Start by marking “Scaredy Squirrel (Scaredy Squirrel)” as Want to Read:
Scaredy Squirrel (Scaredy Squirrel)

Scaredy Squirrel (Scaredy Squirrel #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  11,947 Ratings  ·  622 Reviews
Scaredy Squirrel never leaves his nut tree. It's way too dangerous out there. He could encounter tarantulas, green Martians or killer bees. But in his tree, every day is the same and if danger comes along, he's well-prepared. Scaredy Squirrel's emergency kit includes antibacterial soap, Band-Aids and a parachute.

Day after day he watches and waits, and waits and watches, un
Published February 1st 2006 by Kids Can Press (first published January 10th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Scaredy Squirrel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scaredy Squirrel

Philip
Jun 24, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Philip by: Luann
I stole this style of review from Heather's (well, Heather's daughter's) fantastic review of Ladybug Girl at the Beach. Her review is a lot more... focused.

Interviewer/ Dad: What did you think about Scaredy Squirrel?

Eleanor: I thought it was good.

Gwennie: Scardey Squirrel's about scarey.

Dad: Ellie, why did you like it?

Eleanor: Because I wanted to. Why are you typing that?

Dad: Gwennie, did you like Scaredy Squirrel?

Gwennie: Yeah.

Dad: Why?

Gwennie: Because Scaredy is scarey scarey...

Dad: What happe
Rossy
Jan 12, 2015 Rossy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I think the layout was so cute and organized! And the "warning" at the beginning of the book: "Scaredy Squirrel insists that everyone wash their hands with antibacterial soap before reading this book" was so funny!
Kajwan
Feb 20, 2017 Kajwan rated it really liked it
Simple and clear it tells the story of our mental fears and their impact on our lives.
Highly recommended to all politicians and generals!
Toby
Feb 21, 2009 Toby rated it really liked it
2010 Monarch Award master list
`From the flap copy: ‘Here’s the story, in a nutshell: I never leave my nut tree. It’s way too dangerous out there. I could encounter germs, poison ivy or sharks. If danger comes along, I’m prepared. I have antibacterial soap, Band-Aids and a parachute. But things really get shaken up later in the book when I’m forced out of my tree by a vicious intruder! Will I survive this ordeal? Will I undergo a life-changing experience? Will I discover my true inner self?’ No
Lisa Vegan
Aug 19, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: adults, “older” kids who enjoy picture books, anyone who needs to broaden their horizons
This is adorable. I think young kids will get the gist but it helps to be older to understand all the inside information. This is one of those picture books (such as Oh, the Places You'll Go! ) that can make a great gift for adults.

I loved the smiling bees, although I’m not sure I’m particularly fond of the pictures, as I was in Watt’s Chester books. I’m afraid of bees. (Mélanie Watt is afraid of sharks.) Scaredy Squirrel is afraid of a lot of things, including some things that are outlandish (f
Luann
May 06, 2011 Luann rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Luann by: Lisa Vegan
Scaredy Squirrel is awesome! Scaredy Squirrel is also: predictable, prepared, organized, vigilant, adventurous, and unpredictable. By extension, Mélanie Watt must also be: predictable, prepared, organized, vigilant, adventurous, unpredictable and, most definitely, awesome!

I love that Scaredy Squirrel makes lists and tries his utmost to be prepared for the things that scare him. I also love how he responds when his life becomes a bit topsy-turvy!

Thanks so much to my GR friend Lisa for recommendi
Kathryn
Sep 08, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Abigail
Haha! SO amusing! I know the feeling; some days you just want to stay safe and sound in your tree--er, your home--and not worry about all the nasty things out there in the world. But, then, things would get a bit boring if you did that every day! This is the tale of how Scaredy Squirrel gets tired of his life of eating nuts and looking at the view from his tree, has a surprising adventure (will he even have to use his emergency kit?) and discovers that he may just have to vary his routine in the ...more
Danielle
Sep 25, 2009 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: turkeybird, childrens
The Turkeybird Speaks(My 3 year old son's POV): "This book is one of those that I just can't put down. My favorite is when my dad reads it, 'wake up, eat a nut, look at a view, eat a nut...', he just does such a good job! Scaredy Squirrel is one of those characters you love instantly, I mean, he's really a flying squirrel! He can fly! How cool is that? And he's afraid of bee's and I am not a fan at all. I once had one sting me and my thumb swelled up like a balloon! So of course you want to stay ...more
Laura Lee Denby
Oct 01, 2012 Laura Lee Denby rated it it was amazing
Scaredy Squirrel is a beautifully written witty book about courage and knowing our fears.
The book is about a nervous squirrel who never ever leaves the safety of his little nut tree in to the dangerous realms of The Unknown! He is scared of many things, including germs, and indeed instructs us to wash our hands with antibacterial soap before reading any further! Scaredy Squirrel is scared of: green Martians, killer bees, tarantulas, poison ivy and sharks. Of course none of these creatures are in
Kristine Hansen
Aug 28, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it really liked it
A highly relatable story about fear and the hold it can have on you. A good book to read with the timid. BUT it's also a good book for those who live with those who are anxious. I see a lot more to this book than what's originally intended for the younger audience. Living with anxiety I relate to the need for routine and sameness, and also the frustration of being trapped in that loop. It will be interesting to see what else the series has to offer.
Feb 28, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
My Kindergarten class looooves Scaredy Squirrel now. So much fun to read with them!
❀Aimee❀ Just one more page...
Cute, funny, quirky. A great read for kiddos.
Nancy Kotkin
Text: 5 stars
Illustrations: 5 stars

Brilliant picture book about a squirrel who feels fearful and anxious towards life, so he copes by trying to control every single possibility. But when an unexpected situation arises, he learns that he has a more adventurous spirit then he realized, and his body is equipped for it as well.

The book is full of Scaredy Squirrel's lists, checklists, diagrams, schedules, maps, plans, and instructions. Simple iconic illustrations complement the text perfectly.
Jamie
Apr 04, 2017 Jamie added it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Maybe it's because I feel like the human version of scaredy squirrel.
0k(Colin Mountain)
Feb 02, 2017 0k(Colin Mountain) rated it it was amazing
It has a squirrel and he is a scared from lots of things
Sabrina
May 10, 2009 Sabrina rated it it was amazing
Stefani Sloma
Aug 15, 2014 Stefani Sloma rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me on Goodreads in the little sidebar based on something else that I had read (I can’t remember what at the moment), and I thought it looked pretty cute. I requested it at the library where I work and decided to take it home to read instead of reading it at work like I usually do (it’s only 40 pages so it took about five seconds).

It’s really cute! Scaredy Squirrel never leaves his tree; it’s safe, has a great view, and has plenty of nuts for him to eat. The rest of t
Brenna McEvitt
May 03, 2011 Brenna McEvitt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: k-3-books
This book tells the tale of Scaredy Squirrel, who is so scared to leave his tree that he never experiences life. One day he finds himself out of his tree and is forced to face the world. This is a great book to teach theme with or to teach voice (since Scaredy Squirrel writes his own lists and speaks to the reader). Awards for this book include:
Black-Eyed Susan Award, Maryland Educational Media , winner
Children’s Choice Picture Book Award, Washington Library Media , shortlist
Libr
Rebecca Brown
Oct 31, 2013 Rebecca Brown rated it really liked it
This is a story about a very scared squirrel who never leaves his nut tree. He has lots of worries and fears about the unknown world outside his nut tree and is very conscious that germs are everywhere. He likes to think he is a well prepared squirrel with his emergency kit for if anything unexpected where to happen.

I really like this book, it’s very simple and easy to read but there are a lot of engaging pages to the book. It doesn’t read like the usual flow of a story, but has lists and diagra
Connie
Nov 06, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was introduced to this book at library storytime. The librarians really like this book and the sequels, and the kids there get into it a lot.

Scaredy squirrel is afraid of... well... everything. Mostly the unknown. After all - it may contain sharks! Or germs! Or green martians! Or... KILLER BEES!!!!! So he just stays in his tree. He can eat a nut and look at the view, eat a nut and look at the view all day long. No excitement. No danger. Everything absolutely under control.

Until a killer bee ap
Lauren
Dec 01, 2016 Lauren added it
Scaredy Squirrel is too scared to leave his nut tree because his tree is safe and familiar. He doesn’t want to venture into the unknown because it seems very scary, and he is already scared of tarantulas, poison ivy, germs, sharks, killer bees, and green Martians. He has a daily routine and is very prepared with his own emergency kit. It includes a list of fun things that he believes will keep him safe. Then the worst happens and a killer bee appears and he knocks his emergency kit out of the tr ...more
Jessie Bear
Scaredy Squirrel is a homebody, afraid to leave his tree for the vast unknown for fear of germs, killer bees, sharks, green Martians, etc. This delightful tale teaches kids about taking new chances or trying something new, but reads in a humorous rather than didactic tone. Scaredy Squirrel is an exaggerated character with strict routines and organized rational lists. He’s endearing to children and a memorable character. Scaredy Squirrel’s lists and diagrams also contribute to a unique storytelli ...more
Ana
Mar 30, 2011 Ana rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I wonder if there are certain children's books that pose as "picture books"... but are really secretly intended for us "big kids" and are only trying to get a giggle out of us. Because that is exactly what happened when all of us in the staff here at our library got a hold of this gem!

Written perhaps for a more detail-oriented crowd, Scaredy Squirrel is the tale of a most cautious, attentive squirrel who comes complete with his own set of fears, an affinity for weighing pros and cons,
Joy
Apr 04, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Scaredy Squirrel is mostly content in his lovely, safe treetop where he can avoid the many things he's afraid to encounter (i.e. bees, poison ivy, sharks). He's super prepared for any and every eventuality with his trusty plan and emergency kit. He feels pretty secure. Of course when he is detailing how wonderfully prepared he is, things don't go to plan and Scaredy Squirrel is forced to leave his secure home. Fortunately, even without his detailed plan and many emergency items, Scaredy Squirrel ...more
Dee
Jul 13, 2010 Dee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Scaredy cats
Recommended to Dee by: Kathy Manning, keep them coming
Shelves: children-s-books
This is one scared squirrel. I wish my neighboring squirrels would stay in their trees. He is afraid of everything. I love how he makes lists. Here are a few things he is afraid of: tarantulas (me too), germs, killer bees (me too) and sharks (me too). I wonder how many sharks he runs into? He shows the advantages and disadvantages of leaving his safe haven. We see his daily routine, boring. But rest assured, he is prepared if he decides to leave. He's got it all covered. Will he leave his safety ...more
Traci Bold
Mar 07, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
Every child faces a fear or two. Some kids have it worse and face everything. That is, they are scared of almost everything and it really sucks. Mélanie Watt takes these fears to heart and has created a wonderful, beloved character in 'Scaredy Squirrel'. This squirrel is the perfect companion to us scaredy cats everywhere who want a buddy to hang with while we face our fears.

Fantastic book, humorous and poignant at the same time.

Published by Kids Can Press.
Lisa
Feb 27, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
A fun little picture book about a squirrel who is afraid to venture out of his nut tree. He is so afraid of the unknown, that he creates an emergency kit and an action plan ready to enforce if anything goes wrong. But when a "killer bee" arrives at his tree, things suddenly go very wrong, and the orderly plans have to change. I love this silly squirrel and can't wait to read my kids the rest of the books about him :).
Ty O'Brien
Mar 02, 2015 Ty O'Brien rated it liked it
*** SPOILERS ***

Its really just about him, he doesn't want to come out of his tree because he thinks there are bad things around him. But then one day he comes out of the tree and sees all the scary things but when he gets back in the tree he sees that there is nothing scary.

My favourite part is when he climbs all through the trees because it looks funny when he is popping up in all the different places.
Stacy Slater
"Awesome!' cried my six-year-old daughter when I presented her with her very own copy of Scaredy Squirrel. It's currently number one on her class's favorites list, and with good reason. We laughed ourselves silly at Scaredy Squirrel's emergency kit and reluctance to leave his tree, then cheered his bravery at finally leaping from said tree into the UNKNOWN.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Melanie Watt has become a new favorite illustrator author. I am loving her stuff. the Scaredy Squirrel series is great. Formulaic in some ways but in just the right way. My niece and I giggled through this and the others.
Goodreads Librari...: "Book" needs deleting 2 20 Sep 28, 2016 09:27PM
  • Do Unto Otters: A Book About Manners
  • Z Is for Moose
  • Children Make Terrible Pets
  • Not a Box
It was in a design class taught by Michèle Lemieux at the University of Quebec in Montreal that author and illustrator Mélanie Watt created her first picture book, Leon the Chameleon, which was later published by Kids Can Press. Watt went on to create several more books, including the Learning with Animals collection and Augustine, which was named an ALA Notable Children's Book. Watt has also illu ...more
More about Mélanie Watt...

Scaredy Squirrel (8 books)
  • Scaredy Squirrel Makes a Friend (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night