Start by marking “Touching Darkness (Midnighters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Touching Darkness (Midnighters, #2)

Touching Darkness (Midnighters #2)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  14,610 ratings  ·  694 reviews
The Midnighters of Bixby, Oklahoma, know that their town is full of secrets - especially since they keep the biggest secret of all: knowledge of the secret hour, the mysterious time at midnight when the world freezes, except for them and the creatures that inhabit the darkness. What they don't know is why earlier generations of Midnighters all disappeared, or why they are ...more
Published August 3rd 2006 by Atom (first published March 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Touching Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touching Darkness

Echo
This series continues to impress. It's one of those books that you find it hard to put down once you pick it up. I confess to putting in movies for my kids so they'd leave me alone & staying up way too late at night to read this one. I think I read the entire thing in 2 days, which is impressive for someone with 3 little kids.

This book goes further into the relm of midnight, without rehashing any of the difficulties overcome in the last book. It brought a whole new aspect into the Blue Time
Thomas
Changing this one to a four because I don't think it was as great as other books I've given five stars - however, it was a solid second installment to the Midnighters series and did leave me eagerly awaiting the next one.

One thing I remember about this book was its superb characterization. While the first book laid out the framework of the characters' personalities, Touching Darkness took their interpersonal relationships above and beyond. Bravo, Westerfeld.
Mitchel Broussard
I don't know what it is about these books, but I can't get into them. Not in the can't-finish-at-all sense (its crazy easy to read, like most of Westerfeld's works), but in the sense of plot and characters. Excluding maybe Dess, I really don't like any of the midnighters. They all kinda bore me. She was the only interesting one with her obsession in finding out more about the secret hour via, well, crazy ass math skillz.

I would say this one is better than the first, just because we get more expl
Lindsay
Jenie
Westerfield brings the grey area in this second book in the Midnighters series. Weeks have passed since the culminating events of Book 1, and our heroes are divided and not getting along particularly well. I like that Westerfield does not feel compelled to make all his characters chummy or likable. They're thrust together by circumstances, not friendship, and it shows - as it should. But I did start to really dislike mindcaster Melissa, and I wasn't all that fond of seer Rex, either. This is the ...more
Fábio Ventura
“No Limiar das Trevas” é o segundo volume da trilogia de fantasia urbana de Scott Westerfeld, “Midnighters”. Passadas cerca de duas semanas depois dos acontecimentos de “A Hora Secreta”, os cinco midnighters continuam a sua demanda para descobrir todos os segredos por detrás da misteriosa hora azul, especialmente depois da descoberta do poder especial de Jessica. Mas a complexidade e as conspirações em torno da 25ª hora, darklings e própria História de Bixby adquirem uma dimensão muito maior que ...more
Elevetha
2.5 stars.

Main annoyances: Why does everyone treat Melissa like crap? They call her a bitch behind her back and act like she's so high and mighty. I didn't really see that. I mean, sure, she's not the easiest person to get along with, she's a little standoffish, and she can be snarky. She's not a fan of touching anyone ever. But why? Because she hears the thoughts of not just herself but everyone. If she touches someone, it's intimate and invasive for both of them because she is privy to all the
Nymeria
Enzo
"Touching Darkness" follows up on "Midnighters" almost immediately. Jessica having discovered she is light bringer, torch user is a powerful and deadly midnighter that the Darklings feared. But its Dess who keeps discovering more about the Midnight hour and how it affects all of them including the town of Bixby itself.
This book never lets off the accelerator giving us almost continuous action which is very cool. Jessica is being stalked by some unknown party. Rex and Melissa are finding love an
Amber
I thought the first book was pretty good, but I really enjoyed this one. I read both of the books in a span of 48 hours. I'm now waiting for the third one at the library.
Kenzie Kathleen
Jessica and Jonathan are a great pair. Love the series.
tyene
Annie
First Look:4/5 I wasn't sure what I'd think of this book. The first one was pretty good, but not great, and the second book in a trilogy is usually my least favorite.

Setting: 4/5 It's an average little town that...isn't quite so average. Somehow I like it better during the midnight hour.

Characters:4/5 I liked all of the midnighters, except for Jessica. She's such a Mary Sue, and doesn't really have much personality. I liked the others, though, especially Dess. Her mind works in such weird, uniqu
Kierra
Well, it was good. Probably because I liked the storyline from the first book, and Westerfeld uses really interesting myths, words and details, so I was not bored with silly and cliché love stories. Besides, he uses different points of view. Jessica (in this book she is not a main character, which is a really good decision), Rex (he is the main character here, but the good thing is that his story is about life choices, scandals, past etc. NOT about feelings even if he has ones for Melissa), Desd ...more
Meneesha Govender
In the first of the Midnighters series we meet the Midnighters themselves and learn what Jessica’s special power is and why the darklings and slither fear her.
In the second of the extremely fast-paced trilogy. Jessica and Jonathan realise that others, normal people, knew about them and are stalking them.
The darklings are a also bigger threat and appear to be growing in strength, biding their time until they are able to strike and take over the midnight hour.
The Midnighters are in more danger tha
Jody
Amy
Well, no promises on how good this review will be. I just finished reading the third book, and my mind's kinda full of that storyline right now. But I'll try.

The whole plot line with Anathea/Rex and the halfling thing was really, really clever. The idea of someone who unwittingly understands the lore and makes it possible for Darklings to act on it is incredible. Brilliant thinking for that one.

Madeleine was kind of weird, I thought. I never understood how she could be in a "dead spot" of the Bl
Larisa
I can't say that I enjoyed this book overall as much as the first one. It was just hard for me to get into at first. I can say that I enjoyed the way Westerfield fleshed out all of the characters he had established in the first book. I don't think I liked Melissa at all in the first book, and she's basically become one of my favorite characters now. Jonathan will always be my baby, though. He's the best, and I loved how this book ended. Hee. And Dess is always, always cool. Math is badass and yo ...more
Naomi
Veronica Morfi
On the second book, Darklings and Slithers are not the only ones after the Midnighters, humans are starting to get involved in a dangerous chase and a secret from a long lost Midnighter comes to the surface.

Now it's not only Jessica that is in danger, but it seems that another Midnighter is of great importance to the humans.

A great continuation of the first book. It sets the stage for the final one!
Logan Waughtal
Following the first book, Jessica Day now has her talent, and that is just the sprinkles on top of the crazy sundae that is "Midnighters". With this new responsibility, Jessica is now dragged into the mess of bixby's secrets. The big one being, what happened to the rest of the midnighters from before.

This is the second book of a series by Scott Westerfeld. Like mentioned above, this one follows the events of the first book. I always seem to enjoy Westerfeld's books, and this one is no exception.
Patrick
Really fun! I don't know why I had waited so long since reading the first one. (I had to review online and skimmed the ending again at the library.)

Westerfeld doesn't keep the story static at all. The first book is full of crazy discovery of this new world that is already acting differently than before. Then this one totally throws multiple curveballs about what the Midnighter kids understood, and has tons of interesting action. I couldn't believe what we found out about the past Midnighters or
Aprile
I disliked the first book in this series and I disliked this one too. I am not a fan of the plot and I think the characters are poorly developed. This is the last book I will be reading in this series. As much as I loved the "Uglies" series, this series just does not grab me at all.
Selina
Jessica makes a flashlight look like a powerful wapen.
Dess makes numbers and mathematics sound interesting.
Rex makes historie sound mysterious.
Melissa makes people their minds look complicated.

And Jonathan...
Jonathan makes gravity suck.

I love it. :)
sh(e)reader
I'm not in love with this series, but it is interesting. While book one still left things a bit open-ended, it did have a conclusion and I wondered a bit how the story would continue. This did pick up in the days after book 1 ended, and new situations and conflicts were introduced. I think I enjoyed this book more than the first ... already knowing the characters and the situations. The old woman who made a brief, unexplained appearance in book 1 has more play here. Plenty of action, but again, ...more
Aniqa
It was a facinating story line. Filled with great existentialism features and romance that I've never seen before. Makes me think of producing an ending of my own. Scott Westerfield will always one of my fav. authors under fiction.
Joe
Aug 17, 2007 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of YA lit
The five teenage Midnighters continue their struggle against the Darklings with their special abilities. Desdemona's special ability is being good at math.
Mary
Annie
Fun and suspenseful! Starting the third one soon.
Andreia Dias
Se o primeiro livro de Midnighters foi uma lufada de ar fresco no ramo da fantasia, este segundo volume foi surpreendentemente viciante.
No fundo, o primeiro livro trouxe-nos a apresentação de Bixby e da 25º hora a que apenas alguns têm acesso, vem como nos introduziu aos Darklings e o lado negro que existe na hora secreta.
Neste segundo volume, os acontecimentos não podiam ser mais surpreendentes! Os cinco midnighters deparam-se com uma nova série de mistérios que os irá levar a descobrir o pass
Scott Westerfeld ...: Touching Darkness-Book 2 1 1 Jul 19, 2014 11:24AM
  • Soul Enchilada
  • The Key (Guardians of Time, #3)
  • Voices in the Dark (The Last Descendants, #2)
  • Magic Lessons (Magic or Madness, #2)
  • The Haunting of Alaizabel Cray
  • Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)
  • The Season of Risks (Ethical Vampire #3)
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • The Road of the Dead
  • Snakecharm (The Kiesha'ra, #2)
  • Ruler of the Realm (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #3)
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • The Talisman (Daughters of the Moon, #10)
  • Circus of the Darned (Ben and Fran, #2)
  • Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales, #2)
  • The Wizard's Dilemma (Young Wizards, #5)
  • Foundling (Monster Blood Tattoo, #1)
  • Hell Week (Maggie Quinn: Girl Vs. Evil #2)
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best know for the Uglies and Leviathan series, and his next book, Afterworlds, comes out September 23, 2014.

His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation f
More about Scott Westerfeld...
Uglies (Uglies, #1) Pretties (Uglies, #2) Specials (Uglies, #3) Extras (Uglies, #4) Leviathan (Leviathan, #1)

“I expect that you must receive top marks at school, young lady."
Madeleine smiled as she stirred her tea. "There are always rewards for those who state the obvious frequently and with conviction.”
65 likes
“In the blue time, math kicked ass.
-Dess”