
  • May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird, #1)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)
Tiger Lily Peaches (Peaches, #1) The Secrets of Peaches (Peaches, #2) May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird, #1) May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)

“ And then a strong gust blew against her, and her feet slipped just slightly. She jerked forward against the railing, ever so softly. But, rotten, it crumbled like paper, and May and Kitty went sliding forward, right through it. May scrambled to stop herself, but it was too late.
They slid a few more feet, then fell off the edge of the roof.
They looked like blackbirds faliing out through the sky.”
6 likes