Start by marking “Remembering Blue” as Want to Read:
Remembering Blue

Remembering Blue

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  430 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Emotionally neglected by her mother, abandoned by her father, Mattie O’Rourke spent her childhood starved for the one thing she thought she’d never find: love. When her mother dies and, at twenty-two, she finds herself completely without ties of any kind, Mattie takes a chance at ending her loneliness and moves to a tiny coastal Florida town. At the Suwannee Swifty conveni ...more
Published May 29th 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Remembering Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembering Blue

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina SimonsOutlander by Diana GabaldonPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTatiana and Alexander by Paullina SimonsJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
The Best Epic Love Stories
73rd out of 287 books — 663 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakPhenomena by Susan TarrThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Books that made you cry. =’(
174th out of 261 books — 355 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
I had forgotten how much I love this book and its characters. Nick Blue is the man we all want to love, and are also afraid to love. This book reminded me that in my soul I am a romantic- I love the part where Mattie fantasies about being trapped inside the house with Nick during a hurricane, and grilling gruyere sandwiches together. This is something that I would think about, and after I read this, it is something I want to do, hunker down during a snowstorm (I am in Michigan)with my husband an ...more
Sara
I loved this story. It was a little difficult for me to get into at first, I struggled through it. I found myself not into the early remembering passages, I just couldn't feel their power. But when I finally forced myself to push through it - I was so glad I did. This love story is powerful and fragile. I could feel and taste the salt and wind of the gulf. My heart rate accelerated towards the end when I wondered just which scene would be Nicholas's final one and my tears flowed when it came. Bu ...more
Heather
Dec 26, 2007 Heather rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: A Close Girlfriend, A Sensitive Man
This is a beautiful story of a woman with no past. A bleak start - deserted by her father and neglected by her mohter. She lives in books and fog until she meets her destiny in the convenience store in which she works. Thus begins her journey into discovering her self. A wonderful family embraces her and her garden becomes a metaphor for self growth. First a yard covered with rubble, debris, and magical gems - divided into three incomprehensible piles - tossed, repaired, or cherished. Then tille ...more
Emma
This is the supreme love story. The heroine, Matty, finds love in a Greek fishing settlement off the coast of Florida. She has been starved and hungry for love her entire life due to her cold and indifferent parents. She finds the man and falls in love with him, his family and his way of life. Her love is poignant and satisfying. Her husband, Blue, is a bottomless character who becomes real in Fowler's beautiful book full of unique imagery and masterful language.
Ashlee
I adore this book, it is set in an area of North Florida I grew up in and is near and dear to my heart I just totally got it. I felt like i knew every character. Next time you head to the beach pick it up and spend some time alone with Blue. I was sad when it ended.
David
I read this as part of a Winter Reading program at a prestigious college ten years ago, which is a polite way of saying that I was forced to read it. If my grades and, subsequently, my future career were not at stake, then I would not have been able to willingly rake my eyeballs over the "greeting card" poetic level of prose-words cobbled together which make this a book.
Janie
This was my second read of the book, having read it years ago I came across it and decided to read it again since I couldn't really remember what it was about. That's one thing, the cover and blurb were so appealing it made me read it twice! Since I also lived in FL for 6 years and recently relocated to TN the book made me homesick for FL. I would love to move back.
As for the book itself, I really enjoyed the narrative of the recent widow and her story of how she met and fell in love with a fis
Erin
I found this book and the author's writing technique very difficult to get into. In other cases, I may have even give up on it, but I persisted because I was determined to find out how Nick Blue inevitably dies.

I did think that some of Ms. Fowler's descriptions of Florida and the sea were beautiful, but I think she could have left some of it in less detail. I for one, could have really benefited from more background on Mattie and Nick's time together and/or Mattie's adolescence.

I would be inte
sisterimapoet
Apr 22, 2008 sisterimapoet rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to sisterimapoet by: Mew
Shelves: fiction-2008
One of those books that I would have overlooked were it not for a personal recommendation, due to its off-putting cover and plot description.

Essentially also an off-putting plot for me - love and lost love stuff. But elevated wholly by the setting and the writing. How can I resist people whose passion for each other is only rivalled by their passion for the sea.

I also loved the confessional tone the narrator took. I felt throughout like she was addressing the story just to me. I liked the way t
Jacki
This is one of those rare books for me where the writing impressed me but the story let me down. I loved the descriptions of people, events, and feelings, but the actual plot was kind of dry. You knew going into it that Nick dies and the whole book is a lead up to that... but when it comes around, it was pretty anti-climatic.

This isn't to say that the book is unenjoyable though. It was lyrical. The descriptions of her life with Nick were beautiful and even though I knew it was going to have a tr
Wella
Apr 18, 2014 Wella added it
so i bought this book at booksale coz I think that reading a second-hand book feels more interesting rather than buying a new one.

About this book, I don't know where my imagination would take me due to the impressive talent of the writer. The way she twistes the words is brief and clear. Not to mention that she is too powerful she inspired me to write! I'm still at the first part of the book and I'm hoping to finish it this week.
Robyn
I just really really liked this book. I always looked forward to reading it. The author does a great job of creating a sense of place. It took place in the Gulf islands area of Florida near Tallahassee where my mom lives. I did a lot of driving around this are for my job when I lived there so it was very vivid for me. It made me miss being near the ocean. I loved all the characters in this book and it is a very nice love story.
Desiree
Tremendous.

I challenge anyone to read this without crying. Hell, I challenge anyone to read this without crying ONLY when Blue dies, which we know from page one-- from the title!-- is coming. (How can you cry when you know it's coming? Oh, you can.)

Just the most heartfelt, poignant, poetic, beautiful language, characters, story... Just about impeccable.
Melissa
I loved the beginning of the book but my enthusiasm started to wane at the halfway point. It's a love story set in the panhandle of Florida, an area I have visited, so I enjoyed being able to "picture" what the author was describing. As a matter of fact, I was on vacation there when I started the book. However, I expected it to be much more touching.
Cara Achterberg
I love Connie May Fowlers writing so I could read her if it was a manual on toilet repair. Beautiful imagery and descriptions in this book which was too short. Maybe not my favorite of her books though because she started with the ending so I knew it would be sad. I would have preferred to hold out hope longer. Fascinating characters and setting.
Jill
This is a love story, but it is a completely unconventional one. The writing is sharp, sort of knife-edged. I didn't think I'd like it as well as I did, and I know I started it before. But, the author took me to Florida, and made me understand why she loved the places the novel was set.
Marianne
I did like this book alot. I loved all the references and symbolism in regards to the sea, especially about the dolphins. While I felt it sappy in areas, it more than made up for it as the story progressed. Very lyrical/great love story that didn't make me want to throw up.
Christa Mcbride
Overall I thought that this book was okay. It was well written and the romance portion was good. It was not a book that I would want to recommend to my friends to read. However, I did continue to read it until the very end. Each chapter wanted left me wanting to read more.

Grace
A beautiful story of an etherial romance. Fell in love with the characters. Setting was excitingly familiar to me: an island on the gulf coast. I was particularly drawn to and warmed by the story and voice given to an area I love and know well...
Krista
Connie May Fowler is one of my favorite authors, but was a dissapointed in this one. Her writing is very descriptive, but the story rather slow and anti-climactic. You know from the beginning what is going to happen.
Jeanine Halada
I cried and cried and cried and cried when I read this novel. I recognized all the landmarks. I identified with the story and my heart truly broke--these characters touched me to my very soul.
Susan
Having lived close to where this Novel takes place,I have a very emotional attachment to this beautiful.story of love,hardship and Beauty of the area that surrounds the Appalachicola Area in NE Fl...
Kristine
This book is probably in my top twenty and I have read it several times. A must read for anyone looking for a love story that isn't your ordinary cookie cutter kind.
Vivian
Had to give up on this one. It dragged along so painfully slow that after 50 some pages, I was bored to tears. The characters were just to weird for me.
Pam Oconnor
A story about a great love, between a man and a woman and between a man and the sea. It is a bittersweet story but really well written and beautiful.
Rebecca
Sappy and predictable: not nearly as good as Before Women had Wings. And the fact her main character in this book was reading that book was groan-worthy.
Becky Stewart
It's hard to make yourself finish a book when the narrator tells you the ending on the first page, and it's a sad ending.
Judy
Mar 15, 2009 Judy marked it as to-read
Shelves: female-author
I received this book as a birthday gift this year from a Bookcrosser friend. It's been on my nightstand waiting to be read.
Connie Grover
Meh! I was so excited about this author after I read "How Clarissa Burden Learned To Fly". I guess that one was the high mark.
Cindy
I got to page 92 and decided not to finish. If a book doesn't capture my attention by then, it's a lost cause!
  • Out of the Blue
  • January Thaw
  • End of Days: Predictions and Prophecies About the End of the World
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • Loving Chloe
  • Jennifer Johnson Is Sick of Being Married: A Novel
  • The Good Men
  • Self Talk, Soul Talk: What to Say When You Talk to Yourself
  • The Mediterranean Prescription: Meal Plans and Recipes to Help You Stay Slim and Healthy for the Rest of Your Life
  • The Whole Truth (Marie Lightfoot, #1)
  • Self-Esteem: Your Fundamental Power
  • Edgar Cayce: An American Prophet
  • George Anderson's Lessons from the Light: Extraordinary Messages of Comfort and Hope from the Other Side
  • The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods
  • The Science of Enlightenment
  • Chakra Balancing: A Guide to Healing and Awakening Your Energy Body [With Cards and Workbook and 2 CDs]
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • 500 Low-Carb Recipes: 500 Recipes, from Snacks to Dessert, That the Whole Family Will Love
Before Women Had Wings The Problem with Murmur Lee Sugar Cage How Clarissa Burden Learned to Fly When Katie Wakes