Start by marking “May Bird, Warrior Princess (May Bird, #3)” as Want to Read:
May Bird, Warrior Princess (May Bird, #3)

May Bird, Warrior Princess (May Bird #3)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  1,949 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
At Hog Wallow Middle School, May Ellen Bird was always slightly invisible. Then she went on a long trip to the land of the dead, where ghost towns glowed blue in the dark dusk and spooky specters dwelled in cities on the Dead Sea.

Back on Earth at last, May and her hairless cat, Somber Kitty, are now famous, their faces plastered across souvenirs and sportswear that read
Published September 18th 2007 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about May Bird, Warrior Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about May Bird, Warrior Princess

May Bird and the Ever After by Jodi Lynn AndersonHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardGabriel's Rapture by Sylvain ReynardTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
books that put you in their shoes
21st out of 63 books — 21 voters
Coraline by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Bad Beginning by Lemony SnicketMatilda by Roald DahlThe Witches by Roald Dahl
Best Books for Morbid Kids
172nd out of 478 books — 388 voters

More lists with this book...

May 06, 2013 Becca rated it it was amazing
Oh my good God. I remember buying May Bird and the Ever After when I was 11. I loved it to tears (literally) and lent to my two best friends at the time, in succession, and we were all hooked. Being in the frenzy that I was, I found May Bird Among the Stars soon after and adored it just as much as I did the fist. The ending seemed so subtle, so complete in it's questions and answers left unsolved, that I didn't question my inner self telling me that it was just a two book sort of deal. So imagin ...more
Apr 09, 2014 Clara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Mar 02, 2009 Breana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: action
As good as the other two. Its was great that May got to go back to the other world but i kinda thought Pumpkin should had talked to her without the dude.
Oct 21, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
I love Somber Kitty. He is an ugly, loyal, courageous cat. May Bird has to discover who she is. Pumpkin is a very cute sounding ghost. Have fun!
Jun 07, 2016 Kailey rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
A solid ending to this great trilogy! May is back in the Ever After, reunited with her ghostly friends, and hunted and hounded by her enemies once again. The plot moves quickly with tons of quirky and hilarious scenes. My favorite characters are back with the silly dialogue and camaraderie that warms my heart!

May is definitely a winsome character. She wants so badly to be "good", to be brave, to be what her friends need her to be; but she also has this wild nature that leaves her fighting agains
Jun 27, 2010 Evelyn rated it it was ok
Apr 15, 2013 Veronica rated it liked it
I've never been so sad to see someone live to the end of their book.

This last in the May Bird series was a special treat, where May had a little more gumption, and isn't just ducking behind corners all the time. She was special from the beginning, just like any little girl with half of an imagination. In this installment, though, she was far more likeable than the first two books.

I would have wished for more conclusion. The deus ex machina at the end was a little too much, and I think it was onl
May 04, 2015 pietastic rated it liked it
It's a cute series and I would certainly recommend it to 10-15 year olds, especially who have even a hint of tendency toward dark humour. If you love skeletons at Halloween and don't mind taking a comical view of the afterlife, this one could be for you.

As an adult, it did fall short for me in a few ways. The plot points are a little too easily accomplished, the tone is not as fully realised as I would have liked (though there are certainly plenty of references and elements, the feeling isn't qu
Dec 26, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Keisha Keenleyside
Mar 01, 2014 Keisha Keenleyside rated it it was amazing
May Bird Warrior Princess is the last of this pretty effin awesome trilogy.

Three Years later...

May after escaping the Ever After with her melancholy Kitty feels oddly out of place back home pretending to be a girl she will never be, and unable to talk about her adventure without looks of amusement or worry from her listeners. In fact May secretly wants to return to her real friends back in the after life.
With Ever After slowly being over ruled by Dark Spirits and a Spirit known as Bo Cleevil ru
Apr 25, 2010 Julia rated it it was amazing
This book was so awesome, too! I can't believe I'm just now remembering that I read it! This really surprised me because of the thing that happened at the beginning. Whoa did not see that coming!(Maybe I should have, though) I don't want to give it away, so that is why I am keeping it secret, though you'd find out soon enough if you read it.
Kassie K.
Dec 29, 2008 Kassie K. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, fantasy-sci-fi
May's third book was not as good as the first two. The characters were clear, but I sometimes got confused with the settings. I like May better when she's 10, not 13. She seemed braver at age 10. But, besides that, it was a pretty good book. The end was especially exciting.
Sep 23, 2012 Hailey rated it liked it
Shelves: pretty-cool
i am extremely proud of May, for digging deep and finding her inner 'warrior princess'. I feel so bad for Pumpkin though, because he didnt really get any recognition in the whole save the world thing. all in all i do think the book couldve been better but i did like it.
Jun 29, 2012 Isabella rated it it was amazing
may bird was the very first big kid series i ever read when i was in 5th grade. it is the best kid series in my opinion! this is the last installment of the series when little may bird is all grown up! but she still has some ever after business to take care of!
May 13, 2016 Alexis rated it it was amazing
I love this book! There was only one thing that I did not like it was towards the end and involved a rocket. Other than that five stars pumpkin is a huge hero. Kitty meets someone new. And the crew is back pumpkin may Fabbio Beatrice.
Feb 26, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: late elementary & middle school students
Feb 27, 2010 S rated it it was amazing
So beautiful. The ending made me cry hard. I wish there was an epilouge kind of thing to the story - I didn't want it to end!

And I've noticed Anderson looks A LOT like May. Hmm. . . .
Adaraschia Wingit
May 26, 2010 Adaraschia Wingit rated it really liked it
This book was excellently written, but I don't like how May Bird got snappish with Pumpkin around the end, or the fact that he died. :(
Apr 01, 2014 bloop rated it really liked it
Not giving the book a full five stars due to a few issues with it, which I will not mention because I want this review to be spoiler-free, but wow, it was a really good book.
I do not cry at books, I rarely even get damp eyes, but I spent nearly 20 minutes weeping at the end. Possibly more.
One thing I find though is that, despite being a novel for children, I would absolutely not let younger kids read this, due to the themes being quite depressing. I guess it was most likely not intended for youn
Jul 09, 2015 Hollowspine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
May Bird is a bit of a reluctant hero, but if she believes in herself, or has to find a friend she will risk her life and fight to the end as we found out in the first two books. This book was no different. At first May struggles with the destiny laid out for her by the Book of the Dead, but as her adventure continues she raises to the challenges...but then everything comes crashing down when she learns that the Book of the Dead isn't always right. Sometimes it's completely wrong... I liked the ...more
Nov 02, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
In this book May Bird returns to the Ever After only to discover that it has been taken over by Evil Bo Cleevil. It's now up to her and her friends to save the land of the dead.

This book was a great conclusion to a fantastic series. It was surprisingly fast-paced, never boring or slow, constantly packed full of action and adventure. The author kept the creativity going by making Warrior Princess just as unique and entertaining as the first two books. I loved the hilarious dialogue, the characte
Mrs W
Jan 19, 2013 Mrs W rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
May returns to the Ever After, where Evil Bo Cleevil’s reign has expanded. Much of what she remembers about the Ever After has changed. She is surrounded by enemies and doesn’t know where her friends are. Tacky malls are everywhere, and Bo Cleevil obviously has a bigger trick up his sleeve. Can May help the residents of the Ever After? Will she be able to be the warrior she’s supposed to become?
• No language or sexual issues
• Appropriate for younger audiences (5th grade or so), but also enjoyabl
Scott Whitney
Sep 18, 2015 Scott Whitney rated it it was amazing
The story ends on a great note and the last book is the best one in the series. I loved the characters and the story itself. The climax is unexpected and the resolution is fulfilling. I highly recommend this book to my students and this will have a place in my classroom library.
Shirley Wagand
Aug 01, 2014 Shirley Wagand rated it really liked it
A well-written story with many complex themes and memorable characters. I felt that a few events needed a little more clarification like May's death and then her return to Earth to continue her life right where she left off.
Jul 15, 2014 Lula rated it it was ok
This was pretty disappointing. Nothing happened between Lucius and May, Pumpkin dies. And, in the end, May decides to become living again and stay on earth, and just be a normal girl. I just didn't enjoy this as much as I would've liked, I would've liked everything to end differently.
Jennifer Heise
This last book in the trilogy about a young girl who may be destined to save the wierd and wonderful land of ghosts/dead, The Ever After, has many good bits, and a lot of the details are intriguing. It's a good wind-up to the trilogy (except for the very, final, end, which made me screech with disapproval. That, my dears, is a Bridge Too Far.) Anyway, there are lots of good bits, even if it sometimes felt they'd been dumped in a bag together, shaken, and spilled out helter-skelter in lieu of plo ...more
Jul 06, 2013 Princess rated it really liked it
I gave 5 to the 2 first parts but decided for 4 star for the this third part, because the end made me cry :'( I cant satisfy myself with the it. Poor Pumpkin. Friendship shouldnt end like this, but to continue forever happily.
I imagine that the alternative ends would be like that May Bird still had her bow and arrows till she meet Bo Cleevil and finished him off with an arrow or that May or Pumpkin could have just thrown him off at that bridge. And then Pumpkin could get back to Arista and cont
Oct 15, 2016 Jay rated it it was amazing
I read the first book in this series when I was younger and I'm so glad I read the rest now. It's the type of fantasy book that knows how silly it is and puts its own cute twists on old ideas. I love the characters and really cared for them throughout the story. It's a great book to escape reality without being too serious. For instance, May must save the world from demons that seek to.. make spirits pick up dirty laundry. It's adorable and has great lessons about life and friendship. I can see ...more
Mar 30, 2015 Bailey rated it it was amazing
I was so sad after I read this. I wasn't disappointed, or mad, just really sad. I loved it!
Chelsea Lugo
Sep 13, 2014 Chelsea Lugo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
May vs ALice

I loved how this book almost touches based with Alice in's a good read overall.wished it had a little bit more actin though.
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • The Way of the Wilderking (The Wilderking Trilogy, #3)
  • Stargazer (The Land of Elyon #4)
  • The Shadow World (The Eidolon Chronicles)
  • Lionboy
  • The Ruby Key (Moon & Sun, #1)
  • High Wire (Edgar & Ellen, #5)
  • Into the Labyrinth (The Sylvie Cycle, #2)
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • The King in the Window
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ghost Sonata  (Gilda Joyce, #3)
  • Standard Hero Behavior
  • Vampire Wars (Von Carstein, #1-3)
  • Bizenghast, Volume 5 (Bizenghast, #5)
  • The Wizard, the Witch, and Two Girls from Jersey
  • Green Smoke
  • Scaredy Kat (Suddenly Supernatural #2)
I write books about vaguely magical peach orchards, resorts in the afterlife, enigmatic island princesses beloved by Tinkerbell, and...civics! I was an awkward and strange child who kept lots of secrets. Now I live with a sweet Basenji dog named Peanut who loves to eat shoes, and a sweet husband who is good at all the things I'm bad at, like being organized and thinking things through. I've loved ...more
More about Jodi Lynn Anderson...

May Bird (3 books)
  • May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird, #1)
  • May Bird Among the Stars (May Bird, #2)

“ And then a strong gust blew against her, and her feet slipped just slightly. She jerked forward against the railing, ever so softly. But, rotten, it crumbled like paper, and May and Kitty went sliding forward, right through it. May scrambled to stop herself, but it was too late.
They slid a few more feet, then fell off the edge of the roof.
They looked like blackbirds faliing out through the sky.”