Start by marking “Remembering Blue” as Want to Read:
Remembering Blue

Remembering Blue

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  497 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Emotionally neglected by her mother, abandoned by her father, Mattie O’Rourke spent her childhood starved for the one thing she thought she’d never find: love. When her mother dies and, at twenty-two, she finds herself completely without ties of any kind, Mattie takes a chance at ending her loneliness and moves to a tiny coastal Florida town. At the Suwannee Swifty conveni ...more
Published May 29th 2001 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Remembering Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Remembering Blue

The Bronze Horseman by Paullina SimonsOutlander by Diana GabaldonPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenTatiana and Alexander by Paullina SimonsJane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
The Best Epic Love Stories
106th out of 454 books — 871 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakWords are our Sorcery by Karl WigginsPhenomena by Susan Tarr
Books that made you cry. =’(
209th out of 287 books — 380 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin
Aug 18, 2009 Erin rated it it was amazing
I had forgotten how much I love this book and its characters. Nick Blue is the man we all want to love, and are also afraid to love. This book reminded me that in my soul I am a romantic- I love the part where Mattie fantasies about being trapped inside the house with Nick during a hurricane, and grilling gruyere sandwiches together. This is something that I would think about, and after I read this, it is something I want to do, hunker down during a snowstorm (I am in Michigan)with my husband an ...more
Sara
Aug 19, 2009 Sara rated it liked it
I loved this story. It was a little difficult for me to get into at first, I struggled through it. I found myself not into the early remembering passages, I just couldn't feel their power. But when I finally forced myself to push through it - I was so glad I did. This love story is powerful and fragile. I could feel and taste the salt and wind of the gulf. My heart rate accelerated towards the end when I wondered just which scene would be Nicholas's final one and my tears flowed when it came. Bu ...more
Heather
Dec 26, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: A Close Girlfriend, A Sensitive Man
This is a beautiful story of a woman with no past. A bleak start - deserted by her father and neglected by her mohter. She lives in books and fog until she meets her destiny in the convenience store in which she works. Thus begins her journey into discovering her self. A wonderful family embraces her and her garden becomes a metaphor for self growth. First a yard covered with rubble, debris, and magical gems - divided into three incomprehensible piles - tossed, repaired, or cherished. Then tille ...more
Emma
Jul 26, 2012 Emma rated it it was amazing
This is the supreme love story. The heroine, Matty, finds love in a Greek fishing settlement off the coast of Florida. She has been starved and hungry for love her entire life due to her cold and indifferent parents. She finds the man and falls in love with him, his family and his way of life. Her love is poignant and satisfying. Her husband, Blue, is a bottomless character who becomes real in Fowler's beautiful book full of unique imagery and masterful language.
Ashlee
Apr 19, 2008 Ashlee rated it it was amazing
I adore this book, it is set in an area of North Florida I grew up in and is near and dear to my heart I just totally got it. I felt like i knew every character. Next time you head to the beach pick it up and spend some time alone with Blue. I was sad when it ended.
David
Jun 19, 2014 David rated it did not like it
I read this as part of a Winter Reading program at a prestigious college ten years ago, which is a polite way of saying that I was forced to read it. If my grades and, subsequently, my future career were not at stake, then I would not have been able to willingly rake my eyeballs over the "greeting card" poetic level of prose-words cobbled together which make this a book.
Sarah Cain
Oct 27, 2015 Sarah Cain rated it really liked it
Ever read one of those books where the story seemed to last a lifetime? In a good way, that is this book. Every part of the story gripped me and I felt like I knew everything about the characters' lives. Enjoyed it.

I will say that the writing style, at first, was hard to get into, but in the end, i'm glad I stuck with it. I wish this story was brought to film.
Janie
Apr 17, 2012 Janie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was my second read of the book, having read it years ago I came across it and decided to read it again since I couldn't really remember what it was about. That's one thing, the cover and blurb were so appealing it made me read it twice! Since I also lived in FL for 6 years and recently relocated to TN the book made me homesick for FL. I would love to move back.
As for the book itself, I really enjoyed the narrative of the recent widow and her story of how she met and fell in love with a fis
Erin
Feb 28, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
I found this book and the author's writing technique very difficult to get into. In other cases, I may have even give up on it, but I persisted because I was determined to find out how Nick Blue inevitably dies.

I did think that some of Ms. Fowler's descriptions of Florida and the sea were beautiful, but I think she could have left some of it in less detail. I for one, could have really benefited from more background on Mattie and Nick's time together and/or Mattie's adolescence.

I would be inte
sisterimapoet
Apr 22, 2008 sisterimapoet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to sisterimapoet by: Mew
Shelves: fiction-2008
One of those books that I would have overlooked were it not for a personal recommendation, due to its off-putting cover and plot description.

Essentially also an off-putting plot for me - love and lost love stuff. But elevated wholly by the setting and the writing. How can I resist people whose passion for each other is only rivalled by their passion for the sea.

I also loved the confessional tone the narrator took. I felt throughout like she was addressing the story just to me. I liked the way t
Sjk0508
Mar 11, 2015 Sjk0508 rated it liked it
Was a pleasant read...only finished it because I started it.
Jacki
May 02, 2009 Jacki rated it liked it
This is one of those rare books for me where the writing impressed me but the story let me down. I loved the descriptions of people, events, and feelings, but the actual plot was kind of dry. You knew going into it that Nick dies and the whole book is a lead up to that... but when it comes around, it was pretty anti-climatic.

This isn't to say that the book is unenjoyable though. It was lyrical. The descriptions of her life with Nick were beautiful and even though I knew it was going to have a tr
Karschtl
I read only the first couple of pages and decided very quickly that I'm not interested, although it might have been a sweet (but also tragic) love-story.
Wella
Apr 18, 2014 Wella added it
so i bought this book at booksale coz I think that reading a second-hand book feels more interesting rather than buying a new one.

About this book, I don't know where my imagination would take me due to the impressive talent of the writer. The way she twistes the words is brief and clear. Not to mention that she is too powerful she inspired me to write! I'm still at the first part of the book and I'm hoping to finish it this week.
Robyn
Mar 21, 2009 Robyn rated it it was amazing
I just really really liked this book. I always looked forward to reading it. The author does a great job of creating a sense of place. It took place in the Gulf islands area of Florida near Tallahassee where my mom lives. I did a lot of driving around this are for my job when I lived there so it was very vivid for me. It made me miss being near the ocean. I loved all the characters in this book and it is a very nice love story.
Desiree
Apr 23, 2013 Desiree rated it it was amazing
Tremendous.

I challenge anyone to read this without crying. Hell, I challenge anyone to read this without crying ONLY when Blue dies, which we know from page one-- from the title!-- is coming. (How can you cry when you know it's coming? Oh, you can.)

Just the most heartfelt, poignant, poetic, beautiful language, characters, story... Just about impeccable.
Melissa
Apr 14, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
I loved the beginning of the book but my enthusiasm started to wane at the halfway point. It's a love story set in the panhandle of Florida, an area I have visited, so I enjoyed being able to "picture" what the author was describing. As a matter of fact, I was on vacation there when I started the book. However, I expected it to be much more touching.
Cara Achterberg
Oct 14, 2013 Cara Achterberg rated it really liked it
I love Connie May Fowlers writing so I could read her if it was a manual on toilet repair. Beautiful imagery and descriptions in this book which was too short. Maybe not my favorite of her books though because she started with the ending so I knew it would be sad. I would have preferred to hold out hope longer. Fascinating characters and setting.
Jill
Apr 25, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it
This is a love story, but it is a completely unconventional one. The writing is sharp, sort of knife-edged. I didn't think I'd like it as well as I did, and I know I started it before. But, the author took me to Florida, and made me understand why she loved the places the novel was set.
Marianne
Sep 29, 2008 Marianne rated it it was amazing
I did like this book alot. I loved all the references and symbolism in regards to the sea, especially about the dolphins. While I felt it sappy in areas, it more than made up for it as the story progressed. Very lyrical/great love story that didn't make me want to throw up.
Christa Mcbride
Apr 30, 2012 Christa Mcbride rated it it was ok
Overall I thought that this book was okay. It was well written and the romance portion was good. It was not a book that I would want to recommend to my friends to read. However, I did continue to read it until the very end. Each chapter wanted left me wanting to read more.

Melissa
Mar 12, 2015 Melissa rated it did not like it
Shelves: vcfa
Why oh why was this story told by Mattie?
Grace
Feb 28, 2008 Grace rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story of an etherial romance. Fell in love with the characters. Setting was excitingly familiar to me: an island on the gulf coast. I was particularly drawn to and warmed by the story and voice given to an area I love and know well...
Krista
Dec 29, 2009 Krista rated it it was ok
Connie May Fowler is one of my favorite authors, but was a dissapointed in this one. Her writing is very descriptive, but the story rather slow and anti-climactic. You know from the beginning what is going to happen.
Jeanine Halada
Jun 15, 2011 Jeanine Halada rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
I cried and cried and cried and cried when I read this novel. I recognized all the landmarks. I identified with the story and my heart truly broke--these characters touched me to my very soul.
Susan
Jan 14, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
Having lived close to where this Novel takes place,I have a very emotional attachment to this beautiful.story of love,hardship and Beauty of the area that surrounds the Appalachicola Area in NE Fl...
Kristine
Aug 12, 2012 Kristine rated it it was amazing
This book is probably in my top twenty and I have read it several times. A must read for anyone looking for a love story that isn't your ordinary cookie cutter kind.
Vivian
Aug 24, 2012 Vivian rated it did not like it
Shelves: tried-to-read
Had to give up on this one. It dragged along so painfully slow that after 50 some pages, I was bored to tears. The characters were just to weird for me.
Pam Oconnor
Jul 17, 2011 Pam Oconnor rated it really liked it
A story about a great love, between a man and a woman and between a man and the sea. It is a bittersweet story but really well written and beautiful.
Rebecca
Mar 07, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
Sappy and predictable: not nearly as good as Before Women had Wings. And the fact her main character in this book was reading that book was groan-worthy.
  • The Good Men
  • Out of the Blue
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
  • End of Days: Predictions and Prophecies About the End of the World
  • January Thaw
  • Big Girls Don't Whine: Getting On With the Great Life God Intends
  • The Wisdom of James Allen: Five Books in One: As a Man Thinketh: The Path to Prosperity: The Mastery of Destiny: The Way of Peace: Entering the Kingdom
  • Jennifer Johnson Is Sick of Being Married: A Novel
  • Volunteer Vacations: Short-Term Adventures That Will Benefit You and Others
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • The Puppy Whisperer: A Compassionate, Nonviolent Guide to Early Training and Care
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Genealogy
  • Dogs and the Women Who Love Them: Extraordinary True Stories of Loyalty, Healing, and Inspiration
  • Notes on Cooking: A Short Guide to an Essential Craft
  • The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods
  • Self Talk, Soul Talk: What to Say When You Talk to Yourself