X-Men Legacy: Divided He Stands

X-Men Legacy: Divided He Stands (X-Men II #40)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  391 ratings  ·  19 reviews
X-men: Legacy - Divided He Stands In the wake of Messiah CompleX, there are no X-Men and mutantkind still lies in ruin. With Magneto depowered and Xavier gravely injured, it seems their reign as the preeminent mutants has ended. But neither of these old soldiers is willing to go gentle into that good night! Fresh off a groundbreaking run on Messiah CompleX, writer Mike Car...more
Published December 10th 2008 by Marvel (first published September 3rd 2008)

Eric
As a long-time X-Men fan, one who's read pretty much everything that the X-Universe has to offer, I have a strong love for some of the old, more prominent stories of past issues. Mike Carey appearently does too, as he beings the X-Men: Legacy storyline with Xavier going through his memories and reliving a lot of key moments. With Professor X having lost a large part of his memories and past life, the rebuilding process begins with old and new events.
The old stories being touched on is great, but...more
David Edmonds
Niall519
Almost impossible to keep track of the whole blasted 'House of M', 'Messiah CompleX', and every other cross-linked story known to humanity at this time. There are moments when I wish the Marvel Universe(s) could be just a little simpler and less convoluted. As a result, I had only half an idea of what I was actually reading with this one, but I still liked it, and enjoyed the trip down Xavier's 'memory lane'.

It definitely redeemed the horror of part 1 of 'The Curse of the Mutants' that I read y...more
J.
By the end, this book is starting to get fun. But the first half of it just drags--I don't care about these characters, or what's going on. It's just waaaaaay too slow. Also, just about the time things get interesting, it ends, which leaves me wondering why this wasn't collected into a longer book? The next volume isn't particularly long, either. It seems like a blatant money-grab--instead of collecting them by story, they're just randomly collected to make some money for Marvel. Shame.
Brad
Professor X goes on part-vision quest, part clip show to old, engaging X-Men storylines that spans from his near-death to his embryonic life with his twin sister, to his childhood growing up with Xaviers, Markos, and a doctor named Nathan. Magneto, Exodus, and the Acolytes guest star in the beginning, Gambit shows up at the end. The most interesting part of the whole book is the wraparound cover that highlights the best X-Men stories from the 1960s to the 1990s, X-Men #1 style.
Mike
Partly this felt like a best-of, flashbacks episode of every long-running TV show you've ever loved, which makes me wonder if Carey is really so self-indulgent to think he would do an awesome job to rewrite/retell/reinvent the decades of X-Men history. Partly this felt like an interesting way to reboot the X-world in the post-annihilation era. I think I enjoyed the storytelling, but I'll know better when we (hopefully) get into some non-flashback writing in the next book.
Juan
Mar 05, 2012 Juan is currently reading it
Mike Carey re-writes X-Men history as Professor X re-lives it through a literally shattered mind after the events of The Messiah Complex. I loved the events of the first issue (208) since I hadn't read the title in a long time, it is still kind of easy to piece together the events of the previous storyline. The ramifications of the events are still resonating in the Marvel Universe as they are leading up to the epic Avengers vs X-Men storyline this Spring of 2012.
Brent Gladney
Mike Carey was the author that brought me back into X-Men at the age of 19 after almost a decade hiatus. His run on X-Men and subsequently X-Men Legacy are, in my mind, nearly unmatched. He knows the X-Men as well as Frank Miller and Paul Dini know Batman. This collection follows the further aftermath of the (brilliant) Messiah Complex crossover and contains my single favourite X-Men issue of all time, Legacy #210.
Ron
Xavier centric comic? Don't mind if I do! It starts out a little slow in 208, you might think, "Oh, this is just an excuse to run down memory lane." But read through 212, you won't regret it!
Federiken Masters
May 15, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Incondicionales de los personajes
Recommended to Federiken by: Curiosidad
No tiene mucha gracia leer un epílogo sin haber leído la historia epilogada antes, pero como lo tenía a mano y hacía rato que no leía nada actual de X-Men, le di una chance. Y ni me aburrió mortalmente ni me deslumbró. Historias, pasables, y dibujos que van de buenos a mejores. Cuando lo relea habiendo leído la parte previa, seguro la rerreseñe.
Lord
The continuation of a quite unimpressive Mike Carey run on X-Men. The excursions to history are not bad but the overall story is not that impressive. Exodus basically saves Xavier's life and just after that they start to fight. Can the story get even more stupid? Brubaker's "Divided We Stand" book is just much better.
Cameron Rice
An interesting read coming out of Messiah Complex with Xavier as the main character and going into his head. The art is a bit scattered due to different artist being on the book, but overall a good start to a new story.
Patrick
I beleive Marvel would do well to cut back on the number of x-books being published. Perhaps that would give them a greater feeling of importance, these days reading one is like reading any of a dozen.
Jeff Gray
Great way to get back into the X-Men universe. Has a side-story after the main Prof X plotline that helps catch you up on most of the bigger story-archs that have happened in the past few years.
Jessica
I really enjoyed the concept: Professor Xavier repairs his damaged mind by using his telepathy to recover and reconstruct his memories from the people closest to him.
Kerry
I haven't been keeping up with the X-men so I didn't quite get it. Oh well. The art work was nice :)
Joe
More on the Professor's past.
What a long wait it has been..
Fun to read.
Good artwork.
Jason
Not much happens, really. Not a very engaging storyline. At least it didn't take long to read.
Shannon Appelcline
An excellent focus on Professor X, effortlessly blending 45 years of continuity with the present.
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Harry
Harry marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
  • X-Men: The Day After
  • Uncanny X-Force: Deathlok Nation
  • Decimation: Son of M
  • House of M: New X-Men
Mike Carey was born in Liverpool in 1959. He worked as a teacher for fifteen years, before starting to write comics. When he started to receive regular commissions from DC Comics, he gave up the day job.

Since then, he has worked for both DC and Marvel Comics, writing storyli...more
More about Mike Carey...
Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere The Unwritten, Vol. 1: Tommy Taylor and the Bogus Identity Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway (Lucifer, #1) The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1) The Unwritten, Vol. 2: Inside Man