Start by marking “Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Becoming Orthodox: A J...

Peter E. Gillquist

Becoming Orthodox: A Journey to the Ancient Christian Faith

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  26 reviews

This revised edition includes a new epilogue, 'Coming up on Twenty-Five Years' since the entry of the Evangelical Orthodox into the Holy Orthodox Church. This is the story of a handful of courageous men and their congregations who risked stable occupations, security and the approval of life-long friends to be obedient to God's call.

It is also the story of every believer wh

Published September 1st 1989 by Wolgemuth & Hyatt, Publishers, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Orthodox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Becoming Orthodox

Lisa Wuertz
I think this book does the best of all I have read of addressing the many issues Protestant converts and their families would face. Gillquist does it in a manner that is very down to earth and easy to read. I think this is also just a great book for Christians to read in general even if they are not remotely considering Orthodoxy. There is a lot to be gleaned from these pages. The book specifically addressed several things that have come up as walls for me, but was very brief and as such unfortu...more
Christopher
BECOMING ORTHODOX is a personal testimonial by Fr Peter Guilquist written to track the conversion of nearly a thousand Evangelical Protestants to Orthodox Christianity in 1987. This mass conversion was one of the biggest events in modern American Orthodoxy, and Fr Guilquist's book paints a vivid picture of the theological wrestling and jurisdictional complications which ended in the reception of the converts in the Antiochian Orthodox Church.

Fr Guilquist and many other leaders of this movement s...more
Brad and Suzanne
This book is one that keeps to a very simple purpose and executes it well. It’s casual, easy reading that at times can be cheesy, but there lies the book’s genius. It lends itself to a surprisingly greater level of take-away on major theology tenets separating Orthodoxy and Protestantism, whereas other books, for me at least, I find myself bunkered down carefully slaving over every paragraph like it were an Orthodox treatise. Fr. Gillquist discusses these tenets subjectively as it relates to his...more
Jerry
What do you get when a sentimental and provincial Protestant (Gillquist was a Campus Crusade director in the 60s), ignorant of his own tradition, falls in love with the smells and bells of Eastern Orthodoxy? This testimony. Protestants really need to recover the beauty and maturity of the liturgy and our ancient church. Sadly, Eastern Orthodoxy believes it's the only true church and cuts of fellowship (and communion) from other churches. Which of course, like other spots and blemishes, will be l...more
Suzy
Non-fiction. Peter Gillquist "coming to Orthodoxy" biography, of sorts. Gillquist and a large group of protestants return to the Orthodox faith after years of "searching". It's interesting how they got there....though the book felt a little narcissistic at times. The theology portions were very interesting and helpful for parts of my thesis research.
David
An interesting account of what eventually became a mass conversion. However, Gilquist, I believe, can at times be a bit simplistic and anachronistic. Perhaps he is carrying over quite a few Evangelical prejudices. History and theological development are a tad more complicated than Gilquist makes them seem.
Marianne Ogden
For those who think that the early church is no more, look again. The earliest traditions have continued for two thousand years through the Orthodox church. If you are curious about it, here is the book for you.
Patrick Williams
This book was good at first but it got a little boring and I could not finish it (this was just me, though, I'm sure). I recommend it as a very BASIC book and introduction of Peter's journey to the Orthdox Church. Their journey part (the first part) is interesting. Basically, Peter and his friends were part of Campus Crusade for Christ and they wanted to mimic the earliest forms of Christianity in the worship and lifestyle in the churches they had started ("planted" in today's parlance! : - ). S...more
Ruth
A nice narrative covering the process of a nondenominational church trying to model the historical new testament church and in the process converting to Orthodoxy. The author was once a leader of Campus Crusades back in the 60s. While others were breaking away from denominations to start bible churches and house churches, the many hours of research he and his colleagues put in led them back to the liturgical service and early Christian traditions of the first few centuries AD. A casual, interest...more
dc
The first half was excellent. He and his friends honest searched to find the best expression of what they believed to be biblical community. I applaud their commitment to follow the hunt. But once he agreed to accept orthodox belief in the handed down traditions, he no longer was able to rigorously examine the issues, because he had lost his plumb line, the Scriptures.
Brian
Gillquist gives us an adequately (though not burdensome) detailed chronology of his and his colleague's progression from Protestantism to Orthodoxy, which spanned some fifteen years. I can well relate to many of Gillquist's disenchantments with Protestantism and his inclination toward Orthodoxy, so I found his book especially interesting and readable.
Josh Maddox
Interesting story to say the least, but the breathless writing style was clearly a holdover from the author's previous evangelical Protestantism.
Cory Howell
Even though I think his writing isn't that great, the story Gillquist tells is amazing. His journey from Evangelical Christianity to Eastern Orthodoxy is remarkable. The book is a good basic introduction to Orthodoxy for the non-Orthodox, especially inquirers into the Orthodox faith.
Julia Cutler
It was a great inspiration and encouragement for my husband and I because we are now Catechumens in the Orthodox Church and we felt we could relate to the struggle and questions that were presented in the book! May Fr. Peter Gillquist Memory be eternal!
Philip Ryan
Peter Gilquist spearheaded the evangelical exodus for Constantinople. This book is a good read but the reasons for joining the Orthodox church are shallow - basically, the ancient church did this, this, and this so should we.
Dan
I enjoyed the first two parts of this book. The justifications given for various Orthodox practices are simplistic, but the goal was not to serve as an apologetic but as a biography. Overall pretty good.
Ron
An interesting story of a group of evangelicals heavily involved in Campus Crusade for Christ and while researching how to be the first century church, discovered Orthodoxy and were "welcomed home".
Joanna
May 19, 2007 Joanna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone interested in Christ
Finished parts 1, 3 and epilogue. A moving story with historical accounts presented in a way that let me read half a book in just one morning.
Anna
Good read, I think though it helped knowing one of the clergy members that was included in this large group that joined the Orthodox faith.
Derek Hale
The first half of the book (where Gillquist traces their journey from evangelicalism to EO) is interesting. After that...meh.
Sheppard  Hobgood
This is one of the important books to read for anyone exploring and contemplating Christian Orthodoxy.
Northern
Nov 21, 2012 Northern rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians who are considering Orthodoxy
Excellent book. If you're considering becoming Orthodox, this should be one of the first books you read.
Joshua Claybourn
As a relative newcomer to the Orthodox tradition, this was a great primer.
Jeremy
Interesting journey but the theology apologetics were wack.
Jonathan
The book that started me on my path to the Orthodox Church.
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
  • The Orthodox Church
  • The Orthodox Study Bible: Ancient Christianity Speaks to Today's World
  • Beginning to Pray
  • Great Lent: Journey to Pascha
  • Facing East: A Pilgrim's Journey into the Mysteries of Orthodoxy
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • Father Arseny, 1893-1973: Priest, Prisoner, Spiritual Father: Being the Narratives Compiled by the Servant of God Alexander Concerning His Spiritual Father
  • The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church
  • Everyday Saints and Other Stories
  • John Climacus: The Ladder of Divine Ascent (The Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • Our Thoughts Determine Our Lives:  The Life and Teachings of Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
  • The Philokalia, Volume 1: The Complete Text; Compiled by St. Nikodimos of the Holy Mountain & St. Markarios of Corinth
  • The Life of Moses
  • On the Apostolic Preaching
  • The Beauty of the Infinite: The Aesthetics of Christian Truth
  • Being as Communion: Studies in Personhood and the Church
  • On the Divine Images
  • Early Christian Writings: The Apostolic Fathers
Coming Home Let's Quit Fighting About the Holy Spirit Love is Now Facing Up to Mary Entering God's Kingdom

“It's time we capture our imaginations for Christ” 18 likes
“People are not being reached in the context of the body of Christ--they're like newborn babies being left on a doorstep somewhere to feed and care for themselves.” 4 likes