Start by marking “Diary of an Emotional Idiot: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Diary of an Emotional Idiot: A Novel

Diary of an Emotional Idiot: A Novel

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  282 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
Hello, my name is Zoe and this is my book. It is a document of Emotional Idiocy told in two parts. There is the "then" part, which explains how I got here, and there is the "now" part, which documents what I am doing here. At the moment, I am sitting at my desk naked but for some men's boxer shorts and many silver bracelets. I like to see myself in men's underwear. I like ...more
Published July 28th 1998 by Harmony (first published February 25th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Diary of an Emotional Idiot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Diary of an Emotional Idiot

Ian Gabogovinanana
Mar 10, 2014 Ian Gabogovinanana rated it really liked it
Walking the Serrated Edges of Intimacy

"I looked at the ceiling, as if its cracks would let in crevices of some weird heaven. "

Zoe spends her twenties progressing from speed freak punk chick, via post-punk detox good looks, to psycho existentialist, while experimenting in emotionless fucking with anyone who has a perverted appeal: "Sometimes the grotesque is incredibly erotic."

90's New York is like the 50's Morocco of William Burroughs and Paul Bowles where "Brilliant White Perverts" come "to
Fewlas
Dec 03, 2012 Fewlas rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: donne, americana
Quello che mi aspettavo da una che si definisce un’idiota emotiva era una serie interminabile di paranoiche introspezioni emotive, di lunghi sproloqui emotivi. Invece mi sono ritrovata a leggere le parole di una ragazza che sinceramente l’unica cosa che sa fare bene è compilare una lunga lista di quello che la caratterizza e che come unica utilità ha quella di far venire l’acquolina in “bocca” a qualche maschietto sedicenne in cerca di “amore”. Ce le ha tutte: ovviamente è bisessuale, è una punk ...more
Meg
- feminist
- better
Esther
Aug 15, 2009 Esther rated it it was amazing
I must have read this book at least 4 consecutive times during my teen years. Its racy, witty, fast, "raw", and touches on all things forbidden. It explores the psyche of an emotional idiot, thus the title, that is a young woman who is lets her self be carried by corrupt forces and hurts herself in the process. Interestingly, there is a great sense of detachment between the situations that she experiences and the narrative she shares. It is written as somewhat of a diary so the narrative is fran ...more
EriN
Aug 31, 2008 EriN rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the bad kids that grew up in the 90's, even the wanna be bad kids
This book reminded me to read some fiction. It was the first novel I had picked up in a long time, and I couldn't put it down till I was done, just because I had to see what the hell was going to happen next with the main character.

This is a "takes one to know one" type of book, and if you don't identify with the character, I think you'll find the book annoying. However, if you too are an emotional idiot that knows what it's like to stay awake for days, hallucinate bugs in your skin, and genera
Betsy
Oct 08, 2008 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008-read-in
Maggie Estep has a raw, intuitive writing style. She is not technically perfect, and it doesn't matter. This book first caught me at the perfect time in my personal development--like Catcher in the Rye or Atlas Shrugged or The Handmaid's Tale--and it is a perennial favorite.

Estep assails our senses with the rough and tumble history of her lovers, including a thinly veiled Mike Doughty as "Bev" from the band "Lotus Crew". It should be essential reading to all Soul Coughing fans, really, because o
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Stupid stupid stupid. I hate when crap masquerades as ‘literature. Like oh, you have had such a hard life, so lets be all over dramatic about it. Nothing happens in books like these. Luckily, they are pretty short and quick to get through, so I think I wasted like a day on this. I don’t know why I picked it up. I don’t think it was on my list, but I think because it sort of had to do with NY, so I sparked my interest. Otherwise, no thank you.

Grade: D
Michelle
Jun 19, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing
I read this book a long time ago and loved it. Unfortunately I forgot the name and the author and have been looking for it for at least the past 10 years. I loved the writing style and loved the book and now that I finally found the title, I'm going to have to get another copy of this book. It's a fun fast read, and kind of a roller coaster ride. My suggestion is to find it and read, now, today!
AJ
Oct 07, 2009 AJ rated it it was amazing
I have a fondness for this book - I read it while going through a difficult breakup and Maggie's words kept me less lonely.

It's raw, bare, and written exactly in the right voice. It's a book that throws things in your face and doesn't apologize for it and it still comes off as honest. And the main character's insecurities make the reflecton somehow bearable.
Christopher
Oct 12, 2007 Christopher rated it it was ok
Eh. (Insightful, I know.)
Natalie
Dec 02, 2008 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: female-pen
I'm re-reading "Outlaw Bible of American Literature", which contains an excerpt from this book. It was outrageously funny. I like Maggie's spoken word, as well, so I intend to hunt down this one.

3/15: Finished this a couple of days ago. It's entertaining enough, though the endless hook-ups/break-ups/Gen-X emotional turmoil gets a bit irritating; the narrator lets the reader know up front, however, and in the title even that she is an "emotional idiot", so I tried keeping that in mind. The periph
LadyReezy
This book came out when I was sixteen. I should've read it then. It's delightful, in a mid-90s guilty-pleasure sort of way. Estep is obsessed with using the words "maw" and "paw" for "mouth" and "hand," respectively. Also, she drops $5 words every chance she gets, as if to remind us that she should be taken seriously, despite writing this book. Wow, was that harsh? Therapy has ruined carefree novels about junkies and sex addicts for me, perhaps.
Anina
Jan 22, 2009 Anina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fiction
This is a re-read. It is an all time favorite and I recently bought myself a copy because it's going out of print.

It's really not for everyone. And it's really not that awesome. It's a cult classic, or at least, I am betting it is. There's a lot of shock for the sake of shock, which I usually am not a fan of. However, this book is sort of canonical in a genre I can't really define. Something like the trashy hipster version of urban fiction.
Beth
Nov 13, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
This book was very disturbing to me. I'm not sure why...I think that it reminded me in someways of my life. Im not sure how--I'm not a dope fiend. I don't know but it really disturbed me yet I couldn't put it down. Very quick read about a girl, her life, her parents, her drugs, and her boys.
Sara Gran
Sep 07, 2010 Sara Gran rated it it was amazing
I cannot put into words how much I love everything Maggie Estep writes.
Misti Rainwater-Lites
Mar 24, 2014 Misti Rainwater-Lites rated it did not like it
I read this novel a few years ago and had forgotten I read it. I read it again last month and remembered why I'd forgotten. It's a typical Generation X narrative. The characters are screwed up for various reasons but it's terribly transgressive because the characters play in terribly clever rock bands and engage in terribly transgressive sex and of course they have tattoos and of course they do all kinds of drugs so people like Henry Rollins slobber all over it and declare it Bold Transgressive ...more
Lorra Fae
Mar 11, 2014 Lorra Fae rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure about this book at first...I actually almost gave up on it, but I am glad I persisted, because it's hilarious with so many bizarre and crazy characters. Loved it.
coccinella felice
Jan 25, 2016 coccinella felice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1stellina
Probabilmente le mie aspettative su questo libro erano un po’ troppo alte. L’ho cercato per settimane dopo aver letto il primo capitolo, e quando finalmente l’ho trovato mi ci sono buttata a capofitto. Delusione. All’inizio brillante, poi diventa una malacopia dei ragazzi dello zoo di Berlino. Un po’ troppo psicoterapia del tossico ninfomane, ridotta ad una serie di avventure buttate lì a caso come in una centrifuga. E anche l’ironia delle prime pagine si rivela essere tale solo nelle prime pagi ...more
Dan Burt
Aug 25, 2015 Dan Burt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
4.5 stars.
Christina
May 18, 2007 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fiction
A (self)love story... kinda. I cannot explain why I love this book, but I found it easy to identify with, though there is some suspension of the imagination. If you have thought "What was I thinking? Maybe it was the drugs..." this is the book for you.
Meagan
Aug 27, 2008 Meagan rated it liked it
Shelves: weird
This one was strange and something I wouldn't normally read. My sister gave it to me for Christmas one year and while I enjoyed it and enjoyed the fact that it let me see what kind of books she likes, it was just a little too weird for my tastes.
Noelle
May 08, 2008 Noelle rated it it was amazing
I loved this book in high school (I bought it b/c the title is clever) but I've since lost it, so I don't know how well it stands the test of puberty.
Mattia
Oct 18, 2012 Mattia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sono passati diversi anni ormai,eppure sono arciconvinto che da qualche parte nel mondo c'è una Zoe che non aspetta altro che io la trovi!
Steven
Feb 19, 2008 Steven rated it it was amazing
Wonderful story, there is a lot to be said for a poets first novels. Beyond the titles obvious attraction this really is a must read.
Coffeemug13
May 15, 2012 Coffeemug13 rated it it was ok
You would kthink a story about a woman hiding in her ex's closet would be interesting. Instead it was dry and kind of predictable.
Amanda
Aug 03, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memiors
This book is absolutly fabulous! I found it on a bargain book rack, it seemed a little interesting, so I bought it, boy am I glad I did.
Amy Rollo
Nov 13, 2008 Amy Rollo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who find themselves better off alone
Minus the drug addictions, this book was extremely relatable. Emotional idiocy is something I'm quite familiar with.
Sarah Mae
Dec 05, 2008 Sarah Mae rated it it was amazing
I read this book almost a decade ago, and I'm reminded of it on almost a daily basis. It's a great book.
Abby Sominski
Mar 31, 2008 Abby Sominski rated it it was ok
This was not a book that spoke to me personally but I feel certain people I know should read it.
Tara
Mar 07, 2010 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite books!! I really like Misty's writing style.
  • Going Down
  • Jesus Hopped the A Train
  • The Real Bettie Page: The Truth About the Queen of Pinups
  • David Sedaris: Live at Carnegie Hall/Live for Your Listening Pleasure (Audio CD)
  • Dakota (Andi Oliver, #2)
  • The Pirate's Daughter
  • Roget's College Thesaurus in Dictionary Form, The New American: Revised and Enlarged Edition
  • Sarah Conley
  • Right Before Your Eyes
  • The Secret Letters: of Marilyn Monroe and Jacqueline Kennedy
  • Still Life With Brass Pole
  • The Truth About Us
Maggie Estep grew up moving throughout the US and France with her nomadic horse trainer parents. She attended the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics in Boulder, Co. and received a B.A. in Literature from The State University of New York.

Before publishing her first novel, Maggie worked as a horse groom, a go-go dancer, a dishwasher, a nurse's aide, and a box factory worker. Maggie has publi
More about Maggie Estep...