CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions

CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  501 ratings  ·  36 reviews
This book is your indispensable guide to cutting-edge CSS developmentall you need to work your way up to CSS professional. You'll learn how to:
- Plan, organize, and maintain your stylesheets more effectively
- Apply the secrets of liquid, elastic, and hybrid layouts
- Create flickr-style image maps, remote rollovers, and other advanced CSS features
- Lay out forms using pure...more
Published February 7th 2006 by friendsofED (first published January 1st 2006)

Don't Make Me Think by Steve KrugHTML5 For Web Designers by Jeremy KeithThe Art and Science of CSS by Cameron AdamsDesigning With Web Standards by Jeffrey ZeldmanJavaScript by Douglas Crockford
Web Development
12th out of 69 books — 37 voters
Design Basics Index by Jim KrauseThe Zen of CSS Design by Dave SheaD.I.Y. by Ellen LuptonTranscending CSS by Andy ClarkeThe Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman
Best Design Books
16th out of 77 books — 48 voters

More lists with this book...

Erik Mallinson
Mar 27, 2008 Erik Mallinson rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Web designers who consider themselves advanced, or want to.
Shelves: computers, design
I loved this book. If you've done a bunch of CSS but have some problems that you'd like to tackle once and for all (EM layouts, for example) then this book is a great reference. It's definitely a go-to book for common web problems regarding layout, box inheritance, etc.
Chiel
A fine book for everybody working with CSS, great examples.
Though I must add I learned that learning CSS is like learning to ride a bike, one can read about it but only learn by doing it.
Nathan
One of the better beginners CSS books I've come across. If you are just starting CSS and feel like you're not making enough progress, definitely check this book out.
Charles
Jul 07, 2008 Charles rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Web Designers
Recommended to Charles by: Amazon.com
Shelves: web-design
This book has really fine tuned my arsenal and widely broadened my understanding of CSS. The book has several nicely organized sections and comes with files that allow you quick references and opportunities to play with the code for a better understanding. Case studies at the end of the book are a great companion for putting all the things they throw at you too. My favorite part of this book was the CSS organization files that are ingenious. To sum up the book in a few words, CSS galore!

Not a fa...more
Rachel Nabors
Oct 14, 2008 Rachel Nabors rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: web designers, web developers
Shelves: reference
A perfect follow-up to Friends of Ed's "yellow CSS book" which is more basic (but whose title escapes me).

This is not a beginner's CSS book. You should at least read the yellow book or "Bullet Proof Web Design" before tackling this one, which builds heavily off the core concepts you should have already learned.

It covers everything from layouts, to browser hacks, even showing you how to add little icons at the end of external links. Nifty, huh!

This book is absolutely necessary if you are in web d...more
Kal Ström
The book suffers from sloppy editing, which is particularly unacceptable since it's a revised edition. Also it's much too noticeable when the authors change between chapters both in coding style and in language. An overall editor is sorely missed.

That said the coding techniques covered is nice and useable, however not that much CSS Mastery as I expected.
Michael
Overall, I thought it a very handy reference tool for a barely CSS literate person like myself. My only complaints are that is seems to be getting a little out dated. He mentions things such as CSS 3 and how it was supposed to come out later that year (2006). He also spends a lot of time talking about bugs associated with IE, especially 5.X which from my understanding is rarely used these days with the release of IE 7.0 (which he can't mention). Other than that, it was a good eye opener into my...more
Mark
This is one of the better introductory CSS books out there. As with most, the information is available on the Net if you want to spend the time hunting it down. Andy Budd goes beyond many such online resources by providing insight into common problems and several tips on how to optimize solutions for some common CSS approaches. Overall, worth the money to have on your reference shelf.
Shaan
To be honest, I had no idea what I was doing with CSS until I read this book. Got me quickly up to speed on the basics and then learned all the advanced techniques. Important areas that always confused me such as floating and positioning are completely clear now. And now I understand how to work with different browsers as well. Great book!
Janis
Very good, although a bit out of date as IE7 wasn't out yet. Would benefit from a revision. Explores some concepts more widely than Bulletproof Web Design, although I must say that it doesn't demonstrate the markup and markup changes as well as the other. Both books overlap in large areas, but each has its own strong point.
Jolyon
an excellent guide to producing CSS styled HTML pages with concise examples and explanations of the Box Model and more with consideration on how to work around the major Internet Explorer bugs and how to design new pages from the bottom up quickly and flexibly.
I am already really familiar with CSS but this book really takes it to the next step. Really easy to follow with great case studies. I highly recommend the friends of ed books, http://www.friendsofed.com/ for web designers.
Seth Kenlon
Excellent book. It has taught me nearly everything I know about basic CSS; combined with some help from some online friends and good old fashioned practice (it makes perfect, you know?) I'm a competent CSS coder.
David Sutoyo
Jan 20, 2008 David Sutoyo rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: CSS novices
In my case, this book was literally life-changing. It filled in a lot of gaps in my CSS knowledge, and gave me the right start towards my web design/development career.
Chris
I loved this book so much I bought it after returning it to the library. All the cool CSS layout tricks and hacks in one volume, written in plain, friendly English.
Helen
This is an awesome book esp for daily tackles w/browser compatibility and standard compliant issues. At my job I keep this book by my side at all times!
Spencer
I found many sections of this book useful, especially the explanation of float. Then it spends far too much time on hacks and workarounds.
Darrin Hawe
When I was trying to learn CSS, this book had some really good ideas for development. Book presents topics well and understandably.
Krista Ehlers
An excellent introduction to CSS, but with enough high-level tips to keep up with standards-based web development now.
Neil Evridge
Great book for beginning to learn CSS all the way through some advanced stuff. Excellent authors and web developers.
Caroline Millgårdh
Outdated (2006). This is what happens when you leave a web dev book on the shelf unread for too long... ;-)
Paolo
Tecniche avanzate per fogli di stile che sfruttano tutto il potenziale nascosto del linguaggio dei CSS.
Will Meurer
Nov 13, 2008 Will Meurer rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Developers/Designers with intermediate CSS knowledge
Strengthened my knowledge of CSS. This book makes sense of layout, box, and other nebulous topics.
Leslie
Dec 02, 2010 Leslie marked it as to-read
Shelves: web-dev
Again, I haven't had the time I'd like to start this book. I'm looking forward to it though.
Bryony
Equally good for bed-time reading and reference. Very easily read and understood.
Kelli
I bought this book in 2006 and find I still refer to it. Excellent resource!
Lisa Shiel
Very helpful. Great info, presented in an easy-to-follow format.
Nicki Hutchens
Very helpful. Need to read it again since it has been a while.
Dave Brenner
A must have for any serious CSS developer.
One of my favorite books in the world.
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • Responsive Web Design
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
CSS Mastery Sams Teach Yourself CSS in 10 Minutes Blog Design Solutions CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions Web Standards Creativity: Innovations in Web Design with XHTML, CSS, and DOM Scripting