On Writing for Children and Other People

On Writing for Children and Other People

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  4 reviews
"For the past forty-seven years I have devoted most of my time and energy to writing. It has been a vocation in the original sense of the word, that is a religious calling, one I was helpless to deny. For me writing has never been about self-expression. Writing has been about tending the spirit and making real the soul."
So says Julius Lester in the introduction to this ex...more
Published October 7th 2004 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about On Writing for Children and Other People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Writing for Children and Other People

Amanda Coppedge
On Writing for Children and Other People by Julius Lester. What a great memoir by a great children's writer. Sad that this seems to be his declaration that he is done with writing. Then again, he could change his mind. This book is not just about his writing. It's about his faith--growing up black in the south, the son of a preacher, and converting to Judaism when he was an adult. It also seems to be his attempt to set the record straight or let his feelings be known. There are several short ch...more
Tracey Baptiste
This was given to me by the good folks at F1rstPages. Even if I wasn't a writer I would have enjoyed this one. It's really about Lester's writing life with as much advice as you can take from his own story (and there's quite a lot). He also has a very unique and interesting perspecitve on life and people. It was interesting to read about a favorite author of mine who, as he contemplates the end of his life, is also considering ending his career in favor of introspection.
Lynda E.H.
Julius Lester encourages others that people are stories. It seems every where he went there was a story. He's also re-written some children's literature. Some of his titles sounded very familiar. His writing style keeps your attention, it is a book that is hard to put down. You could picture the people he wrote about in his book.
Kate
Not just a book about the writing life, but a meditation on aging wisely and well.
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Aimee Davis
Aimee Davis marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2013
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2012
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2010
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2010
Bri  Ahearn
Bri Ahearn marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2010
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2009
xXRossiya AruXx
xXRossiya AruXx marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2009
Marybeth
Marybeth marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2009
I was born on January 27, 1939 in St. Louis, Missouri. From 1941-1954 I lived in Kansas City, Kansas, and from 1954-1961 in Nashville, Tennesse. I received a B.A. in English from Fisk University in 1960.

In 1961 I moved to New York City where I had a talk radio show on WBAI FM from 1966-1973, hosted a television talk show on WNET from 1969-1971.

Since 1968 I have published 43 books. Among the awards...more
More about Julius Lester...
Day of Tears John Henry To Be a Slave When Dad Killed Mom Cupid: A Tale of Love and Desire