Start by marking “CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions” as Want to Read:
CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions

CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions

This book is your indispensable guide to cutting-edge CSS developmentall you need to work your way up to CSS professional. You'll learn how to:
- Plan, organize, and maintain your stylesheets more effectively
- Apply the secrets of liquid, elastic, and hybrid layouts
- Create flickr-style image maps, remote rollovers, and other advanced CSS features
- Lay out forms using pure
Published February 1st 2006 by Friends of ED (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about CSS Mastery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CSS Mastery

Don't Make Me Think by Steve KrugHTML5 for Web Designers by Jeremy KeithJavaScript by David FlanaganThe Art & Science of CSS by Cameron AdamsDesigning With Web Standards by Jeffrey Zeldman
Web Development
12th out of 73 books — 54 voters
Design Basics Index by Jim KrauseThe Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. NormanThe Zen of CSS Design by Dave SheaThe Elements of Typographic Style by Robert BringhurstD.I.Y. by Ellen Lupton
Best Design Books
20th out of 82 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Prahlad Yeri
Nov 23, 2015 Prahlad Yeri rated it it was amazing
This book is THE correct way CSS should be learned and taught. Like many Web Developers I used to have a "snippet" approach to CSS design. Since I am primarily a backend PHP developer, I didn't spare much thought when it came to CSS and preferred to copy-paste things from places like css-tricks and bootply.

This book goes into the core of CSS and lucidly explains everything from semantic web and layouts to resets, cascading, selectors, etc. and finally also gives us those "tricks" for stuff like
Jan 19, 2016 Top rated it it was amazing
Although it sounds like a cliché, "CSS Mastery" is an excellent book, from the first to the last page. Most of book is written by Andy Budd, with Cameron Moll and Simon Collison contributing with final two chapters.

As easy as it is to find lot of content on Internet that would educate user what can be done with CSS, there's something special to have a book to articulate concepts from beginning to end providing a consistent narrative of the thought and methodology behind some technique's implemen
Erik Mallinson
Mar 27, 2008 Erik Mallinson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Web designers who consider themselves advanced, or want to.
Shelves: design, computers
I loved this book. If you've done a bunch of CSS but have some problems that you'd like to tackle once and for all (EM layouts, for example) then this book is a great reference. It's definitely a go-to book for common web problems regarding layout, box inheritance, etc.
Dec 01, 2008 Chiel rated it liked it
Shelves: study, design, development, cmd
A fine book for everybody working with CSS, great examples.
Though I must add I learned that learning CSS is like learning to ride a bike, one can read about it but only learn by doing it.
Aug 08, 2010 Nathan rated it really liked it
One of the better beginners CSS books I've come across. If you are just starting CSS and feel like you're not making enough progress, definitely check this book out.
Jul 07, 2008 Charles rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Web Designers
Recommended to Charles by:
Shelves: web-design
This book has really fine tuned my arsenal and widely broadened my understanding of CSS. The book has several nicely organized sections and comes with files that allow you quick references and opportunities to play with the code for a better understanding. Case studies at the end of the book are a great companion for putting all the things they throw at you too. My favorite part of this book was the CSS organization files that are ingenious. To sum up the book in a few words, CSS galore!

Not a fa
Marlon Bernardes
May 09, 2016 Marlon Bernardes rated it liked it
This book was really good some years ago, but things have changed so fast in web development that this book is almost completely outdated nowadays. There are a lot of references to old browsers (IE 6, for example) and old hacks that are no longer necessary.

The 3rd chapter - "Visual Formatting Model Overview" - is still relevant and I recommend it.
Aug 02, 2015 Joe rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The best part is the testing / debugging suite. The solutions and technologies are already dated, of course, but the high-level concepts are invaluable.
Rachel Nabors
Oct 14, 2008 Rachel Nabors rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: web designers, web developers
A perfect follow-up to Friends of Ed's "yellow CSS book" which is more basic (but whose title escapes me).

This is not a beginner's CSS book. You should at least read the yellow book or "Bullet Proof Web Design" before tackling this one, which builds heavily off the core concepts you should have already learned.

It covers everything from layouts, to browser hacks, even showing you how to add little icons at the end of external links. Nifty, huh!

This book is absolutely necessary if you are in web d
Rakesh Gopal
Feb 19, 2015 Rakesh Gopal rated it it was amazing
This book will truly make you a Master of CSS.
Mar 26, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
Overall, I thought it a very handy reference tool for a barely CSS literate person like myself. My only complaints are that is seems to be getting a little out dated. He mentions things such as CSS 3 and how it was supposed to come out later that year (2006). He also spends a lot of time talking about bugs associated with IE, especially 5.X which from my understanding is rarely used these days with the release of IE 7.0 (which he can't mention). Other than that, it was a good eye opener into my ...more
Sep 01, 2015 Ahmad added it
Good book
Dec 29, 2008 Mark rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it, web-design
This is one of the better introductory CSS books out there. As with most, the information is available on the Net if you want to spend the time hunting it down. Andy Budd goes beyond many such online resources by providing insight into common problems and several tips on how to optimize solutions for some common CSS approaches. Overall, worth the money to have on your reference shelf.
Kal Ström
The book suffers from sloppy editing, which is particularly unacceptable since it's a revised edition. Also it's much too noticeable when the authors change between chapters both in coding style and in language. An overall editor is sorely missed.

That said the coding techniques covered is nice and useable, however not that much CSS Mastery as I expected.
Oct 03, 2014 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming-css
An aging but still relevant old standard. There's a lot of focus on cross-browser hacks that will be of little interest to the designers of today, as most of these hacks have been encapsulated in frameworks or are simply no longer relevant for most use cases. Additionally, the two case studies are showing their age. But, overall, still excellent.
Aug 28, 2011 Shaan rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I had no idea what I was doing with CSS until I read this book. Got me quickly up to speed on the basics and then learned all the advanced techniques. Important areas that always confused me such as floating and positioning are completely clear now. And now I understand how to work with different browsers as well. Great book!
Jun 23, 2009 Janis rated it really liked it
Shelves: web-design
Very good, although a bit out of date as IE7 wasn't out yet. Would benefit from a revision. Explores some concepts more widely than Bulletproof Web Design, although I must say that it doesn't demonstrate the markup and markup changes as well as the other. Both books overlap in large areas, but each has its own strong point.
Jun 08, 2016 joke rated it it was amazing
- Plan, organize, and maintain your stylesheets more effectively
- Apply the secrets of liquid, elastic, and hybrid layouts
Feb 16, 2008 Jolyon rated it really liked it
an excellent guide to producing CSS styled HTML pages with concise examples and explanations of the Box Model and more with consideration on how to work around the major Internet Explorer bugs and how to design new pages from the bottom up quickly and flexibly.
Mark Niland
Jan 18, 2014 Mark Niland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-t
A great guide for beginners and advanced users of CSS. Andy Budd demonstrates his mastery of the art of CSS styling throughout the book, in bite size simple to understand and combine chunks. A must read for all web enthusiasts.
Sep 06, 2007 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I am already really familiar with CSS but this book really takes it to the next step. Really easy to follow with great case studies. I highly recommend the friends of ed books, for web designers.
Seth Kenlon
Oct 19, 2012 Seth Kenlon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. It has taught me nearly everything I know about basic CSS; combined with some help from some online friends and good old fashioned practice (it makes perfect, you know?) I'm a competent CSS coder.
Seven Minaya
Jul 02, 2014 Seven Minaya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for a deep understanding of CSS, but a bit outdated. I do still strongly recommend it to get started with CSS, since you will understand concepts much clearer than with other books.
David Sutoyo
Jan 20, 2008 David Sutoyo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: CSS novices
In my case, this book was literally life-changing. It filled in a lot of gaps in my CSS knowledge, and gave me the right start towards my web design/development career.
Sep 02, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
I loved this book so much I bought it after returning it to the library. All the cool CSS layout tricks and hacks in one volume, written in plain, friendly English.
Dec 21, 2012 Helen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-design
This is an awesome book esp for daily tackles w/browser compatibility and standard compliant issues. At my job I keep this book by my side at all times!
Mar 11, 2008 Spencer rated it liked it
Shelves: technical
I found many sections of this book useful, especially the explanation of float. Then it spends far too much time on hacks and workarounds.
Darrin Hawe
Mar 07, 2012 Darrin Hawe rated it really liked it
When I was trying to learn CSS, this book had some really good ideas for development. Book presents topics well and understandably.
Mar 14, 2012 dario rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Correct, neat, simple.
For the geek inside of me, this book accomplish what it promise.

A little aged, but worth the time.

Nick Carter
Feb 22, 2012 Nick Carter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
THE CSS book for anyone looking for a practical guide that will also help in planning, bug squashing and cross-browser issues
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving Flexibility and Protecting Against Worst-Case Scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Mobile First
  • HTML5 & CSS3 For The Real World

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »