Start by marking “How to Write and Sell Historical Fiction” as Want to Read:
How to Write and Sell Historical Fiction

How to Write and Sell Historical Fiction

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Woolley's one-of-a-kind guide teaches writers the fundamentals specific to creating compelling and accurate historical fiction.
Published March 1st 2001 by Walking Stick Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about How to Write and Sell Historical Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write and Sell Historical Fiction

Eileen Iciek
A bit dated at this time, but when you are just starting out, a Godsend. Best piece of advice: if you are writing historical fiction, the first thing you should do is go out a buy a bookshelf. She was right. I had just been accumulating piles of books on the subject I wanted to write about. The bookshelf helped me get more organized.
Laure Estep

Informative, thoughtful, yet still warm and inviting text. It feels like an intimate workshop or chat with an expert author on the art and techniques of historical fiction. Plenty of useful tips -- I found the section on organizing research to be particularly helpful -- and examples to illustrate her points. Lots to learn and to think about.

The book was printed in the 90's and the section on publication is a bit out of date. I'd love to see this updated with info on utilizing the inte
Phillip McCollum
Slightly dated, but an okay reference for those seeking to write historical fiction. Woolley provides a wide breadth of advice, starting with the basics of defining the genre and research methods, taking the reader through actually writing their novel and then finishing with discussions on seeking agents and editors.

Most of the best advice is given through her personal experiences, such as when touring locations, probing people like bus drivers for tips about locally known places and legends.

This book has been a help in my quest to write a historical novel based on an anecdote from my family history. Ms. Wooley provides detailed instruction, advice, and encouragement to the aspiring historic novelist.

Although a few years old, the book is still current enough to be applicable in her advice on computer use, although I found her reliance on paper notebooks and files, well, historical.

She provided useful information about the experience of finding an agent and what happens when you get
Hilariously out-dated in some ways, but really interesting in others. I intended to skim this and ended up reading the whole thing.
This was very helpful. It's a little out of date--advising the use of floppy disks, etc.--but was helpful for structuring a book.
A good read for anyone thinking about writing a historical novel.
Good information for aspiring novels on how to sell and write.
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2015
Amanda  Lyons
Amanda Lyons marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Donna Pryer
Donna Pryer marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
W.D. Laremore
W.D. Laremore marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Janina Edwards
Janina Edwards marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Heather V
Heather V marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Tiffany B.
Tiffany B. marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015