Start by marking “Wizard at Work” as Want to Read:

Wizard at Work

The wizard has big summer plans: to garden, to fish, and to nap. The only thing better would be if he had someone nice to share the days with. But the only people who show up want him to rescue yet another princess, lift the usual vile curse, confront a fearsome ghost, deal with a pack of magical hooligans, harvest a crop of golden cucumbers, and on and on. . . .

A wizard's
Published August 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

Q
Jun 05, 2007 Q rated it liked it
A very lighthearted story about a wizard going about his daily duties while on vacation from the academy he teaches at.

All the stories are connected thinly, but not so much you couldn't read them out of order if you wanted to. The conventions of what wizards are, the way they are thought of, and the basics of fairy tales are unceremoniously thrown up into the air to see how they fall.

Fun to read.
Kitty
This would be a fabulous choice for younger kids who are just about to make that leap from early chapter books into "bigger kid" independent readers such as Percy Jackson or other such books on that reading level. Parents with reluctant readers who enjoy a fantasy setting should consider this book as a good choice for it's easy vocabulary and the over all structure of the book which promotes more than one reading. That is, the book is broken into chapters, each one a different tale, but still ...more
Ruhama
Mar 03, 2009 Ruhama rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
Wizard’s school for young wizards has finally let out for the summer, and he is looking forward to gardening, fishing and relaxing. But several people come to pester him for favors this year. A princess needs rescuing from her evil stepsister’s spell, a herd of young unicorns
is wreaking havoc on a nearby village and a young man needs a ghost taken care of. The wizard is intrigued enough to help everyone that comes his way, and thus we’re treated to a series of short stories (essentially) that ar
Collin
Feb 08, 2015 Collin rated it liked it
At about 140 pages with big type, Wizard At Work is obviously a book for younger kids. But that doesn't keep it from being TOTALLY HILARIOUS.

The book details several of "the wizard's" daily troubles as a wizard in demand. My favorite adventure is definitely the last, but all of them were just so funny. And the wizard is one of the best MCs of all younger-kids literature. The ending is just perfect. Highly recommended if you want a break from all the depressing, 'important' YA/adult books.
foo4luv
Jan 20, 2011 foo4luv rated it it was amazing
A good wizard can never find five minutes to tend his vegetables, let alone catch a nap. Follow our harried, local wizard as he's dragged in to clean up one magical mess after another.
Gina
Aug 11, 2009 Gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is the perfect fantasy book for the reluctant reader. I really enjoyed how fairy tales were incorporated into each story.
Becca
Aug 28, 2009 Becca rated it it was amazing
Aww, poor unsuspecting wizard!
Cheryl
Nov 07, 2016 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do love Vande Velde's work, especially her light & humorous juveniles. The only problem with this - too short! So, was the witch cursing him, or just giving free advice, when she said, "You'll never find true happiness until you learn to be less judgemental and look beyond the surface of things." - ? Don't get me wrong, though - mostly it's the people who hire the wizard who are given a chance to learn a lesson, not the wizard himself. And yet... do any of them actually do so?
Sarah Crawford
Feb 10, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely delightful book. It's also a hilarious one. You start out with the wizard. The wizard is young but will make himself look old when potential clients come around since he feels they won't really respect a young wizard.

He's also a wizard that would rather work in his garden or teach they deal with the various people that come to him with their various problems, usually involving some kind of dragon or a princess that needs to be rescued or something like that.

He has his work
Libby Ames
The wizard is on summer holiday from running his wizard boarding school, but no one is willing to let him relax. He keeps getting called on rescue missions that begin like traditional fairy tales, but end with an unexpected twist. He goes to rescue a princess who refuses to be rescued from her dragon. One town has a problem with teenage unicorns getting drunk on fermented fruit. In the midst of all these adventures, all the wizard wants to do is save his summer garden from rabbits.

Chersti Nieveen
Jun 22, 2013 Chersti Nieveen rated it it was amazing
A wizard's work is never done. School is out for the summer and the wizard plans to garden, fish, and nap. Instead, he is constantly interrupted by one annoying person after another who want him to rescue (another) princess, stop a herd of dangerous unicorns, rid a castle of a ghost and more...

This was such a cute middle grade book. The stories were unique and funny, and the characters a quirky take on the fantasy tales. The book reads almost like one short story after another, with the young w
Indah Threez Lestari
Susahnya jadi penyihir, tak bisa bersantai-santai dan menikmati hobi di saat liburan. Ada saja yang meminta pertolongan. Meski ogah-ogahan, tapi sang penyihir pada akhirnya mau memberikan pertolongan.

Fakta-fakta yang "terungkap" di sini a.l.:
- putri cantik tidak selalu baik budi, malah saudara tiri buruk rupa yang berhati mulia.
- crop circles (pola-pola lingkaran di ladang) adalah ulah kuda bercula satu, bukan aliens atau UFO.
- putri yang diculik naga tidak terlalu kepingin diselamatkan.
- monste
Wealhtheow
Jan 31, 2013 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children of fans of Dealing with Dragons
Shelves: fantasy, humor, ya
Now that his students are on summer vacation, an unnamed wizard planned to spend his own summer relaxing and puttering around his cottage. But alas, he is constantly interrupted by cursed princesses, lazy princes, greedy dukes and marauding unicorns. The wizard never doubts his magical abilities or his own skills, but he is often disappointed by the behavior of the people he's trying to help. It's lighthearted and fun, with humorous twists on the lesson not to judge by appearances. It's ...more
Fractalhead
Aug 13, 2014 Fractalhead rated it really liked it
Nemu buku tipis ini di perpustakaan umum dalam kondisi yang mengenaskan, dan kucurigai sebagai buku anak-anak biasa yang klise dan membosankan. Tapi setelah buka halaman pertama aku langsung suka buku ini dan melahapnya habis dalam sekejap. Ini kisah penyihir yang berencana menikmati hari libur tapi rencananya itu gagal total. Sangat kurekomendasikan buat semuanya, baik anak-anak maupun dewasa, karena buku ini sangat menghibur dan aku yakin orang dewasapun akan suka baca buku ini seperti aku :)
Priha Tini
Aug 10, 2016 Priha Tini rated it it was ok
I'd love to smile at every funny things in this book. To be honest, I am fourteen y.o teenager and to read book like this, is not my year. But, I enjoyed the book. This book was so funny--and nice.

But, It's seem like it was a book of short stories. I know there are so much a connector for a chapter and two. But, it's just not my zone. This book was good, but I never like a full book of short stories. 2 of 5 stars of this book.

(Sorry, my english was bad)
Dolly
Mar 27, 2013 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is an entertaining and humorous book of short stories featuring a crafty and wise wizard. Various bits of fairy tales are woven into the stories and we see each with a fresh perspective. The narrative is engaging and we really enjoyed reading this book together.

interesting quote:

"Maybe if I get killed, then my mother will forgive me." (p. 40)
Mark
Mar 18, 2013 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, funny
The Vande Velde I've read before has been YA, even though it's been shelved in juvenile fiction, but this one really is for younger readers, probably the 8-10 crowd. It's a quick, amusing read with Vande Velde's trademark wit, and considerably more warmth than her bleaker YA novels.
Steve
Jan 03, 2014 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A fun book. Really a collection of short stories hung on a loose frame, but that's okay. It's summer vacation and Wizard just wants to fall asleep while fishing, but princesses and dukes keep cropping up.
Michelle Welford
Dec 13, 2015 Michelle Welford rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was full of adventure, I enjoyed it so much.

I liked the part where the wizard gets tricked into marrying princess Teddy. I would recommend this book to anyone who has read fantasy before.
S.N. Arly
Jun 03, 2009 S.N. Arly rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a fun and quick read. It isn't quite as good as Now You See It, but it seems to be geared for a younger audience.
Sarah Stapley
Sep 15, 2010 Sarah Stapley rated it it was amazing
Aubrey
Dec 26, 2011 Aubrey rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood-reads
I got this one along with Dragon's Bait. I read Dragon's Bait first, so by comparison this one seemed really silly. Still, I read it. It was alright.
Josh
Dec 23, 2015 Josh rated it liked it
Cute kids story. Witty humor and fun fairytale twists. I liked the ending, in which a reasonable princess is finally met.
Gmc
Sep 27, 2013 Gmc rated it really liked it
Shelves: reveiwed
Wizard at Work by Vivian Vande Velde 134 pages. Six short stories, the Wizards "What he did on summer vacation".
Emily
Apr 12, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Even though this really is only an average piece of writing, I still kept coming back to it and rereading it... I guess I really liked it as a kid.
Liz
Mar 31, 2015 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute little book about a wizard at work...who happens to fix problems of some well-known fairy tales.
Twyla
Jun 21, 2011 Twyla rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
It was alright. Not really one of her best. If it had been written for adults and was a hundred and a half more pages with some cohesion between the stories it probably would have rawked.
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Prang
Prang rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2011
Elizabeth S
Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
  • The Key (The Magnificent 12, #3)
  • The Shadow Guests
  • Phone Home, Persephone! (Myth-O-Mania, #2)
  • The Blue Ghost
  • Absolute Zero: Being the Second Part of the Bagthorpe Saga (The Bagthorpe Saga, #2)
  • The Philadelphia Adventure (Vesper Holly #5)
  • The Devil's Storybook
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • Dragon Secrets (OutCast, #2)
  • Tales Of Narnia: Prince Caspian; The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader
  • The Ugly Princess and the Wise Fool
  • The Legend of Spud Murphy
  • Magical Mischief
  • The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
  • Thor's Wedding Day: By Thialfi, the goat boy, as told to and translated by Bruce Coville
  • Flower Fairies of the Winter
  • A Wizard's Dozen: Stories Of The Fantastic
Vivian Vande Velde (born 1951, currently residing in Rochester, New York) is an American author who writes books primarily aimed at young adults.

Her novels and short story collections usually have some element of horror or fantasy, but are primarily humorous. Her book Never Trust a Dead Man (1999) received the 2000 Edgar Award for Best Young Adult Novel. She says that she really likes to write for
More about Vivian Vande Velde...