Start by marking “Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)” as Want to Read:
Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)

Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  2,994 ratings  ·  169 reviews
The lovable little worrywart introduced in Scaredy Squirrel is back and he's as neurotic as ever. In his latest adventure, Scaredy sets out to make the perfect friend--preferably one with no teeth, and who is germ-free and predictable. Illustrations.
Published March 1st 2007 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend

My four-year-old says this book is "powerful and sweet." I should really get this kid his own Goodreads profile.

(The star rating is mine. My son would give it five, but I knock off one star for every thirty times I've read a book.)
Ty O'Brien
*** Spoilers ***

This part is funny - where he makes a friend with a dog, they play hide and seek and play fetch with a hot dog. He even has a tag that says "Hello, My name is Scaredy!"
Jul 10, 2012 Rosa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Rosa by: Sahil Kumar
I cannot begin to express the magnificence of this extraordinary book; it embodies absolutely everything a distinguished published work should demonstrate. "Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend" has been overshadowed by literary debacles such as "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" or "Green Eggs and Ham" that both overcompensate for their lackluster plots and insignificant character development by dazzling readers with unnecessarily colourful pictures.

As an avid reader of fine fiction, I'm able to genuinel
Robert Beveridge
Melanie Watt, Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Kids Can, 2007)

Scaredy Squirrel is back, and despite finding many ways to occupy his time, he's decided he needs a friend. One day he spies a goldfish in the birdbath near the tree (how'd it get there? No idea) and decides that a goldfish would make the perfect friend. He devises a cunning plan to get from the tree to the birdbath, but of course things can't go quite right... I actually liked this one better than the first Scaredy Squirrel book; the
sweet pea
damn. do i love me some scaredy squirrel. i love his neuroses. i love his planning. i love his map and checklist. i love his new friend.

the drawings are bold and fun. godzilla has never looked so good. the book has enough elements to make it fun for adults and littles. the various lists and maps allow for a quick story or added exploration. although i am unsure if i would want to be friends with scaredy squirrel myself (i count both a walrus and a several beavers as friends), i am nevertheless
Lisa Vegan
I was afraid that Scaredy Squirrel might be a one hit wonder book, but I think I liked this one even more than the first book. I was chortling aloud at times. As a dog lover, I loved the dog in this book. Scaredy Squirrel is a wonderful character and Mélanie Watt is very funny, a good writer and illustrator, and I’m looking forward to reading books three and four.

As with the first book, the author biography and author "photo" illustration on the back inside cover of the book are charming and fun
Scaredy Squirrel written and illustrated by Melanie Watt

This story is about a girl who lives a very boring ordinary life. Scaredy Squirrel is too afraid to leave his tree so he never does. The story goes through the pros and cons of living in the tree all the time. It also goes on to explain what he is afraid of. One day, his emergency kit falls out of the tree so he jumps after it. This is when he realizes that he is a flying squirrel. After this, he realizes the unknown is not so scary and so
Veronica Wolkan
Title: Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend
Author: Melanie Watt
Genre: Online book (tumblebook)
Theme(s): Friendship, bravery
Opening line/sentence: Scaredy Squirrel doesn’t have a friend.
Brief Book Summary: Scaredy Squirrel ventures out to make a friend and he has his eye on a safe fish! He tries to make the perfect first impression gathering various items such as a lemon and a name tag. To his surprise, a giant dog wants to befriend him and Scaredy Squirrel is unsure about this!
Bought the book on Kobo, but it would not open. After a couple hours of unsuccessfully attempts to sync and a few conversations with support it was established that this book is incompatible with Kobo reader. Kobo, however, will NOT refund me the money, they'd only give me a store credit that I may be able to use for something but not for downloading books on kobo wireless e-reader. Do not download this book on Kobo, you will lose your money and will not get it back!
John Beeler
In describing this to my wife after reading it to Cosi, my three year old, I realized that it is a moral tale for geeky kids. The way that Watt narrates the story is not so much by illustrations as lists, charts, diagrams, and maps.

Which helps!

After reading it, Cosi looked me in the eyes and said, "Daddy, I want to go in the book!" I think that's about as fine a compliment as one can give a book.
Edward Creter
Scaredy Squirrel needs a friend to c all his own in this wonderful addition to the Scaredy squirrel canon. he thinks it's "safer" to befriend the neighborhood goldfish...and runs into a cute dog instead! OH NOOOO! A kind and loving dog! How Frightening! Even Godzilla (shown here as a cute rendering, which I'm sure Toho did NOT intend!) is not as frightening as a sweet, lovable pooch. And WHY? Cos love is scarier than any horror film! Ooooo, deep, huh? Yet after SS plays dead, he wakes up to the ...more
Edward Sullivan
Finding a friend is not easy for the paranoid but loveable little rodent.
Becky B
Scaredy Squirrel has decided to make a friend. Most friends are too dangerous, but he has decided that the goldfish in the fountain nearby looks ok. He is carefully planning his approach, when all of a sudden someone else volunteers to be Scaredy's friend. Buddy isn't as germ-free or safe as Scaredy might have chosen, but he seems to be a good friend despite his slobbery tendencies (and more fun than a goldfish).

A cute story about making new friends, and Scaredy overcoming another of his many pa
Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel) by Mélanie Watt is the sequel to Scaredy Squirrel with the ever-cautious Scaredy in careful, well-planned search mode for a safe friend.

Scaredy Squirrel sets out to make The Perfect Friend. Once he's spotted a perfectly safe candidate, Scaredy's ready. Armed with a name tag, mittens, a mirror and a lemon, he's prepared to make The Perfect First Impression. But Scaredy's Action Plan takes a surprising turn when he spots an unexpected animal in h
Grade/interest level: Primary (1st-3rd grade)
Reading level: 1st
Genre: Fiction
Main Characters: Scaredy Squirrel
Setting: Scaredy Squirrel’s Tree
Author: Melanie Watt
POV: from Scaredy Squirrel

This book is about Scaredy Squirrel who never sleeps at night. Scaredy refuses to sleep because he is too scared of being attacked by dragons, ghosts, vampire bats, and poke-a-dotted monsters. To stay up he occupies his time by counting stares, playing the cymbals, and doing other time keeping activities. He
Mar 10, 2011 Cathy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cathy by: Scaredy Squirrel
That lovable little worrywart is back. And he's as scaredy as ever! In his latest adventure, Scaredy Squirrel sets out to make The Perfect Friend. And once he's spotted a perfectly safe candidate (with no teeth or germs), Scaredy's ready. Armed with a name tag, mittens, a mirror and a lemon, he's prepared to make The Perfect First Impression. But just when every detail is under control, Scaredy's Action Plan takes a surprising -- and "toothy" -- turn ... Will he survive this ordeal? Will he find ...more
One of the reasons I love working in a library! I certainly don't look for picture books anymore but when I happen to spot one like this on the cart, well, how can you NOT read it?? Just a really great story!! I especially loved all the little extras like the warning in the beginning about having to brush your teeth before you can read the story...perfect for bedtime reading!!!
Rachel Barnard
Watt, Melanie. Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend. Kids Can Press, 2011.

This book is ideal for teaching sequence. My initial thoughts were oh boy this is going to be silly... I overall liked the book and can see reading it to children in general. The illustrations are appealing and cartoon like. This tumblebook could be shown in the classroom to students.
Rosa Cline
This book was written more in the comic book type more so than the original Scaredy Squirrel. The illistrations are good and clear not super jumbled up; I'm just not a fan of comic book type layouts for story books. This story would be better for older children that can read themselves. And they probably would laugh at Scaredy's antics at trying to find that perfect friend when he comes across a friend that wasn't on his list he's unsure what to do but he figures it all out and finds that even t ...more
Another instalment in the Scaredy Squirrel series, by Canadian author, Melanie Watt, Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend is about our favourite little squirrel, Scaredy, and his adventures to add a little company to his life.

As usual, Scaredy Squirrel is scared, scared, scared, and makes a great plan to leave his home to find this friend. As usual, he has a contingency plan set up and, as usual, nothing goes according to plan.

Full of more fantastic illustrations by Watt, this book teaches us that th
Jul 06, 2014 Tc rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: animals
This was an interesting book. It might not work as a read aloud, but I think it would be great fun to read in small group, or at home. There are great opportunities to learn about lists, tests and maps like the one made by Scaredy Squirrel. Teachers could use this book as an example before asking children to make maps of their own, or discussing following a map to a location. I can see children making a map for other students to use on a treasure hunt. Fun little book.
Xiyuan Ni
The little squirrel is lonely, and he has a perfect plan for making a perfect friend. When he meets the dog, they play together unconsciously. Actually the dog is just the right friend for the squirrel, even though it is not the model in the plan. Friendship just happens.
Audra Rowell
My favorite line in this Scaredy Squirrel adventure is "This was not a part of the plan!" For gifted learners, especially those who struggle with anxiety, this is a common thought. But Scaredy Squirrel once again proves to use that sometimes that best laid plans may go awry. And when they do, things can still turn out alright. In fact, sometimes, the end result is even better than what we originally hoped for.

There are several Scaredy Squirrel books and I love all of them. The illustrations, wh
Una historia divertida llena de detalle sy elementos graciosos. Cuando lo vi por primera vez me llamó la atención pero mi hijo era muy pequeeño para agarrarle la onda y ahora como 2 años después por fin me lo volví a encontrar, divertido si que si.
I read both Spanish and English versions. They were equally entertaining. I admire the way Watt pads Scaredy's comfort zone with a plethora of safety nets, then makes him step out of it in every book.
Rukshana Begum
Scaredy Squirrel is happy to be alone then risk meeting someone dangerous. When he spots a goldfish, he thinks the goldfish will make a perfect friend as the goldfish does not have any teeth and its clean. Scaredy Squirrel plans 'how to make the perfect first impression' when meeting someone new. He even prepares himself a name tag.But his plans do not quite seem to go as he wanted it to. He does make a new friend but it's not the goldfish, it's a dog. Scaredy Squirrel soon realises how much fun ...more
This is a funny and engaging book for elementary school readers. There is a lot to see and do on each page, and the characters are a lot of fun. Boys and girls would like this equally!
This was my first Scaredy Squirrel book and it was cute. I loved how neurotic he was including the teeth brushing instructions at the beginning. The illustrations were adorable.
Lindsey Jones
Sometimes the best of friends aren't the ones we expected! I love the Scaredy Squirrel books - cute story, fun pictures, a variety of text structures.
Cute story about the best laid out plans and what makes a true friend. The story can help open conversations about friendship . My 5 year old liked it.
  • Should I Share My Ice Cream?
  • Those Darn Squirrels!
  • Blue Chameleon
  • A Birthday for Cow!
  • Little Hoot
  • Chowder
It was in a design class taught by Michèle Lemieux at the University of Quebec in Montreal that author and illustrator Mélanie Watt created her first picture book, Leon the Chameleon, which was later published by Kids Can Press. Watt went on to create several more books, including the Learning with Animals collection and Augustine, which was named an ALA Notable Children's Book. Watt has also illu ...more
More about Mélanie Watt...

Scaredy Squirrel (8 books)
  • Scaredy Squirrel (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night