Start by marking “Class Mothers” as Want to Read:
Class Mothers

Class Mothers

2.94 of 5 stars 2.94  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  14 reviews
When her daughter wins a coveted scholarship to the prestigious Metropolitan preschool, Laura thinks she's struck the educational jackpot. Metropolitan is harder to get into than Harvard! She soon finds herself rubbing elbows with some of New York's top moms-wealthy socialites, sultry film stars, and driven business tycoons. These women have it all-and they want more. Now, ...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about Class Mothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Class Mothers

Kressel Housman
After reading two serious, non-fiction books about finance, I was in the mood for something light, fictional, and funny. I was not looking for the inside story of a bunch of upper class, over-spending New York mothers as a follow-up to The Millionaire Next Door, but the book turned out to be exactly that. Some GR reviewers called it "unrealistic" and "exaggerated." Well, so what? That's the whole fun!

This a satire, probably best appreciated by mothers. I'd go so far as to call it Austenesque in
Stephanie
Laura's daughter Anna has received a scholarship to the prestigious Metropolitan preschool (this is New York City, so getting your kid into the right preschool is crucial; it could determine the outcome of the rest of his/her life!). But Laura doesn't really fit in with the other moms. Everyone else is richer, thinner, snobbier than she is and she's always left feeling vaguely less-than. She's managed to make a few friends and is volunteering to bPublish Poste one of the coordinators of the scho ...more
Tracy
Nov 12, 2014 Tracy added it
Did not like this one.
Fafani Weinzierl
This was a fun and easy read. I love getting lost in the lives of the rich and spoiled and being reassured that I am quite happy where I am at...somewhere in the middle class! It kind of reminded me of The Nanny Diaries as you get a "behind the scenes" peek at New York's wealthiest. It is told from the point of view of a mommy on the outside of the money and social status.
Carol
I know this kind of snobby society is out there and it makes me glad I was never involved in it!!! The book is about a snobby preschool that people will do anything to get into - lie, cheat, bride whatever it takes. But what these oh so class consious moms don't know is they are being taken, big time.
Ashley FL
This is a silly little book that I read in just a couple of hours. But it is fun, and the unbelievability of it all made it a nice diversion on a day that required a little diversion! There are many others of the genre that are better written, and better plotted, but this one was a lot of fun.
Sydnee
It was entertaining, but a little over-the-top and unbelievable for me. I know the characters in books like these aren't supposed to be incredibly deep, but in the very best examples of this genre, they usually are believable at some level. Not here. Too nice and neat an ending, too.
Jamie
it was alright. all about a super snooty nyc preschool and all the lies, deceptions, and frauds going on behind the scenes.

i also read it when i was sick, which is maybe why i didn't love it.
Erika
This book doesnt get interesting until the near end. I can see Hollywood making a movie of this!
Debdanz
"most uncommon degree of popularity" revisited except starting at a preschool level. gack.
Jennifer Failla
Cutesy book about women with everything, judging others, keeping secrets. Quick read.
Christina
A fun, easy read for those times I just want something light that requires no thought.
Charity
Cute story about the competitive nature of New York City private schools. Good overall.
Erica
I finished this only because I try to finish every book I start.

Boring
Sarah Hurley
Sarah Hurley marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Michelle Mcwilliams
Michelle Mcwilliams marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Elizabeth Isadora Gold
Elizabeth Isadora Gold marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Kate H
Kate H added it
Aug 31, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Kim Hollstein
Kim Hollstein marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • And Then I Found Out the Truth
  • Hollywood Car Wash
  • Coffee And Kung Fu
  • Emily Post: Daughter of the Gilded Age, Mistress of American Manners
  • Drenched in Light (Tending Roses #4)
  • Endless Chain (Shenandoah Album)
  • The Bughouse Affair (Carpenter and Quincannon, #1)
  • Play Dates
  • Suburbanistas
  • The Dreadful Future of Blossom Culp (Blossom Culp, #3)
  • When You Least Expect It: A Novel
  • LoveHampton
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
The Good News Club: The Christian Right's Stealth Assault on America's Children The Yoga Mamas A Croft in the Hills Women of the Highlands. Katharine Stewart Crofts and Crofting