Start by marking “The Boy Without a Name” as Want to Read:
The Boy Without a Name

The Boy Without a Name

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Published September 1st 2000 by Hoopoe Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Without a Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Without a Name

Jenn
Nameless is a boy without a name. Before his parents could name him, a very wise man appeared and told them to not give their child a name. The boy is very important, the wise man said, and he would have to wait to get his name in future. But Nameless desperately wants a name and his journey to get that name will lead him to one of the greatest gifts he could ever get.
Swear Ahmed
The Boy Without a Name is a picture book (e-book). It suited for children ages 6-9. This story for me translated to teaching children patience. A baby boy gets older and is never given a name due to the wise man who told his parents not to name him. The boy later is given a name by the wise man.

The boy was called Nameless until he was given the name Husni. But had to be patient with not having a name. The plot was supportive of the central theme. I think it was almost too simple. I didn't fin
(NS) Dana
When two parents visit a wise man after having a boy they are told to not give their son a name. The wise man tells them that when he is older a name will be given. This story is about how the boy without a name searches on his own to find a name, and how he feels at the end of his search.

*This was a non-printed material found on International Digital Childre's Library
Michael
Appropriate for young children to about 3rd grade. A Sufi teaching tale of a boy without a name who visits a wise man and acquires both a name and a wonderful dream.
Toni
The Boy Without A Name.
Pages to dream in. This story has more than a touch of the enchantment associated with The Thousand and One Nights.
Naturally the boy without a name wishes to have a name. He goes to see his friend Anwar and asks him if he has a name he could give him.
I have only one name his friend replies. What would I do for a name if I gave my name to you? And, what could you give me in return, for you have nothing?
I have an unwanted dream, offers the boy without a name.
Only the wise
Megumi Shavers
This book is a folklore and is for ages 4 and up focusing on grade P and up. An award they won Chicago Public Library ‘RECOMMENDED TITLE’.

A young boy is born without a name and decides one day to go out and look for one. Visits a wise man with his friend and they learn a valuable lesson about patience. I rated the book a 3 because think overall the book was a pretty good. It had a good lesson about patience, and that if you wait great things will come to you. The use of language and sound went
Shannon
This fairytale tells the story of an boy whose parents were told by a wise man not to give him a name. The wise man explained that their son was very important and that one day he would give him a gift only after he gives him his name. It is a story that shows the rewards of patience and obedience. One of the unique features of the book is that the text is written both in English and Spanish on each page. For classrooms with both English and Spanish speakers, this book may be a fun way to partne ...more
Monique Franco
This is an inspirational story about a boy without a name and his search for one and in a sense purpose. One thing that I liked about this book (which might have simply been a part of the online reading) was that it was told in English and Spanish. I thought this was great to make comparisons/translations. The illustrations in this story gave insight to how the life of a boy in another country may look. In other parts, the illustrations were colorful, captivating, and magical. These illustration ...more
Mckinley
The version I read was in Engligh and Spanish. Why did the boy have to wait for a name? So he could get a dream? Something seems to be missing in the story.
Bhawna Halwan
your website is ok
Nancy Mosqueda
Idries Shahs' book is brilliant. The words create a tone and atmosphere of mistery and the illustrations give us a glimpse of true beauty. Nameless due to the cision of a wise man, a young boy and his best friend dedcide to visit the wise man for his help. In turn, he acquires both a name and a beautiful dream. We learn that odd as things may be, they all happen for a reason.
John Stanley
This was a nice story with beautiful illustrations. The Spanish was simple enough for me to understand and the English translation was there to read first. Much better than looking up every few words! The Middle Eastern setting was a nice setting.
Rochelle
This is a great mentor text, available in Spanish, with a simple and interesting narrative to use at the beginning of Writer's Workshop. The introduction used in the book is one young authors can use to start many of their own narratives.
Pat Marrujo
This book recounts a nameless boy's journey for self discovery. He is born without a name or dreams, so he goes and makes them himself.

In this book, he does so quite literally. However, i think the deeper meaning is profound and a good lesson.
Jigar Brahmbhatt
The story in itself is okayish and can be told in just 5 sentences, but the middle eastern illustrations are beautiful.
Srinidhi.R Srinidhi.R
magical pictures and magical stories like this are always a delight!!
Amy Stipp
I would recommend this to K-3rd.
Curtis Schofield
I loved reading this to Sebastian.
Huda
:( !خسارة الرسومات في هذا النص
Roda Mohamed
Roda Mohamed marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Raikria
Raikria marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Amna
Amna marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Muhammad Usama
Muhammad Usama marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Idries Shah (Persian: ادریس شاه), also known as Idris Shah, né Sayed Idries el-Hashimi (Arabic: سيد إدريس هاشمي), was an author and teacher in the Sufi tradition who wrote over three dozen critically acclaimed books on topics ranging from psychology and spirituality to travelogues and culture studies.

Born in India, the descendant of a family of Afghan nobles, Shah grew up mainly in England. His ea
More about Idries Shah...
The Sufis Tales of the Dervishes The Way of the Sufi The Pleasantries of the Incredible Mulla Nasrudin Exploits of the Incomparable Mulla Nasrudin: The Subtleties of the Inimitable Mulla Nasrudin