Start by marking “The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)

The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell #3)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,104 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews
In a secluded cabin six young men stage a deadly standoff with FBI agents.

In a wooded area near the FDR Memorial in Washington, the body of a senator's daughter is discovered.

Kindle Edition, Reprint Edition, 416 pages
Published September 17th 2012 by Harlequin MIRA (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Soul Catcher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Soul Catcher

Phrynne
Mar 03, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Number three in the series and I am still not getting it. Maggie is supposed to be an intelligent, experienced, well trained professional. So please can she stop doing silly things, drinking too much and waffling endlessly about her past. Move on!!! I actually found this book too long, rather boring and needing some tight editing. The identity of the murderer was apparent about two thirds of the way through and from there I started skimming. I am reading this series for a challenge so I will try ...more
Jonetta
When a young girl is found murdered near a DC memorial, FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell and her partner, R. J. Tully are brought onto the case when it appears there may be a serial killer at large. The victim had attended a rally nearby, led by the leader of a religious cult, suspected of having ties to another case and dubious behavior by him and his inner circle.

I found this story to be stronger than the first two, even though it continues to belabor Maggie's personal issues. I'm finding the suppo
Robin
Mar 04, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, 2016
FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell and her partner, R.J. Tully, are assigned a case where six young men staged a standoff with FBI Agents. Only one boy is left alive. The rest killed themselves with cyanide laced tablets. As Maggie and Tully work the case, they are assigned a second case. A teenage girl has been found raped and murdered. Her body left posed behind the FDR monument in Washington, D.C. The two investigators soon discover a connection between the cases. The link is Reverend Joseph Eve ...more
Bigd_041555
Nov 20, 2013 Bigd_041555 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This Waco-type book was just excellent. Had me guessing right to the end actually. I thought I had it all figured out, but it appears I didn't - my bad!

Maggie O'Dell is such a flawed character - you just have to love her and especially now that she has a dog to keep her company!!!

Alex Kava knows how to keep you on your toes, and puts out a great story. You can tell she has done her research on the various aspects of this particular case.

2 thumbs up and 5 stars - onto "At The Stroke Of Madness"!
Mary JL
Oct 26, 2011 Mary JL rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Desperate and/or patient mystery fans
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found at booksale.
Shelves: mystery-horror
This particular book in a popular series I found only so-so.

First, Maggie O'Dell did not impress me. She spends a lot of time on her personal problems---reliving her father's death, problems with her alcoholic mother and her own emtional problems. How did this lady every pass a psychological exam? (Maybe the FBI does not care about the stability of their agents--woundn't surprise me!)

Next, the villain of the piece is the sterotype we've all seen--the fundamentalist leader of a religious cult, an
Katie
Definitely skimmed the Gwen and Tully interactions. Their chemistry is nonexistent.

A bisexual woman in non-erotic fiction! It's like spotting a unicorn. Too bad the author had to give her such a terrible reputation.
Nalini
I started reading this book after it kept falling off my bookshelf (I took it as a sign, and I don't regret it.)

I love the show "Criminal Minds" (Not because of Shemar Moore alone :p ) but because the human mind is fascinating and their thought process even more so. So, when I started this book and read that it was about FBI and more specifically, Behavioural Science Unit, I was taken with it.

What Kava did was combine a realistic, yet a bit far-fetched at points, situation into a story that gri
Christa
Jun 06, 2015 Christa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This was another great addition to the Maggie O'Dell series. This one involved a creepy cult whose young members are completely controlled by the enigmatic leader. Maggie's own mother is caught up in the organization. As the bodies of young females are found, it soon becomes clear that there is a tie-in to this group. Maggie and her partner, R.J. Tully are tasked with investigating the murders.

The Soul Catcher grabbed my attention right away, and I loved delving back into Maggie's world. I liked
Darcy
It was surprising how much Maggie's past came into play with this one. Maggie's personality makes more sense knowing what we do about her past and her parents. I'm really not sure what to think of the final piece of info that Maggie's mom gave her. It will definitely be life changing.

The religious aspect of this one drove me nuts. There was nothing new there, an old man things he's god to take advantage of people for money and sex. I hate reading about those things. I was very surprised about th
Brenda
Jan 10, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was very well written, the same type of story as Portrait in Death by JD Robb, but in my opinion, slightly better here, but the concept is almost identical, even some of the wording and the reason behind it to a point is identical. Not saying Kava got the idea from Robb or vice-versa, just noting some similarities.

The only reason I gave this a 4 star and not a 5, is I figured out who did it long before O'Dell, who was very distracted by her mother issues, but still as a profiler
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Book 3. in the "Maggie O'Dell" series. We get a link here from book 2., in that Maggie's mother had mentioned that she was being helped by a Reverend Everett and now, this book deals with the cult he runs. There are a series of murders of women and the evidence starts to point towards the cult and its controlling leader, Everett. Maggie is worried about what her mother is mixed up in their relationship is more deeply examined in this book. Nick Morelli turns up again in this one and I am now get ...more
Melissa
Apr 27, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have heard from others that these books get better with each one and I agree. Maggie seems to be getting over some of her issues and I think this one shows a huge turning point in her relationship with her mom. I was pretty sure I knew who the bad guy was on this case, but the author did a really good job making you second guess yourself. I do think Maggie took some unneeded risks again. I hope this changes. Tully continues to be an excellent character and a good match for Maggie. The idea of ...more
❆ Crystal ❆
3 stars. I liked it well enough. I'm hoping Maggie will become a better FBI agent. At this point, no one on the team is that good at what they do..... I hope that changes in future books. And, maybe Maggie can finally move on from her past.
Elvan
Dec 01, 2013 Elvan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
Lots happening once again in this third book in the Maggie O'Dell series. I'm not a big fan of the religious cult Jonestown/Davidian books so maybe I was challenged a bit to stay focused and suspend belief as I tried to pick out the killer from the herd.
The author telegraphed the villain at around 70 % so it was a mop up read for me from that point, and a not altogether happy ending (for the killer) for which I had been hoping.
There are lots of loose threads that need to be tightened a
Mizzio Batista
A captivating crime thriller.... Has all the trimmings of a great mystery novel... I enjoyed Agent O' Dell's newest case, and look forward to reading the next...
Cláudia
It took me almost 2 weeks to read this book, I didn't have enough time and availability but at the same time it wasn't really appealing to me, I found it a lot weaker than the previous 2 of the series and wasn't quite that interested.
I think the story drags a lot and there were really no surprises to me, wasn't the ending almost all totally obvious?? And after so many things happened, it just ends like that? Is it so easy to catch and get rid of killers?
It didn't satisfy me at all. I'm only c
Tamera
This was an ok entry in the Maggie O 19Dell series. For me I found the multiple viewpoints uninteresting, although everything came together in the end story wise. Part of the problem might have been the subject - I am not really interested in reading about cults even if there is a murderer in the group. It was really convenient that Maggie's Mom was involved in the cult, but I suspected from the first time it was mentioned in previous novels that it would be an eventual plot. We also learn more ...more
Mark Muckerman
Ashley
Great crime thriller.
Was a fun fast paced read, I enjoy a book that seems like "it could happen" when the story isn't believable I'm done. And the author seems to have done a lot of research and made good use of it for this book(I hope the series!!)
Was a 402 pg book but it went by like nothing.. It really was a great read!

I will be buying more of the Maggie O' Dell series..FOR SURE!!

Charlene
Maybe a 3.5 star read, but it lost points with me for NOT being much about profiling, even though this kind of case was set up so that it might have made sense.

The team was split to go in different directions, unlike the previous book. I found myself really liking Agent Tully, Maggie O'Dell's partner. He is one character I want to follow in future books.

Maggie-the-Profiler has yet to appear in these books, or I was expecting something different. Having said this, however, I did enjoy reading mor
Clara Dearmore Strom
Didn't like it. It didn't hold my interest and gosh can't some writers come up with a bad guy who is NOT a wacko, "Christian", cult, conservative, Republican, capitalist? For creative people they sure are limiting themselves.
Ricardo
The worst of Kava's books in her series so far. It's like she sent an outline to the editor, went on holidays, and somebody filled in the plot to connect the ideas. A complete letdown compared to her previous 2 books
Jane Peskara / Audrey Valentine
Good as always, I think about copying and pasting that in every future review when it is about Maggie O'Dell lol.
This time it is also Kathleen O'Dell, her mother who plays a bigger part in this story.
Maggie has a quite complicated relationship to her mother, I can relate.
It is basically about some murders that happen, and Reverend Everett soon becomes one of the Suspects.
He is the Leader of a sect.
Young guys(members of his sect) kill themselves in the beginning with Zyanid just becos they fear t
Wendy
Jun 03, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jun-15
Loved it!
Karen
Jan 09, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the risk of sounding like a book cover review, I must say this series is highly readable. Plot and characterizations are well done and the pace is good. A good solid 4 stars.
Amy Lucas
Jun 21, 2015 Amy Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
BOOK TRIGGER WARNINGS: alcoholism, self-harm, suicide, sexual assault and rape.

Not something I would normally read but one of the best books I have read!

Gripped me from the start and I just couldn't put it down!(apart from when A-level exams got in the way) Chapters being no more than 3 pages long gave it a quick read feeling. Could read on the bus, in the bath, at 2am as my eyes were shutting and the short hooking chapters just made it a joy to read.

Opening with a group suicide you can't help b
Dyann
Jun 13, 2014 Dyann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I have enjoyed the whole series so far. Maggie finds out a little bit about her dad in this book and I am sure that will come into play in the future. She reminds me of me when it comes to family just a little. I would go into detail about how but my family may read this review!! haha. They will have to read the book to find out how. My only real beef with this book was that there were too many people who were really involved with the whole thing. Like her mother and ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"For FBI Special Agent Maggie O'Dell, there is nothing routine about being called in to work these two cases. As an expert criminal profiler, Maggie provides psychological insight on cases that involve suspected serial killers. She can't understand, then, why her boss, Assistant Director Cunningham, has assigned her to these two seemingly unrelated crimes. But as Maggie and her partner, Special Agent R. J. Tully, delve into the two cases, they learn that there is a connection between the
Cornerofmadness
Cupcakencorset
Jun 21, 2011 Cupcakencorset rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This, the 3rd Maggie O’Dell novel, is such an engaging read. It centers around a religious cult and a string of murders that seem to follow the cult followers. Maggie’s alcoholic mother has been in recovery, thanks to three very special friends, whom we find out in this book are part of the cult and have been drawing her further into the group’s inner workings, putting her life in peril. Kava began this subplot subtly in book two, laying a seemingly innocuous foundation there for one of the emot ...more
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 12 8 Mar 28, 2016 11:54AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 12 7 Mar 27, 2016 11:01PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 9 7 Mar 22, 2016 05:41AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 13 7 Mar 21, 2016 08:37AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 3 5 Mar 21, 2016 08:34AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 8 7 Mar 21, 2016 08:16AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 4 5 Mar 21, 2016 08:13AM
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
  • October Skies
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Quiver
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Copycat (Kitt Lundgren, #1)
  • Call Me Crazy: A Memoir
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • Watch Them Die
  • What Happened, Miss Simone?: A Biography
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • Kiss Me, Kill Me (Lucy Kincaid, #2)
  • The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1)
ALEX KAVA IS A NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHOR of the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series and a new series featuring former Marine, Ryder Creed and his K9 dogs. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was the 2006 One Book One Nebraska. Published in over thirty countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestseller lists in the UK, Australia, Germany, Japan, Italy and Poland. Her novel Stranded ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Slices of Night
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)